The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Moog New Dark Series for Matriarch & Grandmother
Old 26th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Now that we're talking design, I must say that the tiny dot on their knobs is very hard to find with tired eyes, making it often hard to quickly check their current position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
The OG Matriarch has PURPLE!
Why not go a little further, have some fun with it and produce well-made overlays for these synths, so existing customers can get a make-over refresh if they desire and new customers have a choice.
+1000, this. Each segment available in all kind of colours including silver and gold, that would be heaven. And glitter.
Old 26th September 2020
Kja
Lives for gear
Forget the new color.. Have you guys seen the new matriarch case? It looks really legit.. hard abs wrapped in condura.. mmmmm...
For the same price as getting a black one instead you could buy the case..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
Well, since you put it that way. Lol.
Old 26th September 2020
Gear Nut

Moog is the Synth Co. of a thousand colors.. Remember the Voyagers that came in almost every color of the rainbow. (sigh) I bought 2 of them.
Glad to see this in black .. I may be in the minority but the multi color Matriarch made reminded me
of something from Radio Shack.
Attached Thumbnails
Moog New Dark Series for Matriarch & Grandmother-1bee54ec-04da-41fe-a3d4-29d118f13b42.jpg  
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcearl View Post
tbh you shouldve deleted the whole thread..theres another on the subject and it takes 3hrs and 53mins to scroll through the cleanup on aisle 7 on this one
I think this was the most heavily moderated thread I had ever seen. lol
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATOSFEAR View Post
Glad to see this in black .. I may be in the minority but the multi color Matriarch made reminded me of something from Radio Shack.
I agree with you. Which is also why I love the multi-color Matriarch and Grandmother.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
I think this was the most heavily moderated thread I had ever seen. lol
Yea I don't normally post a whole lot and very rarely ever start a thread. Now I know why.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATOSFEAR View Post
reminded me
of something from Radio Shack.
I still have the wooden box from mine and some of the electronics...
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
All colors are great as long as they are black!

iMO these look very cool. Still too expensive for what they do, but Moog is the Apple of synths.
I’d say they are more like the Leica of synths. In fact the Leica M10 Monochrom is a black&white digital camera that costs as much as a 16-voice Moog One, without a lens. But you can get a lens for the additional cost of an 8-voice Moog One.
Old 26th September 2020
Lives for gear
Amazing! It's in black! That must have solved the hanging notes problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
Amazing! It's in black! That must have solved the hanging notes problem.
Here for the gear

Before buying my grandmother I would have jumped on the black edition, but the colors grew on me so I'm sticking with it.

I'm more interested in the new firmware than the new paint job.
Old 26th September 2020
Lives for gear

Lives for gear

good to have the option now, but I actually prefer the original colors
Old 26th September 2020
eb7
Lives for gear

I've been going back and forth between the two, and my initial reaction of wishing this option was available from the start has gradually faded. I think they could have done better with the new design and am fine with my original.
Old 27th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb7 View Post

I've been going back and forth between the two, and my initial reaction of wishing this option was available from the start has gradually faded. I think they could have done better with the new design and am fine with my original.
I'm thinking along the same lines. I wonder how the black version would have looked if they had used brightly colored lines to outline each section: a blue line around the oscillators section, a green line around the mixer section, etc.

It's ironic that the first time I saw a pic of the dark Matriarch I instantly thought of my old CS-15 and CS-30. While the CS-30 was amazing in some ways, its layout was a bit wacky and I had to put color coded dots on all of the knobs to keep track of which ones were for pitch, filter, envelopes, etc.
Lives for gear
its dead sexy in black, like a lot of women
Old 27th September 2020
Lives for gear

This thread isn't about BLM or political stuff, it's about synths.

Seeing the two versions of the Matriarch together in pics, I like the looks of both of them, but the colorful one is more interesting. But, the black version probably looks better in person than in pics. Black things, whether cats or synths, aren't easy to get good photos of.
Lives for gear

I've decided it's too black. I'm sorry. The other one tried a little too hard to be frolicky and this one tries too hard to be serious. I'll take the color one though. Killer synth I just know (no hands on yet).

Edit: A little advice to Moog. Keep the color scheme of the first one but make it more primary. Trust me - third option. You were never the flash company, but so lovable.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by touched View Post
Edit: A little advice to Moog...
.. snip..
You were never the flash company, but so lovable.
Moog has been known to flash their swag now and then.
Gold plated Moogs ...
Attached Thumbnails
Moog New Dark Series for Matriarch & Grandmother-49f89667-08c9-4d4f-8d43-c3e483ef188f.jpg  
Old 27th September 2020
Lives for gear

I didn’t see anyone complain about Waldorf Quantum Shadow Edition... why so much hate for Moog making a black version for two of their most recent popular synths. Most people prefer black synths because they go with most of their other synths. How in the **** does race keep playing a part here???
Old 27th September 2020
Lives for gear

The black livery for the Moogs is cool.

I'd love a black overlay for my multicolored Grandmother, but that probably won't happen.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
<deleted by moderator>
<deleted by moderator>
Moog New Dark Series for Matriarch &amp; Grandmother

Last edited by Reptil; 27th September 2020 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzzz View Post

oh nice. yours?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetica View Post
Yea I don't normally post a whole lot and very rarely ever start a thread. Now I know why.
< moderator message - it's a few people who do not understand that they should leave their political opinion at the door, and discussions here are supposed to not be unprovoced attacks. the not so vocal majority isn't like that at all. >
Lives for gear
Quote:
damn sexy in black
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is a sexy beast! You wanna sell it?
Old 27th September 2020
Lives for gear

Kinda dig the new black. I think it makes it stand out on my radar a little more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sombrero View Post
Probably been discussed before but anyone got any ‘hands on’ thoughts on both the Matriarch and Voyager? I’ve been thinking of picking up a Voyager xl or voyager with the patch boards for years, and the matriarch is looking like an interesting alternative.
As an owner of a Voyager XL, I fell in love with the Matriarch when I first played it at Moogfest. It feels like the paraphonic Voyager I always wanted, but with more flexible and rapidly-accessible ways to get weird with all the patchability. The built-in MF-104Z-like delay really completes the unit compared to the dry Voyager, but I still prefer the Voyager as a raw starting point for my external FX. The smooth crossfading between oscillator waveshapes on the Voyager (and Sub37) is what sells it for me. You can accomplish the same with the Matriarch's (Voyager-based) oscillators using external mixers, but it's less immediate.

The biggest reason I haven't pulled the trigger on a Matriarch yet is because I'm a MIDI freak. The MIDI features and control surfaces (touchstrip and X/Y/A pad) on the Voyager XL make it my go-to for automation via Ableton and centerpiece for all other synth control, to the point where I've personally lost interest in any other keyboard synths right now. Matriarch's 1.2.0 firmware update offering SysEx control over Global Settings did get me interested again, though.

Obviously cost is a huge factor. I bought my XL after decades of obsessing over Moog modular systems, before the Matriarch was announced. I can't honestly say I'd do it again unless I got a great deal, meaning sub-$3k with all wood, controls, and digital aspects in perfect order. Realistically, you could buy two Matriarchs or even a Matriarch + Mother 32 + Subharmonicon + DFAM for the price of a mint (used) Voyager XL. That doesn't factor in the pricier cables (1/4"), heavier-duty case and stand (24lb Matriarch vs 49lb XL), external FX units, etc. The Matriarch easily integrates with the rest of the Mother ecosystem whereas I have to constantly adapt for the XL, meaning more cable cost. The XL also furthered my interest in 5U/MU modular, and I've been considering Voyager RMEs to expand the XL, so consider that a further warning on the deep financial rabbit hole it can lead down. Adding Eurorack or M32/DFAM/SHC voices to a Matriarch is orders of magnitude cheaper than adding 5U/MU or Voyager RME voices to an XL.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
oh nice. yours?
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlights View Post
This is a sexy beast! You wanna sell it?
Hee-Hee! Years ago, I did have a 10-voice Orange Waldorf XT, but when they came out with the "Dark" version as well as the 30 voice, I sold the Orange and upgraded. Both synths are long gone, though. Just posted as an example of a synth company putting out more "traditional" synth designs versus their flamboyant originals.

Speaking of which, the Yellow Q keyboard really showed off fingerprints, I understand...

In the meantime, I would love a reissue of the original Waldorf Microwave 1. I had a chance at a "Mean Green Machine" awhile back, but wasn't aggressive enough with bidding. These things go for over $2000US now...

Back to topic, I think I prefer the more "professional" look of the Dark Matriarch.
📝 Reply