The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
It’s been a while, but time for a new episode of studio Tetris!
Old 19th September 2020
Gear Guru

Well ok it's all subjective I like Dom-1's form factor more for a mono, and price too. Guess I should've added "for the price".
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
Sell the one that’s easiest to replace. Or box it up, and stick it in the attic for a year.
This is the best advice, and I've been doing this for a while. I have a few things that are essentially unobtainium, and I know that if I sell them that I will likely never justify buying them again, and some things that might be expensive but which are easy to reacquire. This way I don't have FOMO, I'm just rotating things in/out.
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

FWIW, there appears to be *no* MFB Dominion 1 for sale in the US at this time, on any platform I checked (ebay, reverb, Craigslist, GC etc).
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Well ok it's all subjective I like Dom-1's form factor more for a mono, and price too. Guess I should've added "for the price".
Totally fair, and I'm also just protective of the '14 since it's been limited edition and is amazing but no one seems to talk about it. So I try to big it up whenever I can.
Old 19th September 2020
Looking at things, there is a way to keep both. I can find or make a desk to go under my side desk. That will make the Pro 2 a bit more awkward to get at, but I still have the Soundtower editor. Then I sort of come to another lessor issue, clutter, and that takes my last two inputs.

I still sort of get the feeling that the Pro 2, as cool and unique as it is, is just too much overlap, considering it duplicates the oscillators of the Prophet 12, filter of the Prophet 6 (I have a SEM in my ATC and it actually sounds a bit nicer).

Thanks for letting me thing out loud.... er... out text?
Old 19th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
It’s been a while, but time for a new episode of studio Tetris!
I play studio Tetris very month! Like many here, I've got eyes on the new Polybrute as well. The morphing feature is so sonically useful—I use it on my AN200 all the time.

So, the rotating list of chopping-block synths continues . . . the problem I posed (to which no one replied) is that I own four excellent analog polys (P6, PX, OB-6, Mopho x4). Of course, the Prophet-X is a DCO-synth, but it sounds so good, and notably, different, from the P6, it's another keeper.

The most obvious choice is the OB-6 since I think it sounds most similar to the Polybrute. The Prophet-6 is a keeper since it's the best-sounding analog poly this side of a River (again, it's so good, I'm no longer interested in an Omega-8).

However, new on the sell-for-PB horizon is the Montage-6, since getting a new Fantom, it's become relatively superfluous. Then again, it's an FM-monster (even though I'm not a fan of traditional FM-sounds), and I'm getting used to its UI and can get around the machine much easier now. Plus it does sound great, has luxurious build-quality, PERFECT aftertouch implementation, and looks beautiful, especially in white.

Quote:
Looking at things, there is a way to keep both . . .
Back to zero: I think you should keep the Pro2. Buy the PB regardless. I don't think I've seen you Jones for a synth this much ever, save for the OB-6, which I think the PB pwns in features and creative possibilities.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
my response war sarcastic too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
Move to Idaho and buy the Polybrute which you will then be able to fit into your amazingly spacious new place easily, and the money you save on rent and improvements in basic breathing opportunities will amply compensate for the disruption.
That describes our long term plan, but we need to be close to the action for now. We’re both in tech.
Lives for gear

Quote:
That describes our long term plan, but we need to be close to the action for now. We’re both in tech.
Working remotely is the future!
Old 19th September 2020
good thread..

cpl of questions for you ZC if i may, i had a few random thoughts about your setup tetris...

1. you mention Dom1 is your only knobby analog. and i know you love your ATCX. now, have you ever thought of replacing the ATCX with SE1X Nova ED?

they are not identical of course, but sound is very related ( i had both). but my point is, you would get:
  • choice btwn two filters (moog and bp/lp sem svf)
  • definitely bigger and more organic oscillators. three instead of two.
  • juicy discrete vca capable of some saturation/growl (only avail on rare ATC-Xi, or as factory modification)
  • knobs for all important parameters, well except mixer which is a bummer, but still..filter/vca/env/osc/lfo is there

so its still a rack and you can hide it away if desired, yet if you want realtime action you can twist them pots too. and you are marrying the SE sound and knobbiness in one machine.

2. do you use CV for anything at all, as in CV i/o on the P2? while its sound is acquired taste, one of the things that is interesting about it is multi row sequencer and cv i/o potential as centerpiece in a cv setup.

im thinking, if you dont use any of that , and adding the fact you have the semi-related P12 (which i think is more interesting than P2), i would definitely sell the P2.

then, hypothetically, you could let both Pro 2 and Dom go, and get SE1XNE and PB. just an idea..

ps interesting that you got hooked on PB that quickly. i had a mild surge of interest after the first video, but as more demos started pouring in, i was getting more sure its soundprint is simply not for me. or to be precise, its top end. same one like on MB and MxB.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
I play studio Tetris very month! Like many here, I've got eyes on the new Polybrute as well. The morphing feature is so sonically useful—I use it on my AN200 all the time.

So, the rotating list of chopping-block synths continues . . . the problem I posed (to which no one replied) is that I own four excellent analog polys (P6, PX, OB-6, Mopho x4). Of course, the Prophet-X is a DCO-synth, but it sounds so good, and notably, different, from the P6, it's another keeper.

The most obvious choice is the OB-6 since I think it sounds most similar to the Polybrute. The Prophet-6 is a keeper since it's the best-sounding analog poly this side of a River (again, it's so good, I'm no longer interested in an Omega-8).

However, new on the sell-for-PB horizon is the Montage-6, since getting a new Fantom, it's become relatively superfluous. Then again, it's an FM-monster (even though I'm not a fan of traditional FM-sounds), and I'm getting used to its UI and can get around the machine much easier now. Plus it does sound great, has luxurious build-quality, PERFECT aftertouch implementation, and looks beautiful, especially in white.

Back to zero: I think you should keep the Pro2. Buy the PB regardless. I don't think I've seen you Jones for a synth this much ever, save for the OB-6, which I think the PB pwns in features and creative possibilities.
I don’t hear the similarities with the OB-6. I hear them with the P6. But, then, I think the P6 sounds inferior to the OB-6, so it’s two sides of the same coin. *shrug*

If one has to go, I’d vote for the Pro2. Keep things least like anything else as long as you’ll use it. You’ve praised the Dominion several times in other threads - keep it!

I’d wait on the PolyBrute a couple weeks, as that’s when Sequential should be announcing. A couple weeks won’t hurt. While the PB may still be the best choice to expand the sonic palette vs another Sequential, you quite like Sequential so if you wait a bit you won’t kick yourself one way or the other (unless PB is sold out until 2022 by then).
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
I don’t hear the similarities with the OB-6. I hear them with the P6. But, then, I think the P6 sounds inferior to the OB-6, so it’s two sides of the same coin. *shrug*

If one has to go, I’d vote for the Pro2. Keep things least like anything else as long as you’ll use it. You’ve praised the Dominion several times in other threads - keep it!

I’d wait on the PolyBrute a couple weeks, as that’s when Sequential should be announcing. A couple weeks won’t hurt. While the PB may still be the best choice to expand the sonic palette vs another Sequential, you quite like Sequential so if you wait a bit you won’t kick yourself one way or the other (unless PB is sold out until 2022 by then).
Oh, none of this is happening until Christmas, so I’ve got plenty of time.
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

I've found the solution!

It’s been a while, but time for a new episode of studio Tetris!-5b8e2ee1-52c2-47b2-8935-c3fad96cb113.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
It’s been a while, but time for a new episode of studio Tetris!-5b8e2ee1-52c2-47b2-8935-c3fad96cb113.jpeg  
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Ermmmm...I like the Vermona '14 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
These days, there are so many great sounding analog monos... hard to even say, but the reason the Dominion 1 is in my studio is because it sounds great, has a good feeling keyboard with velocity and aftertouch, lots of modulation (three EGs and three LFOs!), CV patch points, paraphony, etc. I’ve heard the ‘14 a few times on demos, and it is indeed an amazing sounding synth (I think all Vermona’s sound amazing) but it’s bare bones in comparison to the Dominion 1. Not that features mean everything, but when you’re me, they mean a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
I've found the solution!

And they complain that SMTs are hard to work on! 😂
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Pro 2

Dominion 1.

REV2 16
Prophet 6
ATC-X
002r
Prophet 12
Peak
Analog Four

And a Analog RYTM, but that’s another story.
This is more carnival soothsaying, but I feel the ATC-X and 002R are more emotional attachments because they seem so cool rather than synths you really use a lot. (you already qualified your love for the ATC-X a bit and I think the 002R is similar in needing to use a software interface - you've got plenty of soft synths if you want to do that)

Not sure why RYTM is another story, but I'd personally axe it and the Analog Four.

Peak you've said before leaves you a little cold (and I doubt that's really in a good way like with an icy additive).

Pro 2 doesn't excite me (veering more into pure opinion).

Not sure you need a Rev 2 16 and a Polybrute. If you really need 16 voices use one of your sofsynths.

There are 7 you can get rid of. Get the Polybrute and have a lot of fun figuring out what else.

This is a slash and burn submission obviously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
good thread..

cpl of questions for you ZC if i may, i had a few random thoughts about your setup tetris...

1. you mention Dom1 is your only knobby analog. and i know you love your ATCX. now, have you ever thought of replacing the ATCX with SE1X Nova ED?

they are not identical of course, but sound is very related ( i had both). but my point is, you would get:
  • choice btwn two filters (moog and bp/lp sem svf)
  • definitely bigger and more organic oscillators. three instead of two.
  • juicy discrete vca capable of some saturation/growl (only avail on rare ATC-Xi, or as factory modification)
  • knobs for all important parameters, well except mixer which is a bummer, but still..filter/vca/env/osc/lfo is there

so its still a rack and you can hide it away if desired, yet if you want realtime action you can twist them pots too. and you are marrying the SE sound and knobbiness in one machine.

2. do you use CV for anything at all, as in CV i/o on the P2? while its sound is acquired taste, one of the things that is interesting about it is multi row sequencer and cv i/o potential as centerpiece in a cv setup.

im thinking, if you dont use any of that , and adding the fact you have the semi-related P12 (which i think is more interesting than P2), i would definitely sell the P2.

then, hypothetically, you could let both Pro 2 and Dom go, and get SE1XNE and PB. just an idea..
Hm, that is interesting. I can’t remember why I passed on the SE-1x... I think it was that someone here posted an ATC-1 demo that I fell for. Someone locally had one for $500 so I snapped it up and I really liked it. I only had the Moog filter cartridge, so when someone was selling the X QFS, I traded up. Having those four classic filters is really nice and I wonder how much I’d miss the ARP and 303 filters. I do use them a fair amount, but I probably lean on the Moog and SEM the most.

The thing about the Dominion is that it sounds great and nothing at all like any of those classic filters. If you listen to the demos, you’ll get what I’m talking about. Plus it’s got a bunch of filter types like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by “MFB site”
The filter offers twelve operation modes. Available are four low pass variations with 6, 12, 18 and 24 dB/oct. slopes. Also available are two of high pass-, band pass and notch filter with slopes of 6 and 12 dB/oct.
Anyway, the two together are quite a team... but that’s an interesting proposal.

Quote:
ps interesting that you got hooked on PB that quickly. i had a mild surge of interest after the first video, but as more demos started pouring in, i was getting more sure its soundprint is simply not for me. or to be precise, its top end. same one like on MB and MxB.
I like it, bright but still pretty sweet. There are plenty of demo sounds where it sounds nice and warm, so I can understand what you’re saying, but that’s early factory demos. I’m sure when we start seeing it in the wild we’ll hear it’s other sides. I’m not worried, as it wouldn’t be the only analog poly flavor in my studio. More importantly, I love what I hear with all the morphing, motion recorder and plenty of modulation. Great layout. 8 voices would have been nicer but 6 are OK. The effects sound decent too. This thing is really going to be a playground for evolving ambient pads that I don’t think would be possible in anything else except a Moog One, and it’s 1/3(Ish) the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by touched View Post
This is more carnival soothsaying, but I feel the ATC-X and 002R are more emotional attachments because they seem so cool rather than synths you really use a lot. (you already qualified your love for the ATC-X a bit and I think the 002R is similar in needing to use a software interface - you've got plenty of soft synths if you want to do that)

Not sure why RYTM is another story, but I'd personally axe it and the Analog Four.

Peak you've said before leaves you a little cold (and I doubt that's really in a good way like with an icy additive).

Pro 2 doesn't excite me (veering more into pure opinion).

Not sure you need a Rev 2 16 and a Polybrute. If you really need 16 voices use one of your sofsynths.

There are 7 you can get rid of. Get the Polybrute and have a lot of fun figuring out what else.

This is a slash and burn submission obviously.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “emotional attachments.” I mean, aren’t all musical instruments things we become emotionally attached to after a while? I think what you don’t get is that I’m sort of unique in the sense that I don’t care that much about a physical interface. If the PolyBrute came in a 3 space rack box with a power switch and nothing else, I’d get that version. I don’t need another keyboard and I already have another version of the PB’s Morphee. (Touché)

Anyway, I buy more for sonic character and feature sets. I like things with lots of modulation and places to get into trouble. The Peak stays because it offers a wide range of ways to get dirty, but you’re right in the sense that it could be the most obvious thing to ditch. The problem is, it’s on one of those tilt racks and therefore takes up so little space that there’s not much reason to get rid of it, and when I do go to it for what it does really well, it does it really well. My little collection probably doesn’t make sense to a lot of people, but in my little brain everything has a niche in a little ecosystem.

[edit] RYTM is “another story” because it’s the odd ball in the collection in the respect that it’s a drum synth, so it doesn’t really overlap with anything.
Lives for gear

Quote:

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “emotional attachments.” I mean, aren’t all musical instruments things we become emotionally attached to after a while? I think what you don’t get is that I’m sort of unique in the sense that I don’t care that much about a physical interface.
Alright just making sure

You did mention knobbiness and great interface pretty close together.

I just meant more emotional period than emotional plus really paid attention to.

No... your ecosystem I'm sure is a lot of fun. Just playing Tetris like Conan the Barbarian (for fun!). I'll do a slash and burn to some degree at some point. I tend to do things I hate like sell online in blocks instead of little by little. Just go into battle and then forget about selling on eBay for a long while.
Lives for gear

Quote:
a hobo from another dimension
This made me laugh.

You might need to watch this if you haven't already. I thought it was excellent (not for a laugh though).

Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear

I have a Dominion 1 & a Pro-2 sitting next to each other and a Pro-One next to them.

The Dom 1 & the Pro-2 are going in the attic soon, to make way for a Matriarch & (probably) a Virus Ti.

The Pro-One isn't moving. It just sounds so good. While the others do too, I find the Dom 1 interface a bit impenetrable at times. The Pro-2 is also a goodie but I just haven't clicked with it, not found its 'personality'. Same with the Dom 1 on that front.

Whereas the Pro-One has character in spades & it is so simple, yet involving. Also ancient, of course, so I'm trying out a Behr Pro-1 as a back-up.
Quote:
This made me laugh.

You might need to watch this if you haven't already. I thought it was excellent (not for a laugh though).

Yeah, my wife read the book and then we watched the series. We liked it, even though my wife tends to not like time travel fiction. I thought it was great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto View Post
I have a Dominion 1 & a Pro-2 sitting next to each other and a Pro-One next to them.

The Dom 1 & the Pro-2 are going in the attic soon, to make way for a Matriarch & (probably) a Virus Ti.

The Pro-One isn't moving. It just sounds so good. While the others do too, I find the Dom 1 interface a bit impenetrable at times. The Pro-2 is also a goodie but I just haven't clicked with it, not found its 'personality'. Same with the Dom 1 on that front.

Whereas the Pro-One has character in spades & it is so simple, yet involving. Also ancient, of course, so I'm trying out a Behr Pro-1 as a back-up.
All those synths sound great to me, though I had a go with a Virus Snow a few years ago and it sort of left me feeling a bit underwhelmed. I’d had a C back when they were new, and it was the centerpiece of my studio, but over time I think my tastes have changed.

I do agree with you on the Dominion’s interface, though. I could write a white paper on what’s wrong with it. I stumbled upon a preset where I wanted to alter it a bit and I could not figure out why my filter EG would not effect the sound at all. Also, would it have killed them to include a fine tune knob for each oscillator? Or at least on 2 and 3? The sound, however... [chefskiss]is magnifique.[/chefskiss] (though I probably should say “ Großartig.” )

My “problem,” (see also: not really a problem) is that over time I’ve developed a style that makes a synth like the Pro One/1 not fit with how I play. I’m not that big of a twist-knobs-while-I-play guy. I also tried building a small modular setup and I found I really didn’t like the patch cable thing. I can do it all day and night in Reaktor Blocks or Voltage Modular, but IRL, it feels too awkward and I tend to get lost. I found myself spending my entire studio time coming up with some cool patch and then never wanting to change it because I could never get back to it, or not easily. So, I’ll use the CV on the Dominion and Pro 2 a bit, but that’s about the extent I like that sort of thing. Mostly I find myself using the Dominion’s CV out to control a Roland Torcido.

In the end, it makes me miss out on what I know are a lot of excellent instruments. I’ve wanted a Vermona of some sort (maybe the ‘14 or ProFourMer) for years. The Matriarch demos sound fantastic to me. (the Mother 32 was part of my little modular rig) I’m happy to look on from a distance and enjoy the demos of those things and hear what you kids do with them.
Quote:
Alright just making sure

You did mention knobbiness and great interface pretty close together.

I just meant more emotional period than emotional plus really paid attention to.

No... your ecosystem I'm sure is a lot of fun. Just playing Tetris like Conan the Barbarian (for fun!). I'll do a slash and burn to some degree at some point. I tend to do things I hate like sell online in blocks instead of little by little. Just go into battle and then forget about selling on eBay for a long while.
Yeah, having the interface is not nothing, just less important than how it seems to a lot of people on here. I am definitely taking it into consideration, though. I see that there’s a 2019 version of the SE-1X now and it may indeed fit my needs, though I’d have to say auf wiedersehen (look at me using my high school German twice in one thread!) to all the Don’s lovely filter slopes/modes. That’s what makes it so difficult to give up, really.

I also can’t really do a purge that easily because I’ve sort of collected almost all the synths that work with how I play. There’s not really much to replace them with, which is why I’m super excited about the PolyBrute.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
Well, what I, eye, AYE would do, because I'm so brilliant and hand out wisdom like candy is
  • Sell the REV 2, Pro 2 and Analog Four
  • Buy the PolyBrute and a KingKORG, or maybe something quirky like a Radias or Roland JD-XA
  • Party like it's Christmas
The reason I'd sell the REV 2 is I'm betting I could get a lot of those textures with the Prophet~12. Analog Four seems redundant as carp with a Prophet~6 and PolyBrute or one of your other synths, but especially the PB. The Pro 2 is just a Pro 12 with better filters. I wouldn't be surprised if the PB makes the Dominion 1 seem a bit redundant after a while too.

The reason I'd get a KingKORG, Radias or JD-XA is those are just darn cool flexible synths, particularly the KK and JD. If you have a bunch of softies, it has less appeal but that real tube warmer is pretty nice. The JD really doesn't have anything similar, outside of the new Fantom which may well smoke it a little.

Of course , what I, eye, AYE would do is
  • Sell the Dominion 1, ATC-X, Pro 2, Analog Four and REV 2 unless it really hit a sweet spot somewhere
  • Buy a Fantom 7, PolyBrute, Pro 3, Arturia Origin, Radias and JD-XA, as well as a great vocal mic and some stellar monitors
But then, I have a basement all to myself.
Thats so random
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, having the interface is not nothing, just less important than how it seems to a lot of people on here. I am definitely taking it into consideration, though. I see that there’s a 2019 version of the SE-1X now and it may indeed fit my needs, though I’d have to say auf wiedersehen (look at me using my high school German twice in one thread!) to all the Don’s lovely filter slopes/modes. That’s what makes it so difficult to give up, really.

I also can’t really do a purge that easily because I’ve sort of collected almost all the synths that work with how I play. There’s not really much to replace them with, which is why I’m super excited about the PolyBrute.
This might help you in some way (or maybe it's just entertainment for the thread), but if you had to do a Sophie's choice, which 5 would you keep?

Pro 2
Dominion 1.
REV2 16
Prophet 6
ATC-X
002R
Prophet 12
Peak
Analog Four
Analog Rytm

The rest unfortunately have to be taken away by the Nasties (they simply won't allow more than 5 instruments and may come for more later...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
Well, what I, eye, AYE would do, because I'm so brilliant and hand out wisdom like candy is
I’ve lost about 10 lbs since March from eating low carb, so if you could make that candy out of Erythritol or stevia would be good.

Quote:
Sell the REV 2, Pro 2 and Analog Four
No, maybe, no. I actually did sell off my modern Curtis chip DSIs because I figured the Prophet 12 would do it in a smaller package, but a few months later I just found myself frustrated. I know they’re often despised by much of the GearSlutz community, but I find that family of synths to fill an important role in my music.

Quote:
Buy the PolyBrute
That’s the intention, yes.

Quote:
and a KingKORG, or maybe something quirky like a Radias or Roland JD-XA
I had a KingKORG. I liked it quite a bit, but the interface was meh, the keyboard was poor and in the end, I felt it sounded a little worse than some of the better software VA. I’ve considered the Radias and JD-Xa and neither of them really set me on fire with desire.

Quote:
Party like it's Christmas
I’m more of a Saturnalia kind of guy, but sure, I’m always up for a party. (As long as I can hit the hay by 11. When you party with me, you’re well rested!) In related news, my 7 year old hit me with the “I don’t believe in Santa, Leprechauns, The Easter Bunny or the Toothfairy,” in a very nonchalant way over lunch a few days ago. She’s not even lost a single baby tooth yet, so that’s quite a blow. I’m both sad my baby girl is gone and happy I’m raising someone with common sense and the ability to detect bullsh!t. “Really daddy? She travels the world collecting teeth? Really!?”

Quote:
The reason I'd sell the REV 2 is I'm betting I could get a lot of those textures with the Prophet~12.
Not as much as you’d think. It was a mistake to make the 12 less like the Evolver (Should have been the PolyEvolver 12) than it turned out. I almost bought a PolyEvolver rack but I got tired of waiting for one to surface. Ultimately it’s OK, as the 12 voices do let me to a lot of layered sounds that wouldn’t be possible in the PE.

Quote:
Analog Four seems redundant as carp with a Prophet~6 and PolyBrute or one of your other synths, but especially the PB.
The Analog Four has oddly become one of my favorite synths. It’s small form factor and quirky architecture make it ideal for weird feedback laden dreamy sounds. When you get the LFO up at audio rate and tracking the keyboard, some very interesting stuff is possible that none of the other synths I have can do. Plus, it can literally be put in a drawer and controlled with Overbridge so that means it doesn’t have much in the way of predators in my world.

Quote:
The Pro 2 is just a Pro 12 with better filters. I wouldn't be surprised if the PB makes the Dominion 1 seem a bit redundant after a while too.
It is and it isn’t, but I hear you on the redundancy issue. It’s a problem.(see also: not really a problem) Of course you were using shorthand, but there really should have been a Pro 12 that was a 12 voice Pro 2. Then we wouldn’t be having this conversation. There’s no doubt that I’d ditch the Prophet 12 for a polyphonic Pro 2.

Quote:
But then, I have a basement all to myself.
Yeah, houses in CA really don’t do basements. The ground tends to giggle a bit too much, I imagine. They’re also always so damn damp. I’ve actually turned my restricted space from a problem to an asset. I owned a condo 40 minutes away from here and there I had my own room, and boy did I go crazy stuffing it full of fun toys... to the point where it was just ridiculous.

The truth is, I don’t really need another synthesizer, but I sure do want one. More specifically, this one. It’s good that there’s a degree of “cost” involved, beyond monetary. I’m glad I’m not the guy who just buys every cool thing that they can afford. I get that I have overlap, but I also see that there are not really a lot of things made for guys like me.
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
This might help you in some way (or maybe it's just entertainment for the thread), but if you had to do a Sophie's choice, which 5 would you keep?

Pro 2
Dominion 1.
REV2 16
Prophet 6
ATC-X
002R
Prophet 12
Peak
Analog Four
Analog Rytm

The rest unfortunately have to be taken away by the Nasties (they simply won't allow more than 5 instruments and may come for more later...)
Don’t those guys just go away if you sing a heartfelt pop song about love? It’s odd that I’ve seen that movie probably 50 times and I can’t for the life of me remember how they defeat the Blue Meanies. Maybe because half the times I’ve seen it I was on acid... In other news, “Hey Bulldog” is the most overlooked rock songs of the 60s.

Anyway, I like what you’re trying to do, but it doesn’t really make sense to think of it that way due to how things are weighted in my mind. Things like the ATC-X and 002r have huge weight because they sound great and they effectively take up zero space. They’re in a rack under my desk, so they may as well be spectacular sounding plugins. Something like the Pro 2 has less weight per actual sound quality because it’s somewhat huge, especially for a mono. Same with the Dominion 1. The Peak could probably easily be given the ol’ heave ho, but it’s pretty small and on it’s angled stand takes up very little space. So, I could ditch the Peak, but that doesn’t give me any real extra space to put the PolyBrute.

I guess this would be an easier task if there was a poly wavetable hybrid module with a mod sequencer on board that I loved the sound of. The Prophet 12 is almost that, but no mod sequencer and the filters could sound a bit more beefy. That would turn the 12/2 duo into a single instrument. There’s just nothing that quite does it.
Old 21st September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
All controlled by a GEM S2, (not used for it’s ROMpler engine) and a Roli Rise 49.
Do you use the GEM S2 as your main sequencer or just a controller? If so, how do you like it?
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don’t those guys just go away if you sing a heartfelt pop song about love? It’s odd that I’ve seen that movie probably 50 times and I can’t for the life of me remember how they defeat the Blue Meanies. Maybe because half the times I’ve seen it I was on acid... In other news, “Hey Bulldog” is the most overlooked rock songs of the 60s.

Anyway, I like what you’re trying to do, but it doesn’t really make sense to think of it that way due to how things are weighted in my mind. Things like the ATC-X and 002r have huge weight because they sound great and they effectively take up zero space. They’re in a rack under my desk, so they may as well be spectacular sounding plugins. Something like the Pro 2 has less weight per actual sound quality because it’s somewhat huge, especially for a mono. Same with the Dominion 1. The Peak could probably easily be given the ol’ heave ho, but it’s pretty small and on it’s angled stand takes up very little space. So, I could ditch the Peak, but that doesn’t give me any real extra space to put the PolyBrute.

I guess this would be an easier task if there was a poly wavetable hybrid module with a mod sequencer on board that I loved the sound of. The Prophet 12 is almost that, but no mod sequencer and the filters could sound a bit more beefy. That would turn the 12/2 duo into a single instrument. There’s just nothing that quite does it.
Ok... you can sing us a heartfelt acid-pop song.
📝 Reply