The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can somebody ID this SYNTH PAD from The Weeknd? Sounds like Phil Collins
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Can somebody ID this SYNTH PAD from The Weeknd? Sounds like Phil Collins

I'm new to this forum and I need help, I've been trying to recreate this synth pad and synth bass from this The Weeknd song, the sound is very late 80s, early 90s, very reminiscent of Phil Collins work, I've tried with the M1, the Prophet 5, The DX7 and no luck at all

It seems to me the synth pad is a just a simple sine wave with a chorus and a filter, but I haven't been able to recreate it the way it sounds, could anybody help me by identifying the synth and effects? Or if there's a similar virtual instrument that has a preset that sounds just like it, I'd be so thankful and forever grateful

The synth pad starts at 0:12, the synth bass starts at 0:56, other great synth sounds at 0:56 too

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Bumping cause I'm really desperate to find out
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickbateman89 View Post
I'm new to this forum and I need help, I've been trying to recreate this synth pad and synth bass from this The Weeknd song, the sound is very late 80s, early 90s, very reminiscent of Phil Collins work, I've tried with the M1, the Prophet 5, The DX7 and no luck at all

It seems to me the synth pad is a just a simple sine wave with a chorus and a filter, but I haven't been able to recreate it the way it sounds, could anybody help me by identifying the synth and effects? Or if there's a similar virtual instrument that has a preset that sounds just like it, I'd be so thankful and forever grateful

The synth pad starts at 0:12, the synth bass starts at 0:56, other great synth sounds at 0:56 too
A Moog Voyager would nail the mellow bass and the bass @ 0:56. A Prophet 6 or 5 would take care of the mellow pad sound with proper use of effects (flanger/chorus with delay and or reverb). With that being said, the same could be achieved ITB as well. Also, there’s another synth that’s layered with the pad sound.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotwings View Post
A Moog Voyager would nail the mellow bass and the bass @ 0:56. A Prophet 6 or 5 would take care of the mellow pad sound with proper use of effects (flanger/chorus with delay and or reverb). With that being said, the same could be achieved ITB as well. Also, there’s another synth that’s layered with the pad sound.
GOD BLESS YOU MAN! What do you think would be the synth layered with the mellow pad?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’m more than sure you could achieve all of this with Omnisphere! Trillian for the bass patch.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I was playing with a virtually identical pad earlier this evening.

Preset 2 on a Juno 60, thru an Eventide H9k.

not the cheapest chain ever admittedly, but it's got that dampened warmth you seek.

Diva through Valhalla Vintage/Shimmer would get you in the same ballpark.

Bass sounds like a model D to me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

oh PLUS....

Weeknd is the supertonic cliche king. its the most 2020 sounding thing ever. That contributes to the sound too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR32h5jhPtU
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think all the cool kids work in the box these days.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdee View Post
I was playing with a virtually identical pad earlier this evening.

Preset 2 on a Juno 60, thru an Eventide H9k.

not the cheapest chain ever admittedly, but it's got that dampened warmth you seek.

Diva through Valhalla Vintage/Shimmer would get you in the same ballpark.

Bass sounds like a model D to me.
Ah man you're god sent! I will try all of this tomorrow, thank you so much!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
I’m more than sure you could achieve all of this with Omnisphere! Trillian for the bass patch.
Thank you so much man!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
I think all the cool kids work in the box these days.
I don’t and I’m ice cold
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Here I tried to do it using freeware Tal-U-No-62 VST synth for pads, for arpeggio and for the bass. For pads just use sawtooth wave, lower the filter and add a chorus (you can also use external Tal chorus for the same sound if you use another synth).

I added reverb and in the second half (from 0:22) - the flanger. There's also a bit of sidechain starting at 0:11. Also filter of the pads is opening and envelope amount of arp is rising towards the 0:22.

Out of what you have Prophet 5 VST is the most obvious choice, just leave only one osc and add a chorus and reverb. You can use M1 and DX7, but you'll have to work with external effects and equalisers more to shape the sound right and find or make a usable sound to process (close to filtered sawtooth wave).

For bass don't use chorus, but add a bit of sub-oscillator (maybe it's a two-osc synth for bass in the original, I'm not shure).

https://soundcloud.com/transistores-.../s-2oVl4uZoAx1
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I don't understand the fascination with trying to copy sounds.
The original producer just used a sound that they thought worked.
Do the same. Be original.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

This sounds 100% in the box production in my opinion
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WozNYC View Post
It's just expanding the vocabulary, same as learning a new chord. Interest in how to achieve a certain mood or a certain aesthetics.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
What if you simply like those sounds and want to be able to play/compose using them ?
Old 3 weeks ago
You can't speak with your own voice without learning the vocabulary first.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistores View Post
Here I tried to do it using freeware Tal-U-No-62 VST synth for pads, for arpeggio and for the bass. For pads just use sawtooth wave, lower the filter and add a chorus (you can also use external Tal chorus for the same sound if you use another synth).

I added reverb and in the second half (from 0:22) - the flanger. There's also a bit of sidechain starting at 0:11. Also filter of the pads is opening and envelope amount of arp is rising towards the 0:22.

Out of what you have Prophet 5 VST is the most obvious choice, just leave only one osc and add a chorus and reverb. You can use M1 and DX7, but you'll have to work with external effects and equalisers more to shape the sound right and find or make a usable sound to process (close to filtered sawtooth wave).

For bass don't use chorus, but add a bit of sub-oscillator (maybe it's a two-osc synth for bass in the original, I'm not shure).

https://soundcloud.com/transistores-.../s-2oVl4uZoAx1
Man you're incredibly talented, you did all that in a few minutes, it's amazing, thank you so much
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldParadise View Post
This sounds 100% in the box production in my opinion
Oops I should've specified that I was using VSTs, Arturia Prophet for the Prophet 5, Korg M1 VST for the M1 and Arturia DX7 for the DX7, pretty sure it's production from the box, that's at least how 99% of mainstream producers operate right now
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt View Post

What if you simply like those sounds and want to be able to play/compose using them ?
Approximate them to the best of your ability to get the same vibe,
but add your own spin on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer View Post

You can't speak with your own voice without learning the vocabulary first.
Nice quote, but I don't believe that at all.
You don't need to copy in order to grow.

You'll have a much better time creating stuff using your own sounds
rather than spending time trying to copy someone else's.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Approximate them to the best of your ability to get the same vibe,
but add your own spin on it.

Nice quote, but I don't believe that at all.
You don't need to copy in order to grow.

You'll have a much better time creating stuff using your own sounds
rather than spending time trying to copy someone else's.
But this is not plagiarism, this is learning how others exactly did it so you can do it your own way, with your own spin to it, like you said. Sergio Leone came up with the Italian shot, which is a extreme close up shot of the character's eyes. This shot has been used in tons of different movies and tv shows, and the use isn't plagiarism, the shot serves as a tool in visual storytelling and different directors do it their own interpretation of it to achieve what they want to achieve in their art. Same thing here
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Give the guy a break he came to a music discussion forum
To ask a question about a sound, does not mean he is less talented
I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum who
Hasn’t tried to emulate a sound in the past.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovekrafty View Post
Give the guy a break he came to a music discussion forum
To ask a question about a sound, does not mean he is less talented
I think you’d be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum who
Hasn’t tried to emulate a sound in the past.
Thank you man, I don't understand this feedback, I'm not here to plagiarize the song with its chords and melody and not innovate hahaha, I just wanted to find a specific synth pad and have fun playing with it on my keyboard
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Copying is *incredibly* important when you find something that you like and don't know how it's done.

Mimicry is a large part of how we learn.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkozyra View Post
Copying is *incredibly* important when you find something that you like and don't know how it's done.

Mimicry is a large part of how we learn.
Thank you man, there's a difference between copying and plagiarism which sometimes people fail to see, we need to copy/observe to learn, learning is observing, see how others do it and then you do it
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

But this is not plagiarism
I never once brought up plagiarism.

When I was learning to play keyboards in the '80s, I mimicked everything.
I agree, that's how you learn. But if you want to copy someone else's sound
to use in your own music, it's my opinion that it's better to come up with your
own spin on it. Just my opinion. Didn't mean for so many to get butthurt
over it.

In the time it's taken you to post and reply to this thread, you could have just
created your own thing and moved on. Again, just my two cents. I'll bow out now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I never once brought up plagiarism.

When I was learning to play keyboards in the '80s, I mimicked everything.
I agree, that's how you learn. But if you want to copy someone else's sound
to use in your own music, it's my opinion that it's better to come up with your
own spin on it. Just my opinion. Didn't mean for so many to get butthurt
over it.

In the time it's taken you to post and reply to this thread, you could have just
created your own thing and moved on. Again, just my two cents. I'll bow out now.
Well I guess we can finally leave this behind and stay on the topic, no hard feelings I understand your position, although you misinterpreted my intentions and goal
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well I guess we can finally leave this behind and stay on the topic, no hard feelings I understand your position, although you misinterpreted my intentions and goal
It wasn't clear to me what you were trying to accomplish. Just copy the track for fun / learning?
Copy the sounds to use in your own music, etc?

***EDIT: Anyway, sorry for the "old man" replies earlier.
I think I was just in a sh*t mood. Carry on!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
It wasn't clear to me what you were trying to accomplish. Just copy the track for fun / learning?
Copy the sounds to use in your own music, etc?

***EDIT: Anyway, sorry for the "old man" replies earlier.
I think I was just in a sh*t mood. Carry on!
I wanted to learn and simply play with that beautiful pad sound, and it's alright man, no need to say sorry, we all have our moments
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I found out the exact synth pad!!!

Vst: Roland Super JV-1080
Patch: Spectrum Mod (Bright Pad)

You just need to add a filter and cut the high frequencies and it's literally the same pad, thanks to everyone that helped me finding the synth pad, you guys are incredible :D
📝 Reply