The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Enchanted forest
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

Enchanted forest

How would you personally go about making music or ambient sound for this type of theme?

First off probably (maybe) you would have to chose a scale. I wonder what the best one would be? Is there a "best one"? Is it even important

Tempo would be on the slow side.

Then what type of sounds? Both from the synth side of things and actual instruments.

I think reversed sounding synth pads would be good. They seem to me to conjure sunrises or sunsets.

Woodwind instruments almost certainly for that fluttery sound.

Breathy airy pads, maybe choirs? Bell pads? Chirp sounds? Wooden percussion?

You could add field recordings but that is cheating a bit.

What techniques would you deploy if you had to paint this picture with sound?
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Nut

I'd probably try and come up with an ostinato using something fairly consonant. Minor pent up a 5th maybe (1, 4, 5, 6, 9).
A couple of pads, for melody and harmony lines, and some chords or a drone.
A patch using noise to simulate trees gently moving around in the wind.
A couple of patches for abstract simulation of animal sounds, something twinkly for birds, something else closer to electronic fart noises for alien pond creatures.
Maybe an acoustic guitar playing arps and/or harmonics, or a bell synth sound to counterpoint to ostinato.
Would spend ages on the soundstage. Getting the right sense of depth and distance.

Tbh, for me and my tastes and influences, it would be very difficult to (at least subconsciously) not sound like either of these two Ozrics tracks;

Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

pretty much depends on the kind of enchanted forest (daytime, nighttime, enchanted, or rather spooky ?), the intended audience, and the medium (videogame or movie soundtrack ?)

for a videogame and an "all ages" audience, the Faron Woods theme from Twilight Princess is one of my favourite "enchanted forest" type game soundtracks, for example
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear