The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
October 2020 New Gear Thread
Old 7th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudinthenight View Post
Vent time.... Well I guess my impulse-buy Monologue wasn't meant to be... UPS "delivered" a phantom package to my house yesterday.
Meaning it showed "out for delivery" until 8pm, then it suddenly changed to "delivered at 11:35am, left at garage" with no trace of the package or UPS truck on my security camera all day. Funny thing is that we got a different delivery from UPS at 1:30pm.

Signed by "DRIVER RELEASE" which probably means the driver thought it was a neat package to keep for himself?

Anyway, I'll file a complaint with Amazonif it doesn't show up today but probably just get a refund because there are no more "renewed" models in stock, which saved me $100. Maybe they'll send a new one to replace it though.
Yeah, I'd call UPS and rip them a new one. I'd even mention you have security footage of the non-event.
Old 7th October 2020
Lives for gear

Geez, I am already reporting my forth october buy. Ran into these very cheap expanded ram for the Fantom X, MC909, MV8000 etc. on eBay. Should get me a little further from my 272 mb ram to 400 mb, including the internal 16 mb. I have read about these ram, which go beyond the offcial supported formats and limits, but never seen them on sale in Europe. They were quite cheap too. Hope they work as intended.

Old 7th October 2020
Gear Guru

Probably the wrong way to think of them, but I look at these two and think "this is Elektron workflow designed for modular synthesis". I'm thinking about selling my Elektrons to offset the cost some.

Old 8th October 2020
Sold a few things, but they are being replaced...

Im in on the P10 pre-order does that count?

Also just ordered this today...

Old 8th October 2020
Lives for gear

Ordered a pair o'these today. I'll finally have REAL monitors.

Old 8th October 2020
Lives for gear

Ordered with my eBay Bucks:

- a Stardust Cover for my Jupiter-8 so I can use the other cover on another keyboard
- a DIN sync adapter cable because my DSX was acting up again and I wanted to rule out the DMX sending a bad clock - I'd use the Analog Rytm DIN sync out to test

But it was just another wire in the DSX needing a rework. It's working again, but my old Radio Shack soldering station stopped heating up and I had to use my Hakko 808 desoldering tool to solder. So:

- a new soldering station (Ungar UTC SS, which should use the same tips I have lying around)
- another tip for the Hakko

So with this new cable, I've just opened myself up to buying a drum machine that uses DIN sync the next time eBay Bonus Bucks rolls around and one appears on the market for a non-stupid price.
Old 8th October 2020
Lives for gear

Wow. Look what arrived today. Didn't know she was all metal, man. Thought the chasis was plastic like my Nord Lead 2, but nay, she is a heavy little tank. Sounds great, but I have some to-do list with this one. It is very nerdy and will take a lot of time to get around. Just gave her a corona-cleansing with some spirit. Also vacuum cleaned her knobs because the store-knob was a little sluggish. Now it is fine. Next step is to test the editor(s) and see if I shall make use of my mac or pc for editing. Finally, we shall find her a nice spot in the studio. For 403 euro, it really feels like a steal. Could not afford such things in 1998. I am all smiling now....it may partly be due to madness, but it is a lovely ride nevertheless.

Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by IncarnateX View Post
Wow. Look what arrived today. Didn't know she was all metal, man. Thought the chasis was plastic like my Nord Lead 2, but nay, she is a heavy little tank. Sounds great, but I have some to-do list with this one. It is very nerdy and will take a lot of time to get around. Just gave her a corona-cleansing with some spirit. Also vacuum cleaned her knobs because the store-knob was a little sluggish. Now it is fine. Next step is to test the editor(s) and see if I shall make use of my mac or pc for editing. Finally, we shall find her a nice spot in the studio. For 403 euro it really feels like a steal. COuld not afford such things in 1998. I am all smiling now....it may partly be due to madness, but it is a lovely ride nevertheless.

So is this the last purchase for a while then IncarnateX?

I really wanted one of these back in the day. Now I gotta fight the urge to buy an optigan.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
No hope
Bob Hope
Stanford Le Hope
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
Yeah, I'd call UPS and rip them a new one. I'd even mention you have security footage of the non-event.
I called Amazon and got a refund. Still no box.... and no more renewed monologues in stock for $100 off either.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Erm, not really, because right after, I bought a behringer MS101 just to fill the last spot on my keyboard stand.

Quote:
Now I gotta fight the urge to buy an optigan.
A what? Had to YT that, and I am not sure I believe my eyes and even less my ears. For real?
Quote:
Ah, not really, because right after, I bought a behringer MS101 just to fill the last spot on my keyboard stand.

A what? Had to YT that, and I am not sure I believe my eyes and even less my ears. For real?
It is otherworldly... However its been done(in lots of releases), and I have MTron which is in most ways better than the real thing.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow. Look what arrived today. Didn't know she was all metal, man. Thought the chasis was plastic like my Nord Lead 2, but nay, she is a heavy little tank.
You mean the later Nords are plastic? That's disappointing. My only Nords are the G1 keyboard and the micromodular, both of which are rigid metal, so I was figuring all Nords were like that.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
You mean the later Nords are plastic?
Can only say that Nord Lead 2 is hard plast. It makes sense for such a gig-keyboard, though, because if she was made of the same stuff as the modular, it would be very heavy.
Lives for gear

Quote:

I really wanted one of these back in the day. Now I gotta fight the urge to buy an optigan.
I had an optigan and it’s trash and a headache, imho. There, I fixed your urge. Appropriate for the other thread “gear you threw in the trash,” optigans belong in the dumpster.
Old 8th October 2020
Many thanks kslight. The words optigan and 'built like a tank' never share a sentence... It would certainly be a conversation piece, but I think the conversation would largely consist of my wife asking why I have that ****ty organ in my music room...
Old 8th October 2020
Lives for gear

So here is the culmination of my sluttiness over the last 4 weeks...

Behringer Go Eurorack Case + Modules
Analog Rytm Mkii Black
Strymon Big Sky + Timeline
Erica Synths Zen Delay
Eventide Space
Ar12c mixer
Craigslist Old Tinker Toys Stand (now known as Jaspers but this one is like 20+ years old lol)
3x Suono Buono nABC

Anyway I made this live laptopless / dalwess / whateverless rig so I can just play live. Here's a remix of wicked game with the featured gear:

Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiko View Post
So here is the culmination of my sluttiness over the last 4 weeks...

Behringer Go Eurorack Case + Modules
Analog Rytm Mkii Black
Strymon Big Sky + Timeline
Erica Synths Zen Delay
Eventide Space
Ar12c mixer
Craigslist Old Tinker Toys Stand (now known as Jaspers but this one is like 20+ years old lol)
3x Suono Buono nABC

Anyway I made this live laptopless / dalwess / whateverless rig so I can just play live. Here's a remix of wicked game with the featured gear:

Ahhhh!

You’re the guy with that Gif on Reddit, right?

Glad your enjoying yourself. Do you mind walking through your setup?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoTheMu View Post
Ahhhh!

You’re the guy with that Gif on Reddit, right?

Glad your enjoying yourself. Do you mind walking through your setup?
Yeah this just a copy paste from last time someone asked:

Sure! It’s basically set up as a 4-track stereo performance station. It’s this:

Digitone Keys - Master Sequencer & Clock

Midi out of digitone keys into a Kenton-12 midi thru. From there, midi in to everything. So that’s how everything is getting sequences.

Stereo Track 1 - Drums:

MPC Live audio out into Analog Rytm

Stereo Track 2 - Eurorack Modular:

This is dedicated to Midi channel 1 from digitone keys. Audio from modular is routed through an Erica synths delay and eventide space reverb.

Stereo Track 3 - Behringer Poly D

This is dedicated to Midi channel 2 on the digitone keys. Audio is routed through a strymon timeline and big sky.

Stereo track 4 - Multi Synth (Korg XD audio into Digitone Keys, audio into Analog 4)

Korg XD is dedicated to midi track 3 of the digitone and the analog 4 is dedicated to midi track 4 of digitone keys. Obviously, the digitone keys has its own 4 channels of dedicated playability.

Those 4 stereo outputs are routed into the mixer and everything is just improv’d on the fly. Hopefully that explains everything well enough! Lmk if you got any questions!
Old 9th October 2020 | Show parent
Quote:

Holy hell, Miiko, that sounded amazing!
Old 9th October 2020
Lives for gear

October 2020 New Gear Thread-tr_8s.jpg

TR-8S is here and I can can now return to my regular techno programming... lol

Don't mind the cable mess...
Attached Thumbnails
October 2020 New Gear Thread-tr_8s.jpg  
Lives for gear

Quote:
Many thanks kslight. The words optigan and 'built like a tank' never share a sentence... It would certainly be a conversation piece, but I think the conversation would largely consist of my wife asking why I have that ****ty organ in my music room...
What you really want is the Panoptigan.

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlaker View Post
Holy hell, Miiko, that sounded amazing!
Thanks Westlaker, that's super nice of you. Of course, all I can hear are the mistakes So it's nice to hear things like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotunes View Post
What you really want is the Panoptigan.
Fortunately the 4000US price has mostly kept me away from that piece of gear. I would love to have one if they could get it down to the 1500 or so mark...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fortunately the 4000US price has mostly kept me away from that piece of gear. I would love to have one if they could get it down to the 1500 or so mark...
That's just weird. I never thought the sound was really worth it.

My gran had an Optigan and it was big and bulky and I have no clue what happened to it when she passed. I did love trying out all the discs, though. When I was 12.
Old 9th October 2020
I like how its limited bandwidth and its not just a really bad(and hissy) tape. Sure there is noise and can have similar crackles to vinyl, but its a more focused form of lofi that is hard to get otherwise. I also really liked some of the guitar discs (3/4 and 4/4 were pretty cool) I took some optigan loops and made a beat that I thought turned out pretty well:

Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I was about to sell some gear, and instead I bought this.

I've got absolutely no self-control.
I have a sad: It's here, it's plugged in, and one of the function buttons doesn't work at all. So pretty much useless. Why does Roland gear have to age so poorly? I'm not looking forward to shipping this back, and my luck with Roland is making me rethink having a Fantom G as a centerpiece. It's like depending on a ticking timebomb.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah this just a copy paste from last time someone asked:

Sure! It’s basically set up as a 4-track stereo performance station. It’s this:

Digitone Keys - Master Sequencer & Clock

Midi out of digitone keys into a Kenton-12 midi thru. From there, midi in to everything. So that’s how everything is getting sequences.

Stereo Track 1 - Drums:

MPC Live audio out into Analog Rytm

Stereo Track 2 - Eurorack Modular:

This is dedicated to Midi channel 1 from digitone keys. Audio from modular is routed through an Erica synths delay and eventide space reverb.

Stereo Track 3 - Behringer Poly D

This is dedicated to Midi channel 2 on the digitone keys. Audio is routed through a strymon timeline and big sky.

Stereo track 4 - Multi Synth (Korg XD audio into Digitone Keys, audio into Analog 4)

Korg XD is dedicated to midi track 3 of the digitone and the analog 4 is dedicated to midi track 4 of digitone keys. Obviously, the digitone keys has its own 4 channels of dedicated playability.

Those 4 stereo outputs are routed into the mixer and everything is just improv’d on the fly. Hopefully that explains everything well enough! Lmk if you got any questions!
Cool setup and awesome rendition of a classic song. Eventually I'll need a midi patchbay, but in the meantime I'm using a mixer (yes mixer).

It's a mid 80s 4 channel TOA D-4 rack mixer w/ 1 midi in and 4 thru. Marketed as an electronic mixer. They have an expander which adds 6 more channels and 4 more thrus.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tales41 View Post
It's a mid 80s 4 channel TOA D-4 rack mixer
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I have a sad: It's here, it's plugged in, and one of the function buttons doesn't work at all. So pretty much useless.
Who was the arse who sold you a non-functioning unit? At Denmark's local second hand market, we have something called NEM-IDE validation. We are simply registered at the site with our person-numbers and proof of identity. I only buy from validated sellers, and it is really nice, because those who register themselves are the honest folks who just like good and fast deals. If I send someone money, I know he will send the ware and it is working as described. You do not have a similar system?
📝 Reply