The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10
Old 3rd October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrjizer View Post
I picked up both a Pro 3 and Prophet 6 this year. I like them both a lot, and together they pack a ton of firepower/flexibility, but when I saw the P5 announcement it felt like a punch in the gut. Am I absolutely nuts for contemplating selling them both in order to get the P5?

On paper it seems a bad move -- an infinitely flexible modern mono + perfectly nice take on the classic Prophet sound, with some modern bells and whistles... but I'll be damned if I don't keep watching the J3PO and Inhalt videos on repeat and thinking "****...."

Someone talk me off the ledge
They're all different. I for one would keep the Pro3 and P6 without question. At the very least, keep the Pro3 and save for the P5. In fact, maybe consider saving for the P5 while making more use of the Pro3 and P6 so that when you have half of the P5 in savings you can make the decision then and maybe keep one rather than selling both. The P5 isn't a limited edition - there's time.

But, I know there's also GAS
Old 3rd October 2020
Lives for gear

Kudos to SCI. Looks and sounds like they really hit this one out of the park.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerErris View Post
The function of the Tune button is to measure the distance of each individual VCO and to calculate the offset to the CV from CPU to VCO.

As explained in the other post, the CPU is constantly (and did this for the original Prophet-5 as well) adjusting the CV from CPU for the given frequency with an offset that is calculated out of the tuning. That should ensure that the VCOs are all in the same tuning.

However the original Prophet 5s had a very limited correction capability based on the available bitdepth at that time. So the were a rought "same" tuning. And this roughness is what we understand as the character.

/Edit: One Note .. Model D has no tuning at all. You have to manually tune the 4 OSC. And they drift as it also does not have any temperature compensation. For a Mono Synth that sounds not too complicated. However for 5 or even 8 voices manual tuning of all the OSC is pretty much painful up to impossible by hand. Until you finished, the first ones changed their tuning.

BTW. The OSC drift of the VCO itself is the same as it was... The chip will drift how much or less it did in the past. So that is still in there and do not need any "Vintage" control.

No - temperatur stabilization has nothing to do with tuning. Tuning is getting all VCOs in the same tuning. At this single point in time, when you tune them.

So in opposition: If you tune your great and really old Vintage Synth right after powering on. Then they will stay in tune for 5 seconds and then drift apart. That is why you turn them on, do nothing for half an hour and then tune them.

Typically after getting warm for a period of time, they will not move anymore and keep pretty much stable (that is also different from each synth and requires at least temperature compensation in the VCO).

What PYM mentioned with the tuning will stay if you do not change condition is exactly that. As long as your room stays at 20°C the tuning will continue to work. But if you change the environment (e.g. hot stage, or cold stage or whatever other condition), then you will need to tune to that condition.

BTW: all of that is basics of tuning and how it works.

I can recommend this great video for better understanding of how tuning works and how the different synth vendors addressed that issue in the dark ages of Synthesis ...

It also explains how you get from a CPU to a CV for the VCO. That might explain a lot better than I am able to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WwX...ature=emb_logo
Ok thanks,I misunderstood Pym's post and thought the new P5 had constant background tuning
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk View Post

Hi woznyc ! just out of curiousity which one are you going for and why? The p5 or p10?
I keep flip-flopping, but I'm leaning towards the 5.
I want that Prophet-5 badge!

I'm also fine playing this instrument with 5 voices as that's
how it's been on thousands of recordings. Bit cheaper as well!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post
Maybe Moog guys will get the hint now and finally start working on reissuing the MM.
IMHO the MM was the baddest ( in the good way)
of the powerhouse analog polys. It’s maintenance issues not withstanding, it had the most thunder, only the Prophet Rev. 2 and the OBX - OBXA came
close. As much of a monster my P-10 was, it still was no MM. I’m not saying it was the best, but it could blast through a wall of concrete. I was really hoping the Moog One was going to capture that.
But Moog went in a different direction. Not that the MO is an inferior machine because it isn’t. It’s a totally different concept. Hopefully Moog will bring
about a new MM.. The sound was truly epic.
Old 3rd October 2020
Lives for gear

These appear to be mono out. Is that the case?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrjizer View Post
I picked up both a Pro 3 and Prophet 6 this year. I like them both a lot, and together they pack a ton of firepower/flexibility, but when I saw the P5 announcement it felt like a punch in the gut. Am I absolutely nuts for contemplating selling them both in order to get the P5?

On paper it seems a bad move -- an infinitely flexible modern mono + perfectly nice take on the classic Prophet sound, with some modern bells and whistles... but I'll be damned if I don't keep watching the J3PO and Inhalt videos on repeat and thinking "****...."

Someone talk me off the ledge
What matters most to you, flexibility and tonal variety, or a better tone overall but less options? That is what it boils down to....to me that is. Like I said, I am just some idiot in an internet forum.

Go play it somewhere when some local shop has one, then decide.

or wait for Nick Batt to get his hands on one.

REALLY THOUGH, WHY HAS NICK BATT NOT RECEIVED ONE FOR REVIEW?

(only joking with the all caps, not really screaming....but man oh man is he the perfect balace of informative, and pleasant sound making when it comes to reviewing/demoing synths)
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post
What matters most to you, flexibility and tonal variety, or a better tone overall but less options? That is what it boils down to....to me that is. Like I said, I am just some idiot in an internet forum.

or wait for Nick Batt to get his hands on one.

REALLY THOUGH, WHY HAS NICK BATT NOT RECEIVED ONE FOR REVIEW?

(only joking with the all caps, not really screaming....but man oh man is he the perfect balace of informative, and pleasant sound making when it comes to reviewing/demoing synths)
Surely one is on its way to him
and another to Gordon Reid for SOS.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamstan View Post
No, you're right. And AFAIK that early P10 was monotimbral. I remember reading that actually original Prophet synthesizer was meant to be 10 voice, but since it was overheating and unstable, they removed half of the voices, thus creating P5. Ii think I've also read that some of the rev.1 P5 were actually converted from 10.

And later they built the more famous dual-manual bitimbral P10.

It seems that P10 reissue is a nod to that first prototype.

To the best of my knowledge the Prophet synthesizer was originally meant to be 5-voice but with the option of 5 extra voices. IIRC the first unit or two ordered were actually 10-voice Prophet's. One of the first buyers was Patrick Gleeson and he ordered two P10's (Dan Wyman of sound arts in LA also had two P10s). A total of some half a dozen single keyboard P10's were sold.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post
I tend to buy from Perfect Circuit. No tax (unless you're in California), free shipping and you can get a 10% off coupon just for asking. This would make a new Prophet-5 come out to $3,149 shipped. Not too bad.
Never ordered from them. Next time I need to order some gear I will use them and see if I get taxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTBatmaN View Post
Ok thanks,I misunderstood Pym's post and thought the new P5 had constant background tuning
As long as it does not make that tuning noise the Korg Monologue does.....that gets annoying.

I doubt any DSI (Sequential) gear would be like that.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
These appear to be mono out. Is that the case?
yes
Old 3rd October 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

it's not listed yet on Thomann.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATOSFEAR View Post
IMHO the MM was the baddest ( in the good way)
of the powerhouse analog polys. It’s maintenance issues not withstanding, it had the most thunder, only the Prophet Rev. 2 and the OBX - OBXA came
close. As much of a monster my P-10 was, it still was no MM. I’m not saying it was the best, but it could blast through a wall of concrete. I was really hoping the Moog One was going to capture that.
But Moog went in a different direction. Not that the MO is an inferior machine because it isn’t. It’s a totally different concept. Hopefully Moog will bring
about a new MM.. The sound was truly epic.
They have already brought out the MM-7000.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Moog-MM7000TACAN-Brochure.pdf (5.40 MB, 48 views)

Last edited by Somebodyperson; 3rd October 2020 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: Sorry, couldn't resist.
Lives for gear

I'm glad they didn't include onboard effects, but I wouldn't have gotten mad about an arpeggiator or bi-timbrality on the Prophet 10.
Old 3rd October 2020
Lives for gear

It’s got cv
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
it's not listed yet on .
It is.

https://www.thomann.de/gr/sequential_prophet_10.htm

Last edited by OurDarkness; 3rd October 2020 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: added the link
Old 3rd October 2020
Deleted b5e2891
I about lost it when i saw the ad from Oct 1st. Was looking at Prophet 5 prices and wondering how I could afford one even considering some other premium ploy synths. My problem is that I have bought and sold two DSI synths after getting excited when I saw them but in the end my ears couldn't love them. I am trying to objectively listen to this synth in the couple of youtube videos but my adrenalin is so high I can't even wrap my brain around whether it sounds like a rev 2 or 3.

if anyone gets one please post lots of clips.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post

OK enough with the crap, time to dance.

Prophet 5 in action:

For the Price you buy for a new Prophet10 i can buy 3x Korg Prologue 16.

So you have than,

48 Voices with tricky Midi Organisation

Up to 18 Oscillators at once without Unison and digital Oscillators with lots Custom Stuff

Up to 6 independent Sounds (Main/Sub Timbre)

3 Arpegiators

3 Independent Effectprozessors

Far more interesting Sounds, because of the Prolougs Filtercharacteristics and the Digital Engine.

3x Stereo Output
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapo200 View Post
For the Price you buy for a new Prophet10 i can buy 3x Korg Prologue 16.

So you have than,

48 Voices with tricky Midi Organisation

Up to 18 Oscillators at once without Unison and digital Oscillators with lots Custom Stuff

Up to 6 independent Sounds (Main/Sub Timbre)

3 Arpegiators

3 Independent Effectprozessors

Far more interesting Sounds, because of the Prolougs Filtercharacteristics and the Digital Engine.
Go ahead.
Old 3rd October 2020
Lives for gear

And no p10
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just run a search and it did not show it

https://m.thomann.de/ie/search.html?q=prophet%205
Old 3rd October 2020
Lives for gear

It’s less than one of @ zerocrossing ’s summer vacations!

[I’m just ribbing him, no worries, gents....]
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz View Post
I just run a search and it did not show it

https://m.thomann.de/ie/search.html?q=prophet%205
I see you use a mobile. From your own search, if you click on the proper link:

https://m.thomann.de/ie/sequential_p...rch=1601755544

it's right there.

The 10 is there, as well.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Rob Lowe View Post
It’s got cv
Speaking of which, I wonder if the CV/GATE outputs on the new Prophets will work like the old ones—that is, with last note priority but without jumping back to any held notes and re-triggering the GATE. I find this style of last note priority best for layering a monosynth on top of a polysynth.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very general question: if you had to complement the Moog Minimoog Model D with a poly, would it be Sequential or Oberheim? Which one gels better tonal-wise to the Mini?
The keyboard that suits best the Moog is... a Fender Rhodes :D
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinw View Post
The keyboard that suits best the Moog is... a Fender Rhodes :D
Well, lovely as the Rhodes might be... I'm more into stuff.

I do have to admit though, that Rhodes --> phaser --> a bit of tape delay --> glorious.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebodyperson View Post

I tend to lean towards the latter in hardware, since I prefer to keep a small studio and usually am reaching to software regardless to fill out the edges in terms of sounds/FX (or at the very least to multi-track and/or resample).

Unfortunately, shop visits are not in the cards for me as I and my partner are fairly high-risk for the 'rona, and my state (GA) has been doing very poorly for the last 6 months.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTBatmaN View Post
Good price, too. I was expecting worse--you know, the usual EU double punch.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
It's the usual 1 Dollar = 1 Euro game.

https://www.thomann.de/de/sequential_prophet_10.htm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Yea, the euro got stronger/dollar got weaker by a significant amount in the last few months afaik
So Baloran in November, Prophet-10 in december it is
📝 Reply