The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10
Old 10th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hey guys!!

Some of you asked to hear what an Oberheim OB-8 sounds like compared to a prophet 5 Rev4.

They are quite different synths. Each does certain things better.
Instead of matching knobs , I made a quick jam with the two, and alternating similar sounds between the both of them.

I also included some Oberheim DMX in the beginning of the video for context.

Which do you prefer?

ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter7508 View Post
Help me out. P10 have been turned on for 30 min. Pressed tuned 3 times. The voices are all over the place (out of tune badly) What have I missed?
What temperature does it display when the tuning begins?

When I first turn on the Prophet-10, it shows a fairly low temperature (like 22C). Once it stabilizes, it is between 41C and 45C. Does your studio space change temperature a fair amount? Does the synth get direct sun? Also, what is your Vintage knob set to?
Old 10th November 2020
Just hit Tune on my P10 (has been on all day- about 12 hours) and 46C was the temp...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Pro Tip: I've noticed that FedEx is at a much higher level of probably of bankruptcy currently than UPS. If you have a choice between the two, whatever your past experience, I suggest you prefer UPS at this point. Lots of negative reports online (not just narrative) about the status of FedEx, both in terms of service, and financially.
Yeah, they're in trouble...

Attached Thumbnails
New Sequential Prophet 5 and 10-fdx-stock.png  
Lives for gear

Quote:
Signs the company is in trouble. They used to be far more reliable. Covid-19, I know, but something more has gone wrong.

Just trying to help; back to Prophet 5/10 happiness and exploration!
FedEx also doesn’t honor insurance claims.,they will take your money to insure an item, but when it arrives broken, you email requested photos, even showing receipt it was packaged at a fedex shipper, they still don’t honor the insurance claim.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javd007 View Post
Hey guys!!

Some of you asked to hear what an Oberheim OB-8 sounds like compared to a prophet 5 Rev4.

Instead of matching knobs , I made a quick jam with the two, and alternating similar sounds between the both of them.

Which do you prefer?

Oh man. I can’t unhear this!!. I’m done. I won’t be happy until I get ... an OB8
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars View Post
FedEx also doesn’t honor insurance claims.,they will take your money to insure an item, but when it arrives broken, you email requested photos, even showing receipt it was packaged at a fedex shipper, they still don’t honor the insurance claim.
Sue them for fraud.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey guys!!

Which do you prefer?

Wow

but you didnt match the brightness. You P5 is always darker here.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Pro Tip: I've noticed that FedEx is at a much higher level of probably of bankruptcy currently than UPS. If you have a choice between the two, whatever your past experience, I suggest you prefer UPS at this point. Lots of negative reports online (not just narrative) about the status of FedEx, both in terms of service, and financially.

Agreed. I did not know the reason, but I have had quite a few problems with Fedex...UPS is always fine for me as is USPS (though not good for shipping larger items as the cost is crazy.)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
Wow

but you didnt match the brightness. You P5 is always darker here.
Is the video fake news? Because the OB8 seems brighter in a good way in the video.
Is that just cause sounds weren’t matched ?
Old 10th November 2020
Lives for gear

Dang... I have an expensive synth coming my way (very slowly) from NY via FedEx. :(
Lives for gear

If anything does happen, you're a short drive away from direct service! Don't worry, your P5/10 will likely be fine....and if not, we got you
Old 10th November 2020
Gear Nut

Hey Folks
Im deciding between the P5 rev 4 and the OB-6. I love the rawness of the oberheim sound, but my heart also love warmness of sequential signature. Any opinions? Thanks!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearyhistory View Post
Hey Folks
Im deciding between the P5 rev 4 and the OB-6. I love the rawness of the oberheim sound, but my heart also love warmness of sequential signature. Any opinions? Thanks!
P5 and the UBXa when it comes out

And then swap the UBXA for a Rev 2 OB if sequential
Ever makes one and you feel the need
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Folks
They both are amazing .

Each does something better than the other .
The Sequential sound and Oberheim sound. Two flavors . You need both . I have both OB 8 and P5. I use them for different things. My preference is the Prophet but the Obie strings and brass are just unreal . Especially in stereo . Whoa . Fat as all hell.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Folks
Have them both. If I had to get rid of one I’d reluctantly ditch the OB6. I say that having barely owned the Rev 4 for any real length of time. I just connected to it quicker than the OB6. Just like I connected to the OB6 much quicker than I did the Prophet 6. All great in different ways. All of this stuff is so subjective.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
P5 and the UBXa when it comes out

And then swap the UBXA for a Rev 2 OB if sequential
Ever makes one and you feel the need
UBXa isn’t a SEM filter. There’s little relation and one is absolutely not an equivalent substitute for the other. I prefer the SEM.

I never had the same reaction to a P5rev2 or 3 as I did the OB-6. Go with that your body tells you is the right one.
Gear Maniac

I got no loose screws in my P10.
The keybed is in the middle section noisy as hell though. Any remedy for this? :-(

Lives for gear

Quote:
The keybead is in the middle section noisy as hell though. Any remedy for this? :-(

That sounds very noisy indeed. What on earth is going on with the QC at Sequential?
ValhallaDSP

I am really surprised at how much I am loving the P10 as a monosynth. I owned a Prophet-5 back in the 90s, and had some unison patches, but those would have between 5 and 10 VCOs going at once. Kinda overkill. With the P10, I can have a simple 2 VCO lead, with TONS of character. I'm using the Rev 1/2 filter, and I can get some very Moog-ish sounds:

I obsessed on that song when I was 7 years old. Not apologizing.
Old 10th November 2020
Lives for gear

@ javd007

hot damn.. the attack, bite, sizzle & presence on the OB-8

kinda makes the P5 rev4 sound really tame in comparison..
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
@ javd007

hot damn.. the attack, bite, sizzle & presence on the OB-8

kinda makes the P5 rev4 sound really tame in comparison..
They need to be level matched, when comparing. The OB is noticably louder.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
That sounds very noisy indeed. What on earth is going on with the QC at Sequential?
If I press my both knees against the middle underside (when the synth is in the stand) the noise is gone.
Lives for gear
Quote:
The keybed is in the middle section noisy as hell though. Any remedy for this? :-(

I have the same issue! Can't seem to figure out where it's coming from or why. Screws are all tight after the decap. Frustrating... ):
Old 10th November 2020
Gear Maniac

Another little issue?
The pots are really squeaky. Not enough lube in there?

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurv View Post
They need to be level matched, when comparing. The OB is noticably louder.
They were level matched .

As an owner of both synths for 15 years, the most difficult thing about playing both at the same time
Is volume matching , they just react very differently to knob changes. We are not comparing two of the same synths.
Tweaking the filter makes the OB-8 suddenly much louder or vice verse. It is very annoying . Same goes for Rev 3 vs OB8. It makes jamming a bit of a pain if you tweak sounds on the fly. However you can see me adjusting the volume to compensate during the video. You may be referring to parts in the video where I didn’t yet correct the volume because I was tweaking or playing . It’s difficult to do all of these things at once while Recording . Just give a video a thumbs down . Cheers
Gear Addict

Quote:

Sounds like they key is rubbing against something, perhaps against the keyguide?

Quote:
If I press my both knees against the middle underside (when the synth is in the stand) the noise is gone.
That would suggest that the wood might have warped which might be hard or impossible to fix. If I were you I would return it and get another one. Of course it could also be a malformed key or keyguide or something different altogether

Actually if I were you I would open it up first to see where the noise is coming from. If there's no obvious cause and fix I would still return it.

Edit: Just noticed the 'when the synth is in the stand' bit. I guess the p5r4 has little rubber feet at the bottom, how many and is there a pair in the middle as well? If there are rubber feet in the middle and it does not make that sound when you place it on a flat desk and all the feet are touching the desk, it would mean that the chassis sags in the middle due to the lack of support in the middle when on the stand (which is resolved when you push it up with your knees). Could still be due to tension in the wood due to warping, or possibly the piece of wood your synth was made from is not rigid enough (too bendy).
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYZ View Post
Sounds like they key is rubbing against something, perhaps against the keyguide?

That would suggest that the wood might have warped which might be hard or impossible to fix. If I were you I would return it and get another one. Of course it could also be a malformed key or keyguide or something different altogether

Actually if I were you I would open it up first to see where the noise is coming from. If there's no obvious cause and fix I would still return it.

Edit: Just noticed the 'when the synth is in the stand' bit. I guess the p5r4 has little rubber feet at the bottom, how many and is there a pair in the middle as well? If there are rubber feet in the middle and it does not make that sound when you place it on a flat desk and all the feet are touching the desk, it would mean that the chassis sags in the middle due to the lack of support in the middle when on the stand (which is resolved when you push it up with your knees). Could still be due to tension in the wood due to warping, or possibly the piece of wood your synth was made from is not rigid enough (too bendy).
The baseplate where the keybed is mounted are made of metal not wood.
The keys are not touching the upper wooden frame.
(Had that issue on my Minmoog reissue)
There are only rubberfeets on the edges. None in the middle. But my synth is not resting on rubberfeets in my stand.

Thx for your input. =)
Awating support from Seq. for now =)

Anyway... it's sounds really good. It looks fantastic. Great woodwork.
Does it sounds as good as my original 3.2? Not really, but close enough: 98%.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hey guys!!

Which do you prefer?

I gotta say the OB8....

I was doing something else while listening to this and every time I thought 'wow that IS good!' I looked back and it was the OB every time. Not sure if it's the extra stereo width or just some magic OB-ness or what.

Last edited by Channelizer; 10th November 2020 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: more words
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelizer View Post
I gotta say the OB8....

I was doing something else while listening to this and every time I thought 'wow that IS good!' I looked back and it was the OB every time. Not sure if it's the extra stereo width or just some magic OB-ness or what.
The OB is brighter and playing simply louder. The P5 seems soft in comparison. No fair matching. But maybe the OB sounds just better, who knows. It seems to have so much organic power, like a true vintage, not surprised. Not to forget 5 voices versus 8.
📝 Reply