The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland VERSELAB MV-1 - new MV -
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Anju ➡️
Haha thats cool! did you modeled everything yourself ?
But come on i expected a better modeling on your avatar
it's just boxes.. there's no real modelling going on here.. just making sure everything is right size so it fits in the room!

the 'avatar' .. the man thing sat in the chair is just a
biped' preset for scale.

Last edited by cresshead; 1 week ago at 01:12 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
that was cool, i spent years drawing out stuff like that by hand.

nice to see the Korg DDD-1, i had one with the sampling board and a few ROM cards. i've owned a number of vintage drum machines, but that one sticks out as having probably the most distinct/unique sound (along with the smaller Korg 'Super Drums/Percussion' machines). i still "feel" what it was like to sit with and use that machine, if that makes any sense. hitting those clacky pads, hearing what's coming out of it. pretty advanced machine for the time.

weird how memory works, i don't have as strong a "feeling" with the Roland R-8 (for example) which i spent far more time with back then.
the DDD1 drumpads are 'clacky' but they are also rather amazing feeling too... the worst sound on the DDD1 is the handclap which sounds like a burst sausage underfoot!

I need to sample that drum machine into my MPC as i do like some of it's sounds quite a bit even though i think it's 8 bit.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Can’t wait for the Zenbeats 2.1 integration soon enough! All is forgiven for the small screen when that goes live. Roland does have a history of small screens with external monitors going way back to their S50 sampler. Now, if only they include an UNDO feature to this amazing box. I’m really spending more time with it than my Polyend Tracker.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah, with Zenbeats, the MV will be a total hoot. And since you could also do patch editing and mixing on a big screen, (according to the video) MV will be the one Zen-Core to get for sure.

I have a question for the MV users which I already asked, but i don't think I've got the answer.

It is about the audio track. When you create an audio take, you can then place it anywhere on the timeline so to speak, right?
Can you place it multiple times on the timeline (I assume yes) and will that be just a reference to the original recording? Meaning, no more of the 6min stereo memory will be eaten when you use the audio take on the audio track multiple times. (I don't understand the workflow to well, because I don't have one, but if the audio takes are used by reference, then 6 min stereo may be quite workable)

Last edited by Oscar1; 1 week ago at 03:33 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 ➡️
Yeah, with Zenbeats, the MV will be a total hoot. And since you could also do patch editing and mixing on a big screen, (according to the video) MV will be the one Zen-Core to get for sure.

I have a question for the MV users which I already asked, but i don't think I've got the answer.

It is about the audio track. When you create an audio take, you can then place it anywhere on the timeline so to speak, right?
Can you place it multiple times on the timeline (I assume yes) and will that be just a reference to the original recording? Meaning, no more of the 6min stereo memory will be eaten when you use the audio take on the audio track multiple times. (I don't understand the workflow to well, because I don't have one, but if the audio takes are used by reference, then 6 min stereo may be quite workable)
yes each take is a sample.. you can place it on the time line many times.. it's just paying back that sample at reference points like say each chorus.

they don't have to be stereo either to sound 'stereo' remember you can apply chorus or doub;e tracking or ping ping delays to create a stereo field fomr a mono samples as well as autopan or other fx.

so 12 mins max mono.. also you can mix n match takes some mono some stereo comps form pervious takes bounced together into a new stereo take.. then delete the old takes... you can also 'print' fx onto a take then bounce it and add a different fx live on top.

also you're not limited to 16 vocal samples.. just 16 vocal takes on the vocal track.... you can load other vocal samples to a drum kit onto a pad.
Lives for gear

sampling....

Sample pool is 720 seconds (mono) MAX.
you could have in theory say ..
5 drum kits x 16 unique user samples per kit
16 vocal takes on the vocal track

that's 96 samples into 720 seconds = 7.5 seconds per sample average.

Q. does verselab have random patch gen yet?

Last edited by cresshead; 1 week ago at 05:07 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️
yes each take is a sample.. you can place it on the time line many times.. it's just paying back that sample at reference points like say each chorus.

they don't have to be stereo either to sound 'stereo' remember you can apply chorus or doub;e tracking or ping ping delays to create a stereo field fomr a mono samples as well as autopan or other fx.

so 12 mins max mono.. also you can mix n match takes some mono some stereo comps form pervious takes bounced together into a new stereo take.. then delete the old takes... you can also 'print' fx onto a take then bounce it and add a different fx live on top.

also you're not limited to 16 vocal samples.. just 16 vocal takes on the vocal track.... you can load other vocal samples to a drum kit onto a pad.
This is correct. Man, you really have been studying the manual. LOL.

You can set a Vocal Take to play at various places in the song and manually set them by pressing a pad like a sample. Of course you can edit the play start and end points by bar/measure/beat in the 'take seq edit'.

You can also do the copy shortcut (press a vocal take pad then a blank pad while holding the copy button) to duplicate a take, then place the new take to anywhere in the timeline multiple times. This way you have a backup or reference of the take that doesn't use any additional recording time.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
sampling....

Q. does verselab have random patch gen yet?
The random patch generator isn't in the Verselab yet.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
sampling....

if using longer samples and that doesn't sound like enough time... i found that on the TR-8S and MC-707/101 you can (mostly) get away with doubling your sample time by resampling at twice the speed then playing it back at -12 (or whatever, you don't need to pitch it up +12 but that'll cut the length/size exactly in half). you lose a little top end, but can bring that back some with EQ, etc.
Lives for gear

Quote:
if using longer samples and that doesn't sound like enough time... i found that on the TR-8S and MC-707/101 you can (mostly) get away with doubling your sample time by resampling at twice the speed then playing it back at -12 (or whatever, you don't need to pitch it up +12 but that'll cut the length/size exactly in half). you lose a little top end, but can bring that back some with EQ, etc.
yes every sampling trick created over the years since 8 bit samplers came out in the EMU/fairlight days onward can also be used to get more time out of the available sample pool of ''12 mins.''
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
yes every sampling trick created over the years since 8 bit samplers came out in the EMU/fairlight days onward can also be used to get more time out of the available sample pool of ''12 mins.''
cripes. just keep listing the obvious then.

Lives for gear

Quote:
cripes. just keep listing the obvious then.

of course for some people browsing this thread the prospect of adding sampler will be their first dive into sampling.. so yeh it's 'obvious' to those that are old gits who lived thru all these tricks like me.. but for the young whipper snappers it's all shiny and new stuff to learn...

one size of info does not fit all remember... sorry being obvious on that too!
sharing is caring remember! ... unless it's a virus!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Short workflow question; when you copy a vokal take from one section to another from the same pad, for instance from chorus 1 to chorus 2, how can you remove the take from only chorus 1 or chorus 2 if you need to? I have only been able to clear the entire pad.

I guess the same question apply if you record several takes on the same pad through a song. How do you then clear the different takes?

Last edited by paalsound; 1 week ago at 07:03 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Thanks, I kind of assumed that would be the case, just want to be sure.
6 min stereo or 12 min mono this way is not that limiting. And you are right, in most cases (vocal or whatever) mono is the perfect choice anyway.
It looks pretty good, I must say. Better every day. And after they release the zenbeats 2.1... this thing combined with ipad will totally overshadow my MC707 and for less money. Roland may have a winner on their hands. At least for me, I am still struggling with the clunky clip chaining on MC and it's performance oriented approach.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paalsound ➡️
Short workflow question; when you copy a vokal take from one section to another from the same pad, for instance from chorus 1 to chorus 2, how can you remove the take from only chorus 1 or chorus 2 if you need to? I have only been able to clear the entire pad.

I guess the same question apply if you record several takes on the same pad through a song. How do you then clear the different takes?
Easy peasy, edit the Take (EDIT + pad), then go into 'TAKE SEQ EDIT'. Each time you played that Vocal Take on the timeline will have a separate number with the start and end time in bar/measure/beats. Just press clear to delete that chorus or whatever.

You can only have one Take per pad, so if you bounced and combined multiple Takes to another pad, that's now a new Take. You can change the start/end time and play position with EDIT.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout ➡️
Easy peasy, edit the Take (EDIT + pad), then go into 'TAKE SEQ EDIT'. Each time you played that Vocal Take on the timeline will have a separate number with the start and end time in bar/measure/beats. Just press clear to delete that chorus or whatever.

You can only have one Take per pad, so if you bounced and combined multiple Takes to another pad, that's now a new Take. You can change the start/end time and play position with EDIT.
Yes, that’s it! Another one bites the dust!thanks 😀
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

I imagine that searching for a specific sound in the list of 3000 sounds must be a nightmare with just one knob, right? that knob must suffer a lot with the use of so much moving to perform searches.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by viktor42 ➡️
I imagine that searching for a specific sound in the list of 3000 sounds must be a nightmare with just one knob, right? that knob must suffer a lot with the use of so much moving to perform searches.
You have categories, or alphabetical search , shift and knob turn jumps 10
And the knob itself is designed for it , still works fine on my mc101 after 18 months
Lives for gear

Quote:
Encoders in general

Roland fa06
the only knob issues i've encountered over the years of owning roland kit is the encoders on the roland Fa06... seems to be a design flaw in that over the years you get status errors which constantly pop up the value onto the main screen of the fa06 if you've moved them recently... quite annoying.. if you dn't use them (...yeh.. i know) you should be fine

it's not related to over use or dust though i i'ver not really used them much and cover the synth when not in use and i'm not the only one reporting this issue.

korg electribe MX sd main encoder
seems to 'skip' now that ive owned it for about 10 years

Blofeld encoders
i've heard they also tend to skip with a lot of use.. though mine is okay and i've had it for over a decade now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 611 phone repair ➡️
You have categories, or alphabetical search , shift and knob turn jumps 10
And the knob itself is designed for it , still works fine on my mc101 after 18 months
Agreed. It's super easy to find whatever you're looking for, in my experience. Even within each category, the patches are often grouped by style. In 'syn.bass' for instance on the Verselab all the 808-sub basses are grouped first, then the aggressive cross-mod basses, then the vintage stuff like juno and moog style, and then more genre specific stuff.
Here for the gear

I 'd like to know if you Can save a kit with 16 one shoot percussion samples (16 wav files), each one in each pad and save the kit ? Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Encoders in general

Roland fa06
the only knob issues i've encountered over the years of owning roland kit is the encoders on the roland Fa06... seems to be a design flaw in that over the years you get status errors which constantly pop up the value onto the main screen of the fa06 if you've moved them recently... quite annoying.. if you dn't use them (...yeh.. i know) you should be fine

it's not related to over use or dust though i i'ver not really used them much and cover the synth when not in use and i'm not the only one reporting this issue.

korg electribe MX sd main encoder
seems to 'skip' now that ive owned it for about 10 years

Blofeld encoders
i've heard they also tend to skip with a lot of use.. though mine is okay and i've had it for over a decade now.
Yamaha are known for bad encoders on their A-series of samplers and the SU700.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I 'd like to know if you Can save a kit with 16 one shoot percussion samples (16 wav files), each one in each pad and save the kit ? Thanks
Kind of, you can build a kit , it’s saved into a clip which you can load in other projects
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by othernet ➡️
Can’t wait for the Zenbeats 2.1 integration soon enough! All is forgiven for the small screen when that goes live. Roland does have a history of small screens with external monitors going way back to their S50 sampler. Now, if only they include an UNDO feature to this amazing box. I’m really spending more time with it than my Polyend Tracker.
Anyone knows the releasedate?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeamus ➡️
Anyone knows the releasedate?
I heard somewhere end of February, but that may not be accurate.
Gear Head

Quote:
I heard somewhere end of February, but that may not be accurate.
Ok. Thanks! Let’s hope so. Not so many days left.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeamus ➡️
Ok. Thanks! Let’s hope so. Not so many days left.
They already made the video even if not officially released and obviously, the zenbeats on that leaked video already works with MV-1 so it can't be too far away. But I have no secret info, just remember hearing that end of February as the release date.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
They already made the video even if not officially released and obviously, the zenbeats on that leaked video already works with MV-1 so it can't be too far away. But I have no secret info, just remember hearing that end of February as the release date.
Video wasn’t leaked. It was an official rep showing a preview.
📝 Reply