The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prophet 5 sound incredible, Polybrute Hmmm........
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Which one makes better motorcycle sounds?
It’s counterintuitive but I think the French one.

These make the best motorbike noises
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
These make the best motorbike noises
Can you get that in a rack?
I don’t have a lot of space.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post
Can you get that in a rack?
I don’t have a lot of space.
If you gig with one you'll get plenty of rack
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
If you gig with one you'll get plenty of rack
I’m already working on my VCO face to pull it down.
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

The Roland SH-32 is beat for motorcycle noises; seriously, there's an effect built in which does just that.

Prophet 10 will be best for helicopter.

I suspect Polybrute will excel at fighter jet.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
The Roland SH-32 is beat for motorcycle noises; seriously, there's an effect built in which does just that.

Prophet 10 will be best for helicopter.

I suspect Polybrute will excel at fighter jet.
But which ones are good at making music? I keep buying all these instruments and tools and they just sit there, doing nothing. I really hoped they’d make music for me.

One of these days I’ll have to take matters into my own hands and do it myself!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Repro 5 is not expensive. Connect it to a MIDI controller, done, no worries forever more!
I think Repro 5 will need an update if it wants to compete with P5Rev4 on sound.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
I think Repro 5 will need an update if it wants to compete with P5Rev4 on sound.
Only if they want to emulate the new sound.
I don't think it needs an update. Sure, I'd welcome one. But I doubt there'll be one anytime soon, and it doesn't need it. Zebra 3 is the focus over in Uheville.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Sure; Repro 5 in no way replaces the P5r4. You just get yer thing and then use it and enjoy it, either way, no point looking over your shoulder (unless you have a pet bird and then it's just a question of whether you need to change your shirt, AGAIN).
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Zebra 3 is the focus over in Uheville.
Interesting. Do you know anything about that Unicorn's progress?.
Old 16th October 2020
Lives for gear

I'm not really comparing these two synths. They are so different, like comparing a DX7 to a PPG Wave.

P5 is a classic synth with a good range of typical polysynth sounds, and a few polymod sounds that we're all now very familiar with. I like the sound, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on it.

PB is something really new. It can do most of those standard pads or brass, but the morphing and mod options takes it into new worlds that even a modular can't go. If you can't make great patches with it, you can't blame the synth.

I'm not a youngster, but I'm looking for new synth territories to explore and the PB offers just that. Not interested in playing "hits from the '80s" all day long. That's what your Spotify/vinyl collection is for, if you really must.
Old 16th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
I'm not a youngster, but I'm looking for new synth territories to explore and the PB offers just that. Not interested in playing "hits from the '80s" all day long. That's what your Spotify/vinyl collection is for, if you really must.
This kind of comment is not unusual about the P5, P6, OB-6, etc. The people make the music, not the tool. If your brain associates a sound with a year, that's your brain, not everyone's. A tool is not limited to the year it was made (hey - P5 would be a 2020 instrument... aka timeless), it's only limited by the musician. These kinds of synths aren't limited in sound or genre. They are designed to be more for playing than noodlng - so that's the impact of the design and philosophy taken on them, not the type of music you can use them in. That's also a great context to compare them within.

The "player's synths" emphasize sound quality over features, and are fast and easy to make more amazing sounds with, up to and including those with moderate complexity. The "sound designer's synths" emphasize features over sound quality, and with time and effort spent, can produce amazing soundscapes with few limits.

Unless you fit 100% into one of those buckets, the best of all worlds is to have at least one synth of each type.

Yes, of course, all of the above is a simplification and there's always exception etc etc etc etc.
Old 16th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
This kind of comment is not unusual about the P5, P6, OB-6, etc. The people make the music, not the tool. If your brain associates a sound with a year, that's your brain, not everyone's. A tool is not limited to the year it was made (hey - P5 would be a 2020 instrument... aka timeless), it's only limited by the musician. These kinds of synths aren't limited in sound or genre. They are designed to be more for playing than noodlng - so that's the impact of the design and philosophy taken on them, not the type of music you can use them in. That's also a great context to compare them within.

The "player's synths" emphasize sound quality over features, and are fast and easy to make more amazing sounds with, up to and including those with moderate complexity. The "sound designer's synths" emphasize features over sound quality, and with time and effort spent, can produce amazing soundscapes with few limits.

Unless you fit 100% into one of those buckets, the best of all worlds is to have at least one synth of each type.

Yes, of course, all of the above is a simplification and there's always exception etc etc etc etc.
Complexity isn't everything, I agree. I like the tone of the PB, and the modern features make it great to program too. I also think the PB is the ultimate players synth: morphee, ribbon, etc. More of a performance synth than the P5 in fact as it has so much expressive potential.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Prophet 10 on order, no polybrute here. Sunsyn which goes wild or quantum for a digital edge. The P10 can do much much more than the standard cheese/funk that many gravitate to.

I used to ride motorbikes before I could afford cars. Lovely things. The biggest issue is other road users. I thought about buying one again but the research strongly suggests that 40% deaths the motorcyclist could do nothing about and risk per mile in the UK is actually pretty significant. Not as bad as horse riding obviously;-)

There are lots of ways to have fun in life and that goes for synths and bikes etc.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by touched View Post
I used to take a lot of chances on a dirt bike that could have ended badly. I especially cringe when I see someone ripping down the road on a motorcycle with no skin protection. That may be the most vulnerable organ and people take it for granted. Here's to your continued health!
Thank you for the wishes

And yes, when I see idiots in shorts or even with no gloves I just tut, clearly they've never been down the road at speed because once that happens you don't ride without protection again.

I remember sliding my gsxr750 round a roundabout in my jeans, I was just moving the bike between locations a mile apart so truly didn't think about my leathers, cold tyres and wooosh, slid up the road on my knees which really was a blessing as no highside which would have been worse, 25 years later I still know I did it and man did I know it at the time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

But still, polybrute is mmmmm delicious imo.

And it's a proper synth, with features to push synthesis, which is really why I love synths.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Love them all. From the grandest, most perfectly restored OB-Xa to the tiny, 8-bit Roland A-01K. They each make sound, and each sound is interesting, if your mind is open to it.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
I used to own a Polysix and just couldn’t get into it. I like other polys from that era but the Polysix just doesn’t do it for me. Other Korg things, new and old ...same story. I think I’m just not a Korg guy.
I have recently realized I’m just not a korg guy either, both my trident and original ms20 recently out the door. My preferences lean more towards Roland and Oberheim, I just never reached for the korg’s so out they went to make room for something I would reach for.
📝 Reply