The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Backwards reverb?
Old 23rd August 2007
Here for the gear

Backwards reverb?

Just wanted to know if someone knows what FX is used on the Trentemöller remix on Röyksopp's "What Else is there" right where the singing starts. Is it some kind of backwards reverb?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

cant be bothered to listen to the track (you gave no link) but assumingh it is real backwards reverb, you need to experiment with recording the reverb from a track

use logic (not the sequencer, i mean brain-logic) and a pen and paper and you can work it out right!

yeah?... think about it.. it's a digital variation on the old "spool the tape forward fully, Take off the reel of tape and put it on the left hub so it is turned back to front"

just work it out, it's not hard and is a great effect (you can sue the same technique to make those dramatic long 'fade-in' reversed tails)
Old 24th August 2007
i have a different approach to that matter, i reverse the audio first, then apply reverb, then reverse again. dunno how much the sound gets altered (i use cubase sx3), but this is a technique a friend of mine and talented producer of electronic music, James Holden, once taught me and works well for vocals
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

any audio example ? ?
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

The original poster is referring to this track.

As stated above, it's a simple matter of reversing a sample, applying reverb, then reversing it again.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'll put the sound in Wavelab, add blank space to the end of the file, process/render the reverb I want to it, then flip the entire thing backwards. Sorry no examples up at my page this time, although I've done it successfully many times.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmasepsilon View Post
i reverse the audio first, then apply reverb, then reverse
What he said!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

While we're on the subject. I was listening to some old Queen record and noticed a few interesting mix and production tricks. One of them was backward reverb on the vocals. Just here and there on the right words or the right notes. They must have turned the tape around and played it backwards, recorded the reverb and then turned it around again. I have yet to try it but I would record it to it's own audio track (in the digital world) and then ride the levels in the mix. It's a beautiful and powerful trick.

Kalli

ps. The Queen album was The Miracle and the song was Breakthrough. Although I'm sure they did use this trick often and probably started it in the seventies.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Head

Exactly... This is easy to do- Just solo the word, phrase, or sound with a big reverb... Reverse the audio file and chop it to your liking...place it before the original sample... Sounds good when used sparingly...and good for buildups when done with synth sounds, drums, whatever you like...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search