Originally Posted by pc0999 View Post
Seems really limited...
I think the word is...focused. LOL.
Old 11th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Cant see this competing with akais any more than the 101/707, way too restricted in comparison. Roland are really get their moneys worth out of this zencore engine...
That's hardly anything new , the jv/xv engine was also the foundation for a lot of products .
With the only exception that the xv engine had a real groovebox/sequencer flagship-->mc909/mv8000
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout View Post
I have the Verselab sitting here in front of me. Feel free to ask away.
how would you go about having main vocals and backing vocals?
... ahh i see you addressed this above a bit... can you resample an audio take to layer effects on it?
Old 11th January 2021
Deleted 4d99779
Already have the MC-101 and TR-6S combo here in my humble studio, so don't have any use for this box.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yep. The Vocal track has 16 takes (one for each drum pad), so it's basically like 16 audio tracks since they can play at any part of your song. The total recording time is 12 minutes mono per project. There's also 2 tracks that can be set as Looper tracks and record only 60 seconds, but Looper tracks have timestretch and pitchshift.

You can edit the playback of a Vocal take by bar/measure, move the start/end time like a sample, and set the take's volume level. Also on the Vocal track you can send a Take through 1 of 6 compressors, a multi-effects processor, or the Vocal processor. There's a fair amount of guitar FX in there too, speaker/cab simulation, recreations of classic Boss FX, etc.
Beyond the Vocal track, the unit it has only 3 melodic tracks, am I right? 1 bass and 2 synth tracks?
Lives for gear

Quote:
The kick snare hihat tracks are just a naming convention for the initial patch and new users.

There's one drum KIT track, 6 TONE tracks. and the dedicated VOCAL track that's a dedicated audio track that plays alongside the song. The INST 1 and 2 tracks can also be looper tracks.

THAT is great news i was wondering why / if they chose the constrict the use of tracks....

so just a template that can be freely changed... good news!
Lives for gear

Q. on the vocal effects are they just basic uneditable presets or can you dive in and change them?

thinking of the autotune for scales and harmonies etc.
as well as delay times, syncing and reverb times.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
THAT is great news i was wondering why / if they chose the constrict the use of tracks....

Its front panel confuses us a lot…
Old 11th January 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
IMHO the selling point is the amount of stuff packed in a very convenient package, and it is not as expensive as the competition.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No...the KICK, SNARE, AND HI-HAT tracks are also TONE tracks. You can load synth patches into them also. It's 6 TONE (2 of which can also be a LOOPER track), 1 drum KIT, and 1 VOCAL track (that's basically 16 audio tracks).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Q. on the vocal effects are they just basic uneditable presets or can you dive in and change them?

thinking of the autotune for scales and harmonies etc.
as well as delay times, syncing and reverb times.
There are some preset Vocal patches, but all the FX including the Vocal processor are completely programmable. There's 8 parameters for AUTO PITCH for example.
Gear Nut

Quote:
No...the KICK, SNARE, AND HI-HAT tracks are also TONE tracks. You can load synth patches into them also. It's 6 TONE (2 of which can also be a LOOPER track), 1 drum KIT, and 1 VOCAL track (that's basically 16 audio tracks).
That seems better.

But using all of that with that tiny screen should not be a good experience...
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
That's hardly anything new , the jv/xv engine was also the foundation for a lot of products .
With the only exception that the xv engine had a real groovebox/sequencer flagship-->mc909/mv8000
Yup true.
Gear Guru

Quote:
I think the word is...focused. LOL.
is it the full zencore engine or the limited 101 version?
Old 11th January 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
With the exception of the Vocal effects (the main draw together with the sound palette?), would you even consider this to be a synthesizer? What does it synthesize?
Old 11th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
lol... basically Trap-in-a-Box. Roland going fisher-price with its products all the way down to model numbering (8000 > 1). Nice try at reviving the MV series Roland! SMH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
Its front panel confuses us a lot…
I believe the thinking was to make it easier for a new producer, where they wouldn't have to think about assigning tracks, track types, etc.

You can copy a drum sound from the KIT over to the SNARE track for instance and sequence the pitches or apply the 'style' modes, which are basically different substep/ratchet rhythms.
Old 11th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So glad the dawless thing is getting another run. I predicted this years ago, namely NI and Roland. I like the idea of something that’s focused, but I can’t see this as being as versatile as an MPC, and some of us kinda want the versatility. But it doesn’t hurt to have it here, especially at that price point. Now we need Korg to do a new, fully featured electribe with a monotribe built in to it (will never happen) and Novation to do a grownup Circuit.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
how would you go about having main vocals and backing vocals?
... ahh i see you addressed this above a bit... can you resample an audio take to layer effects on it?
quickly scanned the only manual, sample-input settings don't seem to support INTERNAL, currently external line inputs, internal/external MIC, or USB.

A pity, resampling would be really obvious here...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
lol... basically Trap-in-a-Box. Roland going fisher-price with its products all the way down to model numbering (8000 > 1). Nice try at reviving the MV series Roland! SMH
Nah. It's a studio-in-a-box. I'm doing an EP with the Verselab right now. Straight up grown man boom bap ****. Chopping samples and playing over them. Probably going to start recording vocals tomorrow.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A straightforward, little frills, make a song device. MW for the modern age. Contrasts nicely with the more in depth MPCs/Maschine.

This makes perfect sense, I should have seen it coming. Didn't occur to me they could use Zenbeats for the DAW integration aspect.

I really have no questions, I think they've hit a sweet spot here. Perfect use of their tech and platforms.

I guess built-in batteries would have been nice, but USB power is an OK alternative.

I don't like the white case thought, please don't be the new AIRA look.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percivale View Post
With the exception of the Vocal effects (the main draw together with the sound palette?), would you even consider this to be a synthesizer? What does it synthesize?
It's the Zen-Core engine, so it's more like a modern Rompler. Super-wide range of sounds organized by category. Find a good patch, tweak the envelope, filter, FX, or LFO a little, sequence your riff and move on the next part of your song.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
quickly scanned the only manual, sample-input settings don't seem to support INTERNAL, currently external line inputs, internal/external MIC, or USB.

A pity, resampling would be really obvious here...
It's one of my feature-requests because it's already possible by jumping through hoops. You have the LOOPER track type that can record internal or external sources up to 60 seconds, and the Verselab can also export the song as a WAV. You mixdown the Looper track then move the WAV from the mixdown folder on the SD Card to the samples folder and import it back in. 4 steps that could be 1, but it works.
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's the Zen-Core engine, so it's more like a modern Rompler. Super-wide range of sounds organized by category. Find a good patch, tweak the envelope, filter, FX, or LFO a little, sequence your riff and move on the next part of your song.
so the same editing as the 101?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yep
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yep
thx
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I misspoke a little bit. ALL 7 track can be TONE or DRUM KIT track types.
Lives for gear

Quote:
YES .. just browsing thru the parameter guide it looks very similar to the mc101 you get to play with adsr and filter and such but you can't dive int oscillators
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks man.
Old 11th January 2021
Lives for gear

Hideous looking.
📝 Reply