The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DSI Tetra/Mopho x4 Polychain issue - filter frequency capped at 127
Old 26th November 2020
Here for the gear
DSI Tetra/Mopho x4 Polychain issue - filter frequency capped at 127

Hi guys, thanks for taking the time to read me.

I've had my hands on a Mopho x4 for a few years now after owning a Tetra and loving it (apart from the lack of controls...). Now 4 voices polyphony is quite limiting and since this is my only hardware synth and I don't have the space for a Rev2 I got myself a Tetra again to polychain.

Setup was fine and almost everything works... almost.

For some reason changing the filter frequency on the mopho doesn't have the same range on Tetra. Starting from 0 to the max, I reach 164 on the Mopho but Tetra stops at 127. I can see as I gradually turn the pot that the values are different. Using the +/- instead of the pot I can see that once I pass 3 on the mopho it stays at 3 on the Tetra until I reach 6 on the Mopho and
the Tetra will change to 4, etc.

Yet, if I use the cutoff pot on the Tetra, I can reach 164!

This is especially weird because everything else seems to work perfectly. I don't have this issue with resonance, sub-osc, glide... or anything else like the LFO which goes up to 150.

Mopho is setup with Polychain: Out 4
Tetra is set with Polychain: inEnd
I tried playing with the PotMode with no success.

Any suggestion? The only other issue I have is when I set a basic patch on the mopho it doesn't set one on the tetra but that might be expected behaviour.

Cheers !
Old 26th November 2020
TJe
Gear Maniac

For me your Tetra is set to receive cc midi messages.Set it to NRPN in the midi settings menu and it should work as expected,I think.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
My gosh I love this forum. You were halfway right, it was my Mopho that was set to send CC instead of NRPN.

Gotta admit I don't know the difference so I'm to do some reading on the topic.

But before that, time to have some fun. Thanks a lot!
Old 27th November 2020
TJe
Gear Maniac

midi CC has a maximum of 128 values,NRPN has 16384 values (128*128).So the parameters are less 'steppy' when you set your synth to NRPN.Unfortunately not all DAWs receive/transmit NRPN midi messages,so that's probably why the previous owner of your Mopho had set it to 'CC'.
Old 10th December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
I've had this machine for quite some time actually and I'm probably the one who set it to CC as I'm now having issues with my DAW haha.

I'm running my Mopho with LocalControl Off so that I can control other synths easily without having the mopho playing out all the time and yet still be able to edit Mopho presets when needed. Unfortunately when When sending NRPN I'm getting crazy random values back (turn amp Attack a notch, get maxed out cutoff...).

I'm going to do a bit of digging in Ableton to see how I can solve this, hopefully this DAW is capable of handling it. My other option would be to set both the Mopho and Tetra to CC, I guess that would do the job.
Old 11th December 2020 | Show parent
TJe
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinsFox View Post
I've had this machine for quite some time actually and I'm probably the one who set it to CC as I'm now having issues with my DAW haha.

I'm running my Mopho with LocalControl Off so that I can control other synths easily without having the mopho playing out all the time and yet still be able to edit Mopho presets when needed. Unfortunately when When sending NRPN I'm getting crazy random values back (turn amp Attack a notch, get maxed out cutoff...).

I'm going to do a bit of digging in Ableton to see how I can solve this, hopefully this DAW is capable of handling it. My other option would be to set both the Mopho and Tetra to CC, I guess that would do the job.
No,I'm quite sure Live does receive only CC messages,unless you use a plugin editor like Soundtower or a Ctrlr panel to send/receive midi messages to your Mopho/Tetra.
📝 Reply