The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog: What's next for 2021?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
All I expect is analog effects to replace the Mooger fooger line.

Maybe in eurorack format or in a multi effect form.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What I am guessing they will do:
1. Smaller monotimbral poly synth based on The One.
2. Digital or hybrid synth. This one may be a long shot because of tradition.

#2 because of the recent release of the Moog 15 app for Mac OS, and the attention they seemed to put into that development. #1 because that R&D money has been spent, and The One has been out for a good while now, so why not?

What I would LIKE from them:

1. Bring back the MoogerFoogers or some variant thereof. A standalone stereo Analog delay, even.
2. Individual MU compatible modules.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich ➡️
Huh? The Memorymoog was brought back,
in the form of the Moog One.

The One addressed all those problems and included
features the Memorymoog never had.

But forgot about the sound...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer ➡️
There was a Voyager XL in tolex on reverb a year-ish ago for an ok price and I wish I had gotten it. It looked surprisingly sharp.
Around the time the Voyager XL was discontinued, there was a glut of Voyager XLs on the market. You could get them new in the box for under $3000 - special editions too, like anniversary editions, different wood selections, or wrapped in Tolex.

It took a lot of self-discipline not to pick one up, for me. Playing a Voyager XL kind of broke me. Before that, I'd mostly buy used stuff that was more in the 'budget' range - an MS2000, a Kawai K3, Yamaha TQ5, a Boss DR110, softsynths, and so forth. When I put on headphones and dialed in a patch on the XL, the sound was an absolute revelation. Later that year I put in a pre-order for a DSI Tempest. If you added up what I spent on everything in my audio arsenal at that point, it was still less than I was dropping on the Tempest, which I still have, and is my desert island synth.

It took a lot of self-discipline not to pick one of those up when they were at what I knew would be the lowest prices they'd ever be available at - but I had picked up a Sub 37 already, and even though the XL is in many ways more flexible and versatile, the workflow on the Sub 37 was kinda perfect for me. I don't sell enough on Bandcamp to warrant that kind of investment. (I mean, by that measure I don't know that owning a Tempest and a Sub 37 and a Poly Evolver is warranted, but I'm obviously not doing this for the money) And now it looks like you won't find one for less than four grand.

I think Moog has been doing some exciting work over the last few years, and even though I'm not the target for the Moog One or the modular re-issues, I've had a good long stare at the Matriarch, and if they manage to combine the effortless UX of the Sub 37 with the audio engineering behind the Matriarch & Grandmother, I might be able to justify an upgrade.

And that's not even mentioning their iOS apps, which are also pretty great in their own light.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 ➡️
Moog analogue groovebox/sampler, Moog analogue synth and drum machine sound engine, with Moog filters, delay and spring reverb, 8 monophonic tracks and paraphonic chords, 16 small pads, chromatic mode and paraphonic chord mode, lock per step function, 64 steps per pattern and song mode, full sampler editing capabilities, audio inputs and extra software editor for importing samples via usb.

Street price $ 1500!
I'd buy this in a heartbeat, even with a higher pricetag.
Lives for gear
Quote:
I’d like to see Moog port its Minimoog D
virtual instrument from iOS to desktop
AU, VST, and AAX.
I think Big Sur makes this port easy on the Mac, so they might well do it.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
AU, VST, and AAX.
We've got:

https://www.arturia.com/products/ana...ini-v/overview
https://u-he.com/products/diva/
https://www.native-instruments.com/e...synths/monark/
https://www.synapse-audio.com/thelegend.html
https://www.softube.com/model-72-synthesizer-system
https://www.uaudio.com/luna/instrume...-minimoog.html

Why would we need another one?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not to forget the GForce Minimonsta.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmedia ➡️
I think Big Sur makes this port easy on the Mac, so they might well do it.
Apparently not quite the case, although it WAS the case for the Model 15, which is why they did the one but not the other. This from Moog engineer Geert on another message board, who did the port.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Let's get a Matriarch module in a more stand-up format like a 2600
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I personally don't think so, even whilst wishing that were so. The One is so completely different than the MM. The One is the new Moog analog poly but in no way is it a MM, whether it's a comparison of its architecture, synth engines, OS, mod matrix, physical housing... they're ALL different. Then there's the sound... COMPLETELY different.

The One is spectacular in so many respects, but, a MemoryMoog it is not.

And, should a MM actually be re-issued (and obviously addressing all previous issues with modern expertise) it would be so different that many folks would want BOTH. I'd be happy with a MM because I'd love that massive gritty and raw sound that has, arguably, never been bettered in some respects. Sometimes (many times actually) I LOVE those massive one or two raw synth tracks from the same synth that fill up the frequency spectrum and make a song. That was the MM. Big and baddass a 6-voice analog poly as was ever conceived, imho*.

I find it revealing that no soft synth (or h/w) company has ever even attempted to mimic or clone it. Perhaps that will change in the coming years, but, for now, the MM stands alone (as far as its idealized vision of a poly synth and in a perfect functioning state).

The great Jon Lord of Deep Purple fame showed us all what's what.

* The new PolyBrute is having a go at this title and sounds like a MM-inspired synth as far as the 6-voices being able to sound incredibly raw and massive. But, it's still VERY different than a MM. And, The River can get big and massive with its 8 Moog Source voices, but it's also very different than a MM.
Attached Thumbnails
Moog: What's next for 2021?-jon-lords-memorymoog.jpg   Moog: What's next for 2021?-moog-memorymoog_01.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➡️
Moog didn't make any announcement at NAMM and this year's Musikmesse is re-scheduled for October. What could be their next synth and when do you believe that they will release it?

I feel that something is missing from their product line. Something like a premium mono with vintage character and patch memory... a new "Voyager" maybe.

Someone could say that they want to re-introduce their modular roots to the masses with their "Mother" line of products, but, the Matriarch is a radically different approach compared to that of a Voyager. Its sound is not refined, big and creamy like Voyager's and it's obviously oriented towards the modular crowd and those who really wanted a big sounding polyphonic Moog but they can live with the compromise of thinner paraphonic chords instead of that. The web is full of ambient and modular "bleep-blop" Matriarch demos, full of delay effects. Is this what they want to do now with their old school sounding line of products?

Where is the functionality of a synth with a patch memory and the hifi, big and creamy tone of Little Phatty / Voyager? Do you believe that we'll see something like that, or maybe something else like a true polyphonic Moog with basic features?
Moog Music like most small companies that very heavily rely on 3rd party manufacturing in China has been hit VERY hard with supply chain, logistics and manufacturing issues with the onset of Corona Virus.

Besides all that, travel from the USA to China has been very difficult for the past 11 months making it difficult if not impossible for people to travel from Ashville to China to oversee production of things like PCBs and the application of SMT parts on said PCBs

Other companies that already have a large permanent presence in China or who like Korg manufacture in places like Vietnam have not been hit nearly as hard
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I'd love a Polymoog. It's one of my favourite polys -although it's more like a string machine in many respects.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory ➡️

* The new PolyBrute is having a go at this title and sounds like a MM-inspired synth as far as the 6-voices being able to sound incredibly raw and massive. But, it's still VERY different than a MM. And, The River can get big and massive with its 8 Moog Source voices, but it's also very different than a MM.
I feel like the PolyBrute (which I am also planning on adding) would be a great compliment to either The One or The River.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➡️
Besides all that, travel from the USA to China has been very difficult for the past 11 months making it difficult if not impossible for people to travel from Ashville to China to oversee production of things like PCBs and the application of SMT parts on said PCBs

Other companies that already have a large permanent presence in China or who like Korg manufacture in places like Vietnam have not been hit nearly as hard
I would strongly doubt about Moog sending people to China in order to oversee production. It seems crazy, for such a small company with so low dependence on foreign production..

I agree though that Corona Virus has slowed down most companies.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted c9f9120 ➡️
I can always count on Grasspikes posts making me laugh! You have such a great imagination! You’re music is probably incredible!
What did I say that is not true?

Do facts about a global pandemic that has killed millions, hampered international travel, and had a crushing effect on global economies always make you laugh?

Edit: maybe you didn't know that China is the epicenter for the Covid-19 virus, also maybe you didn't know that Moog is so beholden to making things in China that they were the only company in the Synth Community to actively lobby their customers to get political around US and China trade relations
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➡️
I would strongly doubt about Moog sending people to China in order to oversee production. It seems crazy, for such a small company with so low dependence on foreign production..

I agree though that Corona Virus has slowed down most companies.
Except for that fact that every current Moog product has PCBs made in China
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The sub 25/37 have been out for some time in one form or another. I wouldn’t be totally surprised to see something somewhat derivative of the Moog one to arrive around the sub 37 price point or higher (depending on voice(s) and fx included)

Or maybe just a Moog One with a different paint job/wood and a $500 premium. In fact that’s probably the most likely scenario.
Quote:

The Memorymoog suffered from many problems..
build quality, no midi, and a buggy operating
system. Bob Moog was gone from the
company when it was released. The One
addressed all those problems and included
features the Memorymoog never had.

AU, VST, and AAX.
Moog has already ported the Model 15 to MacOS, and it works on Intel and M1 processors. Model D will surely follow suit. And it’s universal so if you own it on iOS you get the Mac version for free.

Sometimes I think Moog is falling behind others like Sequential in terms of hardware, but their software game is top notch, with their synth plugins and dedicated softsynths.

Though I might as well complain that the Model 15 interface is terrible on Mac... it’s way too big with no way to resize it. But it sounds great!
Lives for gear

My dream: Moog One "controller mode"

I would pay GOOD money for an update and comprehensive software package for the Moog One that let me set up/ load templates to control all of my hardware and software synths directly from the M0.

Greg
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My personal preference/hope is for a new line of effects from Moog. That said, I'm intrigued by the direction they've gone with the M32/DFAM/Subharmonicon and would love to see more in that vein.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthesignal ➡️
My personal preference/hope is for a new line of effects from Moog. That said, I'm intrigued by the direction they've gone with the M32/DFAM/Subharmonicon and would love to see more in that vein.
I want them to make the Mother FXer in this format. Delay, spring reverb, and Other analog mod FX!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy ➡️
Musicmesse is not a synth thing anymore and NAMM increasingly less and less. It’s all about Superbooth and has been for a while already.
That seems like something good, healthier for the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone ➡️
I've always wanted a glow in the dark synth with blacklight reflective color coded knobs, but buttons that lit from below, or with an embedded LED (so I could see whether they're on when the blacklight is on, too).

Not sure, maybe Moog isn't the right company for this, either. Actually, looking around, my Mono Station might be getting painted soon.

But if Moog made a synth that looked like the space shuttle by day, but glowed in the dark, and no tacky fluorescent knobs, it would be better than that gold one they made.
Not necessarily offering (I really need to do some tests and I'm not a great caster yet), but while you're imagining, what sort of knobs would you want in UV-reactive or glow pigment? What colors did you have in mind?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have the moog one, and I would consider buying a re-issue of the memorymoog.

I would like re-issue of the moogerfogger pedals. I think the market is large for custom/boutique analog effects.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by styphon ➡️
I have the moog one, and I would consider buying a re-issue of the memorymoog.

I would like re-issue of the moogerfogger pedals. I think the market is large for custom/boutique analog effects.
The biggest turn off of the Moogerfoogers to me was the format...not very pedal board friendly. Large and unusual power. And well, if you’re a keyboard person you probably would prefer Eurorack or maybe even already have something similar in euro.

I have all of the Minifoogers though...super cool, not cheap but completely reasonable price, I don’t think anyone cared until they were discontinued.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Looks like lots of love for the Voyager , I remember 'playing ' one in a shop years ago when they were relatively new and it just oozed class. I bought a little phatty to get the Moog sound but never really jelled with it, didn't seem to have the same heft or magic the Voyager had.

If thry brought back the moogerfoogers in smaller format , stereo at decent price they would sell tons!!

Why not a small 4 voice poly like the beringher poly d, at a decent price point keep a lot of people happy?
Moog still hasn't replied to my email, but I would hope that they begin to offer the Moog One in the custom wood of the customer's choice.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➡️
The biggest turn off of the Moogerfoogers to me was the format...not very pedal board friendly. Large and unusual power. And well, if you’re a keyboard person you probably would prefer Eurorack or maybe even already have something similar in euro.

I have all of the Minifoogers though...super cool, not cheap but completely reasonable price, I don’t think anyone cared until they were discontinued.
I kind of loved that about the Moogerfoogers, I used to have a handful on a pedalboard for guitar, and it was a bit cumbersome but looked and sounded amazing.

I now have 3 Moogerfoogers for my synth setup and the space is just fine.

The Minifooogers were amazing value products, I'm surprised these were discontinued.

I think the main pedal guy has gone on to build his own pedals now.

My wish for 2021 from Moog is a modern desktop Minimoog, something like the form factor of the OB6 and P6 desktops, with modern appointments like presets and sequencer.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

4 voice moog one for a broader market?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

Someone did a mockup of a Matriarch in this form factor
I'd totally go for that.
📝 Reply