The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Ensoniq ESQ 1
Old 3rd December 2020
Lives for gear

My SQ-80 doesn't clack, at least it does not bother me.
And all the aftertouch and velocity works for each key.
call me lucky.
Old 3rd December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenOcean View Post
is it safe enough to keep the original battery in there ? i own the first metal case esq 1 model with the battery vertically positioned on the bottom left of the mainboard and it reads 0.33v so its definitely dead but there is no corrossion or any other sign of damage, is it safe to keep it there or at any time this thing can explode causing damage to mb ?
I kept a dying->dead battery in my SQ for 5 years before replacing. I've never heard of one leaking or exploding.
Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
is it safe enough to keep the original battery in there ? i own the first metal case esq 1 model with the battery vertically positioned on the bottom left of the mainboard and it reads 0.33v so its definitely dead but there is no corrossion or any other sign of damage, is it safe to keep it there or at any time this thing can explode causing damage to mb ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
I kept a dying->dead battery in my SQ for 5 years before replacing. I've never heard of one leaking or exploding.
All of those batteries will leak over time -- the only question is how long will they last. I had the same kind of battery in my Poly-800 for literally 31 years (with half of that unprotected in an attic) before I had the entire synth cleaned up. The battery still had 2 volts left it in, but for the $4 it cost to have a new one put in, I wasn't going to risk damaging the mainboard by seeing how much further I could push the battery.

Also, a battery showing only .33V will not save your settings or patches -- or not save them for very long, at least. If you can replace the battery for a few dollars, you might as well. The damage a leaking battery can cause to the mainboard is expensive to repair.

Steve
Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Don't all batteries leak in time?

I'd replace it, power it up, and have some fun.
Old 4th December 2020
PHG
Lives for gear

Has anyone done the ESQ-M conversion to add the extra SQ-80 waves? Is it easy enough to do on your own? I am OK with a soldering iron.
Old 4th December 2020
Lives for gear

On a different topic.
How many have re-capped the PSUs on your Ensoniq gear?

I have an SQ-80 that is randomly rebooting and I think it is time to re-cap
(once I scope and actually see that the caps aren't doing what they should)

Will be looking for excessive ripple on the +5Vdc line.
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowsOfLife View Post
All of those batteries will leak over time -- the only question is how long will they last. I had the same kind of battery in my Poly-800 for literally 31 years (with half of that unprotected in an attic) before I had the entire synth cleaned up. The battery still had 2 volts left it in, but for the $4 it cost to have a new one put in, I wasn't going to risk damaging the mainboard by seeing how much further I could push the battery.

Also, a battery showing only .33V will not save your settings or patches -- or not save them for very long, at least. If you can replace the battery for a few dollars, you might as well. The damage a leaking battery can cause to the mainboard is expensive to repair.

Steve
It's pretty common to replace the batteries in these with a battery holder that can use standard coin batteries. If you're going to go to the trouble of replacement, you only have to wrangle with it once.
Old 5th December 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
It's pretty common to replace the batteries in these with a battery holder that can use standard coin batteries. If you're going to go to the trouble of replacement, you only have to wrangle with it once.
Exactly. And since the Ensoniqs here were newer and more expensive than the Poly-800s (some of which didn't even come with internal batteries), I would hazard a guess that most of the synths we're talking about here have a battery holder that's just waiting patiently for another $4 battery to hold the synth's settings over for another decade or two...and to keep the current one from spilling its guts all over the mainboard.

Steve
📝 Reply