The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Future Retro Revolution vs 777 Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

Future Retro Revolution vs 777

I'm considering buying a Revolution.. I want a heavy 303 clone, that is easy to manipulate live and runs via Midi...
But I would prefer the 777 from the samples Ive heard..
Has anyone got experience of the two ? How do they compare ?
Anyone have any idea where I could pick up a 777 without paying silly money ?
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

Between the two the 777 is better, not very easy to find though, so I can't help you there. My friend has a revo, and the other a 777, and the 777 has a lot more options, and can basically be like a heavily modified 303 etc.
Old 19th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobian View Post
and can basically be like a heavily modified 303 etc.
I guess so.
I owned one and couldn't get on with it, so I sold it.
The best thing about it was the Roland style sequencer.
But if I wanted a 303 sound, I think I'd rather have a 303.
Old 19th August 2007
Lives for gear

i owned a 777 for a while and wish i still had it. it's so versatile as a monosynth. you can get some really twisted leads out of it. just really crazy modulating craziness that is also musical and just funky as hell. also, it does great percussion.. nice kick drums and great plingy tappy bouncey stuff w/a snappy attack. really can't go wrong w/it. it's sooooooo much more than just a 303 clone though it can do that pretty well.

the revolution sounds closer to a 303.. almost perfect but not quite.. maybe 99.999999998% of the way there. it has a broader range than a 303 and can get a little weirder and just has a slight different tone.. perhaps it's the filter? not sure what it is.. maybe it's the sequencer? the revolution is dead simple to program and really quite fun to jam on and has some great features for playing live.. you can't really go wrong w/it either...

but if you want a 303 w/o any question.. then get a 303... though it's not as fun to jam w/as a revolution.. the sequencer on the revolution is just so accessible.

this track is revolution, 606, 909 and abelton live for FX..

http://www.ignatiusmusic.com/dudebounce.mp3

it's the last 15 minutes of a 3 hour jam and was the first time my friend and i jammed together. kind of a sloppy track but it will give you an idea of what the revolution sounds like in context. you just need to get past the distorted toms in the beginning heh

Old 19th August 2007
Gear Addict

I had this dilemma a while back and ended up getting the revolution (partly as I couldn't get my hands on the 777 for a reasonable price). It certainly didn't disappoint me, mainly because of its ease of use. It's a real inventive piece of equipment, you can knock out bass/lead lines in minutes...recommended.

Sound wise it's pretty damn close to a 303. Obviously it gets limited in what sounds can be got out of it, but I often hook it up to external gear and just use the sequencer, which is its selling point for me.
Old 25th May 2013
Lives for gear

if i had a spare $1,777 laying around:

Future Retro 777 Synthesizer RARE Silver | eBay

straight from jared, pristine mean and clean:

Up for auction is the Future Retro 777 from our private collection. This unit is brand new in the box. This unit in particular was the last Rev B model made (providing the more aggressive distortion), and also has the very rare hand-brushed/screenprinted front panel. Only 2 of these have previously been sold to the public.

This unit comes with OS V3, was just updated with the temperature compensation mod for better oscillator pitch stability, and new power supply capacitors installed. A brand new back up battery was also installed, and the unit retuned.

Unit will come with a new power supply and owners manual. Also comes with our 1 year warranty.

If you've been contemplating getting a 777, here's a chance to own an amazing looking, and truely awesome sounding one!

sorry to bump such and thread, this was the most 777 directly related one i could find

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search