The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
November 2020 New Gear Thread
Old 1st November 2020
Lives for gear

November 2020 New Gear Thread

it's autumn and the consoles are falling from the trees. That's why I got a swissmade audio precision 12 channel for free.

it is nicely finished inside, without vca! simple construction with gold-plated sockets and japanese faders. but will replace the faders with stepped attentuators, which have much less compression.

Old 1st November 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
I got a swissmade audio precision 12 channel for free.
you jammy bassa
Old 1st November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmer View Post
you jammy bassa
say it right

by the way, i couldn't find out anything about this company .. if anyone knows anything ..
it can be clearly seen that the mixer was made entirely by hand. the step switch ( elma swissmade ) at the entrance is wired but not connected to anything. was probably a more modular structure according to customer requirements ..

Old 1st November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Gas struck again, few days until delivery of novation afx station.

Also got an offer for a Allen & heath zed24 for €150.
Beeen contemplating to use this to make a 5 channel 909 kick with looping it to the next channel (x5). Sadly it jas no direct outs so have to trick it with inserts.

Anybody got some experience with the zed series sweepable mid eq? Does it sound any good?
Old 1st November 2020
Lives for gear

just arrived.
absolutely fantastic machine.
took me a while to catch it for decent price.

November 2020 New Gear Thread-img_20201101_164326831_9x.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
November 2020 New Gear Thread-img_20201101_164326831_9x.jpg  
Old 2nd November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Got this (yes it's the analog version, from '93)

And then plugged Prophet 08 into it - this thing makes it sound LUSH af
Old 2nd November 2020
Old 2nd November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Congrats! I’ve lusted after one of those since they were announced. The keybed and construction is tight. My fear is the need to fill it up and what follows after that. I know that need from having 500 series module racks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage View Post
Congrats! I’ve lusted after one of those since they were announced. The keybed and construction is tight. My fear is the need to fill it up . . .
Thanks! It's really a nicely built piece of kit. And, they're dirt-cheap from Thomann's UK now. Only $596USD plus about $70 for shipping to the US. Totally worth the money for the quality of the unit and the thought that went behind its design. I know, it's a dangerous thing to buy, but was happy to get one far under the US MAP of $1,000!

I was just afraid Waldorf was blowing them out because they were planning to discontinue them (I don't know if they are or not). It's a unique piece of gear that's unusually well-crafted with a very specific focus, which I'm sure hasn't sold in huge numbers (so kind of a prime-candidate for EOL'ing). Anyway, it's very nice and I highly recommend it!

The weird thing about modular. Ever since catching the bug, I could care less what's happening on the main electronic forum anymore . . .
Old 2nd November 2020
Lives for gear

Sorry for cross posting and removing this from the october to the november thread, but I did actually buy this first of november, so it belongs here and helps me reduce the feeling of october madness and take the rest into november instead.

Sold my classic bassstation 2 and thought I would get the AFX version. However, I had to cancel that because I fell deeply in love with yet a Sovjet wonder: The Altair 231, the Sovjet answer to a minimoog. I went nuts over its look and its sound in the vids. THIS is my new basstation. Another midi mod'ed vintage synth in excellent condition from a trusted seller. This seller is even making a vid for me to show it all works. Ukraine again. Just like the Polivoks. Love ya over there. I am in wonderland. I have even fantasies about replacing my other synths with old Sovjet sht. There are more than a few out there. And they are fairly priced. Even underpriced considering their vintage status, imo. Unfortunately, costum fees make up for that to some extent, but still a gain.

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncarnateX View Post
I have even fantasies about replacing my other synths with old Sovjet sht. There are more than a few out there. And they are fairly priced. Even underpriced considering their vintage status, imo.
there's one problem with Soviet machines — they sound how they sound due to crappy Soviet components they're made of
those still can be found pretty easily here, but not in the rest of the world.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
there's one problem with Soviet machines — they sound how they sound due to crappy Soviet components they're made of
I have scanned eBay and by Odin's "Spear", Ukraine is an unexplored goldmine. I think I will start a Danish-Ukrainian Friendship/Trade organization of a sort. Have never enjoyed myself so much listening to YouTubes -of both the cream and the crap. Wonderful. I could swear, I have never been a vintage guy. Won't see me going for expensive reissues or a lot of B-clones. However, this, man...WOW, just friggin wow! For example, I have never heard a synth leaking, spitting, farting, rumbling, trembling, screaming, spouting, cutting or cluster-bombing like the Polivoks. Nostalgy, Cold War, utopias and eventually armageddon. My youth in a nutshell
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post

The oscillator board is based on the older version. However, the Russians were clever and used multi-turn potentiometers for the scaling controls. Result: Synth stays in tune better.
.. it's a shame the one wasn't built in cccp

Other than that, the synth seems to be very robust and easy to service - the real Mini schematics come for good help when comparing the component numbers etc. It sounds like a Mini!

funky lenin, Настровье

Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry for cross posting and removing this from the october to the november thread, but I did actually buy this first of november, so it belongs here and helps me reduce the feeling of october madness and take the rest into november instead.

Sold my classic bassstation 2 and thought I would get the AFX version. However, I had to cancel that because I fell deeply in love with yet a Sovjet wonder: The Altair 231, the Sovjet answer to a minimoog. I went nuts over its look and its sound in the vids. THIS is my new basstation. Another midi mod'ed Vintage synth in excellent condition from a trusted seller. This seller is even making a vid for me to show it all works. Ukraine again. Just like the Polivoks. Love ya over there. I am in wonderland. I have even fantasies about replacing my other synths with old Sovjet sht. There are more than a few out there. And they are fairly priced. Even underpriced considering their vintage status, imo. Unfortunately, costum fees make up for that to some extent, but still a gain.

By the way, that's a brazen 1:1 copy, copyright at cccp times were easy casual ..
the filter is built with opamps instead of transistors but the patent infringement is clearly visible
the passive components have the same values.

here is a nice look at the pcb

Old 2nd November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I just got this Electro Harmonix Platform compressor pedal for my drum machine(s), and these LP Sambago bells...

Lives for gear

Quote:
[funky lenin, Настровье

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P89Po78m2iQ
Ha ha, yes I have checked out that monster too Not for me, though, at bit too large and ugly.

However, the Altair 231 can do things that minimoog cannot, e.g. sing as if it has a formant filter, though it is really an osc-sync trick.

The youtube video is blocked when linked, but make a search on "Amazing singing Altair 231", it is really cool
Old 2nd November 2020
Lives for gear

I'm naming this one - You shall be called "Chrissy", in honour of your Father, may he rest in peace.
Attached Thumbnails
November 2020 New Gear Thread-efe997a4-56af-48e3-ac72-05d5a790d280.jpg  
Old 2nd November 2020
Gear Addict

First big purchase for a while...

...went filthy
Old 2nd November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
got myself some german engineering modified by a german engineer

2x siemens V270 racked

thx to velvet audio for his racking/modding service
Attached Thumbnails
November 2020 New Gear Thread-ig-v270.png  
Old 2nd November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
bought some pedals in october but arrived nov so....TC Nova delay, a zvex wooly mamoth and an analouge soloutions Mr Hyde filter
Old 3rd November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

The seller sent me a video to show it all works. WOW! As far the moogs, the boogs, the moogs versus boogs, heroes versus exploiters concern: Go f(bleep!) yourself with a chainsaw.

T'IZ IZ DA ZING! Derived from old school industry spionage and highly radioactive components. You are sooo NUKED, western amateurs!
Old 3rd November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
i bloody love it
its how a synth should look, big and built like a shick brithouse
out of interest pop it on your bathroom scales and report please
Old 3rd November 2020
Gear Head
She arrives next weekend. It's going to be an interesting month.
Attached Thumbnails
November 2020 New Gear Thread-_mg_2931.jpg   November 2020 New Gear Thread-_mg_2935-1-.jpg   November 2020 New Gear Thread-_mg_2936-1-.jpg  
Old 4th November 2020
Lives for gear

Sold my Matrixbrute yesterday.

Bought a Fantom 7 today.
Old 4th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
Sold my Matrixbrute yesterday.

Bought a Fantom 7 today.
the matrixbrute, lately I could have bought one for 1k, but already have 2 minibrute and a minibrute 2s, but the synth is forever luring
why did you sell yours ?
Old 4th November 2020
Lives for gear
Roland A-800PRO and power supply, £269(free delivery) from GAK

Old 4th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
the matrixbrute, lately I could have bought one for 1k, but already have 2 minibrute and a minibrute 2s, but the synth is forever luring
why did you sell yours ?
Whoa, $1k would have been an incredible deal!

I sold mine because I intended to replace it with a PolyBrute. Then I had a small epiphany today that the Fantom would cover more bases, would be "good enough" on poly synth duties, and would replace both the PolyBrute and the Integra-7 I also intended to buy. Also, the Fantom was used and I further negotiated the price downwards so that I ended up paying less for it than the PolyBrute by itself. So that saved a lot of money in the long-run.

Now I just hope I like it!!
Old 5th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Elektron Model:Cycles

Old 5th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
Whoa, $1k would have been an incredible deal!

I sold mine because I intended to replace it with a PolyBrute. Then I had a small epiphany today that the Fantom would cover more bases, would be "good enough" on poly synth duties, and would replace both the PolyBrute and the Integra-7 I also intended to buy. Also, the Fantom was used and I further negotiated the price downwards so that I ended up paying less for it than the PolyBrute by itself. So that saved a lot of money in the long-run.

Now I just hope I like it!!
yes the price wasn't bad, but i stood firm. I'm about the snotty thing about the minibrute, the successors are too grown up

wish you the best of luck and don't let the rather restricted polybrute blind you ..
Old 5th November 2020
Lives for gear
Happpy nerding FM Aid to make better bass.
📝 Reply