The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Strymon Night Sky
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Strymon Night Sky

Have’nt seen this posted anywhere else . Something new something black hole-ish except with a sequencer.

https://www.strymon.net/products/nightsky/
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Interesting. This is begging for a modular adaption.
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

It seems to be a warp core reverb with shimmer and glimmer and drive, which means continuous control over the reverb's pitch/processing rate/core size or that control can be quantized to scale, and there are harmonics controls, and there's a modulatable 4 pole resonant low pass filter, and a step sequencer.

With a mixer, you could have this and Eventide Blackhole pedal feeding back into each other. You'd be lost in space.
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This looks like an awesome feature set with some very cool innovations and a really nice tactile interface.

Obviously I have to reserve judgement on how it sounds in detail until I have one in front of me.

I wonder if it's a rehash and expansion/disection of one of the BigSky's existing algorithms (maybe the Plate?) or whether they've designed a brand new core reverb algorithm from the ground up?

I'm liking that it's knob-rich and screen-lite like the Volante (not personally a fan of screens on pedals).

Ticks all the right boxes for us non string-thrashers, with Line Inputs and separate I/O for Left and Right (which I find helps reduce system noise as compared to multiple Y cables).

The 'Infinite' switch looks like it's latching which is a major plus for drone work - on many pedals the 'Infinite' or 'Freeze' function requires that you hold down the switch to keep it activated which is obviously aimed at guitarists but a PITA for really slow evolving, table-top work.

There's obviously a bunch of secondary functions like filter resonance/Q and portamento which open up some really interesting possibilities such as Sample & Hold and all sorts of clever tricks you can do with that innovative 8-step Sequencer.

All-in-all it's a triple thumbs-up from me!

Looks like I'm going to have to revisit my 'No More Pedals' declaration. Again.
May the gear-gods have mercy on my soul.

Anyway, here's the in-depth 'What's it all about?" video with designer Pete Celi:

Last edited by James Lehmann; 19th September 2020 at 09:48 AM..
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thankfully I'm not gassing at all for this.
Old 19th September 2020
Seems perfect for my needs. Knob per function with a fairly extensive set of options for altering the density and modulation of the trails plus some drive/saturation. Everything else is just a bonus.
Old 19th September 2020
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Count me in
Old 19th September 2020
M32
Lives for gear

my first reaction was a bit meh, but it's actually a pretty cool original box.

One of the issues for me with shimmer and pitch shifted fx was always that unless you use octave up or down, your pretty limited to what chord and note changes you can do. This sequencer seems both the perfect way to sidestep this and to really create new tonal melodic content out of frozen/shimmer reverbs.

The bizarre thing is, it doesn't sound extremely hifi/bright as i expected, unlike for example their Big Sky pedal. It actually has a kind of lofi character in a lot of their audio demo's. I think that's often to do with the Drive circuit, of which i don't like the sound that much. But all the demo's are with guitar, so i don't know how it responds to other material.

If they ever release it in a Magneto-like eurorack module form factor, i will be all over this.

Luckily i have Valhalla Massive to quench my gas and thirst for experimental reverbs. If anyone ever releases that as a pedal, or better still, a eurorack module...
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

The Night Sky is deep
Old 19th September 2020
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I wish they would make a multi fx 19 rack with several of their pedals in it.
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Built to handle AT LEAST 10Vptp signals and with its own stereo effects send...
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 39941f3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
Yeah exactly.
Since they are digital (are they digital? Timeline it is at least) it should not be hard to make it.
Or also a box with just reverbs and delays would be welcome.
Line in and out and stereo.
Maybe it would be very expensive?
Old 19th September 2020
Gear Nut

+1 for the Star trek transporter energize sound made with a guitar

Old 21st September 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
When is the release date for this? I want to run my prophet 6 through this.
Old 21st September 2020
Lives for gear

A couple days ago, the Strymon web store said shipping in a week. But there may have been a few preorders since then.

I want to know 2 things, if anyone from Strymon is lurking, or anyone else has seen the info conclusively....

Does it have a true stereo path for the dry signal?
Does it sum to mono the effected signal path, and then re-stereoize the wet signal artificially?

The 2nd one isn't a dealbreaker if so, but I'd like to know both, before shelling out $430.
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Head

i already have a Big Sky which i like. do you think the Night Sky would make a great combo, or is there another pedal out there that would be a better fit?
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d00ppl View Post
When is the release date for this? I want to run my prophet 6 through this.
Hell, I want to run my d*ck through it.
Old 21st September 2020
Glimmering ivory streams cascading endlessly towards the infinite and beyond.
Old 21st September 2020
Gear Maniac

I think it’s a great box but cancelled my preorder for now. After the demos, for me at least, I think I need to see how other synth players use it. I’m not in to pitch shifting and I use shimmer style effects VERY sparingly. The “tape warble” destining that was happening in modulation was rocking my world but this isn’t enough to justify the price just yet.

TL;DR-come on Slutz! Get your NightSky videos posted so I can figure out if I can’t live without one!!!!
Old 16th October 2020
I think I’m leaning toward this pedal over the Eventide Blackhole pedal. Anyone have this yet?
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
One of the issues for me with shimmer and pitch shifted fx was always that unless you use octave up or down, your pretty limited to what chord and note changes you can do. This sequencer seems both the perfect way to sidestep this and to really create new tonal melodic content out of frozen/shimmer reverbs.
Before the Night Sky, the only pedal I know of that allowed you to use any intervals you liked for shimmer was the Source Audio Ventris, and you got a stack of three intervals to bend to your Napoleonic will: seconds, sevenths, ninths, tritones, etc.

The Ventris seems to be the only real competition for the Night Sky, and it also functions as a full-featured traditional reverb.

But unlike the Night Sky, the Ventris doesn't allow you to sequence your shimmer and other forms of pitch-shifted reverb. People seem to be really hard on the Night Sky; a few people have said they found it "impractical." But those judgments seem mostly to be coming from guitarists playing live as opposed to synth players, experimental composers and/or modular musicians.

And I'm guessing the the physical controls on the Night Sky are more satisfying than those on the Ventris, with its iPad/computer-dependent depth. I love Source Audio, but their knobs and buttons always feel more like puns than an interface.
Deleted 39941f3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrypt View Post
Before the Night Sky, the only pedal I know of that allowed you to use any intervals you like for shimmer was the Source Audio Ventris, and you got a stack of three intervals to bend to your Napoleonic will: seconds, sevenths, ninths, tritones, etc.

The Ventris seems to be the only real competition for the Night Sky, and it also functions as a full-featured traditional reverb.

But unlike the Night Sky, the Ventris doesn't allow you to sequence your shimmer and other forms of pitch-shifted reverb. People seem to be really hard on the Night Sky; a few people have said they found it "impractical." But those judgments seem mostly to be coming from guitarists playing live as opposed to synth players, experimental composers and/or modular musicians.

And I'm guessing the the physical controls on the Night Sky are more satisfying than those on the Ventris, with its iPad/computer-dependent depth. I love Source Audio, but their knobs and buttons always feel more like puns than an interface.
There is an abyss of quality between Strymon sound and Audio source.
I would say the only competition is Eventide Space, which has a very lovely shimmer besides other beautiful quality reverbs
Old 28th October 2020
M32
Lives for gear

actually, i stumbled upon the GFI specular tempus recently, seems pretty amazing as well.

Deleted 39941f3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
actually, i stumbled upon the GFI specular tempus recently, seems pretty amazing as well.

Also check Neunaber Immerse.
Beauuutifuuul sound but not flexible.
But beautiful sound.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpcMc View Post
Also check Neunaber Immerse.
Beauuutifuuul sound but not flexible.
But beautiful sound.
Neunaber is my go to reverb for 'ambient' stuff, itb and otb. Anyone looking should make sure they get the right versions of the stereo pedals that offer 100% wet signal, if that's important. V2 Wet/Expanse, and Immerse MKii. Prior versions only go 50/50. You're right they're not so flexible, but what they do what they do so well.

Strangely meh about the Nightsky for a reverb junkie. I love the way it can be a unique if rudimentary drone synth. It's just a tad expensive for that.
Deleted 39941f3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsanddrones View Post
Neunaber is my go to reverb for 'ambient' stuff, itb and otb. Anyone looking should make sure they get the right versions of the stereo pedals that offer 100% wet signal, if that's important. V2 Wet/Expanse, and Immerse MKii. Prior versions only go 50/50. You're right they're not so flexible, but what they do what they do so well.

Strangely meh about the Nightsky for a reverb junkie. I love the way it can be a unique if rudimentary drone synth. It's just a tad expensive for that.
Yeah Neunaber stuff always sound fantastic.
This Nightsky caught my attention for the sequencer, the idea of sequencing a reverb is very interesting.
The price is what you expect from a high quality studio reverb but for that I would go to Eventide space which is really really good for any standard or more advanced reverb with modulations and also other chained effects- tremolo, distortion, delay and so on.
Old 29th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpcMc View Post
There is an abyss of quality between Strymon sound and Audio source.
I would say the only competition is Eventide Space, which has a very lovely shimmer. . . .
It looks as though the point of that post wasn't sufficiently clear. I am not evaluating the quality of the two reverbs -- even though you've offered no evidence or empirical reasons for the "abyss of quality" you claim exists between Source Audio and Eventide.

The other poster and I were not talking about competition between ordinary reverbs. We were talking about the fact that the Night Sky is a very specific departure from normal reverbs because it offers features like customizable LFOs, the ability to sequence different reverbs in time as though they were notes and, specifically, the ability to assign any interval to pitch shift and shimmer.

We were talking about that specific ability: assigning any interval to shimmer and pitch-shifted reverb. Not only octaves or fifths, like the Eventide; any interval in the overtone series.

Someone had said that the Night Sky does this and seemed to be saying that other reverbs did not. I brought up the Ventris because I know that it has chromatic shimmer.
Old 13th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm shocked that ya'll are meh about it. I find it pretty amazing. I have the big sky as well as space. This thing definitely holds its own. Had the day off so made a quick vid with the matriarch:

Old 14th November 2020 | Show parent
Deleted 39941f3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miiko View Post
I'm shocked that ya'll are meh about it. I find it pretty amazing. I have the big sky as well as space. This thing definitely holds its own. Had the day off so made a quick vid with the matriarch:

How would you compare Nightsky and Space in terms of sound quality?
I am a Space user.
Old 24th November 2020
Gear Head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sKpXP7Pky8&t=1446s

I can't reproduce what Nick is doing at minute 24: Playing notes on a ext. keyboard effects the "Size/Pitch".

I'm trying hard, but the notes I play on my keyboard don't effect anything!

I have the right MIDI-channel - but it just doesn't work - tried a factory reset - tried other MIDI-channels - no success!

What am I doing wrong?

And I can't even find this function mentioned in the manual!
It's driving me crazy!

Can anyone help please?

Solved: It only works in a very low octave area.
📝 Reply