The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic Pro x and Big Sur mac OS
Old 20th November 2020
Here for the gear

Logic Pro x and Big Sur mac OS

Hey guys!

So today i updated to Big Sur and everything is now working fine (all 3rd party plugins included!)

However Im now having an issue within logic where when i drag a piece of audio and im holding down the button ready to drop it somewhere else in the arrange window i cant see where the audio has gone nor do i have any idea of where it is going.
This is hugely affecting my workflow and i cant find any info online about it yet!

TIA
Old 21st November 2020
I think your best option is to submit a bug report and then hope Apple cares.
Old 22nd November 2020
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Anybody else tried it yet ?
Old 23rd November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginodoesdrums View Post
Hey guys!

So today i updated to Big Sur and everything is now working fine (all 3rd party plugins included!)

However Im now having an issue within logic where when i drag a piece of audio and im holding down the button ready to drop it somewhere else in the arrange window i cant see where the audio has gone nor do i have any idea of where it is going.
This is hugely affecting my workflow and i cant find any info online about it yet!

TIA
So 'everything is working fine' apart from all the things that aren't working?

Do you really need Big Sur for any reason? Do you have a back-up you can roll back to?

I'm on 10.13.6 High Sierra and everything is working fine here.
Old 23rd November 2020
Gear Maniac

I don't think you can easily roll back Big Sur.
Old 23rd November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkozyra View Post
I don't think you can easily roll back Big Sur.
I use Carbon Copy Cloner for back-ups. At any point, I can simply erase my disc and then clone any old back-up of my choosing onto it.
I'd definitely recommend it to all Mac users; much better than Time Machine.
Old 23rd November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
So 'everything is working fine' apart from all the things that aren't working?

Do you really need Big Sur for any reason? Do you have a back-up you can roll back to?

I'm on 10.13.6 High Sierra and everything is working fine here.
10.13.6 High Sierra here too. That update broke enough stuff that I think I'm staying here until I need new hardware. IIRC the reason I updated to 10.13 was that it was required for the next Logic version.
Old 23rd November 2020
Lives for gear

I was stupid enough to move to Catalina on my main machine, I wish I had never done it. It brought no benefits and all sort of mad permissions issues. I’m not planning to move to Big Sur until the hardware demands it.
Old 24th November 2020
Here for the gear

My Interface was not working on the current mac OS sierra and i couldnt find the High sierra download nor the catalina so i just took the plunge and went Big Sur.

Since this post i actually updated my Logic pro (It was on 10.4) so you can imagine the amount of things that got messed up in the process! Lots of plugins keep crashing the system and my CPU usage is just through the roof, Im still able to work (just about) but its hugely affecting workflow even with hal;f the project on frozen tracks im trying to put a reverb on a send and it keeps completely crashing guaranteed everytime.

I made the move to Slate Digital as well as my fab filters werent working and it just seems to take up so much CPU but yeah
Old 24th November 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Mojave is minimum to run Logic 10.5. Catalina is minimum to run Logic 10.6.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by enossified View Post
Mojave is minimum to run Logic 10.5. Catalina is minimum to run Logic 10.6.
I'm still on 10.4.7 what's better about 10.5?
Old 27th November 2020
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Sick n tired of mac updating their OS's it's so unnecessary, every 5 years ok, not every 2, the updates are just stupid sht they change anyways.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I'm still on 10.4.7 what's better about 10.5?
10.5 has the much improved sampler instruments (including the auto-sampling feature that's been in Mainstage for a while), the Loops and Step Sequencer features, all three bringing Ableton Live-like possibilities to Logic. I wouldn't call it essential unless you use regularly Live alongside Logic and would prefer to work in a single DAW.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
Sick n tired of mac updating their OS's it's so unnecessary, every 5 years ok, not every 2
It's not even 2 many more, it's every fall. I think the goal has been to accelerate the merging of the iOS and Mac OS platforms. With the new ARM chips, some iOS apps will actually run on the new machines today.

Mac users already have the option to have the OS automatically updated for them which I think is the the future, like it or not. The days of choosing when to make OS updates are going away for most users.

My iPhone has updates to apps almost every single day and some apps like Facebook and Spotify seem to update weekly.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear