The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog: What's next for 2021?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru ➡️
I'd take the Moog One over the Memory Moog any day.
Now, that's a bold statement. Do you mean over the classic Memorymoog , or over a new and more reliable synth with that Memorymoog sound?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➡️
Now, that's a bold statement. Do you mean over the classic Memorymoog , or over a new and more reliable synth with that Memorymoog sound?
The classic Memorymoog. Not that I don't like the sounds or anything like that. For me, I have a pet peave against older instruments. One is the hyper-inflated price and the other is that I much prefer "new technology" over the more antiquated tech that vintage synths have.

Sometimes I do wish, that I'd had the interest in synths back when I was in my 20's. I'm sure that by now, some of those vintage synths would be part of my collection. Now approaching 60, the Moog One is in my not too distant horizon.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
The Moog One IS their Memorymoog reissue.
Not that it sounds exactly like the old
Memorymoog, but c’mon..it even looks like it.

The Memorymoog was poorly built, had no
midi, it wasn’t even a Bob Moog product. When
you played hard on it, the display would jitter.
Why would Moog bring that back. Obviously
they decided to “reissue” it with the One,
which is far more capable, well-built, has
Midi, and at $6500 for an 8-voice, is much
more of a value than an old Memorymoog
that can’t be had for less than $10k.
I currently have both, and, other than looks, the two really don't have all that much in common. I very much prefer the MemoryMoog (mine is a plus) to the Moog One for most things (velocity, AT and XY are nice on the MO).

Certainly a matter of personal preference, but I will pick the MM over the MO any day for its sound.

My MM+ has MIDI, works perfectly, has very stable tuning, and no problems with the display. Sounds like you and I have very different experiences with the MemoryMoog and/or is just a result of mine being the plus model.

Greg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC ➡️
I currently have both, and, other than looks, the two really don't have all that much in common. I very much prefer the MemoryMoog (mine is a plus) to the Moog One for most things (velocity, AT and XY are nice on the MO).

Certainly a matter of personal preference, but I will pick the MM over the MO any day for its sound.

My MM+ has MIDI, works perfectly, has very stable tuning, and no problems with the display. Sounds like you and I have very different experiences with the MemoryMoog and/or is just a result of mine being the plus model.

Greg
Fair enough. Appreciate your honesty.
My experience with a friend’s Memorymoog
(which he bought right after it was
released) was why would I want this
headache..his was just a buggy pile of
problems and it was constantly in the
shop. I lost contact with him and don’t
know whether he kept it.

Count me as one of those who still wants
a Moog One, and who doesn’t believe
Moog will ever do a Memorymoog reissue..
although I think they might do a
“Moog Two” which would look kind of the
same but have fewer features and maybe
4 to 6 voice polyphony.

That said, if someone like Cherry Audio
does a software Memorymoog, I’m there.
The current software Memorymoogs (Memorymoon,
UVI, iK) don’t really cut it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
Fair enough. Appreciate your honesty.
My experience with a friend’s Memorymoog
(which he bought right after it was
released) was why would I want this
headache..his was just a buggy pile of
problems and it was constantly in the
shop. I lost contact with him and don’t
know whether he kept it.

Count me as one of those who still wants
a Moog One, and who doesn’t believe
Moog will ever do a Memorymoog reissue..
although I think they might do a
“Moog Two” which would look kind of the
same but have fewer features and maybe
4 to 6 voice polyphony.

That said, if someone like Cherry Audio
does a software Memorymoog, I’m there.
The current software Memorymoogs (Memorymoon,
UVI, iK) don’t really cut it.
Hey Dave - I agree - I don't see a MM reissue on the horizon - at least not from Moog Music.

i'm aware of all of the reported issues that get raised about the MM's reliability (unfortunately many of them are from non-owners on the web that are just passing on someone else's horror story).

Most of the common issues seem to be related to the poor quality of the internal ribbon cables/ connectors and the fact that until fairly recently (last few years) the Curtis chips were hard to source.

I'm aware that the MM+, like any old synth (and I have several) will ultimately need upkeep, and I won't deny that every time I hit the "tune" button my heart races as I await the "6 voices tuned' display (at least it HAS a tune button) - but mine's been rock solid do far.

It's also not very hard to calibrate if you follow the somewhat basic instruction that are well-documented (biggest challenge is reading the display while you're under the hood, and a basic understanding of hexadecimal doesn't hurt either)

Although I don't have direct hands-on experience, if mine ever gives up the ghost completely and I wanted to replace it with something more modern, I would replace it with a SE Code/Omega or The River.

Love that CEM3340 sound, which the Moog One definitely doesn't have.

I will admit, though, that perhaps the unit that I have is a bit of a "unicorn" since I was able to purchase it brand new in the box a little over a year ago from a local seller, and cost me less than what the new Prohpet 10 is going for. (knocks wood)

Finally getting around posting some unboxing photos of this time-capsule...

HAGWE!

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Moog: What's next for 2021?-mm-1.jpg   Moog: What's next for 2021?-mm-2.jpg   Moog: What's next for 2021?-mm-3.jpg   Moog: What's next for 2021?-mm-4.jpg   Moog: What's next for 2021?-mm-5.jpg  

Moog: What's next for 2021?-mm-6.jpg   Moog: What's next for 2021?-mm-7.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really wish they did a desktop subsequent 37. I really love the sound of this synth but don’t need another keyboard. That should be fairly simple and straightforward thing to do for them..

Who’s with me on this??
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I'd love to see a poly synth in the $3000 range with at least 6 voices. Moog Little One?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I don't think they will do any of these because it would cannibalize existing products, but the things that I wish they would make:

1) Mother 32 rev 2 - give it two oscillators and two ADSRs and it's the single most perfect standalone unit on the market. Basically the grandma in euro form with an extra envelope instead of the spring (except the mother sounds better!). fix 1v/oct voltage tracking so it plays nice with non moog modules right out of the box while they're at it.
2) Poly in the mother/matriarch series: 49 or 61 keys, 4 6 or 8 voices, basically the matriarch with true polyphony. throw in both the delay and the spring reverb for maximum fun or get rid of both to keep the price down. $4000 msrp findable for 3600ish...dream synth
3) Mother 32 VCO and VCF as standalone modules

Love the idea of an all analog effects Mother type unit others have mentioned, too.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hey Dave - I agree - I don't see a MM reissue on the horizon - at least not from Moog Music.

i'm aware of all of the reported issues that get raised about the MM's reliability (unfortunately many of them are from non-owners on the web that are just passing on someone else's horror story).

Most of the common issues seem to be related to the poor quality of the internal ribbon cables/ connectors and the fact that until fairly recently (last few years) the Curtis chips were hard to source.

I'm aware that the MM+, like any old synth (and I have several) will ultimately need upkeep, and I won't deny that every time I hit the "tune" button my heart races as I await the "6 voices tuned' display (at least it HAS a tune button) - but mine's been rock solid do far.

It's also not very hard to calibrate if you follow the somewhat basic instruction that are well-documented (biggest challenge is reading the display while you're under the hood, and a basic understanding of hexadecimal doesn't hurt either)

Although I don't have direct hands-on experience, if mine ever gives up the ghost completely and I wanted to replace it with something more modern, I would replace it with a SE Code/Omega or The River.

Love that CEM3340 sound, which the Moog One definitely doesn't have.

I will admit, though, that perhaps the unit that I have is a bit of a "unicorn" since I was able to purchase it brand new in the box a little over a year ago from a local seller, and cost me less than what the new Prohpet 10 is going for. (knocks wood)

HAGWE!

Greg

whaaaaaaaaaaa
Here for the gear

I hope they dont redo the old stuff and continue to do really new things. May be something MPE or Midi 2.0 related.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVR ➡️
I hope they dont redo the old stuff and continue to do really new things. May be something MPE or Midi 2.0 related.
Same for me, fed up with reissues and worshiping of 80s tones.
The One opened up fantastic new sonic horizons for me.
After two years I am still discovering new tones, constantly, as well as tiny tricks/ideas that drastically improve the tones I had found earlier.
And even thick vintage poly tones I hear on the net or on records, I can get so close I wouldn’t want those old synths even for free...
The only exception being some of Prophet cross-mod sounds. But I don’t even know if I want/need those sounds.

But I am sure the One can even go further, even without any hardware updates
And sure the machine is not perfect, there are a number of annoying things on it that should be corrected
This is why I’d rather have Moog spend their energy on that.

Cheers!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

HAGWE!

Greg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Individual MU modules, pretty please.

Oh and a One rev.2, without the fans and the other electronic maladies.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake ➡️
Asking out of curiosity since I do not own either, were the issues with the Matriarch based on its different functionality or differences in sound between the two. I wouldn't necessarily have thought the Matriarch could replace a Voyager, but I would think you could come close in sound -- maybe that's not the case. Appreciate any insights you have since the Matriarch is very tempting to me as an analog mono.
Obviously they are different. And also obviously there is some overlap, so if my Voyager died there would be worse things in life than replacing it with a Matriarch. Also, I don’t own the Matriarch, only borrowed it for two months. I found it more abrasive and more forward than the voyager, maybe there are more points in its signal chain where it can be driven a bit harder. The versatility of the oscillators also gives me the impression that the design is looser (not necessarily a bad thing), but it’s easier to “accidentally” get an unrefined sound out of it. However, the voyager has a huge, difficult to describe beefiness in its low mids (between about 80 and 300 Hz, I guess). This makes it the richest sounding synth I’ve personally ever played, and what makes me dread the day it ever dies.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness ➡️

Oh and a One rev.2, without the fans and the other electronic maladies.
Don't you mean a 3/4 (i.e. a heat-sink cooled FAT 6-voice MM Tribute with the One's OS and mod matrix)?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory ➡️
Don't you mean a 3/4 (i.e. a heat-sink cooled FAT 6-voice MM Tribute with the One's OS and mod matrix)?
Yeah, why not?

Lots of synthesizers had revisions during their life-span and some of these revisions called for a re-design at least to a certain extent. So, yeah I'd rather have that huge MM cool sink instead of the (6?) fans in the One.

Plus, they need to make their VCOs purrrrrrrr.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis ➡️
Obviously they are different. And also obviously there is some overlap, so if my Voyager died there would be worse things in life than replacing it with a Matriarch. Also, I don’t own the Matriarch, only borrowed it for two months. I found it more abrasive and more forward than the voyager, maybe there are more points in its signal chain where it can be driven a bit harder. The versatility of the oscillators also gives me the impression that the design is looser (not necessarily a bad thing), but it’s easier to “accidentally” get an unrefined sound out of it. However, the voyager has a huge, difficult to describe beefiness in its low mids (between about 80 and 300 Hz, I guess). This makes it the richest sounding synth I’ve personally ever played, and what makes me dread the day it ever dies.
Thanks! Very helpful info.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

A color box....

Stand-alone, dual mono Moog MultiDrive in a 19” rack and 500 series unit..with dry/wet control and (maybe) a DI. That would be delicious. They could even revamp that old skool 3 band Paramertic EQ and put that on there, too. That would be so fire.
📝 Reply