Behringer Linndrum

Behringer teases Linndrum pcb board
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Linndrum-fb_img_1606394982440.jpg  
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank goodness no ROM sockets :0)

Actually, the two ribbon connectors bespeaks two boards.

Hopefully they keep the variable sample rate playback and all it's costly addressing and data path.

Last edited by SkyWriter; 26th November 2020 at 03:02 PM..
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
But why?

I mean I can get the TR-X0X thing, because those are (mostly) analog.
But a primitive (by modern standards) PCM playback machine?

Or hopefully (judging by the deepmind12-style selection wheel layout) it's a programmable drum machine to compete with Elektron?
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Perhaps it is meant to go up directly against the Tr-8s with the ability to more quickly import samples and kits. Among the Tr-8s’s many strengths, this is a weakness.
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Does it have Swing?
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Just my 2 cents here. Everyone always says "it's a sample playback machine". While that's true, the signal path, slight timing inconsistencies and bit rate it uses gives it its mojo. Tune down an LM2 clap or rimshot. While you can do this in an Ableton Drum Rack, it just isn't the same. Same with a DMX, and SP12 - it's an early sample player that just sounds good in a weird quasi hifi way. Modern computers allow things to be too perfect sometimes. I do like Aly James's VProm, though. Even that is a little too clean at times.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude View Post
Just my 2 cents here. Everyone always says "it's a sample playback machine". While that's true, the signal path, slight timing inconsistencies and bit rate it uses gives it its mojo. Tune down an LM2 clap or rimshot. While you can do this in an Ableton Drum Rack, it just isn't the same. Same with a DMX, and SP12 - it's an early sample player that just sounds good in a weird quasi hifi way. Modern computers allow things to be too perfect sometimes. I do like Aly James's VProm, though. Even that is a little too clean at times.
That can be done with smart programming - but the question is - would Behringer, known for not being able to get firmware right for months - even bother?

Saying that - there's TAL-DAC which adds exactly that fat mojo through emulating dated sampling/resampling algorithms of old machines. Sounds really great on drums.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraze View Post
That can be done with smart programming - but the question is - would Behringer, known for not being able to get firmware right for months - even bother?
past tense, after working with them i can safely say the teams i am in touch with CAN get firmware right and it is showing in multiple products and many more to come - worth remembering that certain manufacturers who have been on our game for decades still F it up so....

Quote:
Saying that - there's TAL-DAC which adds exactly that fat mojo through emulating dated sampling/resampling algorithms of old machines. Sounds really great on drums.

agreed, TAL is super

not quite the same as a hardware linndrum though
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
But why?

I mean I can get the TR-X0X thing, because those are (mostly) analog.
But a primitive (by modern standards) PCM playback machine?

Or hopefully (judging by the deepmind12-style selection wheel layout) it's a programmable drum machine to compete with Elektron?
this was on the list of highly desirable remakes

a lot said they wanted this, a lot went barmy when they acquired the worn out old one from tears for fears and here we are

Lives for gear

Quote:
Behringer, known for not being able to get firmware right for months - even bother?
Or years - the Pro One still has the pitch bend problem amongst other things, and it took them forever to fix the envelopes...

Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here are pix from mine for the inevitable connector question.
Attached Thumbnails
Behringer Linndrum-c7e9037d-9687-4009-96ea-eb82e22258c2.jpg   Behringer Linndrum-e5ccef06-a805-43a4-a6b5-7d082a6eba15.jpg  
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
it took them forever to fix the envelopes...

the envelopes hardly took forever, less than 8 mths from release to fix iirc
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Nut

Great news... and one bad thing, too much rubber

for me, rubber should be banned from instruments
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke wave View Post
Great news... and one bad thing, to much rubber

for me, rubber should be banned from instruments
but never from nightclubs
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Guru

Tough one...Im resigned to an mpc or S1000 for drums, sold my meagre drum collection as samples just cover everything I need but the linn and dmx are two of my absolute favourites. But whens this in production, late 2021? I'll be deed lol
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
the envelopes hardly took forever, less than 8 mths from release to fix iirc
Oh, that's all......
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
Tough one...Im resigned to an mpc or S1000 for drums, sold my meagre drum collection as samples just cover everything I need but the linn and dmx are two of my absolute favourites. But whens this in production, late 2021? I'll be deed lol
I'm sure if they make this it will sell to those who always wanted a LinnDrum, but in all practicality it is easier and better using widely available LinnDrum samples - I started using LinnDrum samples back in the 90's with my S5000's and E64's. Today I do it with Digitakt - they have excellent Linn and 808 sound packs. At the end of the day, the LinnDrum was a low bit rate sampler - oversampling it today gets you all the sound, and the DT gives a nicer interface. And for those who fetish having a Linndrum - they still will not have one, they will have a BinnDrum...
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm sure if they make this it will sell to those who always wanted a LinnDrum, but in all practicality it is easier and better using widely available LinnDrum samples - I started using LinnDrum samples back in the 90's with my S5000's and E64's. Today I do it with Digitakt - they have excellent Linn and 808 sound packs. At the end of the day, the LinnDrum was a low bit rate sampler - oversampling it today gets you all the sound, and the DT gives a nicer interface. And for those who fetish having a Linndrum - they still will not have one, they will have a BinnDrum...
its the fetish thing I have, deskspace I dont.

When this virus thing is over Im going to be having a massive budget gear cull so I can start all over again

look out USPS come April

Old 26th November 2020
Here for the gear

They should make a Tempest.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Oh, that's all......

The gate thing was done a lot sooner - as in January WK1 so not too bad eh , it had a diff FW update prior to that too i believe

i have seen a lot worse than a month

i assumed we were talking about the much improved 1:1 behaviour that was rendered in august
Lives for gear

Quote:
its the fetish thing I have, deskspace I dont.

Get a bigger desk!
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

Bizarre this was chosen over recreating the SP1200? Also LD1 > DX/DMX > LD2 so why the LD2 over the others? Not to complain, if it's released rock solid and sans the bugs I'm on board but still
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

That's brilliant, always wondered when sth like this comes out because I think it's one of the biggest differences of (old)digital hardware and digital das counterparts. Will def check it out, TAL is a good one.
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Head
TR-8S bests every Behringer clone present and future. Especially sample-based ones. Why do they bother?
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnyc View Post
TR-8S bests every Behringer clone present and future. Especially sample-based ones. Why do they bother?
Funny my desire for a TR-8s is somewhere slightly below zero...never even been on my radar. Love Roland, have the 707 and 101 amongst others but not the recent TRs

Ok silly me...present and future? We get it, its behringer...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Funny my desire for a TR-8s is somewhere slightly below zero...never even been on my radar. Love Roland, have the 707 and 101 amongst others but not the recent TRs
You will get over this aberration
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funny my desire for a TR-8s is somewhere slightly below zero....
Right there with you on that. It is the most cheap plasticky feeling thing I have probably every laid my hands on...
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
You will get over this, aberration
That comma makes all the difference you bastard!
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Bizarre this was chosen over recreating the SP1200? Also LD1 > DX/DMX > LD2 so why the LD2 over the others? Not to complain, if it's released rock solid and sans the bugs I'm on board but still
well, SP as you know is a sampler (i have the 2400 enroute )

drum machines are somewhat simpler but i imagine it will not be too long before they delve into samplers, of course it is more than a huge step up and there is a lot more going on in FW so the right team really do have to be in place to avoid plane crashes, but we know they have been very busy behind the curtain and teams are assembled across the globe in key areas now, so we watch and we wait.....

long ago i suggested implementing OG and NEW.G methods on any cloned machines, with such machines this may become a possibility
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
scalpers ebay below asking Β£4k
πŸ“ Reply