The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prophet 5 sound incredible, Polybrute Hmmm........
Old 11th October 2020
Lives for gear

This is my steed, just took it to the Yorkshire dales.. defo a trip best done without the cage!
Attached Thumbnails
Prophet 5 sound incredible, Polybrute Hmmm........-img_20200919_133754.jpg  
Old 12th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Other than being somewhat in the neighborhood, price wise, I don’t know how you could compare those two. Don’t get me wrong, I love the sound of the Super 6, and I actually considered it after I got rid of my Pro 2 to make space for the PolyBrute, but I decided that I already had three hybrids that I love the sound of (002 and Prophet 12) and only one other analog VCO poly. (Prophet 6) Plus, I just love a synth with a lot of modulation options, and the Super 6 is fairly basic in this respect.
Yeah, you are right.

I've listened to PolyBrute's demos again and there are magical things in there. I just wasn't completely satisfied with the raw tone initially. But a sound designing analog poly like that is quite astonishing.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
This is my steed, just took it to the Yorkshire dales.. defo a trip best done without the cage!
That's not very patriotic, plus it has one too many cylinders.
Old 12th October 2020
Lives for gear

Interesting thread I hadn't noticed until now. The P5 sound has been out there for like forever. People know how to program it and what to expect. PB isn't out in the wild yet. Almost nobody truly knows anything first hand about it. I expect after a year or so, it's true colors will shine.

P5 is all about emotional connection. PB is all about motion connected. Two entirely different things.
Gear Guru

Could all you motorcycle dudes will your synth collections to me? Thanks. PM me for details.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Could all you motorcycle dudes will your synth collections to me? Thanks. PM me for details.
I want a piece of that action.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Anyway.. you need both types of synths
A tone machine (P5) and a noodle machine (Polybrute)
So true.

For me lately it's been The Source (tone) and the Quantum (noodle city)
Lives for gear

Two recently launched synthesizers from different companies have distinct feature sets, sounds, and prices. Each of them appeals to various people based on their expectations. In other news...
Lives for gear
I bet in a blind test with some basic patches on each, you would not be able to tell me which was which. What you need is a DX7.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay Smearing View Post
That's not very patriotic, plus it has one too many cylinders.
Triumph counted correctly with the Bonneville, the smart car inspired triples are a recent innovation!

Lives for gear

Quote:
Sure, I just need your address, date of birth, and social security number.. than I'll be right on it.
Old 12th October 2020
Lives for gear
Sorry, why only 5 voices? This is ridiculous today and for this price (and the 10 is also too expensive).
Why those stupid patch numbers? I don't like having to write down numbers with patch names.

I know it should be a reissue (if it was Behringer it was called clone) but I like to think practical and simpel.

Look at this:

best regards

Last edited by Behrmoog; 12th October 2020 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: Sorry for this ridiculous typo "votes".
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behrmoog View Post
Sorry, why only 5 votes? This is ridiculous today and for this price (and the 10 is also too expensive).
Why those stupid patch numbers? I don't like having to write down numbers with patch names.

I know it should be a reissue (if it was Behringer it was called clone) but I think practical and simpel.

best regards

It's a Prophet 5. Made with the creator of the Prophet 5. As a new version of the Prophet 5, not a clone (can't be a clone when a new version that isn't identical is done by the same company, let alone the same creator being involved). Ergo, it's one of the "legendary" analog synthesizers by a legendary synthesizer designer, made for professional musicians (and collectors).

It can't be cheap to have designed, sourced, manufactured, warehoused, and delivered to resellers.

The market is clearly willing to pay this, especially given the price of the ancient synths from the 80s.

I have 2 analog synths by different companies, and neither show the names of patches. If you spend time with your instrument and create and organize the patches yourself, it's really not an issue. Or, if I care, all I do is start up the PC editor app/plugin. Easy.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
It's a Prophet 5. Made with the creator of the Prophet 5. As a new version of the Prophet 5, not a clone (can't be a clone when a new version that isn't identical is done by the same company, let alone the same creator being involved). Ergo, it's one of the "legendary" analog synthesizers by a legendary synthesizer designer, made for professional musicians (and collectors).

It can't be cheap to have designed, sourced, manufactured, warehoused, and delivered to resellers.

The market is clearly willing to pay this, especially given the price of the ancient synths from the 80s.

I have 2 analog synths by different companies, and neither show the names of patches. If you spend time with your instrument and create and organize the patches yourself, it's really not an issue. Or, if I care, all I do is start up the PC editor app/plugin. Easy.
Repro 5 is not expensive. Connect it to a MIDI controller, done, no worries forever more!

Now you can go out and buy that Polybrute.

Or just get Arturia V Collection 7 and be vintage the rest of your life! Why clutter up your pretty Brooklyn apartments with furniture?! So retro.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Repro 5 is not expensive. Connect it to a MIDI controller, done, no worries forever more!

Now you can go out and buy that Polybrute.

Or just get Arturia V Collection 7 and be vintage the rest of your life! Why clutter up your pretty Brooklyn apartments with furniture?! So retro.
The large format full synths should come with an optional wood cover with rubber seal so it can double as a coffee table. Or dining table. The PolyBrute is halfway there with the wood legs!!

And, yeah, I use Repro (1 more than 5) - I'll probably never have an actual P5.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
The large format full synths should come with an optional wood cover with rubber seal so it can double as a coffee table. Or dining table. The PolyBrute is halfway there with the wood legs!!

And, yeah, I use Repro (1 more than 5) - I'll probably never have an actual P5.
Honestly, if you’re happy with Repro 5, or software in general, all of this is really a tempest in a teapot.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Honestly, if you’re happy with Repro 5, or software in general, all of this is really a tempest in a teapot.
The Tempest engine was more based on the Evolver/Prophet ‘08 design and I think the safety part of the manual clearly recommended keeping it away from liquids, such as tea.
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Tempest engine was more based on the Evolver/Prophet ‘08 design and I think the safety part of the manual clearly recommended keeping it away from liquids, such as tea.
It seems the pandemic is starting to play with people’s minds!

Though little secret: Dave plans to make an actual recreation of the Tempest small enough to fit in a teapot! It will ship in one, and require careful handling, and extraction. My sources tell me it will be made of a substance not unlike that which makes up octopus bodies. Octopus have been synthesized in labs for this very purpose.

So getting the Tempest out of the teapot will not be as hard as it might sound.

You need to let it dry for a few hours before playing, though. If you need to gig with it, just soak it in the sink for a few minutes and back into the teapot it goes!

The future is looking so, so bright!
Gear Guru

Quote:
It seems the pandemic is starting to play with people’s minds!

Though little secret: Dave plans to make an actual recreation of the Tempest small enough to fit in a teapot! It will ship in one, and require careful handling, and extraction. My sources tell me it will be made of a substance not unlike that which makes up octopus bodies. Octopus have been synthesized in labs for this very purpose.

So getting the Tempest out of the teapot will not be as hard as it might sound.

You need to let it dry for a few hours before playing, though. If you need to gig with it, just soak it in the sink for a few minutes and back into the teapot it goes!

The future is looking so, so bright!

Kidding aside, can you imagine when we have technology that uses animal brain cells as computation devices? Replace your old Akai sampler with something that uses a parrot brain to resynthesize sounds? Can they imitate 8 bit!? I think cephalopods would be better at providing high resolution display drivers.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post
Like Judge Judy said. I'll stay in the car surrounded by seat belts and steel thank you.

I'd love a nice sports bike myself but wow do the odds of sh*t going south ramp up on one of those things my man.

i have had more accidents in cars than on bikes and i have ridden bikes since i was 6 , raced off and on and road most of my life and ridden them legally on the road since i was 16, i am 44 now , i have had everything from a 1962 tiger cub to a panigale and everything in between

i also know more people who have crashed cars (suppose that is obvious) and many who have sadly died than on bikes too, 5 of my friends were taken in one go a 21st birthday, 2 more were taken in one night on a motorway, another thanks to an oak tree, i was in a crash with a bus when the driver fell asleep that hit us and i lost 2 friends - bike deaths i know 2 in all my life and 1 of those was off road @ a race meeting in derbyshire, the odds seem to sway toward 2 wheels in my experience

edit: my point is this, life is too short to live in fear of the unknown and especially when it is, well, unknown

kinda like living in fear of 2020, a bit silly really all things considered
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
Sure, I just need your address, date of birth, and social security number.. than I'll be right on it.
bank details could help too, you know for DP checks n that
Lives for gear

Quote:

Kidding aside, can you imagine when we have technology that uses animal brain cells as computation devices? Replace your old Akai sampler with something that uses a parrot brain to resynthesize sounds? Can they imitate 8 bit!? I think cephalopods would be better at providing high resolution display drivers.
Yes, then when something goes wrong, you can say, what was it thinking?!

I would not underestimate animal brains, however; they are built differently and in the case of birds, actually far more brainpower is packed in their cute little skulls than we assume.

I also suspect birds, octopus and wolf spiders are telepathy-capable. They may be permanently angry if we trap them inside alien machinery.

We must first feel what it’s like to be a bird or octopus, and what it’s like to think and dream like a bird or octopus, before we conduct any further experimentation on them.

For all we know, life on Planet Earth may be sustained entirely by bird brains and octopus brains. We may be a mere side effect, an experiment gone wrong.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post

i have had more accidents in cars than on bikes and i have ridden bikes since i was 6 , raced off and on and road most of my life and ridden them legally on the road since i was 16, i am 44 now , i have had everything from a 1962 tiger cub to a panigale and everything in between

i also know more people who have crashed cars (suppose that is obvious) and many who have sadly died than on bikes too, 5 of my friends were taken in one go a 21st birthday, 2 more were taken in one night on a motorway, another thanks to an oak tree, i was in a crash with a bus when the driver fell asleep that hit us and i lost 2 friends - bike deaths i know 2 in all my life and 1 of those was off road @ a race meeting in derbyshire, the odds seem to sway toward 2 wheels in my experience

edit: my point is this, life is too short to live in fear of the unknown and especially when it is, well, unknown

Best reason to get both a Polybrute and Prophet 5.
Lives for gear

Quote:

I used to take a lot of chances on a dirt bike that could have ended badly. I especially cringe when I see someone ripping down the road on a motorcycle with no skin protection. That may be the most vulnerable organ and people take it for granted. Here's to your continued health!

Last edited by touched; 12th October 2020 at 11:28 PM..
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes, then when something goes wrong, you can say, what was it thinking?!

I would not underestimate animal brains, however; they are built differently and in the case of birds, actually far more brainpower is packed in their cute little skulls than we assume.

I also suspect birds, octopus and wolf spiders are telepathy-capable. They may be permanently angry if we trap them inside alien machinery.

We must first feel what it’s like to be a bird or octopus, and what it’s like to think and dream like a bird or octopus, before we conduct any further experimentation on them.

For all we know, life on Planet Earth may be sustained entirely by bird brains and octopus brains. We may be a mere side effect, an experiment gone wrong.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Best reason to get both a Polybrute and Prophet 5.
With the proceeds of your sold motorcycles. You kids are crazy. I dated a girl who was an EMT and among themselves they called you, “organ donors.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post
. . . I'd love a nice sports bike myself but wow do the odds of sh*t going south ramp up on one of those things my man.
I know. I finally relented to my GF's and mom's protests. I only wanted it so I could have that girl-on-the-back look as we motored down to the beach. :::::sigh::::: Love, love, love that bike though. It's one of the few bikes where my feet can actually touch the ground.

If I ever have a chance to get a place in Hawaii, however, this is the first thing I would buy. That, and one electric car (actually, I would probably ship my Ford Focus Electric there—love that car).

Regarding the P5/10 and Polybute, thankfully, I got over my GAS for both. My P6/OB-6 will do just fine for now (the DS80 may be another story . . . ).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I know. I finally relented to my GF's and mom's protests. I only wanted it so I could have that girl-on-the-back look as we motored down to the beach. :::::sigh::::: Love, love, love that bike though. It's one of the few bikes where my feet can actually touch the ground.

If I ever have a chance to get a place in Hawaii, however, this is the first thing I would buy. That, and one electric car (actually, I would probably ship my Ford Focus Electric there—love that car).

Regarding the P5/10 and Polybute, thankfully, I got over my GAS for both. My P6/OB-6 will do just fine for now (the DS80 may be another story . . . ).
Good you haven’t lost your original enthusiasm for those synths; they’re as good now as the day they launched.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Unintuitively, I think it's easier not to have an accident on a bike if you're a decent enough rider, you have more strategies to avoid them...

ofc the penalties for bad behaviour on a bike can be greater!

I'm not sure I'd want to ride a bike in the US tbf, and people who don't wear helmets are eedjits (is wearing them a law yet?)

I made friends with a metal railing after stumbling into hip height flood at 530am on a winter morning, I'd be missing a good part of my face were it not for my lid
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

Which one makes better motorcycle sounds?
It’s counterintuitive but I think the French one.
📝 Reply