The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg Sequencer SQ-64 Polyphonic Sequencer
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exe2479 View Post
It's 64 projects * 16 patterns * 64 steps as far as I understood it.
Chain mode allows to select multiple patterns to be played in sequence... Anybody knows how many "links" could you make? For instance pattern A x2, pattern Bx3, again pattern Ax2, pattern C... 16 links?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VennD68 View Post
Pretty odd call when the Electirbe Mk I, Mk II, ESX, EMX, Triton, M1, Monologue, Minilogue Mk I & II, RADIAS, Oasys and Kronos all have decently functioning and usable sequencers in all of them but lets call out the Electribe 2 as a reason to hate on their ability to provide a sequencer you actually like.
? I think you were trying to quote Bach666. If that wasn't clear: I've personally no doubt Korg can deliver sequencers.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
? I think you were trying to quote Bach666. If that wasn't clear: I've personally no doubt Korg can deliver sequencers.
Yep I hit quote like one normally would so don't know what happened there.
I do agree though that the Electribe 2 was a step backward sequencer wise.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvshpr View Post
One mod lane for each track? Is that also true for the drum lanes?
Was this ever answered? Also is it the same via MIDI?
Here for the gear

It looks as though the pitch CV has to be quantised to a scale or chromatically, i.e. no sequencing of pitches ‘in between’ each semi tone, is that right?

I’ve had a quick look at the manual but didn’t see anything definitive on this.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
May have contender...this would be an attractive alternative, especially at under 150USD.

https://www.gearnews.com/bcr32-behri...s-a-sequencer/

Personally I have paid my '1E' to reserve one fo these for under 400E... IMO this is the most interesting looking step sequencer of the bunch, especially for CV.

https://oxiinstruments.com/

Last edited by SLiC; 2 weeks ago at 04:35 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Does anyone know if you'll be able to step through this thing using irregular gate pulses from modular gear? I'm assuming so, though I watched a few videos and have not seen it done. I know there's a 3.5mm clock sync input, but wasn't sure if you still have to press play on the sequencer and it tries to slave to the external clock,
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by augustusarnone View Post
Does anyone know if you'll be able to step through this thing using irregular gate pulses from modular gear? I'm assuming so, though I watched a few videos and have not seen it done. I know there's a 3.5mm clock sync input, but wasn't sure if you still have to press play on the sequencer and it tries to slave to the external clock,
Apparently clock IO is a stereo minijack so that it can support a clock and a start/stop signal ( like the din sync protocol) so in principle yes.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

What about the beatstep pro and keystep pro? Do those step? I just got a Tip Top Trigger Riot and I'm interested mostly in letting the TR be the beating heart but then programming and storing gate sequences, which triggers fire and which skip, on another device.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I think it will depend on two factors. If it is always expecting a 24ppqn clock I would say no. If you can adjust to 4ppqn then maybe. If it supports 1 pulse per step, almost definitely.

On the other hand the next question is how does clock interact with run/stop? Does it require a signal to be held high to keep running or does it rely on a pulse (I can’t remember what DIN Sync does in this regard). Also does it automatically reset based on the state of run/stop?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

That's a good point, I guess you'd expect if that were the case there would be different modes which would determine how the input clock was interpreted. Wonder when we'll get a manual. I haven't seen every video on this, surprised though if it hasn't been covered? That molten music review one is like 47 minutes long. Seriously? You can't talk faster?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's a good point, I guess you'd expect if that were the case there would be different modes which would determine how the input clock was interpreted. Wonder when we'll get a manual. I haven't seen every video on this, surprised though if it hasn't been covered? That molten music review one is like 47 minutes long. Seriously? You can't talk faster?
Sure, all this can be configured. Here's the manual with the available options: https://www.korg.com/tmp/support/dow...e=0&prodid=872
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the manual link, it says:

"Use the SYNC IN and OUT jacks of the SQ-64 when you synchronize to the output pulses and steps from the audio output jacks of sources such as the Korg volca series or a DAW. Use a 3.5 mm TS mini-phone cable for connections."

I'm assuming, or at least hoping, that means it will advance steps each time it receives a pulse? Ayyy, if it does that I will get it, if not I'm looking at Intellijel Steppy. The Korg looks like a lot more features and a really cool interface for 50 more dollars.
Gear Maniac

Curious what use case you would have for per-step advancing of a 4-track sequencer where all 4 tracks are advancing per step together?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I compose electronic music and realize it with modular. I layer it all together one strand at a time in my studio, not really looking for live use necessarily, it's possible but not primarily. As a pianist I've performed a lot of really rhythmically complex contemporary music, Boulez, Xenakis, Ferneyhough, Babbitt. So the music I compose uses that kind of rhythmic language - tuplets, nested tuplets - which js really just clock division and multiplication. I've been composing scores with a notation program, Lilypond, and then using the MIDI output as sequences to send to my Eurorack rig. But modular itself has changed my composition process a great deal. For example, I use serial techniques with arrays of intervals, have for years with instrumental music. With modular though those intervals can be instantly scaled up or down with attenuation or amplification of the voltages, so you get the same intervallic relationships but with totally different divisions of the octave. Just an example, but the point is this change in workflow had me composing in ways I never would have say if I were programming oscillators in Max, and trying to do all the math to fix the frequencies. Just speeding it up let me experiment with microtones in a way not possible for me before.

In a nutshell, I'm interested in separating out the different meters from the sequence of which gates fire, or don't, and from the sequence of pitches itself. I would use fixed collections of all of them but recombine them in different ways every time. If you know what isorhythmic motets are, it's sort of the same principle but a bit more complicated. The Trigger Riot can do any kind of tuplet relationship you could ever want and they can be stored in banks, but it doesn't have specific gate sequences, it fires on every division, unless you set probability. So I want that thing to fire off pulses, and to be able to switch it in real time, but then feed it to precomposed gate sequences. It's not music that has one beat, so the built in clock is no use to me, I'm not ever going to stick exclusively to 16th notes or dividing quarter notes by factors of 2. I actually derive the pitch voltages from a Polyend Preset, so those voltage sequences won't be tethered to the gate sequences, though I might want that sometimes, in which case the Korg would work fine for that. As far as 3 gate/cv/mod channels, maybe chords sometimes, but I would have a lot of different strands with totally different meters so I have to record them one at a time anyway. This is how I'm working now anyway, I compose my materials this way already, recycling independent sequences in new combinations, I just do it all in music notation. Moving towards a modular approach in order to find new patterns I wouldn't have thought of otherwise.

Last edited by augustusarnone; 1 week ago at 05:28 PM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Apparently Thommann and other retailers are delaying the SQ-1 to February. Anyone know what’s going on?
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
One mod lane for each track? Is that also true for the drum lanes?
You can set one modulation per step, but velocity is considered modulation, so in MIDI it's either velocity or one CC. Dealbreaker for me, really disappointed.

Last edited by TmTmClb; 6 days ago at 03:30 AM.. Reason: Quoted wrong msg
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmTmClb View Post
You can set one modulation per step, but velocity is considered modulation, so in MIDI it's either velocity or one CC. Dealbreaker for me, really disappointed.
Yeah, me too. I have moved on to supporting the Oxi One. It is slated to come out sometime in 2021.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah, me too. I have moved on to supporting the Oxi One. It is slated to come out sometime in 2021.
Me 3, payed my 1E now hurry up and launch!
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmTmClb View Post
So you can you really put 1 mod on each drum sub track? If so, can you sacrifice other drum sub track mods to put multiple CCs to a single drum voice and modulate for instance velocity AND decay?

As an example, the 3 CV mods are completely untethered physically from the melody tracks, so you could attach 3 to a single melody or drum sound or even modulate stuff that is not being sequenced at all (like a synth you are playing leads on.)
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlutShame View Post
So you can you really put 1 mod on each drum sub track? If so, can you sacrifice other drum sub track mods to put multiple CCs to a single drum voice and modulate for instance velocity AND decay?

As an example, the 3 CV mods are completely untethered physically from the melody tracks, so you could attach 3 to a single melody or drum sound or even modulate stuff that is not being sequenced at all (like a synth you are playing leads on.)
The manual is up online, give it a read. Drum tracks don't have access to the pitch functions, only gate.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Read it already. Unless I am missing it, It only says that PITCH is unavailable for track D. I asked this question because the quoted response seemed to indicate drum mod was available. The manual does not say that Modulation is unavailable for track D. But I suspect you are right.

My question stands, because I do believe that while there are likely only 3 mod lanes, they seem to be divorced from the melody track itself, and could be configured to send midi CC or CV to devices as needed.

Still, if true, the MIDI would be considerably better on a Keystep Pro, allowing 20 midi CC messages.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
Apparently Thommann and other retailers are delaying the SQ-1 to February. Anyone know what’s going on?
i've heard there is some kind of virus going around?
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
i've heard there is some kind of virus going around?
Shouldn't said virus affect other items, or is it selective?
📝 Reply