The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Discuss like it's 1998
Old 4 weeks ago
Discuss like it's 1998

I bought my very first real synth (a brand spanking new Korg Prophecy!!! Woohoo!!!) last year. It sounds fantastic (especially with those preset sounds from the new The Prodigy album!!!) but now I want something a bit more hands on, since the menu diving makes sound programming somewhat slow.

I read from Future Music that Roland is about to release some new synth called MC-505. Looks like a 303 but with a lot more knobs and buttons. FM didn't have sound demos but I assume it sounds like 303 with bigger balls?

I'd really like a synth with knobs. Knobby synths look pretty cool and would probably be fun to tweak new sounds on. Alas, there doesn't seem to be many such synths on the market. I'm not into those old vintage/analog synths since most of them don't seem to have patch memory and the new digital ones are much more convenient. Not to mention you can't really tell if you're listening to the digital or old analog synth anyway. I tried the Novation Supernova in the shop and it sounds exactly like Jarre's old albums! It is pretty damn spot on sounding like an analog synth! And those pad sounds were just awesome! Unfortunately it's way out of my price range so I have to settle for some cheaper alternative. Any ideas?

Also another question:
I'm sequencing and recording my home setup with Cakewalk (Windows 95). I'd highly prefer to use a sequencer running in DOS since Windows runs software so slowly. Does anyone know a good sequencer for DOS? I have Sound Blaster 32. My computer's Pentium 90 MHz 8 MB.

Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I can hear the AOL baud rate as dialup tries to connect without a TELEMARKETER sales call INTERRUPTION tying up the line, Which means those 7 hours of downloading one song off Napster to learn were for naught.

That Korg Prophecy sure has a cool mod wheel and touch strips, did anyone see Jan Hammer’s demo of it?

Last edited by namnibor; 4 weeks ago at 07:52 PM.. Reason: J
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I was goofing around on my new Alesis QS8, which I still have to this day.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Get an Atari ste, rock solid midi timing and built in midi ports. Pair it with a Tascam porta-02 and you have some serious setup for recording demo's
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Access Virus has a lot of knobs on it. But it’s expensive. If you want to go cheap, head to a pawn shop where you can pick up something way less expensive, maybe a Juno 106 for about $200.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraku View Post
Also another question:
I'm sequencing and recording my home setup with Cakewalk (Windows 95). I'd highly prefer to use a sequencer running in DOS since Windows runs software so slowly. Does anyone know a good sequencer for DOS? I have Sound Blaster 32. My computer's Pentium 90 MHz 8 MB.

Thanks!
Forget Windows 95!
I would switch to an Atari 1040 ST or Mega ST. It has build in Midi In/Out and is perfect for sequencing.

I use the Sequencer TwentyFour from Steinberg and couldn’t be happier!

//edit
Someone was faster...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I am selling my S-950 to get a 16 bit sampler.
Probably an S-1000 but I really want an EIII-XS.
Old 4 weeks ago
@ matt pinchin & @ Chandro Ji :

Not sure about the Atari. I know that for example Fatboy Slim uses Atari, but it feels like a downgrade since it has only 8 MHz CPU and can't record digital audio. My PC can easily record CD quality audio in Windows, but I hate Windows. So need to switch if possible. Tascam Porta 02 brings to mind that if I saved money for a DAT machine and maybe then use the Atari. But I dunno... What do the professionals use for recording?

@ NawSon :
Ah yes! I remember reading about Access Virus A a year or two ago. Forgot about it completely! Browsing through my old Future Musics they seemed to like it. It sure is expensive though :( I can't afford the Supernova and Virus seems to be in the same price range. Gotta find something cheaper. Your suggestion about the old analog Juno 106 could work, but it's still just an analog synth. I'd like to have more knobs if possible. But I could use the Juno 106 as a stepping stone for something better in the future. 200 sounds a lot for an analog these days, but I think I'll give it a shot if I can find one being sold locally.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just bought a Power Mac 5400 with the co-processor upgrade and 32MB RAM. Saved and slaved to get it. Got a gift of one Cubase VST authorization off the key floppy disk from the studio where I work, and my old job let me take the Echo Layla home as part of a redundancy package. I have my Emu ESI-4000 on the SCSI bus so I can load Emu CDs via the Mac's CD drive.

This is amazing! I can run 24 tracks of audio and as much MIDI as I can fit into my Soundcraft Spirit Folio (2 x Yamaha CS5 with Kenton Pro Solo, Alesis SR-16, Casio VZ-1, Crumar Bit One). The EQ is terrible in Cubase so I'll keep the Boss PQ50 parametric EQ, and the sweet British EQ in the Soundcraft. The Waves reverb plugin canes the processor so I'm using a Lexicon LXP15-II outboard. It sounds much better than any plugin. I have 10 ins and outs on the Layla, so that's cool.

I'm selling my Tascam Porta Two and Philip Rees PPS-100 synchronizer as soon as I transfer all the tapes. Anyone interested in old tech?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddoggie View Post
I am selling my S-950 to get a 16 bit sampler.
Probably an S-1000 but I really want an EIII-XS.
Update: No one wants to buy my S-950 - its old 12 bit technology and nobody wants that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I’ve finished just over 200 tracks so far this year.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have you seen the latest post on TheGasStation forum, in the Ye Olde Oberheim Abbey thread?! Oh, for an Oberheim, but they're damned expensive, even used! Xoxos says they're useless for techno, though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Roland have just released an awesome
Video! I think I’ll buy one of these!

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
DAT is the future. Everyone will have one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
MORE LIKE IT'S 1988 --still for us ;-)

First keyboard in '79 > CASIO .. had dual cassettes built in

My first DAW :: I had Roger Powells Texture > it was ported to my PC [86 ] and utilized the Roland MPU-401 MIDI interface. Way before you youngsters~~~ had a mouse in the hand..

Unfortunately {or Fortunate } -- our 3 main keyboards ---still require Floppies -- in 2020 ~!

Last edited by cjogo; 4 weeks ago at 10:03 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Did you guys hear about the tank?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedSignals View Post
DAT is really amazing, the wizardry in engineering to get it working is just beautiful.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedSignals View Post
Three of our machines required it ... no way to backup /recover without one ...AKAI DR 4a ~~ & 3 Roland VS machines ..

Mastering was a mixdown to a DAT -- we used a Masterlink until 2018

Then ZIP drives came along https://youtu.be/4OZALJqVPhg

Still on a stand alone DAW ( VS 2480) -- maybe venture over next year to the PC
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I'm pretty much just using Fast Tracker these days. Was using FT 1 for a few years (after selling my Amiga and going PC), and FT II is doing it for me now. I sometimes miss my old D-50 and ESQ-1 (sold them a year or so ago), but really I can do everything I need with samples and a tracker so, yeah.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If you wanna go adat go for the alesis hd24
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambsmilk View Post
I'm pretty much just using Fast Tracker these days. Was using FT 1 for a few years (after selling my Amiga and going PC), and FT II is doing it for me now. I sometimes miss my old D-50 and ESQ-1 (sold them a year or so ago), but really I can do everything I need with samples and a tracker so, yeah.
Hey Jenna <3 hope you’re good.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

For synths you could always look at the yamaha cs1x or if funds permit an an1x
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
I have replaced all my vintage analog synths with an AN1x and I couldn't be any happier!

(Brilliant thread idea! )
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Im in complete awe of the JP-8000 and disappointed I cant afford one and that I am stuck with my Juno 106 and Alpha Juno.
Old 4 weeks ago
I put some acoustic foam behind the computer but my recordings still sound muddy, does anyone know why?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Ok folks it’s over. I’ve just been at Messe hearing a demo of a software thing from Germany called Generator and a sampling counterpart called Transformator which will leave all your hardware setups obsolete. They run on normal PCs that are getting increasingly more powerful each year, don’t even need dedicated DSPs. This program can emulate any past, present or future music devices and will change the shape of music. Who wants to buy my Nord, Juno, 909 and Quasimidi rave-o-lution?
Old 4 weeks ago
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
I sold my Prophet-5 for $1000. Made a $300 profit! Used the money to buy a Nord Modular, but got sent the rack version, when I clearly ordered the keyboard version. So I'm gonna send the Nord back, and use the money to pay for computer music classes at the University of Washington. Hopefully I can make some progress on learning Csound, which I've been trying to do for a few years now with no success.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
Ok folks it’s over. I’ve just been at Messe hearing a demo of a software thing from Germany called Generator and a sampling counterpart called Transformator which will leave all your hardware setups obsolete. They run on normal PCs that are getting increasingly more powerful each year, don’t even need dedicated DSPs. This program can emulate any past, present or future music devices and will change the shape of music. Who wants to buy my Nord, Juno, 909 and Quasimidi rave-o-lution?
Generator was released in 1996
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Generator was released in 1996
Yes, it hasn’t gained traction yet and they’re still showing it at fairs. They’re saying they’re probably going to integrate both products in a single package next year.
📝 Reply