The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog: What's next for 2021?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Moog: What's next for 2021?

Moog didn't make any announcement at NAMM and this year's Musikmesse is re-scheduled for October. What could be their next synth and when do you believe that they will release it?

I feel that something is missing from their product line. Something like a premium mono with vintage character and patch memory... a new "Voyager" maybe.

Someone could say that they want to re-introduce their modular roots to the masses with their "Mother" line of products, but, the Matriarch is a radically different approach compared to that of a Voyager. Its sound is not refined, big and creamy like Voyager's and it's obviously oriented towards the modular crowd and those who really wanted a big sounding polyphonic Moog but they can live with the compromise of thinner paraphonic chords instead of that. The web is full of ambient and modular "bleep-blop" Matriarch demos, full of delay effects. Is this what they want to do now with their old school sounding line of products?

Where is the functionality of a synth with a patch memory and the hifi, big and creamy tone of Little Phatty / Voyager? Do you believe that we'll see something like that, or maybe something else like a true polyphonic Moog with basic features?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Matriarch was not so long ago?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's from 2019 (Summer or Fall iirc)

They usually make revisions too. It's not that a Matriarch can replace a Voyager though.. That's what I'm trying to describe above. They had a premium mono synth at around $3000 and now there is nothing there. There is a big gap between a Matriarch and a Moog One.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm hoping they make good on their vocoder from Moogfest a few years ago. They eventually put out the DFAM and Subharmonicon, so I will hold out hope.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

They should reissue the memorymoog, look at all those p5s flying off the shelves
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider ➡️
They should reissue the memorymoog, look at all those p5s flying off the shelves
A new memorymoog would be awesome. I don't expect something like that as their next synth though, because it could be tremendously expensive, to the point where it couldn't exist as a normal version but only as a limited re-issue.

It seems that after Bob's passing, they had a hard time keeping up with his standards. They made some highly popular and reliable new synths, but they never got back to the tone of his last designs. I wonder if this was a choice of economics or just the lack in their ability to design something with an equally great sound.

I'm afraid that they will stuck to the modern sound of their Subsequent synths and the modular aspect of the Mother line.

The Matriarch, IMHO, can be improved with a more creamy / less saturated sound. If they keep that idea, remove the patch points and add patch memory, they might make a new monophonic king, similar to Voyager. Something that could fit between the Matriarch and the One.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Musicmesse is not a synth thing anymore and NAMM increasingly less and less. It’s all about Superbooth and has been for a while already.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Poly Sirin Keyboard. Keep it simple, with patch memory, keep the looks + maybe wooden sides, leave it under 2k and it would be love.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarelch ➡️
Poly Sirin Keyboard. Keep it simple, with patch memory, keep the looks + maybe wooden sides, leave it under 2k and it would be love.
There are so many people who want a new Moog synth, based on Sirin (or a new Sirin). I haven't heard many demos, but judging by the sound of Minitaur, this couldn't be a bad thing...especially with a keyboard and some more functions. I prefer that sound compared to the tone of the Subsequent 25/37 synths.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think all the R&D they put in the One was too valuable to pay itself off in One (pun intended) single product. I'd expect elements of it, most obviousy the oscillators and filters, to trickle down to less expensive synths with preset memories, mono or poly. They'll have to be careful however not to enter an internal competition with the Subsequent line, which is still doing pretty well I think.

Regarding their semimodulars, yes I'd love to see them release the vocoder...and wasn't there also a Brother From Another Mother?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I hope it's something in the Voyager RME form factor.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
The coolest looking voyager IMO was the XL with that crazy patch bay. It’d be cool if they did a voyager 2.0 that had a really extensive patch bay on the side. However! It should compete with the matrixbrute too. What I mean is, the patch bay would also have button just like the matrixbrute, so you could save internal routings with presets. If you wanted to patch internal routings with cables you could do that too, but the synth would digitally record these physical patching when saving a preset. Aside from external cv in patches, you’d be able to recall these semi-modular patches with ease.

On top of that, the voyager 2.0 should include plentiful onboard sample storage. Not for sound generation per se, but for running a utility that would sample each note on a patch, with various settings. For example, it would sample every note, with every value of the mod wheel and pitch bend (0-127). You’d have tons of samples sure, but then you could play any patch polyphonically and still use the performance tools.

This to me would be the next step
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

They should make a software synth that resynthesizes the average of everything that was uploaded to SoundCloud that day, but keeps the resultant "song" under 4 minutes. They should also resynthesize 4 or 5 other music sites while they're at it, and people could vote each day on the winner. I'm not sure whether Moog is the right company for this, but someone should do it. They could pay for it with sticky orange banner ads at the bottom of your screen.

Someone should make a video resynthesizer too, so we can use it on all the remakes and sequels, to make something new.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
^ This .

They successfully re-issued their iconic mono (I love mine ). Now it's time to re-issue their iconic poly. I suspect they could make the necessary modern tweaks as they did with the D to make a MM RI an even bigger hit. It would be completely different than the One, with which I never quite gelled, even whilst trying very hard to. Just keep the heat sink method, but improved, and don't even think about including fans like on the One.

As far considering the Voyager or a re-issue of same... there are thousands of these out there, many essentially brand new. I would be ecstatic if they would FINISH THE VOYAGER'S INCOMPLETE OS to correctly allow for polychaining - to create a correctly operating Two-V to Poly-V. And if it comes down to literally not having enough memory space to make any firmware/OS updates (as Moog have previously communicated through the grapevine), then develop an expanded memory upgrade path to retrofit existing Voyagers and RME's, so Bob's masterpiece mono will finally be completed as he (and the thousands of owners) wanted.

The one-man shop Baloran just shipped out FX EPROM upgrade chips for The River gratis to those who requested one. This adds new reverb FX to units in the field via a simple install procedure (requiring opening up the synth). Why couldn't something like this be implemented for the Voyager, but with new memory (or chip) and a completed OS? Then Moog can simply re-issue the Voyager line as a way of saying thank you to Bob, the thousands of V owners, and potential new owners like @ Spectral Climax , who will know that the V they are getting is a completed masterpiece.

The new Voyagers could have the slew rate mod already added with a menu option to turn it on or off, just like changing from 4-pole to 2-pole filters.

The V series has a HUGE installed base of users and is still one of, if not thee, best mono synths of all time, even when compared to its sonically complementary Daddy D. They each have their advantages and disadvantages, but they set the standard for what killer mono synths are all about, from manual beast to preset beast. The M is now the semi-modular manual beast and covers that ground so well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Remember when you could go on Moog's website and order your own custom Voyager? I hope they bring that back, I never did get my white wash Voyager with green LEDs I wanted when I was 16
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've always wanted a glow in the dark synth with blacklight reflective color coded knobs, but buttons that lit from below, or with an embedded LED (so I could see whether they're on when the blacklight is on, too).

Not sure, maybe Moog isn't the right company for this, either. Actually, looking around, my Mono Station might be getting painted soon.

But if Moog made a synth that looked like the space shuttle by day, but glowed in the dark, and no tacky fluorescent knobs, it would be better than that gold one they made.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Minimoog 😜
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Maybe the Spectravox will appear this year. I'd really like that multiband filter. Vocoders have so many possibilities other than 1970s robot voices.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What’s it matter?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
an MPC style groove box. lol
Old 4 weeks ago
Unless they're gonna do another Minimoog reissue or a new updated version of the Minimoog I don't care. Moog's interesting stuff consists of the modular, the Mini, the Opus 3 and the Vox Humana patch on the Poly. Everything else was either a budget synth or something that didn't work right and is massively overrated now, probably designed with minimal input from Bob anyway.

So yeah, my wishlist is an Opus3 inspired thing, more modular-via-Mother stuff, and either a mass reissue of the Minimoog or a post-Voyager update to the formula. And maybe a Mother-32 sized thing with MIDI in and a volume knob that is literally just the poly's vox humana patch.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Personally I would like Moog to release new updates of the Moog One OS.
Many of us have been submitting suggestions of new features, improvements and corrections that would be really appreciated
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevism ➡️
The coolest looking voyager IMO was the XL with that crazy patch bay.
I think so, too.

In retrospect, I’m really glad I ponied up for one while they were still available. I was hesitant at the time as it was really expensive for only a monosynth. But… wow. What an incredible instrument.

And controller! Since learning the trick of routing the CV only ribbon controller to the Mod1 input which can output MIDI CC 02 breath controller messages, it’s become among my favorite synths for controlling other synths.

It's also perfect for controlling Moogerfoogers as it includes a built-in CP-251 (which are almost impossible to find now for a reasonable price ).
Old 4 weeks ago
There was a Voyager XL in tolex on reverb a year-ish ago for an ok price and I wish I had gotten it. It looked surprisingly sharp.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
My wish would be a Subsequent49. Basically, a Subsequent37 with Voyager build quality.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Moog analogue groovebox/sampler, Moog analogue synth and drum machine sound engine, with Moog filters, delay and spring reverb, 8 monophonic tracks and paraphonic chords, 16 small pads, chromatic mode and paraphonic chord mode, lock per step function, 64 steps per pattern and song mode, full sampler editing capabilities, audio inputs and extra software editor for importing samples via usb.

Street price $ 1500!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'd be interested in a non semi-modular Matriarch with patch memory, a display and smaller foot print. Basically a Moog version of the Pro 3.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Moog Two.
32 voices * 4 oscillators + 3 filters.
Passive cooling (the whole bottom and back plate is a heat sink).
Doesn't go out of tune.
Poly aftertouch keys.
Open source firmware.
20K$

*My prediction.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Let Moog be Moog - the synth market is too crowded already and being a small American company they can't really compete on price or middle of the road features.

By that I mean the D oscillators, or even the Minitaur. What made the Voyager great is the expanders. The moggerfoogers series was imho their best work since they went back in business.

All that really requires CV to get the most out of it, since nearly every knob on their gear can be controlled by it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Huh? The Memorymoog was brought back,
in the form of the Moog One.

The Memorymoog suffered from many problems..
build quality, no midi, and a buggy operating
system. Bob Moog was gone from the
company when it was released. The One
addressed all those problems and included
features the Memorymoog never had.

I’d like to see Moog port its Minimoog D
virtual instrument from iOS to desktop
AU, VST, and AAX.
📝 Reply