The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
the best sounding phono turntable pre amp ? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 16th August 2007
Gear Addict

the best sounding phono turntable pre amp ?

never seen a post like this, im curious,
if some one has done the A/B test ?

the audio-technica atus am150 sounds great + yellow audio technica needles+cartridge, exept usign the REC out that sounds awful,

the emu 1820m "at +4dB" has a phono pre,
by specs. it looks better than rane ps-1 specs,

in jrrshop they review the stanton t120c phono pre that sounds almost as good as Rane high end rotary mixer mp2016, the urei 1620 look a like

the audio technica at120 phono pre ? sounds equal as am150 mixer ?

i dont like the urei 1620 sound, too colored for me, sounds like a casset tape machine to me

gemini vs. behringer, the eq in gemini its better sounding, but the phono ?
vs. numark ?
vs. pioneer djm400 ? i dont like the pioneer eqs
allen & health v mixer phono pre ?
xone mixer phono pre?
what could be the best sounding phono pre ?

i know that millenia media made a $5k us.dls phono-pre,
but i mean something a normal djs/clubs can afford, no need for 78rpm eq curve, and vintage restoration stuff like that

has anyone tryed to use a mic-pre as a phono pre ?
like tcelectronic.com gold channel
or those phono pres without RIAA eq curve

ive tryed, with the verry transparent tfpro mic-pre in 1820m and sounds interesting,
with a custom rca to xlr cable

and adding a digital EQ, low shelf +20dB high shelf -20dB
with izotope ozone or kjaerhusaudio.com geq7 or sonic flavors dq7 for example ? or usign linear phase matching eq in izotope ozone ? taking the phono pre riaa as source and the mic-pre as target

has anyone tryed to upgrade , moddify a phono pre with higher quality resitors, capacitors and stuff ?
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

The best sounding phono pre-amps are the Manley Steelhead, the FM Acoustics and the Boulder.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

best one i'v ever heard was on a vintage urei 1620 knob mixer.
simply incredible.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

These Urei are incredible!

thumbsup
Attached Thumbnails
the best sounding phono turntable pre amp ?-urei_1122.jpg  
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

needledoctor.com sells lot's of phono pre's. i bought one form them several years ago. nothing special but it sounds full, clean etc. they have cheap to ridiculous audiophile expensive ones.
Old 16th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
thumbsup
i bet it does. the older urei stuff is something special.
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Addict

Harvey Electronics - Results

What do you guys think of this compared to that on a Roland Mv8800? I do quite a bit of one-shot sampling from vinyl right through the Mv's phono pre and it sounds alright. Do you think I would truly hear a difference replacing it with this one?
Old 18th August 2007
Gear Nut

The phono amplification on my Ecler Hak 320 sounded great. Clean sounding -24 +10 dB eqs. Tight low end! Too bad I wore it out gigging

I noticed a significant loss in quality when I moved to a Vestax PCM 05 III.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

i use an old luxman l-80-v as preamp (10.000x better then my pioneer av amp)
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxy View Post
never seen a post like this, im curious,
if some one has done the A/B test ?

the audio-technica atus am150 sounds great + yellow audio technica needles+cartridge, exept usign the REC out that sounds awful,

the emu 1820m "at +4dB" has a phono pre,
by specs. it looks better than rane ps-1 specs,

in jrrshop they review the stanton t120c phono pre that sounds almost as good as Rane high end rotary mixer mp2016, the urei 1620 look a like

the audio technica at120 phono pre ? sounds equal as am150 mixer ?

i dont like the urei 1620 sound, too colored for me, sounds like a casset tape machine to me

gemini vs. behringer, the eq in gemini its better sounding, but the phono ?
vs. numark ?
vs. pioneer djm400 ? i dont like the pioneer eqs
allen & health v mixer phono pre ?
xone mixer phono pre?
what could be the best sounding phono pre ?

i know that millenia media made a $5k us.dls phono-pre,
but i mean something a normal djs/clubs can afford, no need for 78rpm eq curve, and vintage restoration stuff like that

has anyone tryed to use a mic-pre as a phono pre ?
like tcelectronic.com gold channel
or those phono pres without RIAA eq curve

ive tryed, with the verry transparent tfpro mic-pre in 1820m and sounds interesting,
with a custom rca to xlr cable

and adding a digital EQ, low shelf +20dB high shelf -20dB
with izotope ozone or kjaerhusaudio.com geq7 or sonic flavors dq7 for example ? or usign linear phase matching eq in izotope ozone ? taking the phono pre riaa as source and the mic-pre as target

has anyone tryed to upgrade , moddify a phono pre with higher quality resitors, capacitors and stuff ?
Have you tried a vintage Bozak rotary mixer?
Far superior to a Urei 1620....

I actually like my old Vestax PCM46 - not the MKII!
IMO it's quite underrated and the pres sound full and warm,
definitely coloured, though, so it might not be your thing....
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatius View Post
i bet it does. the older urei stuff is something special.
I have a Shure that looks like the UREI in the picture. Sounds great. Balanced outs!
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have designed several and used to sell what I thought was a quite respectable pre, but I may have been biased.

I will offer this tidbit based on my experience.... typical MM phono cartridges can exhibit audible frequency response differences in the top octave due to differences in capacitive termination. Further the capacitance of typical shielded phono cables can be significant in this context. If too much input + cable capacitance is rolling off your top end, restoring that with EQ, will boost noise and distortion along with the lost input signal.

I wouldn't waste too much effort and geld on getting a preamp with .01dB RIAA playback curve accuracy, if you blow response by a couple dB with the termination.

I would suggest researching the reccomended termination capacitance for the cartridge you plan to use. Subtract from that the nominal capacitance of your turntable/tone arm, and preamp of choice's built-in termination. This will tell you your cable capacitance budget in pF. Since better cables will specify the pF/foot, you can dial in your nominal termination by length and rated capacitance per foot phono cables used. If you are already out of cable capacitance budget you need to either modify or replace the phono preamp with one using a smaller fixed termination. There are low capacitance cables, but none with negative capacitance.

Long ago in my kit company I sold a small add on termination board with 4 high quality (polystyrene) caps and a dip switch so you could dial in capacitance as needed with 25 pF resolution, but that was a couple decades ago.

JR

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search