The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
No more HW-Synths for me, until something revolutionary shows up
Old 4 weeks ago
To each their own, but for me personally, I need something new in my studio to keep evolving my craft. If I stop adding new stuff, I just keep doing the same things and get bored fast. This is not good for my creativity. Of course, I don`t keep everything though. If I haven`t touched it in a few years, I sell it.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
@ zerocrossing ,

When I hear a revolutionary synth/instrument I will buy it, but it's not around at this time,

Feel free to delight me when you think it is available. I will check it out.
Round and Round it goes. .. ..

Muziksculp - Unless you qualify what you have, what you like about what you have and the type of music and sounds you like there is no point in this thread ? All you're saying is 'I Like What I Like '

We all like what we like...... but that's no reason to start a thread.

SO, tell us about the synths you do have and why you like them so we can all get a sense of the completeness of your equipment universe .
Lives for gear

So this is the thread where we post all of the new synths we think are revolutionary?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
I disagree with the OP. However, I'm curious, what would you consider to be the most recent revolutionary synth, and, did you buy it?
Hi,

What exactly do you disagree with my post ?

Well... I mentioned that I have enough HW-Synths to make music, they offer me a good variety of sounds, be it analog, virtual analog, FM, digital, pcm samples, ..etc. I simply stated that I have enough Instruments to make music, and don't find anything else on the market that I need at this time, the exception is when I hear a new synth/electronic instrument that is revolutionary, and I mean the sound it produces is so amazing, be it emulation of acoustic instruments, or synthetic but so beautiful sounding that I can't resist buying this instrument. This hasn't happened.

My last HW-Synth I purchased was not revolutionary, it just added another synth to my collection that had some cool features, it was the Dave Smith, Prophet REV2 (16 voice) Keyboard version. Awesome Synth. Is it Revolutionary ? No.

By the way, the new SW Synth released by NewFangled Audio, 'Generate', is very exciting to me, it creates very cool, and unique sounds, and operates via a new synthesis model utilizing chaos, effects, and modulation techniques to excite a Sine wave. I purchased it, and find it very unique, exciting to use, and very rewarding. I find some of the new SW-Synths more interesting than their HW-counterparts, so I have no issues buying them, since I don't need to allocate space for them, or add cables, or make sure I have enough Audio Inputs, ..etc.

I'm very happy with the collection of synths I have to work with (both HW and SW Synths), that's what matters to me now, and I'm being very productive, and focused on my music rather than the tools.

Cheers,
Muziksculp
Lives for gear

Quote:
By the way, the new SW Synth released by NewFangled Audio, 'Generate', is very exciting to me, it creates very cool, and unique sounds, and operates via a new synthesis model utilizing chaos, effects, and modulation techniques to excite a Sine wave.
It's just based on west coast style synthesis
Excite a sine wave is just sine wave shaping/ wavefolding , so typical to west coast synthesis
Great plug nonetheless but hardly anything new ,
The reaktor dwg blocks will get you there too
Lives for gear

Quote:
What exactly do you disagree with my post ?
"I have enough synths to make music"
I agree with the fact but disagree with the premise. You had enough synths to make music when you had just one synth. The fact is, you kept buying synths after the first. Ergo, making music is not the driving force behind the number of synths one owns.

"offering me lots of sonic flavors, both digital, and analog, plus lots of VST-Synths"
I somewhat agree. How many flavors does one need to make music? That's rhetorical.

"So I'm all set"
- I completely disagree. This. Is. Sparta! (I mean Gearslutz).

"don't need to buy anything new at this time."
- I strongly agree. However, need is rarely the criteria behind why someone buys a synthesizer.

"The exception will be when I hear a new revolutionary Synth, or let's say Electronic Instrument that I will not be able to resist, and must have it. .. whatever it is."
- I agree, and this is proof that need has nothing to do with it.

"By the way... it feels great not having any GAS to buy more HW Synths."
- Strongly Agree. If more people made music with what they have, they might be happier but some people are happy enough with the GAS and leave the actual music making to the pros.

Thanks for the heads up on "Generate". Gonna check it out.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0gr4m View Post
"I have enough synths to make music"
I agree with the fact but disagree with the premise. You had enough synths to make music when you had just one synth. The fact is, you kept buying synths after the first. Ergo, making music is not the driving force behind the number of synths one owns.

"offering me lots of sonic flavors, both digital, and analog, plus lots of VST-Synths"
I somewhat agree. How many flavors does one need to make music? That's rhetorical.

"So I'm all set"
- I completely disagree. This. Is. Sparta! (I mean Gearslutz).

"don't need to buy anything new at this time."
- I strongly agree. However, need is rarely the criteria behind why someone buys a synthesizer.

"The exception will be when I hear a new revolutionary Synth, or let's say Electronic Instrument that I will not be able to resist, and must have it. .. whatever it is."
- I agree, and this is proof that need has nothing to do with it.

"By the way... it feels great not having any GAS to buy more HW Synths."
- Strongly Agree. If more people made music with what they have, they might be happier but some people are happy enough with the GAS and leave the actual music making to the pros.

Thanks for the heads up on "Generate". Gonna check it out.
Honestly, I don't really care if you agree, or disagree with me. I'm very happy with my collection of instruments. I hope you feel the same.

Make music, and enjoy life.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidDisco View Post
We see this in other areas of production too. Take CGI. If you have an idea in your head visually and motion-wise it can be realized on screen. We’re almost there faithfully recreating dead people on screen.
That is a really great analogy, in that i just don’t like modern movies that use advanced CGI that still looks extremely “cheap” and the absolute cheapest practical effects still looks “right” in my head over superhero movies that just read Mortal Kombat in my head with all the blurred, simultaneously over-smooth and grainy punchy punchy action.

I don’t know if it’s fair to compare CGI to modern FPGA creations, of course. But certainly with the breadth of indie and boutique vendors, we have improvements more than any radical new technologies!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Honestly, I don't really care if you agree, or disagree with me. I'm very happy with my collection of instruments. I hope you feel the same.

Make music, and enjoy life.
That's the right attitude. I only responded because you asked.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
That is a really great analogy, in that i just don’t like modern movies that use advanced CGI that still looks extremely “cheap” and the absolute cheapest practical effects still looks “right” in my head over superhero movies that just read Mortal Kombat in my head with all the blurred, simultaneously over-smooth and grainy punchy punchy action.

I don’t know if it’s fair to compare CGI to modern FPGA creations, of course. But certainly with the breadth of indie and boutique vendors, we have improvements more than any radical new technologies!
You take some of the worst examples of course. There are insane amounts of CGI in movies these days that dont even go noticed due to how well it’s being done
Lives for gear

Quote:
You take some of the worst examples of course. There are insane amounts of CGI in movies these days that dont even go noticed due to how well it’s being done
I like the more organic polish it can add to live action, ala Mandy, the Colour Out Of Space, Midsommar.

But it has to have a justification beyond tacky grandeur (that isn’t tacky enough to go full camp...)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I just had a thought that what would get me to look at new synths isn’t probably going to be revolutionary. That is probably not even possible at this point. What else is there? I don’t think there’s a type of synthesis that I don’t have covered in some way. What would get me interested is something like a Prophet 6 REV2, which had a bank of LFOs similar to the REV2, or a Prophet 12 REV2 that had the 08 DCOs as options for each oscillator... toss in that mod sequencer. An ATC-X REV2 with three oscillators and some more modulation. Things like that would make me trade up, for sure.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have everything I need and more. And I also can't spend any more for like 3 years (I bought a lot this year, I blame covid). Sure, there are a few synths I still want, but I can hopefully get them later. Not wanting more doesn't mean I love synths less, in fact it is the opposite.
Gear Head
A couple of years back when I was still on Facebook I posted a question along the lines of "Can you name me a truly successful hardware synth from the last twenty years that's had a new form of synthesis?"

My criteria were that it must have sold at least several thousand units (high single digit at a bare minimum), be hardware instead of software, primarily feature a new synthesis technology, and not be a virtualization of an existing tech.

There were a few suggestions, but none that met all the criteria. They were either too old (Z1, Wavestation, VL1), failed the virtualization test, or didn't sell that well.

It strikes me that most of the hardware innovation now is in the realm of modular gear. When all the designer needs to do is come up with one groundbreaking element and let everyone else handle the filters, EGs, power supply, or utility modules it makes the process somewhat easier.

We're probably in the stage now for synths that guitars hit perhaps 30 years ago: a creeping conservatism of thought as to what they are, what can be done with them, and what the sufficient technologies are.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin View Post
It strikes me that most of the hardware innovation now is in the realm of modular gear. When all the designer needs to do is come up with one groundbreaking element and let everyone else handle the filters, EGs, power supply, or utility modules it makes the process somewhat easier.

We're probably in the stage now for synths that guitars hit perhaps 30 years ago: a creeping conservatism of thought as to what they are, what can be done with them, and what the sufficient technologies are.
I have yet to hear anything new / revolutionary to be produced by modular, or even walls of modular. Most of it is bleeps and bloobs variant nr. whatever, or some buzzy reverbed and / distorted drone ambient stuff.

Modular appeals to what is appealing about lego, connecting and expanding stuff because you can.. Does it lead to anything sonically meaningful that isnt already out there and/or cant be produced by other more (cost) effective means? Nah.

This isnt intended as a hard diss of modular, and I am genuinely openminded to evidence that it is revolutionary, but so far havent seen / heard it yet (granted it’s subjective but come on...).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When the Motor Synth arrives I might have something to offer ...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I'm probably jinxing myself, but I feel like I've hit stasis with my main studio's samplers and the other workstation as a whole. I'm always going to be tempted by the latest and greatest, and I'll probably give in to temptations to buy a bunch of Electribes all over again, but until then, it feels nice to not be inundated by gear lust. The modular is always going to grow, as I have designed it to, but modules are (usually) cheaper than whole synths.
Gear Maniac

Quote:

This isnt intended as a hard diss of modular, and I am genuinely openminded to evidence that it is revolutionary, but so far havent seen / heard it yet (granted it’s subjective but come on...).
Well, let's compare it with non-modular synths:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin View Post
(...) a truly successful hardware synth from the last twenty years that's had a new form of synthesis?" (...) It strikes me that most of the hardware innovation now is in the realm of modular gear.
An interesting question is, are there really that many new forms of synthesis in the modular world, methods we haven't seen at all elsewhere? I'm thinking synthesis on a fundamental level. Something like the E-RM Polygogo probably counts, I'm not aware of non-modular synths using a similar method. Maybe there are more examples.

Something that's truly revolutionary, that's a lot to ask for. Development of new things is often evolutionary, and much slower.
Lives for gear

about to buy Electribe MX.
there's nothing new and revolutionary about it.
it's old and proven.
also, it's a lot of fun, and this is what really matters.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaocrator View Post
about to buy Electribe MX.
there's nothing new and revolutionary about it.
it's old and proven.
also, it's a lot of fun, and this is what really matters.
Yes.

Nothing I have already is revolutionary, but everything I have is fun, and useful for me.

I just feel I have enough HW to make music, without having to buy more HW-Synths. I will make an exception when I hear something revolutionary, that I really, really like, and can't resist having, or that is totally amazing sonically that I would consider it revolutionary.

Enjoy your Electribe MX. Make some beats, and have lots of fun.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yep, as a longtime collector, I'm good. Last synth I GAS'd for brand new was the Pro 2 and it was worth it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Enjoy the sweet, sweet Comb oscillator...the one big thing IMO that didn't make it over to the Electribe2, along with the nice zippy delays!

I also prefer how the EMX allows you to motion sequence more variables, notably the AmpEG toggle button; there's just no way to do this on the E2.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
The next couple of synth revolutions should be about interface, not type of sound engine—how to more easily and intuitively acccess a bunch of parameters at once. For subtractive the problem’s already solved (big helping of knobs and sliders, clearly grouped); but digital modes of synthesis could be easier. Iridium looks good, and of course some softsynth/ipad stuff.

Synths that try to go both ways can be the most frustrating (Peak, or going way back, the Z1): Lots of knobs for subtractive, menu diving for digital.
Lives for gear

synfs iz synfs.

surely, there is a finite amount of 'synth sounds' ?

yeh actually, there is. and beyond 'go to' 'tools', that you enjoy interacting with, and, possibly, 'need', in the same way that a guitarist needs to pick up his (axe? :-/ ...) (lute?), the 'quest for sound' can be conducted by any means necessary. if you can't do that, you've lost sight of your objectives.

having to pick up all the latest things is an indulgence. it's always a pleasure doing business with you in the 2nd hand ads. i can't see what X Y or Z synth really offers over another other than finite nuance. obviously there are categories, types of synthesis, and you need a good range of means of generating sound, but .. the pain of horsetrading these things, is it worth it?

damn these manufacturers are clever, at making you open your wallet.

unless you have a warehouse and an unlimited budget (and don't even care if you use them or not, to their full extent) - why not just hoard free VST plugins instead, and 'allay' your GAS? park it, in a folder.

Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid View Post
It's just based on west coast style synthesis
Excite a sine wave is just sine wave shaping/ wavefolding , so typical to west coast synthesis
Great plug nonetheless but hardly anything new ,
The reaktor dwg blocks will get you there too
The West Coast stuff is not new, the chaos stuff is new.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl View Post
synfs iz synfs.

yeh actually, there is. and beyond 'go to' 'tools', that you enjoy interacting with, and, possibly, 'need', in the same way that a guitarist needs to pick up his (axe? :-/ ...) (lute?), the 'quest for sound' can be conducted by any means necessary. if you can't do that, you've lost sight of your objectives.

having to pick up all the latest things is an indulgence. it's always a pleasure doing business with you in the 2nd hand ads. i can't see what X Y or Z synth really offers over another other than finite nuance. obviously there are categories, types of synthesis, and you need a good range of means of generating sound, but .. the pain of horsetrading these things, is it worth it?

unless you have a warehouse and an unlimited budget (and don't even care if you use them or not, to their full extent) - why not just hoard free VST plugins instead, and 'allay' your GAS? park it, in a folder.

Are you lost?

I don’t think this is your kind of place.

Let me call you a cab.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGillespie View Post
The West Coast stuff is not new, the chaos stuff is new.
New to Buchla?
Lives for gear

Quote:
synfs iz synfs.

I think you’re definitely hitting some nails on the head. Ultimately sound is more limited in its vatiety than some people may think. The same goes of how certain sonic and patters evoke certain emotions in humans. Sound design and composition can be varied endlessly but only a number of subsets of permutations actually ‘work’ in the context of music, or more broadly also functional sound design. The rest is just a sonic mess. And as it turns out: after producing, recording, archiving music and iterating and fusing music and musical concepts we shouldnt be surprised that anything you hear that has been made today may be good but also ‘done before’.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by percussion boy View Post
Are you lost?

I don’t think this is your kind of place.

Let me call you a cab.
cab?!! cab?!!! did you all see what he called me? TAXI yourself. mods !!
Lives for gear
Quote:
cab?!! cab?!!! did you all see what he called me? TAXI yourself. mods !!
Ha ha ha! Well played! +99
📝 Reply