The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration
Old 6th November 2020
  #1
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration

Hello!

I got a poor Emu EIIIXP from flea market. This is the worst condition electrical device I ever owned. I mean, it looks like it was left in a muddy back yard, soaked in the rain and snow then baked in the sun for 10 years. Attached pictures say 1000 words. State of the art device in so sad and poor condition.

My intention is - to restore it and make it nice and 100% functional, with none or minimum new purchased parts and pieces. What do you think?! Is that possible? :-)

This EIIIXP from outside looks nasty. But real disaster is inside. Deep rust, PCB corrosion, dirt deeply in each part. HDD was loose, hitting freely inside the case hung on the SCSI cable. PCBs, IC's, sockets, headers, cables - all badly corroded and filthy. Bad smell of moisture, rust, rat piss and feces.

I got system disks images and made floppies with omniflop.

I'm searching for:

- service manual and schematics (!?!)
- any parts donation (slider caps are missing, new front panel wouldn't hurt...)
- any good advice and compassion

I'll post my progress on this forum.

Best regards and stay tuned...

Suad
Attached Thumbnails
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-01.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-02.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-03.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-04.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-05.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-06.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-07.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-08.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-09.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-10.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-11.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-12.jpg  
Old 6th November 2020
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
That looks like a fun project!

For the electronics, probably start off with a lot of demineralized water. It's a little hard to see from the pictures how much actual damage there might be from corrosion, leaking capacitors/batteries etc., and how much is just muck that will wash out.

I've never seen the EIIIXP service manual, but there is one for the EIII keyboard. As far as I know they are related, but not the same:

https://archive.org/details/e-mu_Emu...ge/n3/mode/2up

edit - actually, it appears I'm wrong - the rack doesn't have much in common with the keyboard :(
Old 7th November 2020 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by niklasni1 ➡️
That looks like a fun project!

For the electronics, probably start off with a lot of demineralized water. It's a little hard to see from the pictures how much actual damage there might be from corrosion, leaking capacitors/batteries etc., and how much is just muck that will wash out.

I've never seen the EIIIXP service manual, but there is one for the EIII keyboard. As far as I know they are related, but not the same:

https://archive.org/details/e-mu_Emu...ge/n3/mode/2up

edit - actually, it appears I'm wrong - the rack doesn't have much in common with the keyboard :(
Well, unfortunately damage is deep. I'll cover every step of this restoration. This poor thing was left in mud and rain for years...

EiII keyboard and EIII rack have much in common (I'm the proud owner of EIII/turbo keyboard bought new in early 90ties). However, EIIIXP is nothing like EIII. It's more like ESI32.

Best regards

S
Old 7th November 2020 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
StarfishMusic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scokljat ➡️
Well, unfortunately damage is deep. I'll cover every step of this restoration. This poor thing was left in mud and rain for years...
Actually I think this EIIIXP could prove useful, if you have a boat you don't want to float away.
Old 8th November 2020
  #5
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration

Update 1 - Disassembly and damage evaluation

Hello all,

I disassembled the EIIIXP up to the smallest part. Some screws were hard to remove due to rust and some screws are so rusted that heads just break. This broken screws will be pita later in the project...

Metal casing is worst of all. Deep rust everywhere, lot of deep scratches on paint. I will strip it to bare metal, remove rust and repaint.

Mainboard is no so bad. However, there is heavy mold and corrosion in the corner around SCSI IC and connectors. Also, several of sample RAM IC bypass capacitors are burnt to the point there is deep black burnt hole in PCB. I hope middle layers are not damaged. Several IC sockets must be replaced and all needs good cleaning and inspection. All in all - sounds promising...

Analog board is also not so bad, with some heavy corrosion near 60 pin connector and channel 7-8 DAC. Needs good cleaning, replacement of some corroded sockets and components. Outputs jacks look rusty from outside (rust from nuts), but from inside not so bad. Jacks must be cleaned with extra work for SUB3 L/R outs.

PSU looks OK, no rust. However, capacitors leaked all over the PCB, traces are starting to corrode. ...and the smell is adorable ;-) Needs cleaning and full recap. Both fuses are OK.

Front panel is filthy. I mean - very filthy! Hard dust, animal hair... Well OK, this is to be expected from a 30 year old device. There is some corrosion, especially on 40 PIN FPC header and some vias. Needs good cleaning and inspection. Most likely new volume and data pots and if all goes well a new blue OLED at the end.

External SCSI Centronics connectors are total disaster as this corner of device was most likely collecting water. Same goes for other FPC cables and wires. Needs good inspection, clean and restore ones that are restorable and others make new.

Power switch, AC input, headphone jack, etc, not so bad, need good cleaning.

Floppy drive externally have some corrosion, not sure from inside. I'm confident I'll repair and restore the floppy because I'm good at this from my retro computer collection projects.

Hard drive is heavily corroded. Needs partial disassembly (only remove PCB), cleaning and inspection. I don't put much hope in it. At the end, if all goes well, I'll install SCSI2SD.


That's all for now. Stay tuned for more...

Stay safe and best regards,

Suad
Attached Thumbnails
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-013.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-014.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-015.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-016.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-017.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-018.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-019.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-020.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-021.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-022.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-023.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-024.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-025.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-026.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-027.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-028.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-038.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-039.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-037.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-031.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-029.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-030.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-032.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-034.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-035.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-036.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-033.jpg  
Old 9th November 2020 | Show parent
  #6
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic ➡️
Actually I think this EIIIXP could prove useful, if you have a boat you don't want to float away.
Haha! You mean if I have a submarine I don't want to "float" away? ;-)

Well, let's try to make this poor EIIIXP play music again before we float it away (again). OK?

Cheers!

S

PS. Teaser - 2x40 OLED display and 10KB sliders ordered and shipping ;-)

Last edited by scokljat; 10th November 2020 at 01:06 AM..
Old 10th November 2020 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
StarfishMusic's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scokljat ➡️
Haha! You mean if I have a submarine I don't want to "float" away? ;-)

Well, let's try to make this poor EIIIXP play music again before we float it away (again). OK?

Cheers!

S

PS. Spoiler alert - 2x40 OLED display and 10KB sliders ordered and shipping ;-)
I have an EIII keyboard sitting broken in the closet in way better condition then your EIIIXP. I bought it in 1999 for $600 from a Guitar center which I believe even then it was a good deal. It sounded awesome for 2 months than the screen flickered, with a little clicking sound and no boot. I really dont know how to go about fixing it, though I do think it could be a power supply calibration problem which I hear is common. Could also be the hard drive. It's been completely unused and stored for the last 21 years. Cosmetically it's like brand new!

One day I'll do something to get it going but I still have an EMAX 1 in the other closet and that works perfectly. Im just running out of space.

There was a site for people go for info on the these things. It was called Emulator Archive but it stopped being active some time ago. If I recall correctly there became a new vintage emulator forum that archived all the info from the Emulator Archive. I can't seem to be able to find it though in a quick google search. There a website called synth ark that references it and claims to house the archive. It describes the Emulator Archive and has links to pages with info. Some of the product pages work but some links are dead including any EIII ones. Maybe with some research you can find the archive if you need it:

http://synthark.org/Archive/EmulatorArchive/index.html

Last edited by StarfishMusic; 10th November 2020 at 03:19 AM..
Old 11th November 2020 | Show parent
  #8
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarfishMusic ➡️
I have an EIII keyboard sitting broken in the closet in way better condition then your EIIIXP. I bought it in 1999 for $600 from a Guitar center which I believe even then it was a good deal. It sounded awesome for 2 months than the screen flickered, with a little clicking sound and no boot. I really dont know how to go about fixing it, though I do think it could be a power supply calibration problem which I hear is common. Could also be the hard drive. It's been completely unused and stored for the last 21 years. Cosmetically it's like brand new!

One day I'll do something to get it going but I still have an EMAX 1 in the other closet and that works perfectly. Im just running out of space.

There was a site for people go for info on the these things. It was called Emulator Archive but it stopped being active some time ago. If I recall correctly there became a new vintage emulator forum that archived all the info from the Emulator Archive. I can't seem to be able to find it though in a quick google search. There a website called synth ark that references it and claims to house the archive. It describes the Emulator Archive and has links to pages with info. Some of the product pages work but some links are dead including any EIII ones. Maybe with some research you can find the archive if you need it:

http://synthark.org/Archive/EmulatorArchive/index.html
Well, 600USD for EIII keyboard is great deal even if it's in "salvaged from the Titanic" condition ;-) Your EIII issue could be a quick fix or complex project. EIII is much more complex than newer all digital models (EIIIX, ESI, EIV, etc). It has a motherboard with edge connector sockets and 5 or 6 large PCBs with all electronics that plug into to mainboard. 1000 contacts, 1000 connectors, 1000 cables, 1000 ICs - all waiting to go bad ;-) Your EIII most likely have PSU issue. You should start by disassembly and quick troubleshooting like - disconnect HDD, disconnect mainboard, measure input and output voltages, diagnose and find out if PSU is not starting or cycling because of external short or some issue on PSU itself (check voltage adjustment trimmer). Originally in 1999. when you bought it and it failed, I doubt it was capacitor issue because sampler was too new then, but now after 20+ years in storage capacitors may be secondary issue as well. I wish you luck for an easy repair :-)

...or even better - give this EIII to me. It will free up space in your closet ;-)

Cheers!

S
Old 11th November 2020
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Breaks Dude's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'd just bead blast that enclosure and get rid of all the rust. If you know anyone decent with graphic design, see if you can have them recreate the front panel graphics and have it re-screened. I don't know how that process works exactly but people refinish these synths all the time (Synthspa).
Old 11th November 2020
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Breaks Dude's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'd just bead blast that enclosure and get rid of all the rust. If you know anyone decent with graphic design, see if you can have them recreate the front panel graphics and have it re-screened. I don't know how that process works exactly but people refinish these synths all the time (Synthspa).
Old 12th November 2020 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude ➡️
I'd just bead blast that enclosure and get rid of all the rust. If you know anyone decent with graphic design, see if you can have them recreate the front panel graphics and have it re-screened. I don't know how that process works exactly but people refinish these synths all the time (Synthspa).
Yes, that's exactly my plan. First I'll strip the paint and get rid of hard rust and then give it to pro to bead blast it and spray paint. I'll loose all writings on metal, but I don't care.
Front panel is actually a plastic sticker on metal with all graphics. I think it's hard to recreate and expensive to manufacture in small quantity (several layers and transparent where LEDs go...). The good thing is that the plastic did not rust. Rust is all around on front panel chassis. Tricky part is to treat rust and paint the front panel chassis without damage to plastic front sticker. Plastic part is scratched little bit but not so terrible as rest of case.

If there was a spare front panel somewhere, I would buy it right away.

Cheers!

S
Old 12th November 2020
  #12
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration

Update 2 - Minboard restoration, diagnosis and startup

Hello all,

In this part our goal is to power on the mainboard and see if it's alive.

First I cleaned the mainboard in detail. I use Kontakt-60, Kontakt-WL and isopropyl alcohol. I removed all socketed IC's, cleaned sockets and IC legs. Fortunately the motherboard turned out well after cleaning. No deep corrosion and serious PCB damage. I removed SCSI controller IC socket as it was heavily corroded. Also several sound RAM IC sockets are corroded but we'll deal with that later. Several of sound RAM bypass capacitors are burnt to the point PCB is well damaged.

Problem with mainboard is almost shorted +5V power supply rail - 24OHM. Although I immediately decided to replace all sound RAM bypass caps (44 pcs 470nf), but I decided to have some fun - connect mainboard to bench PSU and force shorted components to burn by applying current. After I burnt and removed 5-6 bypass caps situation stabilize and I got 130OHM resistance on +5V rail. Still too much, but OK.

I removed all sound RAM bypass caps, we'll deal with that later. Then I repopulated all IC's on the mainboard. Idea is to power ON the sampler with minimum of parts and IC's and see if onboard CPU has clock, communicate with ROM, RAM and LCD display.I quickly cleaned the front panel PCB, connected mainboard to bench PSU +5V with current limiter to 2A, I turned the bench PSU ON - and - it works! LCD shows welcome message and firmware version. That means onboard CPU has clock, communicate with ROM and RAM, reads firmware and write messages on LCD. Great - dear EIIIXP, welcome to afterlife! LCD shows error message "FATAL STARTUP ERROR, NO SCSI BUS TERMINATION". ...and that is exactly what it should report, because there is no SCSI terminator and actually there is no Zilog SCSI controller IC installed at this point. Picture on LCD is weak, few lines bad, tact switches dirt and unresponsive, but hey, we are making progress here! I can browse menus, mainboard shows 8M of free sample RAM!

So far so good :-)

Next step is to restore floppy and try to boot the OS 2.10.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more...

Stay safe and best regards,

Suad
Attached Thumbnails
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-40.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-41.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-42.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-43.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-44.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-45.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-46.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-47.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-48.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-49.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-50.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-51.jpg  

Last edited by scokljat; 13th November 2020 at 01:22 AM..
Old 12th November 2020
  #13
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
I have an EXIIIP I bought new in 94, which works fine as always. Last year I decided to upgrade it, doubling the memory to the maximum and adding analogue inputs. The analogue inputs did not work, but I think it's the chips I put in. It's an ADC and two DACs (I think these are to control the input gain). The ADC I got was the same spec as the schematic, but the DACs were a supposedly equivalent but not the exact chip. It didn't work, but now I sourced the correct DACs just have not had time to install.

The interesting thing is that after installing the chips and checking if it worked (it didn't), I tried removing them and the sampler wouldn't boot anymore. Put the chips back and all was good. Not sure what's the story with that.
Old 13th November 2020
  #14
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Nice.

I’ve got an IIIxp that had a few minor issues that I repaired (bypass caps etc)

I paired it with a Behringer 1RU ADC / DAC and it works fine for sampling etc.

Long term plan was to put SCSI2SD and a nicer display.. one day
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 ➡️
Nice.

I’ve got an IIIxp that had a few minor issues that I repaired (bypass caps etc)

I paired it with a Behringer 1RU ADC / DAC and it works fine for sampling etc.

Long term plan was to put SCSI2SD and a nicer display.. one day

Yours also had burnt bypass caps? Do you maybe have service manual PDF?

Cheers,

S
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
I have an EXIIIP I bought new in 94, which works fine as always. Last year I decided to upgrade it, doubling the memory to the maximum and adding analogue inputs. The analogue inputs did not work, but I think it's the chips I put in. It's an ADC and two DACs (I think these are to control the input gain). The ADC I got was the same spec as the schematic, but the DACs were a supposedly equivalent but not the exact chip. It didn't work, but now I sourced the correct DACs just have not had time to install.

The interesting thing is that after installing the chips and checking if it worked (it didn't), I tried removing them and the sampler wouldn't boot anymore. Put the chips back and all was good. Not sure what's the story with that.
Well, as I understand for now, EIIIX as well as EIII has some kind of flash memory to save system settings. Remember when you go to Master menu and change calibration or SCSI settings, sampler show "saving system" on LCD. This is not saved to HDD, it's saved to some kind of non-volatile memory because data is retained after power cycling. My guess is when you added ADC ICs, CPU wrote and changed some low level system configuration to flash memory and now when you remove ADC ICs system hangs on POST because something is missing... this is my guess.

BTW, do you maybe have service manual PDF?

Cheers!

S
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
  #17
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scokljat ➡️
Well, as I understand for now, EIIIX as well as EIII has some kind of flash memory to save system settings. Remember when you go to Master menu and change calibration or SCSI settings, sampler show "saving system" on LCD. This is not saved to HDD, it's saved to some kind of non-volatile memory because data is retained after power cycling. My guess is when you added ADC ICs, CPU wrote and changed some low level system configuration to flash memory and now when you remove ADC ICs system hangs on POST because something is missing... this is my guess.

BTW, do you maybe have service manual PDF?

Cheers!

S
The EIII service manual is available here, maybe it might help?

https://archive.org/details/e-mu_Emu...anual/mode/2up
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➡️
The EIII service manual is available here, maybe it might help?

https://archive.org/details/e-mu_Emu...anual/mode/2up
Emulator III (keyboard and rack) have nothing in common with Emulator IIIXP/XS. Difference between two is more like difference between diesel car engine and Tesla model 3 ;-) Both cars are used for the same purpose but totally different concept under the hood.

EIII has variable sample rate playback, analog filters and mixing. EIIIX is all digital DSP based, fixed sample rate, digital filters... Only part common to both is LCD display. Everything else is totally different.

I've found EIII service manual everywhere, but EIIIX nowhere.
Cheers!

S

Last edited by scokljat; 13th November 2020 at 10:02 PM..
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
  #19
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scokljat ➡️
Yours also had burnt bypass caps? Do you maybe have service manual PDF?

Cheers,

S
Let me check.
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
  #20
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 ➡️
Let me check.
Please, if you open the EIIIX, would you be so kind and measure resistance on +5V power rail? Just disconnect cable from PSU and measure GND to +5V. Or measure resistance across any bypass cap. Check picture. Thanks!!

Cheers!

S
Attached Thumbnails
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-resistance-check.jpg  
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 ➡️
Long term plan was to put SCSI2SD and a nicer display.. one day
I just installed blue OLED to my Emulator III keyboard (this is OT, sorry). It looks so good. I highly recommend! Easy to install. Same display goes to EIIIXP...

Cheers!

S
Attached Thumbnails
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-20201113_190658.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-20201113_213020.jpg  

Last edited by scokljat; 13th November 2020 at 10:25 PM..
Old 13th November 2020
  #22
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
BTW, did anyone notice this? (see picture) ;-)

Cheers!

S
Attached Thumbnails
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-eiii-abelton.jpg  
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Tomás Mulcahy's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by scokljat ➡️
After I burnt and removed 5-6 bypass caps situation stabilize and I got 130OHM resistance on +5V rail. Still too much, but OK... but hey, we are making progress here! I can browse menus, mainboard shows 8M of free sample RAM!
Wow! Just... wow! Nice work.
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
  #24
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomás Mulcahy ➡️
Wow! Just... wow! Nice work.
Thanks man! Stay tuned for more... This gem I'll repair, polish and use for music production again.

Cheers!

S
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Sadly it’s in storage right now and I don’t know when I’ll get to it.

200 ohm still sounds way to low FYI.

I’ll get back to you if I locate service docs



Quote:
Originally Posted by scokljat ➡️
Please, if you open the EIIIX, would you be so kind and measure resistance on +5V power rail? Just disconnect cable from PSU and measure GND to +5V. Or measure resistance across any bypass cap. Check picture. Thanks!!

Cheers!

S
Old 14th November 2020 | Show parent
  #26
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futureman84 ➡️
Sadly it’s in storage right now and I don’t know when I’ll get to it.

200 ohm still sounds way to low FYI.

I’ll get back to you if I locate service docs
Actually it's 130 ohm and it's working well on it's own (recapped) PSU (spoiler alert). I removed LCD EL inverter, still 130 ohm... I also say too low.

Cheers!

S
Old 14th November 2020
  #27
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration

Update 3 - Floppy restoration, booting OS from floppy

Hello all,

In this part our goal is to clean and restore floppy drive and boot OS 2.10 from floppy.

I disassembled the floppy and did detailed visual inspection of heads, PCB, head guides... all look dirty but good. I removed rust with white vinegar, cleaned mechanics, cleaned heads, removed old grease from head guides and apply new.

Then I cleaned power and data cables, connected the restored floppy to mainboard. Mainboard communicate with floppy correctly and it boot the operating system successfully from the first attempt! Great.

Next step is to restore hard drive, install new SCSI IC socket, try to boot OS and load samples.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more...

Stay safe and best regards,

Suad
Attached Thumbnails
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-52.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-53.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-54.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-55.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-56.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-57.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-58.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-59.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-60.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-61.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-62.jpg  
Old 18th November 2020
  #28
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration

Update 4 - HDD restoration, booting OS from HDD.

Hello all,

In this part our goal is to restore and repair HDD and boot OS 2.10 fro HDD.

Well, this I do just for fun. HDD is so damaged and corroded, I really do no big bet this would succeed. I have several HDD same year in my samplers, most of it failed in clean smoking free environment. This HDD is like from Chernobyl.

I disassembled the HDD, cleaned body with wire brush, cleaned PCB and repaired few shorted IC's. Terminator resistor net was damaged by moisture. I diagnosed and bypassed one 110R resistor.

Connected the refurbished HDD to my E4X - and it worked OK, all banks load correctly! Wow!

Than I cleaned EIIIXP mainboard, corrosion around SCSI IC, installed new 40 pin socket, cleaned and re-installed awfully corroded Zilog SCSI CI.

Turned On the sampler - and it booted OS 2.10 from HDD! Loaded banks from HDD! Sonic Arts!

OK. But HDD had some issues with motor bearings. ...and after few days of operation HDD start to show some issues. I reformatted the drive and left it aside. I installed "new" Seagate 1GB SCSI HDD for testing.

Finally, if all goes well, I'll install SCSI2SD.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more...

Stay safe and best regards,

Suad
Attached Thumbnails
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-63.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-64.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-65.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-66.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-67.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-68.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-69.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-70.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-71.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-72.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-73.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-74.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-75.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-76.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-77.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-78.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-79.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-80.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-81.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-82.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-83.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-84.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-85.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-86.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-87.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-88.jpg  
Old 22nd November 2020
  #29
Gear Head
 
scokljat's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration

Update 5 - PSU restoration/recap.

Hello all,

In this part our goal is to restore/recap the PSU and test the mainboard on it's own power supply.

Up to this point I was using bench PSU for testing the mainboard and parts. Original PSU actually looks OK. No water damage, mold or corrosion. Capacitors have leaked, electrolyte is all over the PCB, there is some damage to PCB traces and few corroded solder spots. Nothing serious as I've seen worse on early 90ties retro computers (Amigas, Macs...).

So, I desoldered all caps and cleaned the mess. I was not too picky on new caps and I used LOW ESR caps I had on stock. Panasonic, Samwha, Yageo. Funny thing is that on ESR tester almost all of old caps tested OK with correct capacitance and low ESR. Two caps were bad.

I fixed few corroded solder joints, installed new fuses. Then I cleaned and tested power switch and AC filter.

Connected it all together and - it works OK! Mainboard boots OS, loads samples from HDD, +5V +12V -12V voltages are stable.

BTW, funny thing that almost ended in disaster - I wasn't careful enough and on first try I connected PSU cable in reverse!! That means mainboard got +12V and -12V instead of +5V! Booom?! Well, I was fortunate PSU entered protection mode and cycled, clicked trying to start until I realized what I've done. Fortunately, no damage was done. It would be a shame to destroy the motherboard after all the effort I put into this project. I reversed DC connector and all worked OK from the first try.


Next step is to restore DAC audio board and finally try to produce some sound from the sampler.


That's all for now. Stay tuned for more...

Stay safe and best regards,

Suad
Attached Thumbnails
Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-89.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-90.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-91.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-92.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-93.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-94.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-95.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-96.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-97.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-98.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-99.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-100.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-101.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-102.jpg   Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-103.jpg  

Emu Emulator EIIIXP - impossible restoration-104.jpg  
Old 22nd November 2020 | Show parent
  #30
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scokljat ➡️
Update 5 - PSU restoration/recap.

Hello all,

In this part our goal is to restore/recap the PSU and test the mainboard on it's own power supply.

Up to this point I was using bench PSU for testing the mainboard and parts. Original PSU actually looks OK. No water damage, mold or corrosion. Capacitors have leaked, electrolyte is all over the PCB, there is some damage to PCB traces and few corroded solder spots. Nothing serious as I've seen worse on early 90ties retro computers (Amigas, Macs...).

So, I desoldered all caps and cleaned the mess. I was not too picky on new caps and I used LOW ESR caps I had on stock. Panasonic, Samwha, Yageo. Funny thing is that on ESR tester almost all of old caps tested OK with correct capacitance and low ESR. Two caps were bad.

I fixed few corroded solder joints, installed new fuses. Then I cleaned and tested power switch and AC filter.

Connected it all together and - it works OK! Mainboard boots OS, loads samples from HDD, +5V +12V -12V voltages are stable.

BTW, funny thing that almost ended in disaster - I wasn't careful enough and on first try I connected PSU cable in reverse!! That means mainboard got +12V and -12V instead of +5V! Booom?! Well, I was fortunate PSU entered protection mode and cycled, clicked trying to start until I realized what I've done. Fortunately, no damage was done. It would be a shame to destroy the motherboard after all the effort I put into this project. I reversed DC connector and all worked OK from the first try.


Next step is to restore DAC audio board and finally try to produce some sound from the sampler.


That's all for now. Stay tuned for more...

Stay safe and best regards,

Suad
nice job. When I opened mine, I noticed the PSU is an off-the-shelf skynet unit. Very similar to the morpheus actually, which I replaced because it burned out.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 199 views: 37501
Avatar for wavejockey
wavejockey 30th October 2018
replies: 1752 views: 228329
Avatar for Harukiya
Harukiya 15 minutes ago
replies: 17 views: 1893
Avatar for Hollowman9
Hollowman9 1 day ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump