The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
It’s been a while, but time for a new episode of studio Tetris!
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Ionic View Post
ah perhaps you need to read some of this feature set again

Full VS waves and other wavetables, the ability to load in your own wavetables and morph through the sample start/stop/center, analog filters( two 24db low pass) hyper realistic samples that you can add “analog” ish slop and FM too.Four LFO’s two digital osc two wavetable, its pretty much landing in Prophet VS territory here.
to add to that you can put wavetable on each key and stretch out multiples across the keys sorta granular like.
Yeah, I do know all that, but I still feel they should have made the digital oscillators a bit more interesting.

Quote:
I am sad for the loss of your Pro 2 I would not be suprised if you want one back at some point.
Yeah, I got a bit sad when the UPS guy took it. I think I’ll get over it, though. As good as it sounds, I think it will be better for me to diversify a bit. I think three Sequential synths are enough.
Would you hit me if I change my mind and got a UDO Super 6 instead?!

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post

No, but I'd still consider flipping the Pro-2 (while you have a Prophet-12 desktop). There's lots of folks out there eager to bite, and it's a great centerpiece for a hybrid Eurorack setup.

You may even consider flipping the 002R, once you get the Super 6.
Old 26th September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:

The Super-6 has been near the top of my want-list since its release. Were you swayed away from the Polybrute? If so, why (I, too, cooled on the idea of getting a PB)?
Lives for gear

I'm pleased that sale worked out. He's very happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius View Post
I'm pleased that sale worked out. He's very happy.
Yeah, he seems like a really nice bloke. Thanks for brokering the deal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddever View Post
No, but I'd still consider flipping the Pro-2 (while you have a Prophet-12 desktop). There's lots of folks out there eager to bite, and it's a great centerpiece for a hybrid Eurorack setup.

You may even consider flipping the 002R, once you get the Super 6.
It’s funny, after I wrote that I poured through more Super 6 demos, and man, it sounds fantastic, but then I spent some time with my 002r, and it also sounds fantastic in a similar kind of way... maybe better in some aspects. I like that it can get ol’ school digi-gritty and I don’t hear that at all in the Super 6 demos. Super 6 sounds like clarified butter. Don’t get me wrong, I want it too, but after some thought and comparisons to the PolyBrute demos, I sort of concluded that for my needs it would get more use. I like that it has more performance modulation options like the Morphee. Plus, my Touché has been bugging me for a girlfriend.
Gear Addict

Quote:

Old 26th September 2020
Lives for gear

Isn't studio Tetris the way you find out to cram even more stuff in your studio? Because selling is for the weak!
Lives for gear

Synths hanging vertically on bungee cords at different levels and rotations is clearly a viable solution. Just pack them in tighter toward the desk or floor.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
Isn't studio Tetris the way you find out to cram even more stuff in your studio? Because selling is for the weak!
If there's anything we learn from studio Tetris, it's just how far we'll go to make something fit in that doesn't easily do so -- the most vulnerable being things that are large with limited purpose, or lack unique qualities.

As resistant as I've been to selling, I finally put a few items on Reverb last night, having already overmaxed my space and then buying an S3. Spent hours last night poking through it, not even hooked up to anything else. A huge heavy beast, but so very worthwhile. Something else will have to go.

The hardest part of selling, I think, is the gap between decision ("This goes up for sale") and actual sale. Once a promising partner, now just in the way of other things, whether physically or financially (or both). Cleaned up and photographed, possibly boxed and waiting.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by touched View Post
This is more carnival soothsaying, but I feel the ATC-X and 002R are more emotional attachments because they seem so cool rather than synths you really use a lot. (you already qualified your love for the ATC-X a bit and I think the 002R is similar in needing to use a software interface - you've got plenty of soft synths if you want to do that)

Not sure why RYTM is another story, but I'd personally axe it and the Analog Four.

Peak you've said before leaves you a little cold (and I doubt that's really in a good way like with an icy additive).

Pro 2 doesn't excite me (veering more into pure opinion).

Not sure you need a Rev 2 16 and a Polybrute. If you really need 16 voices use one of your sofsynths.

There are 7 you can get rid of. Get the Polybrute and have a lot of fun figuring out what else.

This is a slash and burn submission obviously.
Axe it all and get a Polybrute and Hydrasynth! Happiness forever, for you and your family. And you can run with them easily when the firestorms get too close.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPogo View Post
If there's anything we learn from studio Tetris, it's just how far we'll go to make something fit in that doesn't easily do so -- the most vulnerable being things that are large with limited purpose, or lack unique qualities.
If this was really Tetris, a whole row of gear would blink out of existence once you completed it.

I prefer "closest packing of gears" in honor of Buckminster Fuller's "closest packing of spheres".
Lives for gear

Quote:

nah the Super 6 kinda wowed me with its sound at Namm . I was like there is something wrong this synth should not be that special. Its front panel while nice is somewhat unassuming. Its like a Juno 106 almost which another one of those the front panel is less than the sound situations. Except the Super 6 does sound fricken damn nice.
It stood out from the other synths that way. Just real buttery nice. To steal your butter comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Axe it all and get a Polybrute and Hydrasynth! Happiness forever, for you and your family. And you can run with them easily when the firestorms get too close.
This not completely out a lapse of momentary reason as it sounds.

I mean you could cover a lot of bases with these two. Except what about just getting an Iridium? To go with the PolyBrute.
I mean I won’t lie I think a Hydra is on short order here. It certainly is bang for the buck.
Old 28th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
nah the Super 6 kinda wowed me with its sound at Namm . I was like there is something wrong this synth should not be that special. Its front panel while nice is somewhat unassuming. Its like a Juno 106 almost which another one of those the front panel is less than the sound situations. Except the Super 6 does sound fricken damn nice.
It stood out from the other synths that way. Just real buttery nice. To steal your butter comment

This not completely out a lapse of momentary reason as it sounds.

I mean you could cover a lot of bases with these two. Except what about just getting an Iridium? To go with the PolyBrute.
I mean I won’t lie I think a Hydra is on short order here. It certainly is bang for the buck.
I think the Iridium/Quantum architecture is light years beyond Hydrasynth, but then again, like the A6, it can often seem like a steep mountain to climb if you really want to master it.

The Hydrasynth/Polybrute combo is a simplification which gets you to focusing on playing, that's my take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
I tried that... once. I had a nice big room in my old place... man, I miss that condo... so cool... anyway, it was at a time before I had a kid and there was more time and money to be had as well. It was also around the time that the hardware analog market started getting flooded with cool stuff. I loaded up on everything like Augustus Gloop in Wonka’s factory. Then I started seeing these little orange men and they sang songs, chastising me. It was a bad scene.

In other threads, I joke around that 8 is the magic number of hardware synths, but I’m not entirely joking. I do find that if I go much higher than that, it starts feeling like more of a burden than a buffet. I used to have a U shaped setup at my old place and I’m also a guitar player, and it felt very cramped and constrained. I’ve almost always got a guitar slung over my shoulder, even when I’m focused on a synth. The U shape just didn’t work. The L shape is better, but if either side gets too long, that feels awkward too.

Plus it also starts feeling like synths start getting ignored for long stretches. I rarely use more than 3 synths in a track. Maybe 4 if you consider a drum synth. When it’s been over a month since I touched a synth, it starts feeling like a waste. I don’t mind that so much with a plugin, but on hardware it seems different.

Anyway, I’m done with this round. The Pro 2 is on its way to its new owner. I don’t own a hybrid mono anymore, but that’s not a horrible thing. An analog mono gets more use to me. I could always run something though the ATC or Dominion 1. In fact, I should try that later.

So now I have a PolyBrute shaped hole on my side desk. Exciting! I rejected my Super 6 diversion. It’s awesome but for the types of things I like to do, the PolyBrute is the one for me. It’s the one that got me to get my measuring tape out, when the Super 6 did not. I think my 002r can cover that kind of hybrid sound for me just fine. Now all that’s left is to put myself into a medically induced coma until my Christmas money drops and I can order the damn thing. I hope the world is controlled by a race of sentient otters by then.
Quote:
Yeah, I totally agree, but I also feel like the PolyBrute wows me too, but in a different way. Maybe not “buttery” but something else. The Super is just a little light on modulation options... which I get, but I tend to gravitate to a synth with a large mod matrix. Remember, I have a 002r as well, which also has that exotic waveform thing going on, and while it doesn’t do the binaural thing, it can be really buttery.

Quote:
I really wanted to like the Iridium but it leaves me cold. It’s like the Amiga rendered STNG Enterprise after watching the original Wrath of Khan. The Hydrasynth actually sounds more sonically interesting to me, although less capable, but man, they missed on the size. I’ve got no space in my world for a digital 4 octave synth, but I’d easily buy a 5 octave Hydrasynth. I could replace the Peak with the Hydrasynth module, but I don’t think that really gets me something when I’ve got a hard drive full of excellent software.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hope the world is controlled by a race of sentient otters by then.
Otters are already sentient dude.. why do you hate otters???

Maybe you should turn the otter cheek??
Old 29th September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_the_peace View Post
Otters are already sentient dude.. why do you hate otters???

Maybe you should turn the otter cheek??
I love otters! We go visit some at least a few times a year. They’re protectors of the kelp.
Lives for gear
Quote:
I love otters! We go visit some at least a few times a year. They’re protectors of the kelp.

Lives for gear

Quote:
The anti-kelpers...

It’s been a while, but time for a new episode of studio Tetris!-efb43cdc-efac-4919-95fa-5bc51f12db11.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
It’s been a while, but time for a new episode of studio Tetris!-efb43cdc-efac-4919-95fa-5bc51f12db11.jpg  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmer View Post

Ooo, I didn’t know that one. Seems like it would pair with Day Of The Dolphin for a good double feature.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ooo, I didn’t know that one. Seems like it would pair with Day Of The Dolphin for a good double feature.
Better Day of the Dolphin show

https://youtu.be/FWSvXjpLDmE
Lives for gear
Quote:
Ooo, I didn’t know that one.
its an oldie but a goody, in my opinion
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I totally agree, but I also feel like the PolyBrute wows me too, but in a different way. Maybe not “buttery” but something else. The Super is just a little light on modulation options... which I get, but I tend to gravitate to a synth with a large mod matrix. Remember, I have a 002r as well, which also has that exotic waveform thing going on, and while it doesn’t do the binaural thing, it can be really buttery.

I really wanted to like the Iridium but it leaves me cold. It’s like the Amiga rendered STNG Enterprise after watching the original Wrath of Khan. The Hydrasynth actually sounds more sonically interesting to me, although less capable, but man, they missed on the size. I’ve got no space in my world for a digital 4 octave synth, but I’d easily buy a 5 octave Hydrasynth. I could replace the Peak with the Hydrasynth module, but I don’t think that really gets me something when I’ve got a hard drive full of excellent software.
You got it WRONG: it is Babylon 5 that was rendered on Amigas, not ST:NG. I know, I used to have a friend in the games biz who wrote for ST:NG (he's off drinking somewhere in Massachusetts now, last I heard).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ring of Bright Water..... Willy Wonka...... DUDE, yer losin' it!
Old 29th September 2020
Lives for gear

Why I otter
Old 30th September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
You got it WRONG: it is Babylon 5 that was rendered on Amigas, not ST:NG. I know, I used to have a friend in the games biz who wrote for ST:NG (he's off drinking somewhere in Massachusetts now, last I heard).
I thought it was all done on Lightwave on an Amiaga... sure looked like it.
Old 30th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought it was all done on Lightwave on an Amiaga... sure looked like it.
Babylon 5 was.

Old 30th September 2020
Babylon 5 was definitely rendered in LightWave on Amigas. STNG apparently did some work on Amigas, but I think the bulk of their CGI was done on SGI machines.
📝 Reply