The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Novation & Aphex Twin Collaboration hinted
Old 5th October 2020
Novation AFX Station

So this just appeared on Twitter: https://twitter.com/phonicarecords/s...803811330?s=20

The image appears to be a circuit board obscured by the AFX logo.

According to the Twitter post, "More news to be revealed via @WeAreNovation on October 20th"

So what is it? Another Bass Station? AFX mode for Peak? Place your bets folks!
Old 5th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Interesting. We can easily see part of the Bass Station interface, so likely related to that, but is it a firmware update? A special edition? A new model? Sound pack?

I'm leaning towards a special edition (MoroderNova...) with the AFX logo in the back

edit: I'm pretty sure it says "Novation AFX Station" at the bottom/left-most part of the interface... Or am-I seeing things?

editedit: I'm sure it's a special edition at this point, same interface, same I/O in the back. I wonder what color it'll be.
Attached Thumbnails
New Novation & Aphex Twin Collaboration hinted-afxstationmaybe.png  
Old 6th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox View Post
Interesting. We can easily see part of the Bass Station interface, so likely related to that, but is it a firmware update? A special edition? A new model? Sound pack?

I'm leaning towards a special edition (MoroderNova...) with the AFX logo in the back

edit: I'm pretty sure it says "Novation AFX Station" at the bottom/left-most part of the interface... Or am-I seeing things?

editedit: I'm sure it's a special edition at this point, same interface, same I/O in the back. I wonder what color it'll be.
Ding ding, we have a winner! That's a great catch, it really looks super obvious now that you mention it. I'd strongly assume it's a special edition with some typical quirks.
Old 6th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I made the mistake of not buying Nova Moroder when they were new. Novation released some (not all) of the presets some time later. I will plan to get the Aphex edition of this.
Old 7th October 2020
Lives for gear

More teasing on Novation's social media channels. Due for release on Oct. 20.
In the teaser images, I think I read a "Glide Div" indication below the "Input Gain" writing on the far left of the panel. So it's most probably a Bass Station II with updated front panel showing all the new functions from the firmware updates, and...? New color scheme? New AFX preset banks? New firmware?
Old 7th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oh, I think they actually printed a stylized circuit board on the front panel as part of the new look. Could look nice.

Anyway, this is annoying. The teasers are showing so much it makes you wonder if that's really all there is to it. We've a pretty good idea of what's going on on the outside, they aren't really trying to hide it. Are there any internal changes is the big question, cause a new AFX look or presets ain't worth that much build-up

edit: maybe it's circuit bent, cause Novation has a bit of hacker culture going on, would fit.
Old 7th October 2020
Lives for gear
probably a new suit of clothes for the emporer, nothing to see here.
Old 7th October 2020
Lives for gear
this is the new Circuit...
Old 7th October 2020
Old 7th October 2020
Lives for gear
my apathy knows no bounds

Old 7th October 2020
Lives for gear
Now these pictures are up and on the Novation’s twitter webpage. This is the new Circuit, prepare your wallets…
Old 7th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way. Like this might be an Aphex show/release/thing, with Novation being a side show to that. That could explain the two weeks lead up and the logo appearing in so many places.
Old 7th October 2020
Lives for gear
No, this is an official announcement for a new product

From Novation twitter page:

LA // Berlin // Bristol // London More info incoming: 20.10.20
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice187 View Post
this is the new Circuit...
i suspect so too, because i remember a post in Facebook Circuit Owners group from august 14th…
Yves Big City is well known sound designer who made several sound packs for Circuit, he definitely might know something.

New Novation & Aphex Twin Collaboration hinted-circuit2.png
Attached Thumbnails
New Novation & Aphex Twin Collaboration hinted-circuit2.png  
Old 8th October 2020
Lives for gear
Yeah, this is the Circuit 2, I’m curious to see the new features, hopefully it will support sampler capabilities, and it will be with a screen.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWestSE View Post
To the left you can read "X Station".
Old 8th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
To the left you can read "X Station".
Novation already had one of those

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
Novation already had one of those

I know.
Which is why it's weird.
Perhaps an MKII?
Old 8th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think it's AFX station, because to the left of the X there seems to be an elongated F. Don't know what other letter it could be.
Old 8th October 2020
Gear Nut

My guess is a Bass Station II with AFX designed presets and AFX microtuning tables preinstalled. Re-skinned to include the shift functions etc. Might be a new updated firmware too but I'm going to say not.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloompegs View Post
My guess is a Bass Station II with AFX designed presets and AFX microtuning tables preinstalled. Re-skinned to include the shift functions etc. Might be a new updated firmware too but I'm going to say not.
As much as I like RDJ, this would be pretty disappointing to me. At minimum I would want some CV functionality.
Old 8th October 2020
Lives for gear

whatever it's going to be, i hope it will have pads, not keys.
Deleted e86dc22
I dont really care if its endorsed or designed by harry secombe or jimmy saville but a novation xstation controller that can spit out microtonal cv and midi for control of any device would be cool.

The world is missing a midi controller keyboard / sequencer that spits out microtonal midi / cv and can turn any synth wonky.
Old 8th October 2020
Gear Maniac

What about both? Kind of boring AFX (Bass) Station reskin AND Circuit 2... These days teaser and leaked pics are analyzed down to their subpixels (as we could see here ), so they just tease AFX Station to get the buzz and then causally also drop Circuit 2 like it was some random coincidence...
Old 8th October 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It will be a major disappointment.
Old 8th October 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Whatever, don't buy anything until the 20th just in case
Old 8th October 2020
Lives for gear

If it is a Circuit 2 they have my money. Love my CMS, it is never going anywhere but I have been looking at my Circuit mk1 recently and it has become the least essential part of my setup. If it could do more though...............
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids View Post
As much as I like RDJ, this would be pretty disappointing to me. At minimum I would want some CV functionality.
If there is a hardware update on the cards CV outs would make the BSII a serious contender for world's greatest reasonably priced analogue monosynth.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotcha View Post
It will be a major disappointment.
like the morodernova, flashy new clothes and some presets. bloody expensive used. you can get the presets when you buy a new standard MN anyway.
📝 Reply