The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Prophet 5 sound incredible, Polybrute Hmmm........
Old 9th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Shall I make another personal affection thread, say the:

" MFB Synth Pro blows away the new P5 and PolyBrute "

That thing sounds phenomenal, is compact, great modulation, etc. but that's just an opinion.

Should we make more confusing threads: Why the Deluge is better than Akai Force, why the Force is better than the Deluge, why the Pyramid is better than the Deluge...

It's a free for all forum, but just like Xander alludes to below, every synth has it's purpose. The PolyBrute is a beautiful synth and the world's your oyster with it. I feel like this is a shaming Arturia thread lol

I understand people might feel the P5 sounds more organic than the PolyBrute and are maybe trying to send Arturia a message to do the same with their Osc or core sound. But who says that in the future people aren't going to crave what the PolyBrute is. And maybe it becomes the P5 of the 80s.

I used to think all software synths sound like crap, but after trying really hard to understand why other people like them, I can appreciate that they do indeed sound different by typically having a smoother synthetic sound and I appreciate that a ton of people love the music that people have made with those soft synths. That's nostalgia right there.

The generation of people that grow up with soft synths being the backbone of their favorite artists/music, will have the same nostalgia for soft synths that 80s kids have for the 80s hardware analog synths.

It's no different. Nor is it any superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I can’t get over why people say VERY subjective things like this on GS, and pass it off as objective truth.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTBatmaN View Post
Don't buy synths for features if you want to make music, sound design is cool but I feel most of the time complex modulation will not fix a sound that is "meh" to begin with.
Again, I completely disagree. Definitely buy synths
with the features you need to make music, buy odd synths with odd features!

And complex modulation will totally transform a sound...give you something unique and not the same pad that several other thousand people are using at the exact same moment.

Sorry, I’m just stirring things up in this cork-sniffing echo chamber...
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillLife7 View Post
To me, the Polybrute just sounds chocolately - and I love chocolate. I preorderded, it will be my first (and only) hardware synth. Happy in advance. I also look forward to using it as a vst, since that has been a dream of me: a hardware instrument communicating with the daw as if it were software. Best of both worlds, I hope.
If it’s your first hardware synth, I’m sure it will not be the only...
Old 9th October 2020
Lives for gear

I'm personally extremely impressed with the Polybrute. I love the colourful saturated tone underneath the modern first impressions. As I already have an old P5, I'm not really in the market for that , but could definitely be tempted by the 10 in the future, after scaling back a few things in the studio. The new Prophets seem to, logically as Rev 4's, capture a turn-of the-80s tone while still sounding like Prophet 5s. In the short term, I might replace my Korg Trident MkII with the Polybrute - that's how impressed I am with it.

Last edited by wendell r.; 9th October 2020 at 08:53 AM..
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFoster View Post

Sometimes being able to do a thing doesn't mean you always should. Restraint and self-control is a good thing.

Old 9th October 2020
Lives for gear

Why does it always come down to seriously slagging the "other" synth in these "vs" threads? Hmmm...

Let's face some facts... how many synths can stand up to ALL the Prophet-5's in one "box" as Dave calls it?

Exactly. It's the OG analog poly and it's fvk'n back!

Now y'all wanna slag on the BIG A and their very first analog poly? Phfff

The PB is a killer beast and a perfect sequel to Brutus MaXimus the 2nd, so please get a real opinion!
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Again, I completely disagree. Definitely buy synths
with the features you need to make music, buy odd synths with odd features!

And complex modulation will totally transform a sound...give you something unique and not the same pad that several other thousand people are using at the exact same moment.

Sorry, I’m just stirring things up in this cork-sniffing echo chamber...
So I am a cork-sniffer then?
I play piano since I was eight, it never bothered me that many other people over the last few hundreds years used the same basic sound. What really bothers me though is a bad sounding piano (be it be because of the room or the instrument)
Gear Addict
I hope the polybrute is successful as the world needs more forward thinking and innovative synths.. Badly emulating music of the past is getting real boring
Old 9th October 2020
Lives for gear

Polybrute is such a disappointment. Listening to all the YT videos it always sounds the same, and not in a good way.
Lives for gear

Honestly, a bad sounding instrument is better than no instrument.

Plus there's hardly any outright bad sounding modern synths, its more preference, nostalgia & hyperbole now.
Old 9th October 2020
Deleted e86dc22
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post
Just from Youtube. Are you guys hearing what I'm hearing?.
different synths , differently voices , what i am hearing is 2 different synths , ones an old design and one a new design .

The world went totally bipolar didnt it .
Old 9th October 2020
Lives for gear

Polybrute is great.

Prophet 5 is great.

Some prefer one. Some prefer the other. Some want both. Some prefer something else.

Whichever floats your boat, and fits your studio, music and budget, is the synth, or synths to buy.

Can't we just get along?
Old 9th October 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

Prophet 5 is the minimoog of the polys. Known quantity, you get what you know you're gonna get. No surprises.

Polybrute and other similar synths will require learning. That's all.

I'm with @ zerocrossing , disco sucks
But I might end up with a prophet 10, just because.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy View Post
...now you have
Artist rendition of me right now:

Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizer bunny View Post
xanderbeanz.....I'm sorry....but it's coming, wait for it........I loooooove the SOUND of the Prophet in comparison to the SOUND I've heard out of the Polybrute AAARRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!. I'm sorry xander SOUND SOOOUUUUNNNNDDD
Everyone has vastly different ideas of “sound.” I personally am surprised that there’s not a near 100% positive opinion on the Polybrute, but I’m also surprised at my surprise, because there’s no accounting for personal taste. I like the sound of the new Prophets, but... SURPRISE! I like the sound of the Prophet 6 more. I know there are people who are just as confused about that.

I just consider myself super lucky that I can have both a Prophet 6 and a Polybrute, though if I had to have one, I’d probably pick the Polybrute, just because of its far greater abilities. I’m not saying that I could force the Polybrute to take on the personality of any Prophet, but my guess from the demos I’ve heard, is that I’d be pretty happy with it for the types of sounds I’m getting out of the Prophet 6. Not super happy, but happy.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petajaja View Post
I hope the polybrute is successful as the world needs more forward thinking and innovative synths.. Badly emulating music of the past is getting real boring
Agreed. I was curious about the music for S.U.R.V.I.V.E. after hearing the soundtrack music for Stranger Things, but when I heard one of their albums... so boring. It all sounded like demo tracks for a retro preset pack. Works great in the context of that show, but that type of music isn’t going to make the cut for general listening in my world. What’s more interesting to me is when people take retro type sounds and mix them with new types of sounds. NIN used to do that really well... not sure who’s doing that well now... probably Thom Yorke.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
Prophet 5 is the minimoog of the polys. Known quantity, you get what you know you're gonna get. No surprises.

Polybrute and other similar synths will require learning. That's all.

I'm with @ zerocrossing , disco sucks
But I might end up with a prophet 10, just because.
Disco does not suck. Let's argue about that instead.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
Agreed. I was curious about the music for S.U.R.V.I.V.E. after hearing the soundtrack music for Stranger Things, but when I heard one of their albums... so boring. It all sounded like demo tracks for a retro preset pack. Works great in the context of that show, but that type of music isn’t going to make the cut for general listening in my world. What’s more interesting to me is when people take retro type sounds and mix them with new types of sounds. NIN used to do that really well... not sure who’s doing that well now... probably Thom Yorke.
Oh hey: rap, hip hop and R&B over here. Ever heard of 'em?
Old 9th October 2020
Lives for gear

I wonder...

In an alternate universe where the PolyBrute came out in 1977, does the P5 still have the same legendary status? Or were many of those old hits made with the PolyBrute and it is the legend?

We'll never know, but an interesting exercise.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
I wonder...

In an alternate universe where the PolyBrute came out in 1977, does the P5 still have the same legendary status? Or were many of those old hits made with the PolyBrute and it is the legend?

We'll never know, but an interesting exercise.
Well the CS-80 was in ‘77 wasn’t it? It’s a classic. I’m sure the ‘77 PolyBrute would be a sought after mythical vintage collectors item as well as the P5. Imagine the John Carpenter movie soundtracks made with a PolyBrute!
Old 9th October 2020
Lives for gear

C'Mon Yamaha! You're next!
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Oh hey: rap, hip hop and R&B over here. Ever heard of 'em?
Sure, but those music styles were around in the 80s, and the “newest” sound I’ve heard on those genres is the copious use of auto-tune.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
i love the old Korg tone of ssm polysix & trident, and 700 and MS mono range. alas their new analog sound, launched with prologue/monologue/minilogue - ughh not for me.

except the lovely microfreak hybrid, which i would love a polyphonic version of, i don't feel much better about Arturia analog line either, including the new PolyBrute.

no matter the powerful arhitecture, flexibility and magnificent mod matrix, there's an everpresent sonicprint on all demos, including the boring but thorough ones from Marc Doty about oscillators, shapers, filters etc. if i were to put it in words, i find it metallic, fizzy, unapologetically cold tone. and like many modern analogs, mid scooped too much. and it is not something you can out-program, always there.

i get that some like it exactly bcs of this, very different from all other polys, but to be frank, its the anti-thesis of what i look for in analog sound.
Some day if I make it again to a store out of state that will actually have one on display (post pandemic), I will definitely give Polybrute a try but on videos I’m not sold.

I used to own a Polysix and just couldn’t get into it. I like other polys from that era but the Polysix just doesn’t do it for me. Other Korg things, new and old ...same story. I think I’m just not a Korg guy.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
Shall I make another personal affection thread, say the:

" MFB Synth Pro blows away the new P5 and PolyBrute "

That thing sounds phenomenal, is compact, great modulation, etc. but that's just an opinion.

Should we make more confusing threads: Why the Deluge is better than Akai Force, why the Force is better than the Deluge, why the Pyramid is better than the Deluge...

It's a free for all forum, but just like Xander alludes to below, every synth has it's purpose. The PolyBrute is a beautiful synth and the world's your oyster with it. I feel like this is a shaming Arturia thread lol

I understand people might feel the P5 sounds more organic than the PolyBrute and are maybe trying to send Arturia a message to do the same with their Osc or core sound. But who says that in the future people aren't going to crave what the PolyBrute is. And maybe it becomes the P5 of the 80s.

I used to think all software synths sound like crap, but after trying really hard to understand why other people like them, I can appreciate that they do indeed sound different by typically having a smoother synthetic sound and I appreciate that a ton of people love the music that people have made with those soft synths. That's nostalgia right there.

The generation of people that grow up with soft synths being the backbone of their favorite artists/music, will have the same nostalgia for soft synths that 80s kids have for the 80s hardware analog synths.

It's no different. Nor is it any superior.
Great points. I’d further add that in cases where a synth is designed to have a ton of modulation, having the fattest and most authentically unstable oscillators is an impediment. You don’t have gymnasts looking like Arnold or Beyoncé.

I think people like synths are generally divided up into two groups, though of course there’s overlap and degrees. The first group is looking at synths as a way to explore, the second group is looking for classic sounds from the music they love. Someone all the way over to the “classic sounds” camp isn’t going to ever want a PolyBrute, but someone who’s on the opposite side of things isn’t getting to want a Prophet 5 of any revision. Most of us live in the middle somewhere, but I definitely lean to the side of exploration.
Old 9th October 2020
Gear Head

Tillamook French vanilla ice cream is the best..but Umpqua chocolate ice cream is hmmmmm.
Lives for gear

The PolyBrute weighs more so it has to have more sound in there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
Polybrute is great.

Prophet 5 is great.
I think they both sound great. I'm in the "want both" camp. In fact, if I didn't already own four polys, I would buy a Polybrute and a Prophet-10, and be done with it. Together, you get truly unique sounds (morphing) and an excellent feature-set in the PB and authentic Prophet sounds with per-voice LFOs, Sequential's best-ever vintage algorithms, and a ton of voices in the P10. Win-win!
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would just like to correct the record and say that I have never in my life said the phrase “swarmy, warmy.”
I was going to say, produce your entire intranet history or you did. But I'm almost always late to the party.
Old 10th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think people like synths are generally divided up into two groups, though of course there’s overlap and degrees. The first group is looking at synths as a way to explore, the second group is looking for classic sounds from the music they love. Someone all the way over to the “classic sounds” camp isn’t going to ever want a PolyBrute, but someone who’s on the opposite side of things isn’t getting to want a Prophet 5 of any revision. Most of us live in the middle somewhere, but I definitely lean to the side of exploration.
And the reason I’m glued to GS most of the time is because I’m just waiting for that manufacturer who captures the attention and adoration of both of those sides. Someday someone is going to make that perfect synth. Or not...maybe it can’t be done, but it’s sure fun watching them try
Old 10th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
What’s more interesting to me is when people take retro type sounds and mix them with new types of sounds. NIN used to do that really well...
Isn't most good music smashing and stretching old genres into a more distinctive voice?

I'm curious, are you talking about NIN's influences like Bowie, Kiss, Prince?

He has to have had a somewhat proggy base for some of his experimentation, but I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at here.

Not a slight, I'm interested to understand as I really enjoy trying to unlock what just "works" in their music. I know Reznor was absolutely influenced by "french impressionist" composition, expressivity, use of dissonance and emotion.... I really wish I knew what to learn in music theory (I've looked all over for books.)
📝 Reply