The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Korg Sequencer SQ-64 Polyphonic Sequencer
Old 19th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
OK.
now we need a SQ-128
7+1 tracks, 128 steps per pattern

(also, the management of long notes seems really messy...
it reminds me the horrible sequencer on electribe2
with the "tie" function)
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudest View Post
(also, the management of long notes seems really messy...
it reminds me the horrible sequencer on electribe2
with the "tie" function)
I have a feeling this is kinda built on that sequencer
Old 19th November 2020
Deleted 4d99779
The Roland MC-101 is around the same price and pretty much has all the MIDI features of the SQ-64. It's also smaller and has a full ROMpler synth engine with 3000+ presets and quite a few drum kits. It's missing the CV connections though, so I would say that the SQ-64 is more of a device for the modular crowd. MC-101 plus a MIDI-to-CV convertor would be a nice alternative. Not hating on the SQ-64 here: it's looks like a classy and quality device with a lot of sequencing possibilities. There is only so much choice these days, and I'm not seeing any features that make me want to rush to the store and buy the SQ-64.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 4d99779 View Post
The Roland MC-101 is around the same price and pretty much has all the MIDI features of the SQ-64. It's also smaller and has a full ROMpler synth engine with 3000+ presets and quite a few drum kits. It's missing the CV connections though, so I would say that the SQ-64 is more of a device for the modular crowd. MC-101 plus a MIDI-to-CV convertor would be a nice alternative. Not hating on the SQ-64 here: it's looks like a classy and quality device with a lot of sequencing possibilities. There is only so much choice these days, and I'm not seeing any features that make me want to rush to the store and buy the SQ-64.
i love the music you have made with the 101, now, it seems weird to make even the slightest link all things considered and i don't think they even belong in the same book, never mind paragraph

i would rather hit myself in the face with a hammer than use the 101 fwiw

this is definitely toward modular, no secrets there
Old 19th November 2020
Lives for gear

Definitely geared towards modular. However, it still seems the Keystep Pro is a better option - all the same connectivity, 4 melodic tracks instead of 3, plus a separate drum sequencer and a keyboard built in for those who don't want to program with step pads. Am I missing something here?
Old 19th November 2020
Lives for gear

The long-note behavior is ridiculous, here. wtf.

Hopefully that gets addressed via firmware.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
Definitely geared towards modular. However, it still seems the Keystep Pro is a better option - all the same connectivity, 4 melodic tracks instead of 3, plus a separate drum sequencer and a keyboard built in for those who don't want to program with step pads. Am I missing something here?
Yeah, polyphonic tracks and the size of the thing. SQ64 takes almost 50% less desk space.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoy View Post
Yeah, polyphonic tracks and the size of the thing. SQ64 takes almost 50% less desk space.
Keystep Pro has polyphonic tracks - only 9" longer and 2" wider yet includes a keyboard. If you want anything other than step entry with the Korg you will need a separate keyboard which will end up taking up much more space.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Keystep Pro has polyphonic tracks - only 9" longer and 2" wider yet includes a keyboard. If you want anything other than step entry with the Korg you will need a separate keyboard which will end up taking up much more space.
True, I always confuse Beatstep Pro with Keystep Pro. However if you already have plenty of keys you’d be better off with the compact SQ-64 rather than the not polyphonic BSP and the much bigger KSP. It’s great to have options and I think Korg strikes a good balance here.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope, not missing anything. KSP FTW.
Old 19th November 2020
Gear Guru

KSP is a killer little box tbf

lazerbrains some people just want a step sequencer though, it's that easy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
Nope, not missing anything. KSP FTW.
Well, apparently it is so HUGE that it will break your desk, but otherwise....
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m pretty sure you don’t need to be thought about absolutes and relatives at this point.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
KSP is a killer little box tbf

lazerbrains some people just want a step sequencer though, it's that easy
Sure I get that, but really asking for myself as I am shopping for a little sequencer right now. KSP seems much more powerful and useful for me.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sure I get that, but really asking for myself as I am shopping for a little sequencer right now. KSP seems much more powerful and useful for me.
Aaah gotcha, yeah ksp is hard to beat right now in this little format
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL, yeah it's bigger than a 747!
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm a KSP fanboi, but slight correction with that: The KSP is either four melody tracks or three melody tracks and a drum sequencer. KSP still rules in my heart, though.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I'm a KSP fanboi, but slight correction with that: The KSP is either four melody tracks or three melody tracks and a drum sequencer. KSP still rules in my heart, though.
Thanks for that. So then other than the keyboard vs pads, they are more similar in specs it sounds like?
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for that. So then other than the keyboard vs pads, they are more similar in specs it sounds like?
That and the KSP has more knobs, which comes in handy when parameter-locking randomness and velocity and such.
Old 19th November 2020
Gear Maniac

I love my KSP. But no ratchets makes me a sad boy... I’m waiting to hear more from actual owners before I pass judgment, but this does ratchets!
Old 20th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
Pads that aren't awesome feeling and both Velocity/Pressure sensitive ought to be a crime. So dumb and lazy, I think.

Cool box, otherwise. I'll probably buy one, and never use it's pads for entry. What sort of loon wants to enter or dial in Velocity as a first and only choice? Weirdos. Get outside more.

Grr.
Literally all I wanted Korg to make was an SQ-1...but with 64 or even 32 steps (same amount of knobs too obviously) that would have been much simpler and made me super happy. This thing is cool and better than nothing, but not what I wanted and is less intuitive for how I like to use sequencers.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chri View Post
Korg’s target market seems to be non-players who want to make music.
The thing is I am half way between both. I like to play my sequencer like an instrument. SQ-1 lets me do that, this SQ-64 will be cumbersome. If only they made an identical sequencer to the SQ-1 but with 64 or like I said even 32 notes with a knob for each I would buy it day one and order a few of them.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Yeh, but you can’t get it in black yet!

I think the SQ is a totally different thing, 64 LED pads (more like a Deluge, Polyend etc) and a nice OLED display...all metal, small form factor (the last thing I need is another keyboard!) alrdeay having a street price around £250, looks like a winner to me (especially as Korg are pretty good at updating products).

I assume as it also has USB midi it would double as a launchpad for Live etc!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
I like to play my sequencer like an instrument. SQ-1 lets me do that, this SQ-64 will be cumbersome. If only they made an identical sequencer to the SQ-1 but with 64 or like I said even 32 notes with a knob for each I would buy it day one and order a few of them.
The SQ-1 I never found appealing, but understand what you mean about the SQ-64 seeming cumbersome for playing. The step input looks really good. I have yet to feel the buttons, but based on the "logue" sequencer buttons, it should be very easy and satisfying to click steps. The other controls though.... I agree with you on the "jammability" or how cumbersome it looks. Going beyond adjusting the pitch of steps, changing things like time division, modulation, and midi CCs of tracks are all on different pages and share the same physical controls. That's my concern.

Of course, if the midi implementation is robust enough, and you could map "reverse on track one", or "velocity on track three" to an external control, I would be totally open to having to use another midi controller to augment the SQ-64. But we'll have to see. I'd have to give Korg an overall grade of B- on their midi implementations. They like to leave important yet obvious stuff out.

Quick aside. I'm not asking for RGB for the sake of it, but this device is really asking for more than two colors. It would be helpful to be able to tell what mode you were in based on pad color. Control Mode should probably allow you a wide range of color options. But hey, that's just me.
Lives for gear

Looks useful.

Holding out for the 8-track version.
Old 26th November 2020
Lives for gear

I don’t trust Korg’s ability to create a competent sequencer. They never fixed the issue with the Electribe 2 that caused transitions between switching patterns to mess up FX and cut off samples.

They never implemented a way to chain patterns on the Minilogue, Monilogue, or Minilogue XD. After over 7 years, the Volca range can only store 16 1-bar patterns max. Korg has shown that they don’t care about the functionality of the sequencer in most of the products they’ve produced in the last decade.
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
I don’t trust Korg’s ability to create a competent sequencer.
It does seem like Korg has struggled more than other major instrument manufacturers to create a decent sequencer implementation. From their older 80's hardware sequencers that were all but unusable (SQ-8 and the oddly limited SQD-1) to the current workstation sequencers which have a weird UI/UX that I find very off-putting.

I do think the older EMX/ESX electribes had very useable, functional sequencers with only a few minor quibbles (some shift-button usage). They also sounded better too but that is just my opinion...
Lives for gear

The Volca Drum sequencer is great, for what it is. The only issue is the 16 pattern limit, no banks, no dumping and retrieving from a computer, etc. Other than that, it's a fun little sequencer. Glitch-free legato pattern switching is always welcome. Hopefully that carries over to the SQ-64.
Lives for gear

I will say it again, please...Korg, make an identical sequencer to the SQ-1....but with 32 knobs for each of the 32 steps instead of doing just 16.

Ok...I won't say it anymore, I will just hope.
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
I don’t trust Korg’s ability to create a competent sequencer. They never fixed the issue with the Electribe 2 that caused transitions between switching patterns to mess up FX and cut off samples.
Totally forgot the Electribe 2 was a thing. Anyone still using it? Based on past release schedules it's about time for a new version.

Quote:
They never implemented a way to chain patterns on the Minilogue, Monilogue, or Minilogue XD. After over 7 years, the Volca range can only store 16 1-bar patterns max. Korg has shown that they don’t care about the functionality of the sequencer in most of the products they’ve produced in the last decade.
Volcas are what they are, so I don't expect much more than sound generation. But the logues... I agree with you. I think eventually they'll add some more sequencer functionality. The question is when.

If not, there's always the custom firmware route.
📝 Reply