The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
GForce absolutely killing it!
Old 1 week ago
  #91
Lives for gear
 
Quite right RT ... and additionally remember that "the real thing" can only be produced by a select group of manufacturers, ie b1 & B2! B)
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #92
Lives for gear
 
adydub's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➡️
I think it's simpler to resolve the forum into two groups: a) the group that doesn't worry about hardware vs. soft and will find this sounds glorious; and b) the analogue hardware faithful for whom no emulation will never be like the real thing.

a) will not convince b); b) will not convince a) of anything.

Carry on.
I’m in group c) the group that uses both hardware and software but is aware of the strengths and weaknesses of both. I have to note that people have been saying that emus are indistinguishable from the original for years now yet the emus somehow keep getting closer meaning they weren’t actually that perfect in the first place...
Old 1 week ago
  #93
Gear Guru
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Indistinguishable != "perfect", tho Perfection doesn't exist.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #94
Lives for gear
 
mu:zines's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
Indistinguishable != "perfect", tho Perfection doesn't exist.
And neither does objective perception. One person's "sounds the same" is another person's "sounds nothing like". This, GS has taught us over the years...

Also - instant writing something off from one example from YouTube...

We should all be able to judge a bit better from tomorrow, by the looks anyway.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #95
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➡️
I’m in group c) the group that uses both hardware and software but is aware of the strengths and weaknesses of both. I have to note that people have been saying that emus are indistinguishable from the original for years now yet the emus somehow keep getting closer meaning they weren’t actually that perfect in the first place...
I think people would be a lot more accepting of software if they just judge it based on what is sounds like compared to what they personally own. I get that there’s going to always be a difference between an emulation and what is emulated, but what good is it to make a buying decision based on how far it is from something that you a) don’t have and b) will never have. This isn’t for someone who’s got a SEM 8 voice, so if that’s you, move along. Nothing to see here... unless you find something that it does (like preset memory) useful. Might be an excellent way to “bring” your 8 Voice SEM to a gig while leaving it home.

My evaluation of any instrument goes like this:
  1. Does it sound good?
  2. Does it sound unique to what I already own?
  3. Does it do something that will lead me to interesting results that I can’t easily get with what I have?
  4. Do I feel the purchase price justifies what benefits it will bring to my setup?

So, I will be comparing OB-E to my ATC-X’s SEM. Not really a SEM clone, but in the family.

Arturia’s SEM V, which I already have a hunch that it will beat it handily.

Diva in SEM mode.

Brainworx’s bx_oberhausen. This is the one to beat, IMO.

I’m not sure why people are interested in putting it up next to Obsession and OB-Xa V. They’re different animals, IMO.

What will be more interesting is what they add to their emulation. Obsession and OB-Xa V both have some interesting additions that make them welcome in my plugin folder. I hope there’s some cool goodies.
Old 1 week ago
  #96
Lives for gear
 
Snorktop's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Hey come on now, I use software more than hardware, so that means I can’t admit this doesn’t sound like my OB-X? But it sounds very nice.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #97
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mu:zines ➡️
And neither does objective perception. One person's "sounds the same" is another person's "sounds nothing like". This, GS has taught us over the years...
The sound of Obsession and OB-Xa V are so different that I have to question whether one of them was based on an instrument that had been modified in some way, or that emulation closeness was kind of thrown out the window at some point and a different goal was aimed for. My guess is that Obsession is closer to the real deal, but I don’t care. I find both to sound great in different ways. Obsession has a more authentic vibe and MPE, OB-Xa V has a much wider parameter range and a cool function generator for modulation tricks that no OB-Xa could ever do. Are either of them the same as an OB-Xa? Of course not, but if that’s the only thing you care about, I’m not even sure why you would open this thread. Just use your OB-Xa and ignore software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorktop ➡️
Hey come on now, I use software more than hardware, so that means I can’t admit this doesn’t sound like my OB-X? But it sounds very nice.
Why would you even make a statement like that when this isn’t an OB-X emulation? It would be like someone saying, “this sounds nothing like my OB-6.” Of course you can say that, but what would be your point?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #98
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
Brainworx’s bx_oberhausen. This is the one to beat, IMO.
Was very impressed by that one.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #99
Lives for gear
 
Hey, here's an idea, and I may be going off on a tangent with all the high-minded discussion going on, but...

... how about maybe -- just maybe -- we could wait until the product is released and *then* we can pass judgement?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #100
Gear Guru
 
zerocrossing's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment ➡️
Hey, here's an idea, and I may be going off on a tangent with all the high-minded discussion going on, but...

... how about maybe -- just maybe -- we could wait until the product is released and *then* we can pass judgement?
But I have typing to do!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #101
I may just have to add this one to my collection!

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #102
Gear Addict
 
Pythonis Rogue's Avatar
It's kind of frustrating that the hardware version of this synthesizer, from the authentic source and not a clone, is not going to be in the cards for many who have a passion for the Oberheim sound. And it's tough to really be a good judge of finite authenticity unless you own or have owned the real McCoy. But for me, and I suspect the majority of musicians, this emulation will be more than capable as a production tool. It sounds beautiful to me.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #103
Gear Nut
 
Jesus Christ's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory ➡️
Those electrical, buzzy-sizzling harmonics seem to always be where the softies come up a little bit wanting.
Yeah, OK.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #104
Lives for gear
 
REwire's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I don't care how close it gets to a real Obie 8 Voice; all I know is it doesn't sound like any other VSTi and has a unique character and configuration that put it in a class by itself.

I hope the SEMs light up when you play notes in sequence or chords so you can see which one you are playing.

Not to mention, but when Tom Oberheim SEMS were around I made a 4 Voice setup to play polyphonically. That alone was a pain and to tell you the truth, this VSTi sounds more vintage then the new SEMS.

Dan
Old 1 week ago
  #105
Lives for gear
 
redloheb's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Classic gearslutz "I don't care how close this emulation, it's bad" and "I don't care how far this emulation, it's good" in the same thread.

Last edited by redloheb; 1 week ago at 07:30 AM..
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #106
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythonis Rogue ➡️
It's kind of frustrating that the hardware version of this synthesizer, from the authentic source and not a clone, is not going to be in the cards for many who have a passion for the Oberheim sound. And it's tough to really be a good judge of finite authenticity unless you own or have owned the real McCoy.
I think enough have the mono version.
Just some imagination needed to get the 8 voice sound from that.

And i wouldn't expect a 100% impartial judgement from them for obvious psychological reasons.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #107
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl ➡️
I knew it was a vst as I was pulling my car into my driveway, just had the vibe yanno...it just didnt have the harmonic distortion, that extra nth percent that the real hardware has in my mind before I listened to it. So yeah great demo but how do they get those little ships in bottles...real questions for the real world.
There are desk plugins for that too.. Add a slight bit of saturation and drive
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #108
Moderator
 
Don Solaris's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEM3310 ➡️
The OB's SVF has a pair of OTA-based integrators, which have an intrinsically non-linear response when driven at moderate input amplitudes.
I still regret not buying a SEM when I had a chance for 900 notes.

I have an OB-1, and since I was never a big fan of BPF and HPF I thought I would never need a SEM. OB-1 and SEM share the same VCO design, while the filters are completely different. OB-1 does not have a "SEM based filter set into permanent LPF" as I once thought, but it's a completely different design later I found out.

Few years later eventually I had chance to play the new SEM Pro. And it just made that facepalm hurt more. Anyone got a broken (non Pro) SEM for sale please PM me.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #109
Lives for gear
 
Snorktop's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
Why would you even make a statement like that when this isn’t an OB-X emulation?
They share a lot of similarities. The SEMs are even bigger and more intense. This software does not sound very close to vintage Oberheim hardware imo, more reminiscent of it. Call me a cork sniffer, but it should be pretty obvious if you listen to demos of the actual hardware.

But it sounds very nice in its own right. I'd probably buy it and use it like crazy.

Nevertheless, anyone else besides me who uses it should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #110
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire ➡️
I don't care how close it gets to a real Obie 8 Voice; all I know is it doesn't sound like any other VSTi and has a unique character and configuration that put it in a class by itself.

I hope the SEMs light up when you play notes in sequence or chords so you can see which one you are playing.

Not to mention, but when Tom Oberheim SEMS were around I made a 4 Voice setup to play polyphonically. That alone was a pain and to tell you the truth, this VSTi sounds more vintage then the new SEMS.

Dan
I also had 4 sem reissues setup polyphonically and in my opinion there isn’t enough demo in this one video to declare whether it nails the reissue let alone the originals. Until I hear more demos, if all I had to go by is this one demo, it’s not quite there. And since I’ve never played an original sem I can’t quite comment whether it sounds more vintage than the reissues.

I’m pretty sure when a trial version comes out, I’ll know within a few minutes if it comes close to sounding like real analog. And people don’t need to have owned an 8 voice to be the judge, owning a single sem, reissue or original can give you quite enough info.

I’m super excited to try this vst because I do miss my 4 sem setup. Having individual as well as grouped control of each voice is what many people have been wanting from a poly. Even if it doesn’t nail the original or reissue I’ll be tempted to get the vst for this reason alone, as long as it comes relatively close to sounding like real analog.

If it absolutely nails even the reissue, or if any vst really nails analog sometime in the future, it would be game changing to my hybrid setup, making working purely itb more attractive. But for now imo vsts like diva and repro are so very close but not quite there yet.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #111
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt ➡️
Ignorant people who think they know better than a well respected hardware/software expert...
The essence of Gearslutz...

"buzzy harmonics"
Sounds like Tinnitus or a beehive nearby.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #112
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➡️
I still regret not buying a SEM when I had a chance for 900 notes.

I have an OB-1, and since I was never a big fan of BPF and HPF I thought I would never need a SEM. OB-1 and SEM share the same VCO design, while the filters are completely different. OB-1 does not have a "SEM based filter set into permanent LPF" as I once thought, but it's a completely different design later I found out.

Few years later eventually I had chance to play the new SEM Pro. And it just made that facepalm hurt more. Anyone got a broken (non Pro) SEM for sale please PM me.
This is how an OB-1 sounds. Despise all technical similarities between SEM ans OB-1, they do sound very different side by side, the OB-1 being way more fatter and aggressive if needed. I could test for a long time at home OB-1 and the new SEM with patch panel.

There is no way such big sound as the OB-1’s is the base comparison for the coming Gforce OB. The SEM has to sound tamer if you want to use eight voices of that sound polyphonically.

Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #113
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDisco ➡️
There are desk plugins for that too.. Add a slight bit of saturation and drive
Not in my car or imagination!


Anyway I have Arturia SEM and the BX Oberhausen and theres something about the sound I dont like...I think theres just something about 70s synths that doesnt gel with me.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #114
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
IT'S UP!!
Old 6 days ago
  #115
Gear Guru
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
...and no Windows version. WTF!
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #116
Gear Nut
 
Synthi's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years

Mac only!!
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #117
Lives for gear
 
rsaintjohn's Avatar


Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #118
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthi ➡️

Mac only!!
Why is this a problem? I thought GS has already decided it's ****!?
Old 6 days ago
  #119
Moderator
 
Reptil's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
video posted without comment
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #120
Lives for gear
 
sakamoto's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Mac only!!

📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 151 views: 17137
Avatar for sds1fs1r
sds1fs1r 4th September 2020
replies: 204 views: 6462
Avatar for Ari-M.
Ari-M. 6 hours ago
replies: 50 views: 4482
Avatar for abernathy
abernathy 2 days ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump