The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
No more HW-Synths for me, until something revolutionary shows up
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

No more HW-Synths for me, until something revolutionary shows up

Hi,

I have enough synths to make music, offering me lots of sonic flavors, both digital, and analog, plus lots of VST-Synths.

So I'm all set, don't need to buy anything new at this time. The exception will be when I hear a new revolutionary Synth, or let's say Electronic Instrument that I will not be able to resist, and must have it. .. whatever it is.

So far that has not happened, and I don't think it's going to happen for a while.

Your thoughts ?

By the way... it feels great not having any GAS to buy more HW Synths.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
I’m getting a Polybrute, & when released a BBG, but yeah, I have a couple of slightly older synths I’d like to try out (P12, A4) and that’s it.

I have a good representation of pretty much every type of synthesis process, and it’s a fantastic place to be in.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3
Yul
Lives for gear
 

I dont own any boards right now except 2 Kawai K4 racks via my PC.

Everytime I look at anything hardware there are either too many overlapd, similarities or conflictual choices between models it gets complicated!
Old 4 weeks ago
  #4
Gear Head
My little house is full of synths, no room for more.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
Pythonis Rogue's Avatar
You will now create inferior music.

Old 4 weeks ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
kwaping's Avatar
Congrats, I reached the no-more-GAS phase with my guitar rig and it feels wonderful!

My very serious advice is to leave this forum (and any other gear forums that you're on) and never ever come back. You will be happy with what you have til the end of your days.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
Congrats, I reached the no-more-GAS phase with my guitar rig and it feels wonderful!

My very serious advice is to leave this forum (and any other gear forums that you're on) and never ever come back. You will be happy with what you have til the end of your days.
I still enjoy reading forum posts, and see what people are up to these days, what's the big synth buzz about, ..etc.

But, I'm 100% convinced I don't need more gear, unless it is something truly revolutionary. I did my share of shopping for gear, I'm all set to be creative, and enjoy using these wonderful instruments.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #8
Lives for gear
 

I don't expect them to be "truly revolutionary " ... but I am waiting hopefully on a Motor Synth and an Osmose next year (?)... definitely neither a new/re-working of an analogue mono/poly-synth...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #9
Gear Addict
 
Lazerbrains's Avatar
 

I did think the new Polybrute trick of morphing (not crossfading buy actually morphing) between two patches is pretty revolutionary - in over 30 years of working in synthesis I've never seen anything quite like that. Revolutionary? IDK, but it certainly caught my attention and is a sound I have never heard a synthesizer do.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Sebastian N's Avatar
 

this is what i don't get really. everyone is gaga over the morphing feature but i remember there was an ipad app for snth editing (had maps for a lot of hw synths) where you could have different patches in different corners and move this thing around and morph between the patch values. sure, you couldn't modulate it like on the polybrute, unless you moved your finger around, and i'm sure it had some limitations (the pb also has some regarding this) but it was in real time, unlike the modx version which generates new patches based on previously selected ones. i'll give the pb credit for an "elegant" and expressive solution for it, but it's nothing groundbraking. cool for sure though
Old 4 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
For me something revolutionary would be a good old poly synth, analogue oscillators (plus a sampler), all through-hole, nice filter(s), analogue envelopes, basic MIDI.

Currently new synths kind of make me think of an analogy if guitar producers were making guitars with touchscreens instead of strings and a DSP to simulate the sound of a real guitar.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 
gentleclockdivid's Avatar
 

Imho the most revolutionary stuff came out in the nineties , nowadays not so much , except in software land .
Old 4 weeks ago
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Beermaster's Avatar
 

Bit of an irrelevant post OP unless you list what you have and use and also what type of music you create.

What analogue synths do you have and use ? Mono and poly ?

Which digital synths ?

Which plug-ins?

What type o music do you make and what experience do you have making music ?

Stating that you don’t need something is a bit weird and I have to say, psychologically points to you actually questioning this statement ?

Chips on the table: Where you at ? Where you wanna be ?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #14
I have 11 synths, 10 are analog. I'm holding out for a new Oberheim, if one happens.

Until then I am more interested in analog effects and also 500 series at the moment.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
lost_the_peace's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
Hi,

I have enough synths to make music, offering me lots of sonic flavors, both digital, and analog, plus lots of VST-Synths.

So I'm all set, don't need to buy anything new at this time. The exception will be when I hear a new revolutionary Synth, or let's say Electronic Instrument that I will not be able to resist, and must have it. .. whatever it is.

So far that has not happened, and I don't think it's going to happen for a while.

Your thoughts ?

By the way... it feels great not having any GAS to buy more HW Synths.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
irrelevant without a) a list of gear and b) gear pr0n shots

It's kinda nice if you have 1-3 synths but hollow if you own 1090480746
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
lost_the_peace's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermaster View Post
Stating that you don’t need something is a bit weird and I have to say, psychologically points to you actually questioning this statement ?
Ha, yeah

*Logs onto synthesizer forum to tell them how I don't need synths* <--- totally not a red flag!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
this is what i don't get really. everyone is gaga over the morphing feature but i remember there was an ipad app for snth editing (had maps for a lot of hw synths) where you could have different patches in different corners and move this thing around and morph between the patch values. sure, you couldn't modulate it like on the polybrute, unless you moved your finger around, and i'm sure it had some limitations (the pb also has some regarding this) but it was in real time, unlike the modx version which generates new patches based on previously selected ones. i'll give the pb credit for an "elegant" and expressive solution for it, but it's nothing groundbraking. cool for sure though
Patch Morpher. I use it with Blofeld and the results are usually epic (occasionally you get clicks when morphing among sounds with radically different envelope settings). Available only if you bought it before it was discontinued AND you have an older iPad. Sadly, the developer told me he'll probably never update it to use on today's iPads. It really is very cool.

Go to 1:16 to see/hear it in action. Imagine doing that with 24 patches. Sounds rich and seductive.

Old 4 weeks ago
  #18
Osmose could be revolutionary, if Expressive E can pull it off.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
The exception will be when I hear a new revolutionary Synth, or let's say Electronic Instrument that I will not be able to resist, and must have it. .. whatever it is.

So far that has not happened, and I don't think it's going to happen for a while.

Your thoughts ?
TL;DR - < I like your thread title, but you should know that all it takes is one lousy little comma, to turn "No more hardware synths for me!" into "No, more hardware synths for me!">

You sure you still want my thoughts? Okaaaay....
I need to imgur a couple photos so I can post in the New Gear thread. A few days ago, I finally got my Haken Continuum that I've been flirting with for years. They just came out with a new design. It's ****ing awesome! I haven't had the chance to play it since yesterday morning, until tomorrow afternoon. Grrr. Already, though, in less than 2 days, I got about 7-8 hours in. So, this mini-break is actually okay - my fingers got a workout!

So, there won't be any other big new gear purchases for a while. That thing's expensive. Unless it's something really special that works with the Continuum, lol.

I want a Wavestate. OMG, you probably won't believe this, but when I just wrote "I want a", my phone actually autofilled "Wavestate" for me, and that's what I was gonna write. I didn't even type the W yet. I'm not joking. Even my phone's reminding me.

I also want a PolyBrute. Phew, I made it to "Polyb" before the phone figured it out. If the PB could do MPE, and let me morph per note via the Continuum's y-axis, then I wouldn't be able to resist, eventually. I don't know if the PolyBrute hardware is capable of that.

I could use something to jam out a rhythm track to play the Continuum over. Pulsar-23 might be too weird. I've been on the fence about Gotharman LD3 (and now Spazedrum) for a couple years. I could just do that with the Kronos and Volca Drum, and the RD-8 I already have. Those are all way different, though. Anyway, now I'm thinking I might get an AFX Station for that purpose. Might seem like a weird choice, but it's inexpensive (unlike the others) and I can already see how I'd use it. The thing is, the way I do things, I'd get totally different sounding rhythms with each instrument. But I don't have money and time for all of them, so it's sort of a roll of the dice.

An Osmose would be nice, to play expressive but fast chord riffs using the same patch, while the Continuum's x-axis stays un-rounded (they use the same synth engine).

Aaanyway... I guess my standards for revolutionary are pretty low... since I include things like Osmose, Wavestate, PolyBrute, or Gotharman and Soma gear.

But, I think, even revolutionarier than all those combined is the Continuum. It was the steamroller that paved the road to MPE. It's still being developed. The one I got is its latest iteration, just being released into the wild. So far, I enjoy it much more than Roli, but I can't comment on the other MPE devices (haven't tried). It's nice to have a synth engine that's integrated so well with the playing surface, i.e. an instrument. It can be a controller, too, which is also nice, since it doesn't do sampler stuff.

So, unless you prefer to program your music instead of playing it in, you have to at least try a good MPE synth (or controller and appropriately matched synth) before you say "no more hardware synths". Even if you usually program things in, you might like playing automation by hand on a smaller MPE-type surface, or a Touche, or a PolyBrute Morphee.

To me, the revolutionary stuff isn't in synthesis methods, but with tools to help us interact with and expand the usefulness of the existing synthesis methods - new ways to make music, instead of new ways to synthesize sounds. That's just my perspective, though, what I've noticed. OTOH, how well are you set up for granular or spectral synthesis, convolution, morphing, resynthesis, through zero FM, yadda yadda?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I have a good representation of pretty much every type of synthesis process, and it’s a fantastic place to be in.
Jealous. I enjoy getting synths and samplers mainly for getting the most out of their architecture. And making something musical with it, of course.

For me, the A4 and the VSynth (GT preferably) are the only two left on the list. Though I wouldn't complain if someone left a Matriarch in my room while I was gone. The synth, I mean ... not an actual matriarch. Unless it's my mom. I mean I could always sample her singing or clapping and make a groove out of that.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #21
Lives for gear
 
muziksculp's Avatar
 

Hi,

Interesting thoughts/replies from fellow forum members.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
Old 4 weeks ago
  #22
Lives for gear
 

MPE synths/controllers are the new GAS chamber of choice. Line on up.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudinthenight View Post
Osmose could be revolutionary, if Expressive E can pull it off.
or one could find a "revolutionary" application for any one of their existing synths
Old 4 weeks ago
  #24
Lives for gear
 
soundebler's Avatar
Hold for now , but ain't got a full house yet
Old 4 weeks ago
  #25
Gear Nut
Hi absolutely the same for me, except I yielded to the ASM Hydra module. IMO the best balance of innovation, sound and price around right now. I am using this and my behringer analogs exclusively for the foreseeable future (and minimal vst’s - a bit of Maschine, Dune and Serum maybe).
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
Jealous. I enjoy getting synths and samplers mainly for getting the most out of their architecture. And making something musical with it, of course.

For me, the A4 and the VSynth (GT preferably) are the only two left on the list. Though I wouldn't complain if someone left a Matriarch in my room while I was gone. The synth, I mean ... not an actual matriarch. Unless it's my mom. I mean I could always sample her singing or clapping and make a groove out of that.
I’ve got to say, that it hasn’t been very fun at times. In the beginning I was just buying interesting synths listed on “Sealed’s Deep Synthesis” to try out and discover. But along the way, 2 things happened.

1. I was running out of Unique synthesis engines to try, so there was less web research I could do, I always loved doing web research on things I didn’t have or know about. I have a couple of very odd Casio synths even...TBH the only things left are either very expensive or very rare.

2. I was getting a bit unwell & focussing on competing in the “who has the most synths” p*ssing match on the Internet. A game I couldn’t ever possibly win.

But there have been plenty of positive, jaw dropping moments along the way. I think the last one I had was messing around with the DSS1’s implementation of sync with samples. It sounds like nothing else in the world!

The demo of that sound is in this post:

Anyone 100% focused on modern sounds and not interested in revivals and clones?
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N View Post
this is what i don't get really. everyone is gaga over the morphing feature but i remember there was an ipad app for snth editing (had maps for a lot of hw synths) where you could have different patches in different corners and move this thing around and morph between the patch values. sure, you couldn't modulate it like on the polybrute, unless you moved your finger around, and i'm sure it had some limitations (the pb also has some regarding this) but it was in real time, unlike the modx version which generates new patches based on previously selected ones. i'll give the pb credit for an "elegant" and expressive solution for it, but it's nothing groundbraking. cool for sure though
Also Nord Lead 3 had a wonderful morphing feature. Very easy to use.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Sebastian N's Avatar
 

@ robotunes that's the app i meant. it's such a shame he didn't update it. is there anything similar to this? surely someone else thought it's a good idea
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
pppch's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerbrains View Post
I did think the new Polybrute trick of morphing (not crossfading buy actually morphing) between two patches is pretty revolutionary - in over 30 years of working in synthesis I've never seen anything quite like that. Revolutionary? IDK, but it certainly caught my attention and is a sound I have never heard a synthesizer do.
doesn't clavia have the same thing with the nord lead for 20 years?
it hasn't been touched for a long time, but back then the function was called morphing.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pppch View Post
doesn't clavia have the same thing with the nord lead for 20 years?
it hasn't been touched for a long time, but back then the function was called morphing.
exactly.
morphing on the Nord Lead 3 was really great!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 56 views: 7562
Avatar for AngelRho
AngelRho 1st October 2016
replies: 69 views: 15580
Avatar for lama
lama 23rd October 2016
replies: 1964 views: 100400
Avatar for pcs801
pcs801 5 hours ago
replies: 167 views: 8595
Avatar for _space
_space 4 weeks ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump