The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog: What's next for 2021?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #61
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDisco ➡️
4 voice moog one for a broader market?
Lol what $4999? I’m gonna stretch and say if you can afford $4999 on a synth you can afford $6499...
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #62
Gear Addict
 
Jake's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo62 ➡️
I kind of loved that about the Moogerfoogers, I used to have a handful on a pedalboard for guitar, and it was a bit cumbersome but looked and sounded amazing.

I now have 3 Moogerfoogers for my synth setup and the space is just fine.

The Minifooogers were amazing value products, I'm surprised these were discontinued.

I think the main pedal guy has gone on to build his own pedals now.
Glad the hear the designer is going to continue making pedals -- I did some research and it looks like his first new pedal is an analog delay. It's a space hog, but I love my Cluster Flux.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #63
Would be nice if the next thing were a mass-made Spectravox.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #64
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➡️
Moog Music like most small companies that very heavily rely on 3rd party manufacturing in China has been hit VERY hard with supply chain, logistics and manufacturing issues with the onset of Corona Virus.

Besides all that, travel from the USA to China has been very difficult for the past 11 months making it difficult if not impossible for people to travel from Ashville to China to oversee production of things like PCBs and the application of SMT parts on said PCBs

Other companies that already have a large permanent presence in China or who like Korg manufacture in places like Vietnam have not been hit nearly as hard
Don’t they have their boards manufactured in NC? Not just the assembly!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #65
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium ➡️
Don’t they have their boards manufactured in NC? Not just the assembly!
Nope they themselves claim around half of the components and boards are made in China
Old 1 week ago
  #66
Lives for gear
 
mallery7's Avatar
Wouldn't mind a Prodigy reissue
Old 1 week ago
  #67
Lives for gear
 
Praxisaxis's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
All summer I had a matriarch sitting next to my Voyager. It’s a nice synth but it dashed my hopes of it being a replacement. Voyager II... now that sounds interesting
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #68
Lives for gear
 
I was thinking a lot less honestly
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #69
Lives for gear
 
Moonwhistle's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium ➡️
Don’t they have their boards manufactured in NC? Not just the assembly!
It depends but before 2014-2015 it was pretty much USA all the way.

Now it's mostly made in China with hand assembly in USA. They still get some boards printed in USA but that's for the high end modular remakes.

Source: Grasspike's Mother-in-law had a cousin who had a brother who married the sister of a guy that took a tour of the Moog factory.
Old 1 week ago
  #70
Lives for gear
 
asynchro_nous's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Love the idea of effects in the Mother 32 format.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #71
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➡️
Love the idea of effects in the Mother 32 format.
Same, Eurorack compatible effects would be a big win. Have a 104M and 108M but CBA with the cv ins and outs and just the face or MIDI.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #72
Gear Addict
 
Jake's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis ➡️
All summer I had a matriarch sitting next to my Voyager. It’s a nice synth but it dashed my hopes of it being a replacement. Voyager II... now that sounds interesting
Asking out of curiosity since I do not own either, were the issues with the Matriarch based on its different functionality or differences in sound between the two. I wouldn't necessarily have thought the Matriarch could replace a Voyager, but I would think you could come close in sound -- maybe that's not the case. Appreciate any insights you have since the Matriarch is very tempting to me as an analog mono.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #73
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➡️
Nope they themselves claim around half of the components and boards are made in China
COMPONENTS, duh. America doesn't manufacture its own components so this is a meaningless comment.

"Half of the boards" is also based on... what? The cheaper moog guitar pedals were populated there, but when I last visited they had a local provider they utilized for boards.

Since you're an expert on their product lines, you can explain which models you're speaking of.

If you're just restating what you feel please save it for Reddit or wherever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle ➡️
Source: Grasspike's Mother-in-law had a cousin who had a brother who married the sister of a guy that took a tour of the Moog factory.
Seriously, this tribalism is pure internet. Fact-free calvin-peeing-on-ford-or-chevy sticker "rivals" in a game only one party is playing, and it's just exhausting in 2021. I really wish they didn't bother, but people have their identity based in utterly boring **** like this.

Funny enough, my knowledge is also ~2016 from my trip to the factory and while there's always the possibility of vast changes, they haven't scaled themselves uncontrollably and since becoming worker-owned I don't see such vast changes for the "worse" (in terms of control and supporting local industry, no slight to China but "cheaper" product lines are not their goal) being voted by all.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #74
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium ➡️
COMPONENTS, duh. America doesn't manufacture its own components so this is a meaningless comment.

"Half of the boards" is also based on... what? The cheaper moog guitar pedals were populated there, but when I last visited they had a local provider they utilized for boards.

Since you're an expert on their product lines, you can explain which models you're speaking of.

If you're just restating what you feel please save it for Reddit or wherever.


Seriously, this tribalism is pure internet. Fact-free calvin-peeing-on-ford-or-chevy sticker "rivals" in a game only one party is playing, and it's just exhausting in 2021. I really wish they didn't bother, but people have their identity based in utterly boring **** like this.

Funny enough, my knowledge is also ~2016 from my trip to the factory and while there's always the possibility of vast changes, they haven't scaled themselves uncontrollably and since becoming worker-owned I don't see such vast changes for the "worse" (in terms of control and supporting local industry, no slight to China but "cheaper" product lines are not their goal) being voted by all.
Wow thanks for resorting to tribalism and ad hominem attacks, however obviously your tribalism makes you defend Moog so I am not offended or insulted. In fact it is comical

Here is the reality. Moog is so beholden to China that they actively lobbied their customers to get political around US Trade Policy. It was so crippling for them they said it may cause them to go out of business or cease operations in the USA. This is not me getting political it's simply a fact. Here is the link.

https://us2.campaign-archive.com/?e=...&id=a2684e1453

So why would it surprise anyone that with their supply issues in China being so dire thanks to the trade policy that was in effect for all of 2020, that a global pandemic also originating in China would have an impact?

Again even though you tried to dismiss it, Moog is so beholden to China they resorted to tribalism to mobilize their customers/tribe to enter the political arena

That is simply an undisputed fact
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #75
Stop the bickering pls. It's not needed.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #76
Gear Addict
 
XXXEsq's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
What I think they will do:
A desktop scaled down (4 voice?) Moog One.
More software based VST synths.


What I wish they would do:
Update the One firmware (proper midi implementation, fix patch change/Efx problems and the vocoder)
900 Series Modules available individually (even special order... PLEASE!)
Replacement for the Foogers in Rackmount configuration
A new mono with the sonics of a Model D and the modulation options and programmability of the Voyager.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #77
eb7
Lives for gear
 
eb7's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer ➡️
Would be nice if the next thing were a mass-made Spectravox.
This is something I would like to see, but I have my doubts, considering that they just re-released their vocoder last year.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #78
Gear Maniac
 
Remote Vision's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXEsq ➡️
What I think they will do:
A desktop scaled down (4 voice?) Moog One.
I'd love to see a serious desktop synth from Moog.
Old 1 week ago
  #79
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Can or rather will Moog use the voicecards of the MoogOne to put them in another form factor?
If you can fit 4/5/6 of them in a 4/5U housing it can get pretty interesting.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #80
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy ➡️
I'm hoping they make good on their vocoder from Moogfest a few years ago. They eventually put out the DFAM and Subharmonicon, so I will hold out hope.
It's within the cost envelope for a eurorack offering. Although it may have stick pots instead of nice knobs for most of it's front panel. Needs an extra feature though... some ticky-tocky twist to make it do something interesting standalone.

I wish the Mother 32 had more than one oscillator.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #81
They should add a 3-octave Opus3 inspired stringer to the Mother line (with patchpoints!) and call it the SOB.
Old 1 week ago
  #82
Kja
Lives for gear
I wish thru would build a groovebox types thing or a collab with make noise.. neither will happen probably though.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #83
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➡️
Wow thanks for resorting to tribalism and ad hominem attacks, however obviously your tribalism makes you defend Moog so I am not offended or insulted. In fact it is comical

Here is the reality. Moog is so beholden to China that they actively lobbied their customers to get political around US Trade Policy. It was so crippling for them they said it may cause them to go out of business or cease operations in the USA. This is not me getting political it's simply a fact. Here is the link.

https://us2.campaign-archive.com/?e=...&id=a2684e1453

So why would it surprise anyone that with their supply issues in China being so dire thanks to the trade policy that was in effect for all of 2020, that a global pandemic also originating in China would have an impact?

Again even though you tried to dismiss it, Moog is so beholden to China they resorted to tribalism to mobilize their customers/tribe to enter the political arena

That is simply an undisputed fact
1) You don't like their politics, ok.
2) That's not a fact related to your claim, they buy components from China. Everyone buys components from China. They try to work with local manufacturers for whatever exists in the States and as hyperlocal as they can. Manufacturing worldwide relies on China for their supply chains. The solution is not to go after individual manufacturers who can't take advantage of an alternate path that doesn't exist.

Anyway, I read your post and you've stated your point and now back to waiting to see what they're up to...

Last edited by chaosium; 1 week ago at 07:45 AM..
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #84
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium ➡️
1)
2) That's not a fact related to your claim, they buy components from China. Everyone buys components from China. .
Yes everyone buys components from China, did everyone who buys components from China feel so threatened by US trade policy that they threatened to go out of business over them? Nope only Moog as only Moog is so beholden to China that they were forced to do that. Did Dave Smith send out an email like that? Pittsburgh Modular? Did any other US based synth manufacturer? Nope just Moog.

I don't care one way or the other about Moog's politics or US trade policy in general, and I am not trying to get political in anyway. Just stating a fact.

Moog's own marketing and corporate communications indicate they are so reliant on Chinese goods that any interruption and price increase they incur in getting goods from China could lead to bankruptcy and the cessation of operations in the USA

Why do you find it so hard to believe that similar market forces on goods sourced from China the epicenter of the Covid-19 Corona Virus would not also effect them in a negative way?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #85
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➡️
Wow thanks for resorting to tribalism and ad hominem attacks, however obviously your tribalism makes you defend Moog so I am not offended or insulted. In fact it is comical

Here is the reality. Moog is so beholden to China that they actively lobbied their customers to get political around US Trade Policy. It was so crippling for them they said it may cause them to go out of business or cease operations in the USA. This is not me getting political it's simply a fact. Here is the link.

https://us2.campaign-archive.com/?e=...&id=a2684e1453

So why would it surprise anyone that with their supply issues in China being so dire thanks to the trade policy that was in effect for all of 2020, that a global pandemic also originating in China would have an impact?

Again even though you tried to dismiss it, Moog is so beholden to China they resorted to tribalism to mobilize their customers/tribe to enter the political arena

That is simply an undisputed fact
Umm..what happened to the “no politics”
GS policy here? Moderators, are you reading
this thread?

I don’t give a rat’s ass about how Moog
sources their components. Personally,
the Moog One was the last good product
they made, in my opinion, and I hope
to get one.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #86
Gear Nut
 
Johnstaf's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I wonder if Moog's appetite for releasing slightly strange synths depends on the success of the Subharmonicon. A synth based on the Spectravox would be great, especially if it incorporated patchable voltage control for the filter bands.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #87
Lives for gear
 
Memorymoog reissue

Of course, with today's features and goodies

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #88
Lives for gear
 
SkyWriter's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium ➡️
1) You don't like their politics, ok.
2) That's not a fact related to your claim, they buy components from China. Everyone buys components from China. They try to work with local manufacturers for whatever exists in the States and as hyperlocal as they can. Manufacturing worldwide relies on China for their supply chains. The solution is not to go after individual manufacturers who can't take advantage of an alternate path that doesn't exist.
Agreed. Shifting supply chains is more than comparing component specs. Many companies put people in China to mind the supply chain to control quality, tolerances, processes, and just to watch production carefully.

Shifting a supply chain like this can be impossible when you're cash poor too. Many reasons hidden behind closed doors are possible as well.

A manufacturing company is a big, ugly, complicated thing. Insisting on simple explanations doesn't appear warranted here.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #89
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponkine ➡️
Memorymoog reissue

Of course, with today's features and goodies

The Moog One IS their Memorymoog reissue.
Not that it sounds exactly like the old
Memorymoog, but c’mon..it even looks like it.

The Memorymoog was poorly built, had no
midi, it wasn’t even a Bob Moog product. When
you played hard on it, the display would jitter.
Why would Moog bring that back. Obviously
they decided to “reissue” it with the One,
which is far more capable, well-built, has
Midi, and at $6500 for an 8-voice, is much
more of a value than an old Memorymoog
that can’t be had for less than $10k.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #90
I'd take the Moog One over the Memory Moog any day.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 89 views: 10069
Avatar for chessparov2.0
chessparov2.0 3 weeks ago
replies: 68 views: 5852
Avatar for synthRodriguez
synthRodriguez 22nd March 2019
replies: 6104 views: 402285
Avatar for Don Solaris
Don Solaris 24th October 2018
replies: 9579 views: 519202
Avatar for alemarti
alemarti 4 weeks ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump