The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why did you purge your Behringers?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Why did you purge your Behringers?

could probably rephrase the title, going to get a ton of quips about the hydraulics or needing an oil-change. but in all seriousness (...) : seeing a fair few people saying they have sold, are selling 'all their behringers'. so: why?

cue image of people buying up all of them compulsively splashing the cash (if only), before going off to compulsively buy the latest next thing. i don't and can't roll like that, just interested in the throughput (new word?).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
you are all welcome to go fund me to fight Behringer if you like.
I'll provide the details in a few weeks. when I get to one million likes.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
They vibrate on a very low frequency, and not in a good way
Old 2 weeks ago
I buy cheap things, I sell cheap things

Ill never sell the Pro One or VC 340...the rest? $18.50
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I watched the minimalists, I thought that's what everyone was doing now..?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I look forward to adding the B2600 to my collection when it finally becomes available in the US.

Via Analogue Heaven:

Selected post Dec 23, 2020; 7:23am Shameless advertisement .... testing the Behringer 2600
Florian Anwander-2. 2622 posts

Hi

if anyone is interested: I wrote a test about the Behringer 2600

German original:
https://www.amazona.de/test-behringe...nach-arp-2600/

quite googlish...:
https://translate.google.com/transla...nach-arp-2600/

Have fun

Florian

--
http://www.florian-anwander.de/
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Have neither bought nor sold a Behringer synth.
Am I missing out on something?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcppp View Post
Nope. Unlike those of us who have sinned, ''you have chosen wisely''. Your heart is pure and your soul saved.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Why you ask? I got a job. I don't have to eat ramen noodles or do horrible things to scrape up $[redacted] to buy used Behringer products from [redacted] GSers anymore. It's better if the emotional baggage of those synths is no longer in my life.

In seriousness, a good question OP. I am actually thinking of going the other way this year. I haven't purchased a single Behringer product and thinking I should at least try some of these synths out and make up my own mind about them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbkrawler View Post
Why you ask? I got a job. I don't have to eat ramen noodles or do horrible things to scrape up $18.50 to buy used Behringer products from skeevy GSers anymore. It's better if the emotional baggage of those synths is no longer in my life.
watch it mate!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Fair enough KCearl. I fixed it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I sold a Neutron because the design seemed a little half-baked to me. I was probably a bit hasty there but the Pro 1 was coming along and I didn't want too many 3340 based monos. I have kept the rest (Boog, K-2, Pro-1, MS-101, TD-3), even with flaws they're excellent.

With the copying, as soon as you buy Behringer you should be aware that this is what they have been doing since day 1. Their first products were versions of Aphex Exciters. In business you get people who push things to the limit, and Uli is one of those guys. Are Arturia any better? Arturia applies to trademark "Synthi" and releases
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Whatever sounds good I will buy, doesn't matter if it's Behringer, Dave Smith, Korg or whatever. I wouldn't say I will never ever buy Behringer gear thats silly, I wouldn't say no to a OBXa, CS-80 or a Synthex clone. I don't always agree with their business practices like cloning gear thats still being manufactured but that isn't a reason to stop buying their gear.

The people here don't represent all the musicians on this planet, most producers don't give a sh!t unlike some butthurt p*ssies here who act like Uli has killed their parents, I have other crap to worry about.

Dave Smith's gear is pretty expensive, Moog gear is pretty expensive while Behringer and Korg gear is very affordable. And Roland? F*ck Roland who cares about them Waldorf? Hah, they never fixed the syncing on the Blofeld if this is how they business I wouldn't bother with them.

I really would like to see Behringer producing an original clone that can compete with the REV-2 or the Moog One for an example. They called the BBG Wave their flagship synthesizer. I find that kinda misleading because it's technically not their design.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
I sold a Neutron because the design seemed a little half-baked to me. I was probably a bit hasty there but the Pro 1 was coming along and I didn't want too many 3340 based monos. I have kept the rest (Boog, K-2, Pro-1, MS-101, TD-3), even with flaws they're excellent.

With the copying, as soon as you buy Behringer you should be aware that this is what they have been doing since day 1. Their first products were versions of Aphex Exciters. In business you get people who push things to the limit, and Uli is one of those guys. Are Arturia any better? Arturia applies to trademark "Synthi" and releases
No one complains when Arturia does a VSTi of a vintage synth, no one says they're stealing something but if Behringer clones vintage gear then it's bad. The TR dm's have been cloned by other companies but no one complains about them.
Quote:
Fair enough KCearl. I fixed it.
we're good now, we're good....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post

sold the neutron too...I think Im the opposite of some here, I just want the more unavailable/overpriced vintage stuff, not really interested in "originals".

That being said I've got a model d, td3, and ms-1 for the chop...not interested in moog sounds or acid tbf, and I prefer my manther over the ms-1, not that theyre identical.

My MS-20mini and Karp will likely get the chop too along with my Yamaha Refaces, so its not just behringer cheapos...just tired of things I dont play taking up space for so long.

They can help towards funding a new Prophet maybe.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
a good question OP.
thanks, yeah i thought so, because i do notice some people getting through lots of new synths

that isn't a dig, although it might have read like one (so apolz if anyone took umbrage at the 1st post) - if i get something it tends to be quite a slow process.
i'm quite impressed if people have got the whole set (or close to), more for the commitment than the expense - because a little wall of analogue is quite a nice idea, and so is the format. i don't care about 'vintage' personally, so i'm not offended by the 'ethical issue' - it's been obvious for a couple of decades that something like this would have to come along with new production technology reproducing old circuits: the 'trickledown' process. i applaud it. but i'm not trying to start another one of those discussions. i would be interested if someone laid out the money, fully aware of that situation, and then had an 'ethical' impulse.

more interested if people got them and then, for one reason or other, decided they had to move on. was there a honeymoon period, and then you 'heard through' your original impression and found something you couldn't live with? did you find similarities and redundancy, and just keep a favourite? that kind of thing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Shockingly when I was browsing Reverb dot com this AM there was lots of gear from every manufacturer

So why are people selling Roland/Yamaha/Moog/whatever?

Musicians buy and sell gear all the time and have for decades

Why use that as a lame excuse to have yet another elitist anti Behringer thread?

Maybe in 2021 people will stop the useless virtue signalling about how special they are for not buying Behringer, no on f'ing cares
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
sold the neutron too...I think Im the opposite of some here, I just want the more unavailable/overpriced vintage stuff, not really interested in "originals".

That being said I've got a model d, td3, and ms-1 for the chop...not interested in moog sounds or acid tbf, and I prefer my manther over the ms-1, not that theyre identical.

My MS-20mini and Karp will likely get the chop too along with my Yamaha Refaces, so its not just behringer cheapos...just tired of things I dont play taking up space for so long.

They can help towards funding a new Prophet maybe.
Yup. We're in a golden age of gear now, there's so much around we can be fussy as we like. Acquiring too much stuff can definitely be a problem, saying "a nice P5 and be done with it" makes sense!

Last edited by rockmanrock; 2 weeks ago at 06:30 PM.. Reason: typo
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcppp View Post
No.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post
more interested if people got them and then, for one reason or other, decided they had to move on. was there a honeymoon period, and then you 'heard through' your original impression and found something you couldn't live with? did you find similarities and redundancy, and just keep a favourite? that kind of thing.
The MS-101 slow portamento is an annoyance, I can imagine some people selling it for that reason. Behringer might fix it if we're lucky. They should have copied the original idiot-proof sequencer, maybe with some extra memories. Even with its flaws, it's a hell of a lot of synth for the money. If I sold it, it would mainly be for space reasons.

I only bought the TD-3 because it was "a bargain" but I can't see myself making a load of banging acid at my age. If I'd had it a few decades back I'd have been like a pig in manure. It might get sold at some point. Small and cheap enough to keep around though.

The Boog, K-2 and Pro-1 I can't see myself selling, they're great little clones of the classics. Perennially useful.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have a couple and plan to get a couple more. I only sold one due to lack of space, the VC-340. I do plan on revisiting it again in the near future it’s really good.

It’s nice that it’s new and on the shelf to where I can do that. If it was a hard to find vintage piece that I put a lot of time into servicing I know I would not have let it go.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
For every Behringer you don't buy, I will buy two.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Because the MFer doesn't know what "enough" is, and somehow can't tell the difference between the good things they do and the bad things they do.

Or worse, he just doesn't care.

And I won't support those who are so... tone deaf.

Listen to Chappelle describe the Cosby situation and see if anything sounds familiar here, not actual rape of course, but the same sort of conflict between good and bad.

Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Shockingly when I was browsing Reverb dot com this AM there was lots of gear from every manufacturer

So why are people selling Roland/Yamaha/Moog/whatever?

Musicians buy and sell gear all the time and have for decades

Why use that as a lame excuse to have yet another elitist anti Behringer thread?

Maybe in 2021 people will stop the useless virtue signalling about how special they are for not buying Behringer, no on f'ing cares
Buying Behringer gear is sooooooooooooo 2020! Indeed like anyone would give a f*ck if some dude on the internet doesn't buy Behringer gear.

People could be selling their gear because they need the money, maybe they lost their job in this corona crisis.

If Uli's prophet 5 clone will have more voices and better features than DSI's Pro 5/10 I'll get Uli's clone. I'm very sure that Uli's version will have 16 voices and better features and it will cost way less than Dave's version. I think Uli will sell more Pro 5 units than Dave.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
I have a couple and plan to get a couple more. I only sold one due to lack of space, the VC-340. I do plan on revisiting it again in the near future it’s really good.

It’s nice that it’s new and on the shelf to where I can do that. If it was a hard to find vintage piece that I put a lot of time into servicing I know I would not have let it go.
Calibrating or soldering/soldering components isn't hard, tracing signals with an oscilloscope is easy too. The main problem with vintage gear is when an obsolete component stops working. Good luck trying to find some IC that hasn't been produced in 30 years.

Avoid those auctions in which they say "re-capped by a pro". That simply means "I went in with my solder iron and I f*cked up now the synth doesn't work anymore, please buy this".
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well, like I’ll do next to this thread, I purge Behringer by using the ignore function on every thread with Behringer in the title that I see because I got tired of every other thread being about Behringer.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
No.
Interesting that you’re a big proponent of cheap software emulations but no love for cheap real analog clones?

Also you’ve mentioned in the past that space was an issue in your studio that helped dictate that conclusion to go the plugin route.

Yet Behringer does up a lot of these in small Eurorack/desktop format. It would seem a godsend and a golden opportunity to have a scaled down studio with real analog oomph no?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_W View Post
Calibrating or soldering/soldering components isn't hard, tracing signals with an oscilloscope is easy too. The main problem with vintage gear is when an obsolete component stops working. Good luck trying to find some IC that hasn't been produced in 30 years.
I really don’t have any issues sourcing parts or coming up with solid workarounds.

Quote:
Avoid those auctions in which they say "re-capped by a pro". That simply means "I went in with my solder iron and I f*cked up now the synth doesn't work anymore, please buy this".
I’m not that stupid but I suppose having a professionally trained eye helps? I’ll look over the work performed and if done well it’s a given it will save me a lot of time doing it myself.

But you don’t have to worry about that because you make sooo much money you’d probably just buy a factory to build whatever synth you want.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Interesting that you’re a big proponent of cheap software emulations but no love for cheap real analog clones?

Also you’ve mentioned in the past that space was an issue in your studio that helped dictate that conclusion to go the plugin route.

Yet Behringer does up a lot of these in small Eurorack/desktop format. It would seem a godsend and a golden opportunity to have a scaled down studio with real analog oomph no?
I didn’t say they weren’t a good value, I said that if you didn’t have one, you weren’t missing anything. Everything they make has an alternative that’s as good if not better. Now if someone had asked, “I never bought an 002, am I missing something,” I’d have said, “yes.” There’s nothing really like it in cheap hardware or software.

Someone from Behringer once published some concept drawings of a hybrid synth that blew me away, at least on paper. There is literally nothing quite like it on the market. I’d buy that synth in a heartbeat, if the sound was great. But a Boog? Not for me. I’d buy a Studio Electronics SE-1x or Roland SE-02 before I bought a Boog. Behringer Pro 1? No thank you. I’d buy the Sequential/Pioneer mono before that, or a Pro 3. I’m not a slave to the past.
Closed