The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10
Old 4th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

The prophet-6 desktop is a decently large module - doesn’t fit in a rack - even with miniature prophet knobs.

These Rev4 knobs look like the original size. If the Rev4 module uses the same knobs and maintains a knob per function ethos, isn’t the Rev4 module going to be gigantic?

Or is the desktop version the place to violate the vintage aspect and make it smaller scale?

For example, the main section of the Rev4 panel, minus the left side modulation, is 4.5 octaves wide.

Here’s one attempt:
https://reverb.com/item/17334180-stu...t-5-w-midi-i-o
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfr0sty View Post
For the uneducated is there a simple explanation/difference between all the prophet versions? i.e. 5, 6, 8, 10, 12...

Is it the same sound, but just higher number of voices?
There are prophets I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone, and some remain
All these prophets had their moments
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfr0sty View Post
For the uneducated is there a simple explanation/difference between all the prophet versions? i.e. 5, 6, 8, 10, 12...

Is it the same sound, but just higher number of voices?
This might help a bit:

https://yo41t1y5gos9jw8f3lptw0xo-wpe...-Chart-5.1.pdf
Old 4th October 2020
tok
Lives for gear

Honestly while I'm getting the 5 because that's all i'll ever need

The 10 voice crowd should be proud of that nameplate - moreover they should even be condescending to other prophet owners to some degree...at least a little smug about it. I mean because that is one bad beast and the full realization of the vision of the original prophet

so keep that prophet 10 nameplate!!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
There are prophets I'll remember
All my life, though some have changed
Some forever, not for better
Some have gone, and some remain
All these prophets had their moments
In my life, I can't afford them all.
Old 4th October 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearteh View Post
My guess.

Prophet 5 reissue with new added things.
Namm2019 thread. A pretty good guess, just one year late

This could be both the best sounding and best looking synth imo, and finally an engineer that understands and value the importance of imperfections.
Old 4th October 2020
Lives for gear

If only Roland would do this with the Jupiter 4.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
On the Rev 3.3 P-5, you can enter a special tuning mode which turns the middle row of 12 potentiometers into tuners for 12 pitches. You can detune each pitch +/- 50 cents to create 12-tone microtunings such as Just Intonation, Pythagorean, Werckmeister III (my personal favorite for neo/Baroque grooves ). You then save this as a “tuning patch” and exit tuning mode. This new tuning will remain in effect until you either change it by calling up another tuning patch or by powering down the machine. The Prophet always starts up in Equal Temperament.

By "64 slots" I assume cbmd means there will be 64 "tuning patches" available to hold tuning data. This would be a nice change from the old system where you need to sacrifice a patch memory in order to store tuning data.
Thank you. Makes sense. ... Makes me wonder about having 1 cent gradation. But that may likely make microtonal setup a drag.

Speaking of neo Baroque grooves, as a piano player, do you prefer weighted or synth action for doing that with a polyphonic like Prophet 5?
Old 4th October 2020
Lives for gear

I am really liking the fact that the vintage knob "detunes" the envelopes and not just the VCOs. Things like that make all the difference in emulating a vintage synth. That plus the fact that they're using per-voice offsets instead of "random drift" which just emulates a faulty VCO circuit rather than the way they "drift" in real life.

Perhaps it was mentioned in an earlier post, but does the vintage knob also offset the oscillator tracking? This is another vintage characteristic that is rarely if ever emulated in modern synth "slop/vintage" modes.

I hope, now that it's been implemented in a hardware synth, that it will start appearing in more. Like future Sequential products (like a future OB-6 successor?) We could finally give the Tom Sawyer sweep some justice.

Last edited by kpatz; 4th October 2020 at 03:54 PM..
Lives for gear

Academically, it would be really interesting to hear the slop knob of a Prophet-6 be swapped with Vintage Knob code. Could be a real eye opener.

This sounds a bit silly, but who among you would pay for a “vintage upgrade” to your Prophet-6? A $149 firmware swap for slop vs vintage knob control? Would cause a huge uproar, but a fun idea.

How wild would it be if 10 yrs of “slop research” resulted in a real vintage perception difference with a firmware download?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
Curious to know how stable the tuning is in that double-manual 10 of yours. How is it in terms of maintenance?

I thought the 10s still had the overheating issues etc. Did you ever have a problem?
The tuning is solid. Normally, I will only need to hit the auto-tune button two or three times per session. It’s not perfect, though, mind you. It’s still got a bit of wonk. But that’s how I like it.

As for issues, thankfully no heat issues on mine. The only thing that no longer functions is the Wafer drive for storing patches and sequences. Also, occasionally, it will “forget” all of the patch memories. I’ll walk into the studio one morning, power it up, and *poof* there go all my patches.

So my tech installed some emergency backup RAM where I can restore any important patches (assuming I saved them in the first place ). It’s kind of a pain, but at least it keeps me from falling into a rut where I’m always playing the same old patches. About once a year, I’m forced to start fresh with a blank slate. On one hand, it’s disheartening, but on the other, it’s exciting.

Regarding maintenance, it’s been about 8 years since the last service. I’d say about twice a decade is all that’s been required for this particular machine. General maintenance like cleaning/adjusting J-wires, etc I do myself about once a year.

Overall, it’s a solid machine.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_A_P View Post
My OB-8 does this at high envelope settings. When the attack exceeds 12 o’clock there is a marked difference in how each filter opens. Up to that point it’s very tight.
Because your machine is not calibrated. Calibrate it, and they will all sound the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
WHAT? Digital envelopes? It is still in question if digital envelopes are always as good as analog ones. And regarding the trained ear thing: you can never be sure your trained ear is as good as the ears of some 18 year old guy who still hears up to 18...20 kHz. So while some developer might think digital envelopes are great, he cannot be sure his ears do capture all the details that some younger guy does. I guess the original does not have digital envelopes, same as the Juno 60. Analog envelopes have a nice organic tone, it is part of the sound.
Envelopes don't have a "tone".They are a function, not a sound source. Roland and Oberheim had snappy digital envelopes locked down in the 80s with the Jupiter-6/MKS-80 and OB-8, respectively. They aren't an issue if done well.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
[I can hear Dave Smith screaming quietly...."Nooo......nooooo.....God Help Me, noooooooo....."]

Has to be all analogue. Maybe a reply to that Kemper thing?

Wait, wait...... oh, @ zerocrossing , ZC, come out, come out, wherever you are.... you have a Kemper thing, wouldn't you just LOVE to hear what a Prophet 10 sounded like through it?!?
The Kemper can’t profile effects like that, in fact the profiling works best when you’re in as acoustically dead space as possible with as little room sound as you can get. Then you can add artificial ambience using its reverb effect, which isn’t a profile thing, it’s algorithmic like a Lexicon reverb is. All the stomp boxes are models. One thing that does work to some degree is putting something like a gain/distortion box in the mix, but I find it better to just use a naked amp and use your own pedal or one of the pedal effects for that.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
This sounds a bit silly, but who among you would pay for a “vintage upgrade” to your Prophet-6? A $149 firmware swap for slop vs vintage knob control? Would cause a huge uproar, but a fun idea.
I am a recent buyer of a P6 (see earlier post in this thread... I opted to keep mine rather than return it), and I would not pay for a feature like that.

What I would pay 50 bucks for is a way to directly map the mod wheel to the cutoff of the LPF instead of having to do the LFO hack.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Limiting the number of voices isn’t simply a question of wanting to play the classics, though. Oftentimes, I will purposefully de-active one or two voices on my Prophets in order to have clean 3-voice or 4-voice chord transitions played with one hand while performing a monophonic line on another synth with the other.

Voice stealing may or may not be apart of the sound design. But in my own work, it very often is.
Agree. And also with voice stealing you end up with a cleaner more defined mix since the notes don't keep on stacking up and sustaining.

I heard all kinds of demos of the P5 and to be honest I was never consciously aware of any note stealing. Its mostly the new notes introduced you pay attention to anyways in the context of a mix. Not saying the 10 wouldn't have its place... my instinct here is to go with the 5 for the kind of stuff I like to do.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
There's no point of stereo outs on a synth with no effects. Chorus, Reverb and other wide effects are what drive synths to go stereo. It wouldn't be a P5 with stereo outs as they'd have to add VCA's to have panning of something and then its a waste without adding fx too and you've opened a major can of worms leading to another even more expensive synth more like piling a P6 on top of a P5 and making a combo of old and new
That’s not necessarily true. The Prophet 6 (and I assume the OB-6 too... not sure) has a voice pan control that will make every new voice come from a different point in the stereo spread. I love it. Adds some great space to even a simple pad with no effects on it, and if you have it in unison mode... magic.

I guess they could have added this... especially to the 10, but I get that putting things like that in start becoming “death by 1000 cuts” to what is supposed to be a Reissue. You end up alienating the people who just want something that’s as close to the original as possible. That’s not me, but I’ve always been super happy with the Prophet 6, and I could always buy another for more voices.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis_13 View Post
Academically, it would be really interesting to hear the slop knob of a Prophet-6 be swapped with Vintage Knob code. Could be a real eye opener.

How wild would it be if 10 yrs of “slop research” resulted in a real vintage perception difference with a firmware download?
I definitely wouldn’t pay $149 for that but they should certainly consider implementing it because the slop doesn’t really give any musically satisfying results and it would boost the appeal of the OB6 and P6.
Old 4th October 2020
Gear Guru

I wonder how much if any of this Prophet 5 DNA is there in the Pro 3..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2k View Post
Fair points - if you're just comparing tone to tone.. the VS-1 is no slouch though.. I'm tempted to order one but think it's wise to hold off until they prove that the thing actually works as a product. The VS-1 doesn't completely punt on stereo either - panning per-voice as well as an integrated analog chorus unit. Again, it may as well all be on paper until they ship the thing but it's really the only synth tone that's excited me this year *UNTIL THIS VIDEO FROM J3P0* - every other Prophet5 demo audio/video should honestly be taken down, none of them sell the sound nearly as well as this one.
Yeah. Brian, as nice as he is, has a terrible history when it comes to consumer aftercare.
Old 4th October 2020
Gear Nut
Maybe it's already been said but what about the people who were criticising UDO Super 6 for having no screen etc but seem to be lusting over this. Ok so Dave Smith just did what Korg did with the Odyssey but didn't deliver an all analogue instrument by using digital envelopes etc.

For the money given that the filter is similar I would take the UDO Super 6 any day of the week. The P5 has just one LFO. And if I was a DSI fan (I did own a Pro 2) then I would get the Prophet 6 over this any day. The P6 was described by Dave Smith at the time as the successor to the P5 (or word to that effect as he really didn't want to do a copy of the P5). I just don't get the rabid lust for this especially when people are saying to get rid of their P6's just to have a P5 badge.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
It’s less than one of @ zerocrossing ’s summer vacations!

[I’m just ribbing him, no worries, gents....]

Our “summer vacation” this year was 3 bikes, which only set us back $1500. Our plan this year was to go to Disneyworld, but that was on my parents’ dime. They want to see their granddaughter there one last time before they’re too old. We did actually buy Cirque du Soleil tickets for everyone, including my sister’s family... I’m not even sure what that set us back, but probably $1500 or so. All of it was cancelled and refunded... we even lost the ability to ride our bikes due to the air quality due to fire. F 2020.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter4 View Post
Maybe it's already been said but what about the people who were criticising UDO Super 6 for having no screen etc but seem to be lusting over this. Ok so Dave Smith just did what Korg did with the Odyssey but didn't deliver an all analogue instrument by using digital envelopes etc.

For the money given that the filter is similar I would take the UDO Super 6 any day of the week. The P5 has just one LFO. And if I was a DSI fan (I did own a Pro 2) then I would get the Prophet 6 over this any day. The P6 was described by Dave Smith at the time as the successor to the P5 (or word to that effect as he really didn't want to do a copy of the P5). I just don't get the rabid lust for this especially when people are saying to get rid of their P6's just to have a P5 badge.
The Super 6 is amazing. Sounds beautiful. It doesn't sound like a Prophet 5. Neither does the Prophet 6. People are lusting after the Prophet 5 Rev 4 because it sounds like a Prophet 5 Rev1, 2 & 3 as well as its own new sonic character.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by recurv View Post
The Super 6 is amazing. Sounds beautiful. It doesn't sound like a Prophet 5. Neither does the Prophet 6. People are lusting after the Prophet 5 Rev 4 because it sounds like a Prophet 5 Rev1, 2 & 3 as well as its own new sonic character.
Only it doesn't according to Dave Smith as all of the Prophet 5's sounded different so they had to decide what the P5 sound was. And when the P6 came out loads of people on here were saying that it sounded like a P5. But this is a sluts forum so this is to be expected.
Quote:
Only it doesn't according to Dave Smith as all of the Prophet 5's sounded different so they had to decide what the P5 sound was. And when the P6 came out loads of people on here were saying that it sounded like a P5. But this is a sluts forum so this is to be expected.
Loads of people on here were delusional if they thought the P6 sounded like a P5, perhaps because they wanted it to, or they couldn't hear the difference. Some of those people are now selling their P6. Others are resisting that urge, but my guess is many more will follow suit.

As I mentioned, the Rev4 sounds like a Rev1, 2 & 3 as well as its own new sonic character, which is why this one ticks so many boxes for so many.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hnny View Post
..the slop doesn’t really give any musically satisfying results..
That is, to be honest, a somewhat exaggerated statement.

The slop at 9-10 o’clock (slightly less on the OB-6) is all it takes to move your music from ear cutting to ear soothing!

Having said that, I wouldn’t mind the added vintage MOJO of the P-5/P-10 added to the P-6!

Would I pay for that?

You bet.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyf View Post
I don't think anyone with a prophet-6 has anything to worry about ( aside from 49 keys ). Most listeners 99% would not care or notice. I was listening to the INHALT video then one of his Prophet-6 videos came up right after.... My immediate impression was that they sound the same, and that the P6 sounded better due to its effects. More finished "record" sound to it. Just going by the immediate feeling and listening for the joy of it.
I own a Prophet 6 and am very familiar with its sound. INHALT’s demo of the P5 sounds like a completely different synth to me. My P6 can’t do most of those sounds. The P6 is a great synth that can sound roughly like a P5 if you tweak it right, and it can do plenty of great sounds that are all its own. But it is very much not a P5. The P6 has more range, but that makes it a little trickier to dial in. The P5, on the other hand, is like one big sweet spot. It’s basic oscillators also sound so much better to me.

I totally understand why many folks who already own a P6 will want to hold on to them. It’s great in its own right. I, however, have always just wanted mine to be a P5, and that desire has always come up short. These P5 rev4 demos so far sound exactly how I’ve always wished the P6 would sound, quite distinct, so it makes perfect sense to me to swap out for it.
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:

Three words: five octave keyboard.
Prophet 5 wins.
Lives for gear

Some Roland effectors include features that simulate older effectors. The CE-1 mode of the MD-200 I am currently using has an impression that it is very close to a slop.
------------------

New Track
This track is an improvisation.
This track uses chorus(Roland MD-200 CE-1 mode) and reverb.
-------------------

Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
And a long chain of Strymon pedals which masks the bare dry sound...
Listen to the examples Sequential posted to SoundCloud. They are dry, and they sound phenomenal.
Lives for gear
I'm told my P5 ships Monday or Tuesday... hopefully any luck I'll get it by end of week or early next week latest. Good thing I just bought a Jaspers stand but this means I'll have to remove a few things and re-organize to make room! First-world problems...
📝 Reply