The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland VERSELAB MV-1 - new MV -
Old 11th January 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol ➡️
a basically preset machine?
We don’t know details yet, I guess it has similar editing capabilities as the MC 101, I have the MC 101 and you can’t go very deep with it, but you can adjust a lot of crucial parameters of each preset - sound and to save them into your projects. So, it is not a preset machine when you can change its preset sounds and save them via the SD card, as parts of your projects.
Old 11th January 2021
Lives for gear

just my 2 cents for those who are into astrology.
product announce was made during the void moon.
that’s it.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️
the front panel text and also the specification page on rolands site.

The design seems to be to make is very simple to use with minimal menu diving.

I love its workflow, seriously!!!!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
the front panel text and also the specification page on rolands site.

The design seems to be to make is very simple to use with minimal menu diving.
The manual is up on Roland's website. "Minimal menu diving" isn't a phrase one would associate with this device. Though to be fair, it's going to be pretty standard for Roland. Much of it has to do with that ABOMINATION of an lcd they are using. 16x2 limits you to only one field of information at a time, to go along with the menu header. That makes for more "diving". A $700 device, in 2021, with a $1 display. There's really no excuse.

Quote:
here we go!

I wish Ave well in his endeavors. But I would encourage him to stop calling out other Youtubers the way he does. Especially when he has to pull punches in this latest "review". Just like everyone else.
Old 11th January 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Roland Wokestation™
Old 11th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the Verselab sitting here in front of me. Feel free to ask away.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 ➡️
Cool a new MV 8800... hey wait, this thing doesn't really do anything like the MV8800 ...

Roland, we need to talk about branding...

Any new groove box is welcome though.
I wish Roland would do a next generation of the MV8800...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The kick snare hihat tracks are just a naming convention for the initial patch and new users.

There's one drum KIT track, 6 TONE tracks. and the dedicated VOCAL track that's a dedicated audio track that plays alongside the song. The INST 1 and 2 tracks can also be looper tracks.
Old 11th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Does the verselab output the audio file as a stereo file or multitracks to bring into a DAW?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs ➡️
The manual is up on Roland's website. "Minimal menu diving" isn't a phrase one would associate with this device. Though to be fair, it's going to be pretty standard for Roland. Much of it has to do with that ABOMINATION of an lcd they are using. 16x2 limits you to only one field of information at a time, to go along with the menu header. That makes for more "diving". A $700 device, in 2021, with a $1 display. There's really no excuse.
But the point here isn't grooveboxes to be like standalone DAWs with big screens and with some colored pads attached to them. I think Roland is in the right direction.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony ➡️
Does the verselab output the audio file as a stereo file or multitracks to bring into a DAW?
It sends all track individually over usb , 20 in all
Master, 8 stereo and the external in.
Old 11th January 2021
Lives for gear
The front panel confuses me a little bit. So, the Verselab it has 1 voice track, 1 bass track, 2 synth (melodic) tracks, 1 kit track (16 drums/samples), 1 kick, 1 snare and 1 hi hat track = 8 in total, am I right?
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout ➡️
Does the integration with zenbeats app effectively mean an iPad can negate the need to use the dinky inbuilt display?
Old 11th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Interesting that this got the MV designation when it really doesn't seem at all like an "MV"-type product. Seems more like just another Roland "MC"-style groovebox with an MPC-style pad layout.. ?

Not for me. The MV-8800 is still the best hardware MIDI sequencer ever made and is still where I do all my sequencing (although the Fantom might replace it soon). The MV-1 doesn't really seem interested in continuing that legacy.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 ➡️
But the point here isn't grooveboxes to be like standalone DAWs with big screens and with some colored pads attached to them. I think Roland is in the right direction.
To clarify, no one said anything about "big screens". The LCD technology used on this product, as well as your MC101 is archaic. Roland could use a SMALLER Oled display, which would offer a better experience for the user in a number of ways.

It could display more information
It could display information using a wider array of characters/symbols
It could display information using improved viewing angles
it would consume less power

If you would like to tire yourself out attempting to justify a 16x2 LCD display as some sort of "feature", feel free.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 ➡️
We don’t know details yet, I guess it has similar editing capabilities as the MC 101, I have the MC 101 and you can’t go very deep with it, but you can adjust a lot of crucial parameters of each preset - sound and to save them into your projects. So, it is not a preset machine when you can change its preset sounds and save them via the SD card, as parts of your projects.
Looking into the videos in a little more detail, i'm beginning to understand better what this device is aiming for.

TBH, i think it's a big competitor for the NI M+. The workflow reminds me a lot of the Maschine groups, it has a competing sound-engine with Zen (which seems to be somewhat better aimed at more conventional genres compared to the NI engines), and especially when it comes to grid/step-recording, and most importantly, recording audio takes "over the top" (which is what NI tried to solve with Clips, but didn't really achieve in a good way yet), this one seems to be the better "streamlined workflow" box, and for half the price (when you don't need all the fancy stuff M+ provides).

NI should be scared, or quickly improve their step and audio recording features...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KriticalMass ➡️
Does the integration with zenbeats app effectively mean an iPad can negate the need to use the dinky inbuilt display?
The Zenbeats integration is forthcoming so I haven't seen the details yet.

Honestly, in practice the LCD size is not an issue...AT ALL.

In my experience, if you have dedicated buttons for functions and little menu diving, you don't need a large screen. You just need to see parameter amounts and maybe what mode you're in. At no point in using the Verselab did I say to myself, "I wish this screen was bigger." and I'm an old man.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
To clarify, no one said anything about "big screens". The LCD technology used on this product, as well as your MC101 is archaic. Roland could use a SMALLER Oled display, which would offer a better experience for the user in a number of ways.

If you would like to tire yourself out attempting to justify a 16x2 LCD display as some sort of "feature", feel free.
You might have a point there.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
so how can i add more than 1 audio track, f.e. record a live bass-guitar, guitar parts, vocals, and backing vocals, and layer these? Is that possible?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Ehmm because the mc707 is crippled in the areas of song mode and recording audio parts, they made another $700 box? Unimpressed. “Collect em all” Pokémon style doesn’t work in this price segment I’m afraid.
Yeah this market segmentation stuff suxks for me
Old 11th January 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It seems you can import all the Zenpacks from Roland Cloud? The audio over USB is the usual Roland thing where it wants to be the Audio Interface?
Old 11th January 2021
Cant see this competing with akais any more than the 101/707, way too restricted in comparison. Roland are really get their moneys worth out of this zencore engine...problem has been for me is that the 101/707 arent enjoyable to work with, but I like the sounds...if this has the right workflow and a full zencore engine itll be a winner, if its just presets like the 101 with limited editing then its a big no from me.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Looking into the videos in a little more detail, i'm beginning to understand better what this device is aiming for.

TBH, i think it's a big competitor for the NI M+. The workflow reminds me a lot of the Maschine groups, it has a competing sound-engine with Zen (which seems to be somewhat better aimed at more conventional genres compared to the NI engines), and especially when it comes to grid/step-recording, and most importantly, recording audio takes "over the top" (which is what NI tried to solve with Clips, but didn't really achieve in a good way yet), this one seems to be the better "streamlined workflow" box, and for half the price (when you don't need all the fancy stuff M+ provides).

NI should be scared, or quickly improve their step and audio recording features...
I agree, its workflow looks similar to the NI Maschine Plus, and at this price I’m just wondering who is going to overlook this option. This is a complete electronic music production system for about $ 699…

and the Maschine Plus cost double the price...
Gear Addict
Quote:
The Zenbeats integration is forthcoming so I haven't seen the details yet.

Honestly, in practice the LCD size is not an issue...AT ALL.

In my experience, if you have dedicated buttons for functions and little menu diving, you don't need a large screen. You just need to see parameter amounts and maybe what mode you're in. At no point in using the Verselab did I say to myself, "I wish this screen was bigger." and I'm an old man.
As a Deluge owner, I understand that a basic screen doesn't have to be a hindrance to usability in many areas. But when it comes to sample editing, graphics just work better than numbers IMHO.

The Deluge gets around this to some extent by using the pads themselves as a low rez touch display - but that ain't gong to happen on this instrument's 4x4 grid.
Old 11th January 2021
Gear Nut

Seems really limited...
Lives for gear
Quote:

valid points

My MC 101 doesn’t have a good workflow, I don’t like its workflow, I use it only as a sound module. But, now looking at this new beauty I hope that its workflow will offer to me a pleasant experience.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

That's similar to what I thought. As a longtime Maschine user, the workflow on the Verselab is similar, but way more simpler and focused. I took to it real quick.

The Versalab is not a do everything (live performance, hardware hub, etc) device. It's a studio-in-a-box. Grab a pair of headphones and make an album start-to-finish.

Theoretically it's beyond DAW-less...it's practically computer-less. You could upload the finished mix and mastered WAV files direct from the unit to your distribution platform through your phone.
Lives for gear

I just can't imagine this being pleasant for sequencing anything past basic percussion/melody.. There's a reason screens are a popular way to convey information.
Gear Addict
So does anyone know whether the zenbeats integration would allow one to do more detailed editing of sequences/samples on an IOS screen?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
so how can i add more than 1 audio track, f.e. record a live bass-guitar, guitar parts, vocals, and backing vocals, and layer these? Is that possible?
Yep. The Vocal track has 16 takes (one for each drum pad), so it's basically like 16 audio tracks since they can play at any part of your song. The total recording time is 12 minutes mono per project. There's also 2 tracks that can be set as Looper tracks and record only 60 seconds, but Looper tracks have timestretch and pitchshift.

You can edit the playback of a Vocal take by bar/measure, move the start/end time like a sample, and set the take's volume level. Also on the Vocal track you can send a Take through 1 of 6 compressors, a multi-effects processor, or the Vocal processor. There's a fair amount of guitar FX in there too, speaker/cab simulation, recreations of classic Boss FX, etc.
📝 Reply