The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

I am a lucky owner of P6 and OB6 desktops. wonderful synths, though I also think that the knobs are a bit tiny.
it is sometimes difficult (but not impossible) to dial in little values.
it seems that the same are used for the p5/p10 modules, so i can understand the complaints with the knobs.

positive note : i upgraded my ob6 with big knobs purshased from a 3rd party dealer.
although now graphics are a little bit coverded, experience is improved for sure!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

So in my earlier thread I mentioned that I wasn't able to develop a connection to the Prophet 10. There was just something missing. As if I wasn't being inspired. Honestly, I thought something was wrong with me since I've been seeing all of these new owners just loving this synth, and then there's me feeling like the outlier.

Well, I finally figured out what was missing. Effects! After adding reverb I can't tell you enough how much different I feel about this synth. It's almost necessary for the P10 to have reverb. The sound is spacious and FAT! Like WOW FAT! Your soul just jumps into the synth while you play.

Although, I am kind of bummed that I need effects in order to enjoy this masterpiece of a synth. It's like a perfectly created human walking around saying "I need drugs to feel good." The perfectly created Prophet 10 needs effects to not only sound good, but to also feel good.

Oh well.... this is exactly how Dave meant it to be. And with that being said I plan on keeping the Prophet 10. Anyone struggling to be inspired or connect to the P10 then hook it up to a nice reverb effect and see if that don't change the inspiration or connection.

SIDE NOTE: Last night as I was playing I got to thinking, because of the low light setting in my room, how cool would it be if the silver notches on the top of the knobs illuminated red? This would make sound creation so much easier since visibility would be perfect. But would also make this synth light up like the king it is. And to take it a step further.... if the number values on the panel below the knobs only lit up if the notch were on that value. I guess that's my creative mind kicking in. Wishful thinking too!

Last edited by mjaestewart; 5 days ago at 08:29 PM.. Reason: spell correction
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaestewart View Post
SIDE NOTE: Last night as I was playing I got to thinking, because of the low light setting in my room, how cool would it be if the silver notches on the top of the knobs illuminated red? This would make sound creation so much easier since visibility would be perfect. But would also make this synth light up like the king it is. And to take it a step further.... if the number values on the panel below the knobs only lit up if the notch were on that value. I guess that's my creative mind kicking in. Wishful thinking too!
A little luminescent paint and a black light and there you have it.

Paint the numbers too and then add a windowed skirt to the knobs, and you'll get the light-up numbers you want too.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
A little luminescent paint and a black light and there you have it.

Paint the numbers too and then add a windowed skirt to the knobs, and you'll get the light-up numbers you want too.
Definitely not a bad idea!! Let me look into doing that. Sounds like a cool custom project.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

I’ve been messing around with bass sounds and am pleasantly surprised at how good and easy the P5R4 is at big fat Moog bass sounds. With unison set to two or three and some slight detune you can well simulate classic 3 osc model D basses!

I’m curious what other users mean when they say the P5 can’t do Pro-1 bass?
Gear Nut

Can you post your settings for creating the bass you made? I'll tell you if it's Moog fat or not.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Ok will do tomorrow when I’m back in the lab.

Haven’t A/B’d it with my Voyager yet and I don’t expect it to handle all the low end a real 3 osc Moog bass can handle but like I said I was pleasantly surprised by the bite and weight. Again the key is to fake the third osc with unison and detuning. Mess with the envelopes to get it to bounce right.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post

Haven’t A/B’d it with my Voyager yet and I don’t expect it to handle all the low end a real 3 osc Moog bass can handle but like I said I was pleasantly surprised by the bite and weight. Again the key is to fake the third osc with unison and detuning. Mess with the envelopes to get it to bounce right.
Cool! I was just messing around and was able to get a pretty close sounding Moog synth bass sound, as well as a really nice low-end bass sound.

I'll have to post the results... maybe a youtube video or audio file posted somewhere.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

My P5 just arrived. As a P6 owner, I'm a bit blown away by how different it sounds in person. Mines in the "Dark Prophet" S/N range. Wood looks incredible, imo.

Question for someone who knows: If I bought a P5 from Perfect Circuit with a S/N affected by the capacitor problem, it should have been fixed before I got it, right? Because mine does not sound dark relative to my P6.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude View Post
I bought a BigSky to go along with this thing. It's somewhat dry sounding to my spoiled ears but the BigSky really widens it a LOT.
I find the P5 to be the dryest of all my synths and it absolutely loves ALL delay & reverb whereas some of my other poly analogs sound less dry but are more picky about which delay & reverb they are matched with.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I took the daughtercard (voice card) out of my Prophet 10. I much prefer it as a 5 due to the note cancelling (stealing). (no I'm not selling it).

After playing it for 24 hours I prefer it as a 5. Plays much like the Prophet 5r3 I once owned.

I'm ready for your flames - come on guys! Bring the heat. Let's hear those fervent opinions from your bedroom in your parents basement!

That all being said, I do plan on re-installing the card should Sequential make a firmware update with a voice defeat option like the Original Prophet 5 and 10. I do recognize the value of having 20 VCO's singing in UNISON mode. But I'm not going to be playing Chopin Prelude is C#m or the Grand Waltz Brilliante so 5 note polyphony is just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10-63219801965__bcc07f21-173f-4752-9b18-fc5df6e010ac.jpg  
Did you see this?

Gear Maniac

yes it was posted previously in this thread.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station2station View Post
I took the daughtercard (voice card) out of my Prophet 10. I much prefer it as a 5 due to the note cancelling (stealing). (no I'm not selling it).
GEARSLUTZ: Bro this is like taking the plugs out of 6 cylinders in your Bugatti.

ME: I’m so doing this tonight
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Machinery View Post
My P5 just arrived. As a P6 owner, I'm a bit blown away by how different it sounds in person. Mines in the "Dark Prophet" S/N range. Wood looks incredible, imo.

Question for someone who knows: If I bought a P5 from Perfect Circuit with a S/N affected by the capacitor problem, it should have been fixed before I got it, right? Because mine does not sound dark relative to my P6.
Mine from Detroit Modular was also in the affected SN range but was part of a batch that was recalled back to Sequential to have the caps removed before being dispatched back out to retailers.

Of course being paranoid I did verify that the caps were cleanly removed. Which they were.

You could always contact Sequential and inquire about your specific serial number if you don’t want to check. It’s pretty simple to check on the 5. The 10 requires removing the daughter board to see where the caps were. This could be problematic in a dry environment without proper ESD precautions. I used a grounded mat and wrist strap when checking my 10. Not sure how sensitive components in daughter board are but why take a chance. ESD can be insidious and do damage that isn’t immediately apparent.

Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
They aren't on mine, and I don't think there've been any complaints so far.
On your what?
Gear Nut

Quote:
...I'm not going to be playing Chopin Prelude is C#m or the Grand Waltz Brilliante so 5 note polyphony is just fine.
I only need 5 to play Jump.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post

That was my feeling too... I felt no need to hang on to any of my Minimoogs (I had a 1972 and a reissue) to be honest... the Prophet actually has more of the sounds I like.

Minimoog is cool, it does a handful of sounds really well... I hardly ever used mine in 3 osc mode it was heavy enough with just one or 2 oscs... in fact was always surprised how thick one osc was. But I really prefer the Odyssey, Really it was all about the player more than the instrument with these monosynths... George Duke sounded amazing on the ARP Odyssey back in 1973 on Flora Purim's Butterfly Dreams LP for instance (the track Light as a Feather has an amazing Oddysey solo for instance..

P5 and unison/chord on a key stacking all the way.. instant Joe Zawinul vibe :D

Oh and the aftertouch is a great addition for us synth solo guys... actually gives it Arp Prosoloist like expression.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefunk View Post
That was my feeling too... I felt no need to hang on to any of my Minimoogs (I had a 1972 and a reissue) to be honest... the Prophet actually has more of the sounds I like.

Minimoog is cool, it does a handful of sounds really well... I hardly ever used mine in 3 osc mode it was heavy enough with just one or 2 oscs... in fact was always surprised how thick one osc was. But I really prefer the Odyssey, Really it was all about the player more than the instrument with these monosynths... George Duke sounded amazing on the ARP Odyssey back in 1973 on Flora Purim's Butterfly Dreams LP for instance (the track Light as a Feather has an amazing Oddysey solo for instance..

P5 and unison/chord on a key stacking all the way.. instant Joe Zawinul vibe :D

Oh and the aftertouch is a great addition for us synth solo guys... actually gives it Arp Prosoloist like expression.
I have the Karp Oddy and love its ragged sound, but also love the Mini RI - a one osc filtered saw bass on it is fantastic and super silky smooth. Aftertouch and velocity were great additions there too. The Pro 1 on the other hand seems to do the hardest bass of them all, so solid! As long as I can afford it, can hear and can play, they’re all staying. 👍
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
Two P-5 modules plus one (or, even better, two) MIDI controllers and you are well on your way to vintage dual manual P-10 functionality.

Even if Sequential doesn’t implement poly-chaining, all is not lost. There are external hardware and software solutions for integrating the two to function as a single instrument via MIDI.

I totally get that most people are happy with the Rev 4 P-10 as it is, but splits, layers, and stereo processing really do open up a lot of possibilities.

I say that not as a “vintage elitist” but rather simply as a synthesist.
Pardon my ignorance, but would I be able to circumvent voice stealing? As if I was using a P10?
Lives for gear

If it's helpful to anyone else, Sequential confirmed that all of Perfect Circuit's stock had been repaired.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurv View Post
On your what?
Prophet 10...?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guigui View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but would I be able to circumvent voice stealing? As if I was using a P10?
If your midi controller supports round robining notes across the two modules it should be able to work just like a P10, more or less.

If you're going to get two modules (or a keyboard and a module), you could get a 5 and a 10, then you have the best of both worlds. 5 voice stealing when you want it, and 10 voices together (or up to 15 total) when you want to.
Old 5 days ago
Kja
Lives for gear
I can't believe that prophet 6 size knobs are considered mini now.. This place is getting crazy.. Next everything will have like five knobs because they need to be the size of frisbees.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:

That all being said, I do plan on re-installing the card should Sequential make a firmware update with a voice defeat option like the Original Prophet 5 and 10.
Use extreme care. During re-insertion you'll need to press down on the solder pads over the four mating connectors in order to get them to mate, and thus you'll make contact with circuitry.

Here's my experience -- Synth was working perfectly in 10-voice mode. Removed the daughterboard, ran the tune routine while in 5-voice mode, played the synth for awhile and then re-installed the daughterboard (all while wearing ESD protection). After powering up the synth, I then found that the daughterboard had stopped responding to the mainboard (that is, voices 6-10 are no longer responding and are acting like they aren't being initialized during boot-up -- their "active" LEDs remain lit continuously, where they normally go out after the synth boots). Running the tune routine results in a hang on voice 1. Clearing the globals, re-installing firmware 1.2 and other attempts to re-initialize things haven't helped. After removing the daughterboard again, everything works fine in 5-voice mode, including the tune routine. I don't have proof it's ESD damage yet but I'm running out of alternative explanations.

I haven't yet engaged Sequential support about this, but have a sinking feeling it is not going to be covered under warranty.

On another topic, the stereo panning circuit board design is progressing nicely and I might even be able to make it small enough to fit in the desktop module as well.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosium View Post
Prophet 10...?
You mean you havent got wobbly pots on your Prophet 10? I was referring to the pots on the P6. Have owned 3 of them, and all of them had wobbly pots. So, seeing the new P5 module using the same pots, was kinda dissapointing. But, judging from the pictures, they might be better fastened to the case.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut
It's odd they didn't put the classic chiclet buttons on the module. That doesn't make sense. The P6 and OB6 have those button styles and those aren't even supposed to be a P5. If any module should have them it would be the P5/10 modules. It's a pretty weird design choice, it looks like there's plenty of room for those style buttons. At least along the bottom row and right side there's tons of space.
Old 4 days ago
“Sequential also announced a new Prophet-10, a ten-voice monotimbral version of the Rev 4, unlike the earlier double-manual bi-timbral Prophet-10” - Wikipedia

Is it monotimbral for 10-voice? NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought it was just like what Moog ONE and vintage P-10 did.

I should change my plan. (Thanks to Wiki for saving my 1K$$$)

By the way it's extremely exciting that Sequential has announced the desktop module.

Really disappointed for the mono timbrality, but Rev4 sounds really shiny just like a vintage. What took you so long Dave!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guigui View Post
In theory, yes. Your MIDI processor (eg MIDIpal/MIDIgal, Max4Live) would distribute Note On messages between the two units such that no voices would get stolen until after the 10th voice was sounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
If you're going to get two modules (or a keyboard and a module), you could get a 5 and a 10, then you have the best of both worlds. 5 voice stealing when you want it, and 10 voices together (or up to 15 total) when you want to.
Having mismatched units could be problematic, though, when layering. One layer would begin to steal after 5 voices, the other after 10. One could work around this (or even use it for special FX) but personally, I'd want matched units 2x 5-voice or 2x 10-voice to avoid more complexity in what would already be a complex rig.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomjab View Post
Mine from Detroit Modular was also in the affected SN range but was part of a batch that was recalled back to Sequential to have the caps removed before being dispatched back out to retailers.

Of course being paranoid I did verify that the caps were cleanly removed. Which they were.

You could always contact Sequential and inquire about your specific serial number if you don’t want to check. It’s pretty simple to check on the 5. The 10 requires removing the daughter board to see where the caps were. This could be problematic in a dry environment without proper ESD precautions. I used a grounded mat and wrist strap when checking my 10. Not sure how sensitive components in daughter board are but why take a chance. ESD can be insidious and do damage that isn’t immediately apparent.

Hi gomjab! I’m in the same boat as you, and like you, I’ve been told that the cap fix was already performed. Sr #130 . Looked around for videos about the cap fix but none of them show the procedure for opening the synth. Since you’ve done it, how does one approach? Remove side panels first? Or go from the underside? Thank you!
📝 Reply