The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roli Equator2
Old 19th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

It appears to be an updated version of Lumi Keys with both polyphonic aftertouch and per-key pitch bend.

The new Block 2.0 functionality looks interesting to me but I have mixed feelings about yet another version of the Lumi keyboard. I have two of the Kickstarter versions and the magnetic snap together functionality and charging is a little fiddly in my experience. Every time I see one of these Marco Parisi videos though, I can't help but place an order.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillionbird View Post
It appears to be an updated version of Lumi Keys with both polyphonic aftertouch and per-key pitch bend.

I didn't see it having Y axis / key slide. Too bad if that's missing.
Lives for gear

One thing I've noticed in vids with the KS Lumi - when it's in the mode where the keys are colored by default, but turn white as you play them... when filmed from overhead, it's so easy to see what the presenter is playing. I don't think I've ever seen a clearer instructional setup than Lumi. It makes exactly what keys you press, and for how long, very clear, combined with showing hand position and fingerings all in one frame.

Once people start to realize this, I think it will become an essential tool for online piano lessons, where the instructor's "key feel" isn't as crucial as getting the information across as clearly as possible. They'll still need piano keys and a different camera angle for some technique lessons, but 3 Lumis slapped together would make an awesome song-teaching tool.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Even though some of the choices the company has made (a pc app that was always on, couldn't be disabled and popped up "news" ) and the prices are off-putting, the core product (rise) is very inspiring to play.

But this actually looks like it captures the best bits, for me:
  1. The poly after touch (their demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ-1SqPcnFk ) where you can bring out certain notes within an evolving pad progression. Beautiful.
  2. Per note vibrato where you control the shape, intensity and speed of the vibration with your fingers naturally like on a guitar or cello.

Putting that on a more normal keyboard and losing the 4octave pitch bends and the Y-axis slide is a ok trade-off, for me. Lit-up keys thing can hopefully be turned off, though.

Still bit expensive but what better poly-after touch options are there at that price?
Here for the gear

It seems these features will be available to all Lumis (including the Kickstarter version) via a software update? Per Music Radar article:

"The MPE features will be available to everyone via a free firmware update that will be released in January."
Old 19th November 2020
Lives for gear

I haven't noticed that firmware update... maybe the lumi will come off the shelf then ... thanks
Old 20th November 2020
Lives for gear

Some new sounds I created.

Old 20th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Since it's difficult to get an overview of the range of sounds Equator2 is capable of, I thought that maybe I will post some audio demos here for the benefit of interested users. All demos below show the factory content.

Equator2 is a whole new instrument, much removed from Equator1. The new wavetable and granular synthesis engines are top notch, and there are a few twists here or there, like for example dynamic modulation of samples in the granular engine, where it is possible to almost wave-sequence a bunch of samples. Listen to the second demo below to hear it.

There is also a whole new sample library from detailed acoustic samples to a huge collection of vintage analogue samples. Stuff like Arp Solina, VP-330, System-100, OBXa, Super Jupiter, Juno-6, MS20, Mini700, etc. And there's more to come... This is a huge list of sounds that can be so easily mixed in those 6 oscillators for some truly huge sounds.

Anyway, below is a selection of demos, showing some deep sounds, from granular to wavetable to analogue and hybrid. Give this a listen. Equator2 introduces a new sonic quality that ins't available in Equator1, or Cypher2, and in some cases matches Omnisphere for the cinematic depth of sound.

Somebody said earlier that there aren't any Dulcimers in Equator2, well, here is a preset that uses one of the new Dulcimer samples, however, it is layered with a new Santoor sample. There is also a granular dulcimer layer plus granular pads carefully layered as not to be obstructive:

Here is a granular sound that uses the new granular engine to the full. As you listen to this, keep in mind that this is only ONE oscillator. The depth of sound, the complexity and all the changes are made with this new real-time sample modulation, where a mod source is triggering lots of samples (of your choosing).
This is one for film movie scoring musos:

Here is a deep cinematic preset that layers an acoustic piano, granular samples, pads, for this very deep, moody, but yet understated sound. Great for slow, cinematic passages:

Something for fans of analogue sounds. Here is a preset that layers several vintage synths for this huge, dynamic pad. Synths layered: Roland Juno-6, Oberheim OBXa, Arp Solina, Roland SH-2, and the Roland Super Jupiter:

Speaking of analogue samples, here is a short track made with raw Juno-6 samples. Just a small selection of the available samples (there are 16 or so Juno-6 samples including various raw oscillators). So warm, no processing:

From all this analogue warmth (I will post more analogue demos later, since there is soooo much analogue content in Equator2), to some more contemporary sounds that use the new Wavetable engine. From vocoded vocal sounds, aggressive basses, harmonic pads, and plucks, this is just a tiny selection of some presets that use the wavetable engine:

Something more soothing now. A hybrid 'pluck' that uses wavetable, granular and VA sound sources. So organic!

And something even more soothing and peaceful. This is one of the MPE presets. This preset uses all 6 sound sources. One preset, but such depth of sound. Played live on a Seaboard RISE 49:

Hope you enjoy the demos. Cheers.

Last edited by himalaya; 20th November 2020 at 04:45 PM..
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Himalaya, are those great presets in the factory library?
Old 20th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, all from the factory library. I'm demoing my presets here, but I will also demo some amazing presets from other sound designers too. The Juno-6 demo actually doesn't use any presets, these are raw samples. This is just to show how easy it is to make some music even by selecting the untreated analogue samples.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaya View Post
Since it's difficult to get an overview of the range of sounds Equator2 is capable of, I thought that maybe I will post some audio demos here for the benefit of interested users. All demos below show the factory content.
These are beautiful! Nice work, thank you. Yes, definitely getting the upgrade .
Lives for gear

Has anyone tried this or v1 with a Continuum? It's a bit different implementation from Rise, so I'm wondering how well they work together, if anyone here has tried.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yes, all from the factory library. I'm demoing my presets here, but I will also demo some amazing presets from other sound designers too. The Juno-6 demo actually doesn't use any presets, these are raw samples. This is just to show how easy it is to make some music even by selecting the untreated analogue samples.
Already updated. Looking forward to enjoy the new possibilities. Just using up to six sounds and with the programmed modulation + Seaboard real time control makes me dream. But it’s hard work, too. I hope we get good inspiring examples of what Equator can do. (Himalaya already did)
Old 23rd November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi again,
A few more demos.

In the demo below you can hear a few expressive MPE presets. These are hybrid woodwinds, reeds, a wavetable viola, and a hybrid trumpet/trombone. These are played on the Seaboard RISE, where the continuous-pressure (PRESS) is the fundamental expressive dimension. Each sound relies on it. These sounds would not be playable on a normal midi keyboard. The first sound has a kind of ethnic vibe about it. These are the type of MPE sounds I like to play the most. Pure noodle-fest! :D

But, if you are not into such delicate sounds, and have an appetite for something more aggressive then check this out. This is a 3-wavetable bass preset taken through all its expressive dimensions. This is also an MPE preset where I am using SLIDE, PRESS, GLIDE, and the 5 macros. One preset but so much sonic variety! Beat courtesy of Tremor.

This demo has some very special preset made by Yuli Yolo, one of the sound designers who made presets for Equator2. These presets are truly special. All have a percussive tone, without using any percussive samples! So deep and playable. Perfect for game music scoring:

Lastly, another demo for fans of analogue sounds. Equator2 makes it so easy to layer up to 6 samples, and these presets do just that. These are what I call 'Fantasy Analog Poly Synths', in that they have a deep analog sound, but do not try to mimic any particular vintage synth. Notice the depth and the organic nature of these. Perfect for Synthwave or Synth Pop:

Enjoy. There is so much sonic range here.

Last edited by himalaya; 23rd November 2020 at 11:59 PM..
Here for the gear

I'm enjoying these demos...thanks!
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
My kickstarter LUMI keys is falling apart. Most of the “black” keys are missing plastic bits and a lot of the tops have come off. Every time I use it now, a small part falls off. I’m almost ready to just throw it in the trash. It’s a crazy POS.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Enjoy. There is so much sonic range here.
I sat down to do this tonight, and it hasn't installed the library. ROli Connect thinks they're all installed, but they're not. Tech support warns of serious delays with support... :( Anyone know how to resolve this issue?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomás Mulcahy View Post
I sat down to do this tonight, and it hasn't installed the library. ROli Connect thinks they're all installed, but they're not. Tech support warns of serious delays with support... :( Anyone know how to resolve this issue?
The library is a separate install. Click the program install on Connect to find it. I had the same hiccup.
Old 24th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Roli will handle this issue under a warranty repair. Just register a ticket here and send photos of the issue.
https://support.roli.com/support/tickets/new
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad View Post
The library is a separate install. Click the program install on Connect to find it. I had the same hiccup.
Thanks! In the Apps tab my only option for Equator 2 there is "Uninstall". In the "Sounds" tab it says "All sounds installed" :/

Last edited by Tomás Mulcahy; 24th November 2020 at 10:56 AM..
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomás Mulcahy View Post
Thanks! In the Apps tab my only option for Equator 2 there is "Uninstall". In the "Sounds" tab it says "All sounds installed" :/
Click on the Equator2 name in Connect and it should reveal a submenu with the option to install the library. I missed it as well when I first installed.
Old 24th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Go to this Support page for install info

https://support.roli.com/support/sol...es/36000255937
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameTop View Post
Click on the Equator2 name in Connect and it should reveal a submenu with the option to install the library. I missed it as well when I first installed.
Ah click on the NAME. OK cool, thanks that's it!

Roli are sorting this out, they've had lots of feedback apparently

Last edited by Tomás Mulcahy; 24th November 2020 at 01:40 PM..
Old 27th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Here are some more Equator 2 presets demoed by the aforementioned Marco Parisi...my favorite.

Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Some new sounds I created.

How do you like it, compared to something like the Essence FM?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofutur View Post
How do you like it, compared to something like the Essence FM?
I'm liking it very much. It is quickly becoming my favorite plug. It doesn't compare at all to EssemceFM. Apples and oranges on opposite edges of the universe
Here for the gear

Any Saxophone or Trumpet sounds we could hear?
Are there any on Equator 2?

Thanks!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by liothomas View Post
Any Saxophone or Trumpet sounds we could hear?
Are there any on Equator 2?

Thanks!
There's bassoon, clarinet, flute, oboe, trombone, tuba and trumpet(s). No sax samples.

I'm in the middle of another project right now. I may be able to accommodate afterwards.
Gear Nut
Quote:
I'm liking it very much. It is quickly becoming my favorite plug. It doesn't compare at all to EssemceFM. Apples and oranges on opposite edges of the universe
Thanks. Very different synths indeed, but I was curious because you mentioned that you really enjoyed working with the Essence FM and I wanted to know if you were having as much fun with Equator 2. Seems like you are
M32
Lives for gear

Finally had the time to try out.

I quite like it, seems they've changed the UI slightly, making it a bit more workeable. I used to find it really annoying to program. While they haven't changed much, they seem to have simplified and finetuned out those things.

The effects still have a very characteristic sheen i'm not overly fond off, and most presets are overly layered and drained in FX.

The preset browsing system is still a bit cumbersome, and i wish they had a set of basic ones as starting points. Guess i'll have to make my own.

A lot of synth samples have been added in the new version, which is nice, but not really what i was looking for. I was hoping for more acoustic samples, but there's not that many. I haven't tried to use my own samples yet.

But overall a very positive experience, plenty of flexibility.

I am a bit pissed off and worried about the call-home subroutine. I was not informed about it before buying, and it feels like a potential rip-off.
If i buy something i want to be able to use it indefinitely.
Asking to pay for a new version is one thing, but this is not okay. I wonder why they are doing this.
📝 Reply