The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
experiences with yamaha modx or cp73/88 keybeds?
Old 3 weeks ago
experiences with yamaha modx or cp73/88 keybeds?

I ordered a cp73 then later read a few posts about noisy keys on new Yamahas so now I'm feeling nervous. I saw one YouTube video that showed how loud some of the keys can be, and according to a few posts, it seems to get worse over time.

Have any of you had a modx or cp for a while and NOT had clacky keys? Is it a widespread problem or a batch issue?

I'd sure appreciate hearing your experiences because I might still have time to cancel the order.

Thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict
I just bought the MODX the problem Im having is a noisey USB connection.
Ive tried 7 different usb cables and nothing works.
Whenever I connect with USB I hear a hiss in the sound.

From reading online this seems to be a common problem the the MODX so I may return it. Im pretty pissed because I was having fun with this.
Old 1 week ago
My CP73 order got cancelled anyway, so I have more time to consider my purchase.
That's too bad about the noisy USB connection. I use MIDI so that won't directly affect me, but I'm kind of worried about the build quality overall.
I could go with a Nord Electro but I like the sound of the Yamaha pianos/eps better.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

The CP88 uses the NWGH keybed, where "NW" stands for "natural wood". The CP73 uses the BHS keybed, and "B...S" stands for "all plastic". Or rather, balanced hammer weight, not graded as you go up the octaves. The surfaces of the keys felt different, too. The 88 is much heavier, wooden keys hey.

I know, acoustic piano feel, electric piano feel. To me, they both felt like a digital piano, just that the 88 felt a little nicer. I wasn't tempted to buy one, but I was reminded of the fact that I'd been avoiding my Reface CP.

I've owned the Yamaha P-115 (the GHS keybed, same as in the MODX8, according to its specs) for a while now. So, that's 3 different keybeds in the 3 keyboards you mentioned. My GHS has gotten a little thumpy in the middle octaves, like I should replace the upper felt at some point. I think I remember the felt you could see on a CP being a different color than mine (red/green?), but maybe it's the same exact material otherwise, idk.

My P-115 has been rode hard and put up wet, some rough people around here, so I don't blame the piano so much for the worn felt. I blame my stepbrother and his kid, mostly. It still plays fine, no weak keys, it's not that thumpy so far, and I got it out from under their grubby paws. It's a great value (I got it new, but on a steep discount), whereas the CP73 feels like less of a great value, to me, even though it is nicer than the 115, with much better EP sounds, and an elegant panel with the most useful controls. Eh.
Old 6 days ago
Thanks for your insights! I'm not as worried about the feel of the keys as I am about the noise and construction. Every synth and controller I've owned has felt different, and none of the piano hammer action keybeds I've tried felt like a piano anyway. It seems like every keybed is a new learning curve.

I want lighter action than the CP88 action so I guess the CP73 will do, it doesn't feel terrible. But I've read a number of complaints online about how noisy some of the new Yamaha keybeds are (or will become) on the CP series, the YC61, and on the MODXs. I'm really just hoping it's not a widespread issue.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

I've been shopping a 73 or 76-key DP, and was reading reviews of the CP-73. Keybed noise may be the least of your problems; I'm seeing complaints in a handful of places that the black keys have uneven response, and sometimes won't even trigger if you're playing hard and fast. Something to keep in mind.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belldog View Post
I've been shopping a 73 or 76-key DP, and was reading reviews of the CP-73. Keybed noise may be the least of your problems; I'm seeing complaints in a handful of places that the black keys have uneven response, and sometimes won't even trigger if you're playing hard and fast. Something to keep in mind.
Okay, thanks Belldog. At this point I really wish they made a desktop module. I think I'm going to have to go for the CP88, it seems to have fewer problems than the 73. There is a Yamaha store not too far away, I need to test out the actual keybed I intend to buy rather than ordering one from the internet this time.

I really enjoy the sounds of the Yamaha CPs, electric pianos especially, I like the included effects and the UI. I wish they'd made a solid keybed to go with it, it's a Stage Piano ffs.

I don't really want to carry the weight of the CP88. I wish I liked the sounds of the Nord Electro just as much but I don't, and I never use organ sounds (which the Nords are made for).

I worry over purchases for a long time before buying. Thanks for the information.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljefe View Post
Okay, thanks Belldog. At this point I really wish they made a desktop module. I think I'm going to have to go for the CP88, it seems to have fewer problems than the 73. There is a Yamaha store not too far away, I need to test out the actual keybed I intend to buy rather than ordering one from the internet this time.

I really enjoy the sounds of the Yamaha CPs, electric pianos especially, I like the included effects and the UI. I wish they'd made a solid keybed to go with it, it's a Stage Piano ffs.

I don't really want to carry the weight of the CP88. I wish I liked the sounds of the Nord Electro just as much but I don't, and I never use organ sounds (which the Nords are made for).

I worry over purchases for a long time before buying. Thanks for the information.
I can relate. I obsess over even small purchases, especially since I hate wasting money. The Nords sound lovely, but they're out of range for me price-wise and it's not like I do this stuff for a living. The Korg Grandstage might also be worth a look; same price range, choice of 73 and 88 key models. The 88's supposedly a heavy bastard, but the 73's a bit smaller and lighter. Only drawback is that there's no drawbars (I think you can change the organ sounds a bit using the mod wheel, but obviously there's not the same degree of control).
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

I bought the MODX8 because the 6 and 7 have a super light keybed feel. The modx8 action is kinda heavy but I like it. The montage action is a really nice middle ground.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphNYC View Post
I bought the MODX8 because the 6 and 7 have a super light keybed feel. The modx8 action is kinda heavy but I like it. The montage action is a really nice middle ground.
Have you experienced any trouble with your MODX8 keybed? Has it gotten louder or had any trigger problems?
๐Ÿ“ Reply