The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM 2021 Believe in Music - Your Predictions, Rumors and Desires...
Old 12th October 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 587b215
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Iโ€™ve always wanted them to make an instrument and name it The Mooglet.
Iโ€™ll take a dozen.
Attached Thumbnails
NAMM 2021 Believe in Music - Your Predictions, Rumors and Desires...-593f2a10-24e5-49f0-9d2f-2cee1f071499.jpg  
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 587b215 โžก๏ธ
Iโ€™ll take a dozen.
I'd like a module version. I can't fit a keyboard this large.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Seriously, keyboards are an hard fit.

NAMM 2021 Believe in Music - Your Predictions, Rumors and Desires...-othermother.png

Moog OtherMother! Module/cabinet synth/effect unit derived from the Grandmother/Matriarch. Roughly:
Top row: preamp/envelop follower, LFO, OSC1, OSC2, Mix, Filter, F Env, Amp Env
Middle: brand, utilities, spaghetti zone
Bottom: MIDI interface, Sequencer, MuRF, Stereo Delay, Output, Spring Reverb
The sequencer, MuRF, and Delay combine together to create Other-worldly pulsing soundscapes! Perfect tool for your next vintage sci-fi soundtrack

(MuRF: Multiple Resonant Filters that are modulated/sequenced, can act as a simple fixed filter bank)
Attached Thumbnails
NAMM 2021 Believe in Music - Your Predictions, Rumors and Desires...-othermother.png  
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Something, anything that sounds like a TVP!
I love the sound of Textured Vegetable Protein landing in a trash bin...
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Seriously, keyboards are an hard fit.

Moog OtherMother! Module/cabinet synth/effect unit derived from the Grandmother/Matriarch. Roughly:
Top row: preamp/envelop follower, LFO, OSC1, OSC2, Mix, Filter, F Env, Amp Env
Middle: brand, utilities, spaghetti zone
Bottom: MIDI interface, Sequencer, MuRF, Stereo Delay, Output, Spring Reverb
The sequencer, MuRF, and Delay combine together to create Other-worldly pulsing soundscapes! Perfect tool for your next vintage sci-fi soundtrack

(MuRF: Multiple Resonant Filters that are modulated/sequenced, can act as a simple fixed filter bank)
I'd go for this. The Moog Music Inc. take on an Arp 2600.
I'd just take a Matriarch in this format honestly. Looks awesome.
Expand this to the 4 oscillators of the Matriarch and the two filters and I'm 100% on board.
Old 12th October 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

Eurorackable SEMs from Tom are what I dream about when I dare dream gear dreams.

Or maybe a Model:Cycles XL with 8x 1/4" outs.

I hope to see more CV integration in general.

More sophisticated Sequencers would be great, too, more alternatives to the Pyramid and Cirklon and the others we already know.
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
seeing as wavetables are hip, i can see elektron doing a digiwave in the same case as digitone. also give it stupid 8 note poly, no arp on midi etc. take the fm section and replace it with some complex oscillator or wavetable engine and keep the rest. filter etc.

and korg better up their game with a new electribe with a nicer screen, proper cpu muscle and some interesting sound engines. keep the nice filters from the s2
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Still waiting for something like this from Moog. Or a full on Memory Moog re-issue. It is going to happen some day I am sure. The time is right for something like this. It will cost you an arm and a leg I am afraid though.

The story goes:
"It's the prototype for the Moog SL8 (1983). The story goes, Moog brought this to NAMM 83 as an 8 voice polyphonic synth, a follow up to the Memory Moog (which btw has the fattest Osc's I might have ever heard). They brought the cards for the SL8 to NAMM in a 'cardboard box' and this was placed below the SL8 for performance during NAMM. After NAMM the cardboard box containing the cards was lost or misplaced and all the remains is the body. The PolyMoog can be a nightmare, but this is due to the body warping. The plastic container was reinforced on certain later revs (If memory serves correct), but early models suffer a twisting frame and thus damage to the cards. We have a PolyMoog in the collection. I could post a pic on a later date of it. I use the Memory Moog as a go to, the PolyMoog doesn't get as much use as it should."
"Yes. I am the Technical Director of the Audities Foundation. The purpose of the collection is to make sound and art with sonic artifacts This is one of the rarest synths around, but unfortunately lost to time."

via user from Moog Fan Club
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 10 years
Let's find that box guys!
Old 13th October 2020
Gear Nut

I'm hoping we'll see another manufacturer rise to the same challenge that 1010 did with the Bluebox, but in a studio-oriented piece of hardware. Footprint like an SQ-5, say, on the order of 24 inputs, hardware inserts, and all the conveniences of a good digital mixer, plus a real studio-oriented multi-track system. Hardware-wise, it's a couple SSD bays plus a bit of extra CPU; the complexity is all in the software.
Old 13th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ockeghem View Post
I love the sound of Textured Vegetable Protein landing in a trash bin...
Me, I prefer the sound of old tofu slamming into the side of a sheepdog; doesn't matter what side.
Old 13th October 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Old 14th October 2020
Lives for gear

Modal is bringing something new in November. Looks like Argon8. Maybe Argon16? I'd like to see something bolder though.

Old 14th October 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I have an idea:

A midi controller with a wide shelf on back and a built in line mixer and built in midi router. The reason: to neatly hold 3 or 4 desktop synth modules, drum machines, effects, etc.

Fatar made a 61 key midi controller in the 90s with a wide shelf on back. It was designed to hold a dedicated computer keyboard for an early music production home studio. I have one exactly like this (not my photo.)

Fatar CMS-61
(Anyone recognize the Studiologic Sledge shape?)

What I'd like is something with this basic shape (with a full width shelf) with a line mixer and midi router along the front bezel - controls front forward and jack sockets top back. That way you put a desktop synth module, a small drum machine, and an effects box and keep it all in a tight assemblage.
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroZon View Post
I have an idea:

A midi controller with a wide shelf on back and a built in line mixer and built in midi router. The reason: to neatly hold 3 or 4 desktop synth modules, drum machines, effects, etc.
Yes, great idea. But it must be possible to put another layer on top of that, so you can hold moar stuff...
Old 14th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
I believe that their next product will be either a "Memorymother" with a virtual mod matrix a la Arturia and a patch memory, or, a "Polymother" with 4-6 voices of polyphony and a new voice board design, based on the Grandmother.
Old 15th October 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Old 15th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
It has been a year since the corona crisis has hit the whole world hard, which greatly de-accelerated economics. More then a few people earn less, the world is in crisis. Big companies tend to be quieter in such times, without any hazardous moves such as changing the successful, paid-off products with something that would not sell as good, regardless of the advancement in technology introduced in it.

So I think that there will be no big surprises, except for a few safe bets such as Volca/Boutique alike products, and that's it, even if many of the high-end, and a step or two lower products are already long on the market such as Roland FA-06 (2014), Korg Kross (2013/2017), Krome (2012), Kronos (2011).

I would be surprised if something big comes out.
Old 15th October 2020
Lives for gear

Urs released his first Eurorack module, that's pretty awesome and more or less lines up with the event.
Old 15th October 2020
Lives for gear

Now that NAMM isnโ€™t going to be the in-person love fest it usually is and more and more synth companies are having big success doing roll outs in the fall, I wonder how important NAMM will continue to be for new product introductions. I also wonder if itโ€™s going to be easier to get lost in the shuffle of virtual events rather than just making announcements on your own so that you kind of own the airtime. Really worked for Arturia and Sequential over the past month.

That said, Iโ€™m hoping there are still some big announcements or surprises come January. Would love to see the Opsix from Korg, would love to see a poly or memory Mother from Moog, I expect weโ€™ll get a Prophet module announcement from Sequential, who knows where Roland is heading? Maybe Arturia announces a Poly or Mini freak. Yamaha Iโ€™m sure has another shade for the Montage. Modal is definitely heading towards an Argon 16. Would love something new from AMS. More than anything Iโ€™d like surprises and innovation. And maybe a classic reissue or two just for the oooโ€™s and ahhhโ€™s.
Old 16th October 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Old 16th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
Bet it smells of mothballs and hot solder in there
Old 16th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Rob Lowe View Post
Bet it smells of mothballs
i didnt know moths had balls
Old 16th October 2020
Lives for gear

or

Old 16th October 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Old 18th October 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Old 20th October 2020
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Old 20th October 2020
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I'm hoping to see more of that opsix synth from KORG.
Old 20th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistingknobs View Post
I'm hoping to see more of that opsix synth from KORG.
I think we all are
๐Ÿ“ Reply