The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The best loop chopping plugin? DAW Software
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

The best loop chopping plugin?

I've asked a long time ago for asistance on few production forums, but didn't get any answer..

so, I need to chop some mp3's (beats from them, or just take stabbs) and some loops..

whacha say?

Peace
Old 20th August 2007
there is a chopper in Logic. (strip silence)
I also use recycle, which is ok. not really a plugin.
I was looking at Lucifer2 (realtime cuts at tempo based intervals) but that isn't available anymore. (??) I'd like to buy it, but the guy doesn't answer my emails. very strange.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
there is a chopper in Logic. (strip silence)
I also use recycle, which is ok. not really a plugin.
I was looking at Lucifer2 (realtime cuts at tempo based intervals) but that isn't available anymore. (??) I'd like to buy it, but the guy doesn't answer my emails. very strange.
hmmm.. u r probably talkin bout RXP... I've used it.. (in FL, but I dont know if it would work in SX3) and loved it.. but, it had only his loops.. wich are great, but.. I couldn't chop any of my mp3's in it.. somebody told me to use recycle to chop and then play it in rxp, but those two werent compatible... :?

any other? I'm looking for a plug such as RXP..

peace
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Maniac

ni intakt & guru both do this
Old 20th August 2007
sounda like a manual job for a wave editor. not really a plugin.
sound forge, wavelab, recycle, wave surgeon, acid are all adequate for cutting up waves/beats.
Old 20th August 2007
Gear Head

If your using Pro Tools use Tab to Transient or beat detective. It will take seconds!
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Maniac

doing it w/ recycle or a wav editor is pretty tedious... intakt is pretty solid for doing this. it has various effects and functionality on top of just the slicing. another good one is phatmatik pro. once you set all your slice points you can drag and drop it into your sequencer to create a midi file... can do the same thing with guru if i'm not mistaken.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcekode View Post
ni intakt & guru both do this
Wasn't Intakt discontinued?
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

You young whippersnappers... back in MY day we had to use the rotary encoder to indicate start/end times for a sample section to be copied to a new key... we didn't have fancy software with a slider that "read" the transient peaks for us... and we liked it! lol
Old 21st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
Wasn't Intakt discontinued?
yes, it's functions are also in Kontakt. incl. the chopper.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Head

Take a look at EnergyXT2 - it's not a dedicated loop chopper, but it handles it those duties with ease - probably the most intuitive REX handling of any sequencer I've seen. It can also chop up audio loops.
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

i've used phatmatik and wasnt very satisfied...

how do you chop a loop in guru?

thanks...
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatMan View Post

thanks...
Really I've never used it, but got recommended it. What didn't you like? Maybe I should get something else or use Logics strip silence.

Is Strip Silence good for chopping up loops?
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatMan View Post

thanks...
you select a loop, and it maps the 4 best kick to the kick pads the 4 best snares to the snare pads and so on across the 16 pads

it does an OK job most of the time, there are different chopping sensitivity settings etc.

you then program beats into the grid with midi

i believe guru now has been updated to include REX support
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luko View Post
you select a loop, and it maps the 4 best kick to the kick pads the 4 best snares to the snare pads and so on across the 16 pads

it does an OK job most of the time, there are different chopping sensitivity settings etc.

you then program beats into the grid with midi

i believe guru now has been updated to include REX support
damn.. I like this.. but, what when I wanna chop some mp3 and then use the stabbs from it.. rex is a recycle file?
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

yeah well its not a loop chopper, it choops drum loops into single hits and then chooses the strongest 4 of each type of hit

it can be a bit hit and miss, but generally it works ok,

yes REX is recycle format, however people are saying they get the chopping more accurate in recycle then bring the rex in, guru sounds alot better

i do believe they have done some considerable work on the slicing algorithym tho
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
yes, it's functions are also in Kontakt. incl. the chopper.
Your response just made me re-visit Kontakt. I threw a loop in there chopped it up and started freaking it with Kontakts 'drum sequencing' script. Pretty insane how fast it had been transformed.

NI's stuff is so buggy though. I am always afraid to really incorporate it as a major part of my workflow. May have to dig deeper on this front however.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search