The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Let's talk delay - Outboard or Pedals only!
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
  #151
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail
- Possibly the nicest BBD I've heard. I bought this recently, but returned it as the insert FX didn't work as I hoped (it sends the dry signal through clean and then simply has the insert FX on the output... So not much different from just adding an effect after this in the chain, apart from that it lets the dry through (can't see why anyone would really want that)). As a simple delay though it sounds utterly incredible. I had to return it to afford the DMB though...

Deluxe Memory Boy
Amazing, amazing, amazing. passes the entire signal around the FX loop between each tap (what I wanted but didn't get from the Vapor Trail)... So if you insert a pitch shifter, it shifts each tap further in pitch by the increment you set. Sounds amazing. So many other features on this unit. Everyone should have one.

Biyang AD10
Grungy digital delay. Has the revered PT2399 chip (as used in the Dreadbox Erebus). This chip is often sold in pedals marketed as 'analog delay' (eg Joyo) and it does have an analog vibe. The AD10 though has a switch to toggle between 600 or 1300 ms maximum delay time (you still have a knob for control of time, the switch just affects the range) and the 1300 ms mode is really pushing this chip, in a good way.

3-Head cassette deck
Any 3-head cassette deck can be used as a stereo tape delay. I have an Akai GX-M50 and it works a treat. Nicely narrows the bandwidth more with each pass.
Show replies
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
  #152
I'm not into retro gear though the Korg se-500 stage echo has CV inputs for speed, feedback and on/off.

Reminds me of the Moog delay CV control of these functions, which I use a lot ... the mf-107 envelope output into the mf-104m delay feedback for example.

The space case TE-2, so far only on breadboard and described in a manual, has much more extensive CV control. Remains to be seen if it really happens ... as mentioned earlier the project is really late now.

Here's the latest manual.

https://www.catskillanalog.com/
Show replies
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
  #153
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donato View Post
Out of my gear the Moogerfooger 104 is the least replaceable and IMO the best of the already excellent 'fooger line (never owned a freqbox or clusterflux however). Some think it's too dark, but I think it's gorgeous.
I had the original 104, sold it and today I have a 104m, which is clearly darker than my original 104. This makes it unusable for some kind of sounds, but it is still a great delay with additional functions like LFO and midi, which you don’t want to miss once you try them. Just check out if the dark sound is right for you before getting one 104.
Show replies
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
  #154
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Man View Post
Over here I’m using;

For those with the 104m does it excel at long or short delays, or good through a wide range ?
The 104m goes from 40 to 800 ms. A switch let you choose between two delay ranges. The longer range is also darker than the short one. The overall range is great for a BBD unit. Sometimes you would like to have even shorter times for special effects. But regarding the longest time, the 104m can be easily pushed beyond that limit just by pressing the manual tap with longer intervals than 800 ms. Then the internal filtering covering the clock noise get bypassed and you get very interesting longer delays with very lo-fi character and strange artifacts. Add expression inputs, midi control/sync and internal LFO for even more wacky sounds.
Show replies
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
  #155
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail
- Possibly the nicest BBD I've heard. I bought this recently, but returned it as the insert FX didn't work as I hoped (it sends the dry signal through clean and then simply has the insert FX on the output... So not much different from just adding an effect after this in the chain, apart from that it lets the dry through (can't see why anyone would really want that)). As a simple delay though it sounds utterly incredible. I had to return it to afford the DMB though...

Deluxe Memory Boy
Amazing, amazing, amazing. passes the entire signal around the FX loop between each tap (what I wanted but didn't get from the Vapor Trail)... So if you insert a pitch shifter, it shifts each tap further in pitch by the increment you set. Sounds amazing. So many other features on this unit. Everyone should have one.

Biyang AD10
Grungy digital delay. Has the revered PT2399 chip (as used in the Dreadbox Erebus). This chip is often sold in pedals marketed as 'analog delay' (eg Joyo) and it does have an analog vibe. The AD10 though has a switch to toggle between 600 or 1300 ms maximum delay time (you still have a knob for control of time, the switch just affects the range) and the 1300 ms mode is really pushing this chip, in a good way.

3-Head cassette deck
Any 3-head cassette deck can be used as a stereo tape delay. I have an Akai GX-M50 and it works a treat. Nicely narrows the bandwidth more with each pass.
Nice collection man

Deluxe memory boy I will take a look at.
Show replies
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
  #156
Gear Maniac
I only have old gear & hate pedals form factor, so only use rack units.
My favorite delays are

Korg DL8000R
Yamaha D5000
Show replies
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
  #157
Lives for gear
 
string6theory's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
Man, you thought it was delay
But it was a muffin


Sorry talking to your avatar do not mind me cannot resist


He was a humorist of the first order.

The Zappa Utility Muffin Research Kitchen is LEGEND.

Most folks don't realize how into synth and keyboard instruments Frank was. Although, I think most recognize his sound design, composing, arranging, guitar playing, recording and production expertise.



http://frankzapppa.blogspot.com/2013...h-kitchen.html


"The Utility Muffin Research Kitchen (UMRK) was the name of the recording studio that Frank Zappa had built and used extensively at his home for many of his musical recordings. The studio was completed on September 1, 1979 and the recording of several songs that were eventually released on the album You Are What You Is began in July 1980.
The first known mention of "Utility Muffin Research Kitchen" was in the 1975 song "Muffin Man" on the album Bongo Fury.

In the conclusion of Zappa's Joe's Garage, Joe, the protagonist gives in to conformity and gets a job on the assembly line at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen; the narration describing his job there is identical to the opening narration from "Muffin Man"."






Show replies
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk delay - Outboard or Pedals only!-zappa-u.m.r.k.-utility-muffin-research-kitchen-_10.jpg   Let's talk delay - Outboard or Pedals only!-zappa-u.m.r.k.-utility-muffin-research-kitchen-_11.jpg   Let's talk delay - Outboard or Pedals only!-zappa-u.m.r.k.-utility-muffin-research-kitchen-_12.jpg   Let's talk delay - Outboard or Pedals only!-zappa-u.m.r.k.-utility-muffin-research-kitchen-_13.jpg   Let's talk delay - Outboard or Pedals only!-zappa-u.m.r.k.-utility-muffin-research-kitchen-_16.jpg  

Let's talk delay - Outboard or Pedals only!-zappa-u.m.r.k.-utility-muffin-research-kitchen-_19.jpg   Let's talk delay - Outboard or Pedals only!-zappa-u.m.r.k.-utility-muffin-research-kitchen-_178.jpg   Let's talk delay - Outboard or Pedals only!-zappa-u.m.r.k.-utility-muffin-research-kitchen-_01.jpg   Let's talk delay - Outboard or Pedals only!-zappa-u.m.r.k.-utility-muffin-research-kitchen-_02.jpg   Let's talk delay - Outboard or Pedals only!-zappa-u.m.r.k.-utility-muffin-research-kitchen-_04.jpg  

Let's talk delay - Outboard or Pedals only!-zappa-u.m.r.k.-utility-muffin-research-kitchen-_03.jpg   Let's talk delay - Outboard or Pedals only!-zappa-u.m.r.k.-utility-muffin-research-kitchen-_07.jpg  
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
  #158
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post


He was a humorist of the first order.

The Zappa Utility Muffin Research Kitchen is LEGEND.

Most folks don't realize how into synth and keyboard instruments Frank was. Although, I think most recognize his sound design, composing, arranging, guitar playing, recording and production expertise.



http://frankzapppa.blogspot.com/2013...h-kitchen.html


"The Utility Muffin Research Kitchen (UMRK) was the name of the recording studio that Frank Zappa had built and used extensively at his home for many of his musical recordings. The studio was completed on September 1, 1979 and the recording of several songs that were eventually released on the album You Are What You Is began in July 1980.
The first known mention of "Utility Muffin Research Kitchen" was in the 1975 song "Muffin Man" on the album Bongo Fury.

In the conclusion of Zappa's Joe's Garage, Joe, the protagonist gives in to conformity and gets a job on the assembly line at the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen; the narration describing his job there is identical to the opening narration from "Muffin Man"."






Stringtheory I thought that was you in the photos for a second
Show replies
Old 24th September 2020
  #159
Lives for gear
 
soundebler's Avatar
Only have a EHX BBD delay and like to put compressor/gate and stereo chorus behind it to give it a wobbly effect , but overall BBD seem very usable in his field .


Edit , thought it where peddles only but my favorite delay is made of different delay used together , cassette delay and digital delay .
Show replies
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
  #160
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Nice collection man

Deluxe memory boy I will take a look at.
Show replies
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
  #161
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Damn this is really nice.
I own the Big Muff from these guys
Show replies
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
  #162
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Just curious, do you use this in a recording environment that is within your DAW. Does it have tap tempo?

I find with certain delays that don’t have midi sync clock, it can be a bit of pain to get your delay right.
Tap tempo doesn’t always work it seems, the delay is always a little in front or lagging. This can be great with some music, however when working with faster tempos and when you need a tight delay nothing beats syncing your delay via midi.
I do sometimes use analog delays that don’t have midi clock or tap tempo and just lock the delay using my ears

Keen to hear what others do here?
Show replies

Last edited by Looneytune; 24th September 2020 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: Darn iPhone
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
  #163
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
just lock the delay using my ears
Yeah, that's what I'm doing.

Though also when using this wacky pitch delay, It's also nice to have the delay time super short and so it just becomes part of the timbre of a big squelchy synth hit (sounds great on a 101 vintagey-style synth), rather than a rhythmic effect.

I was set-off on this mission by hearing the Rainbow Machine:



... But users complain about it having only a narrow pitch range available.

I therefore opted to buy the Deluxe Memory Boy + a pitch pedal for the DMB's effect loop.

It's not exactly the same effect as the R.M. as the R.M. has two separate pitch modulations.... But I really like the sound I'm getting.

You can also get a similar effect with the MS70-CDR:



Actually, that's a better example of the sound I like (the R.M. is totally capable of this).... BUT when you change the delay time on this particular (pitch delay) module on the MS70-CDR, the effect falls silent (cuts out) until it adjusts to the new delay time - rather than warping as an analogue delay would.

So right now I'm using a simple pitch shifter module (not pitch delay) on the MS70-CDR as it sits on the insert of the DMB. The DMB does the delays and the CDR does the pitch shift between taps.

I still plan to buy a R.M. eventually.
Show replies
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
  #164
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
what's the headroom on it? I mean how hot a signal can it take before it starts clipping/distorting?
Show replies
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
  #165
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm doing.

Though also when using this wacky pitch delay, It's also nice to have the delay time super short and so it just becomes part of the timbre of a big squelchy synth hit (sounds great on a 101 vintagey-style synth), rather than a rhythmic effect.

I was set-off on this mission by hearing the Rainbow Machine:



... But users complain about it having only a narrow pitch range available.

I therefore opted to buy the Deluxe Memory Boy + a pitch pedal for the DMB's effect loop.

It's not exactly the same effect as the R.M. as the R.M. has two separate pitch modulations.... But I really like the sound I'm getting.

You can also get a similar effect with the MS70-CDR:



Actually, that's a better example of the sound I like (the R.M. is totally capable of this).... BUT when you change the delay time on this particular (pitch delay) module on the MS70-CDR, the effect falls silent (cuts out) until it adjusts to the new delay time - rather than warping as an analogue delay would.

So right now I'm using a simple pitch shifter module (not pitch delay) on the MS70-CDR as it sits on the insert of the DMB. The DMB does the delays and the CDR does the pitch shift between taps.

I still plan to buy a R.M. eventually.
Nice one. Yeah just use your ears way to go

Sounds like you have it worked out.
What other fancy pedals do you own?

I took at look at the range of Elektro Harmonix Memory pedals and they have quite a few it seems?
Some high end ones in there too

Interesting
Show replies
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
  #166
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYT756 View Post
what's the headroom on it? I mean how hot a signal can it take before it starts clipping/distorting?
I believe all EHX delay pedals will happily eat line level.

That seems to be the case from posts here:
modern analog delay pedals that play nice with line level

Certainly this one I have is fine. Many demos with synths on Youtube.

Show replies
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
  #167
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Sounds like you have it worked out.
I'll try to get around to making a video of this pitch delay in action. It's been a mission to get there, but finally working as intended. I may later buy a Boss pitch shifter, but for now it works just fine with the MS70CDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
What other fancy pedals do you own?
I've gone a bit crazy recently with FX pedal purchases. Most are not fancy though.

I used to have a Shallow Water which was nice on synth, but ultimately too subtle to justify tying up €350 of asset into.

I have the TC Corona (stereo chorus) and TC Helix (stereo phaser), which are both nice.

Most of my other pedals were pretty cheap though... Vibratos, chorus, overdrives, distortion, delays, reverbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
I took at look at the range of Elektro Harmonix Memory pedals and they have quite a few it seems?
From EHX I have the aforementioned DMB, Platform (stereo compressor for my live rig) and tomorrow arrives the Bass Clone (mono chorus for bass (bass synths, in my case)).
Show replies
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
  #168
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
I'll try to get around to making a video of this pitch delay in action. It's been a mission to get there, but finally working as intended. I may later buy a Boss pitch shifter, but for now it works just fine with the MS70CDR.



I've gone a bit crazy recently with FX pedal purchases. Most are not fancy though.

I used to have a Shallow Water which was nice on synth, but ultimately too subtle to justify tying up €350 of asset into.

I have the TC Corona (stereo chorus) and TC Helix (stereo phaser), which are both nice.

Most of my other pedals were pretty cheap though... Vibratos, chorus, overdrives, distortion, delays, reverbs.



From EHX I have the aforementioned DMB, Platform (stereo compressor for my live rig) and tomorrow arrives the Bass Clone (mono chorus for bass (bass synths, in my case)).
Ha ha pedal crazy, love it. More the better, like you I went crazy there, I owned about 10 pedals over 8 years, namely Moog pedals plus a few others, however recently purchased the following in the space of 3 months:

Oto Bam, Bim and Boum - they are very unique boxes, extremely built well and will last me a life time in sound shaping possibilities. I also really like how they handle line level on my mixer.
I also purchased the Strymon Deco, Mobius and Volante, again very good quality pedals which handle line level. I do not like extra noise or having to reamp stuff.

The Strymon pedals are very WOW to me, especially the Mobius - it is my little go to for distortion above all else.

I got me a Eventide H9, however do not really fancy the Ipad thing, I hate gear that requires software control.

I also got me a few cheap 80's racks recently:
Alesis stuff
Ibanez AD 202 - Very decent analog delay.
Yamaha delay pedals, like the D1500

Would like to see your video, and remember keep chaining for that all marvelous tone sound
Show replies
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
  #169
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
The Strymon pedals are very WOW to me, especially the Mobius - it is my little go to for distortion above all else.

I got me a Eventide H9, however do not really fancy the Ipad thing, I hate gear that requires software control.
Ahhhh now that you remind me...

I had a Strymon El Capistan for a very brief while. I didn't like the way it crossfeeds each stereo channel into the other.

I also had an Eventide Space. That's real nice reverb, but again - I didn't get enough use out of it to justify having my funds tied up in it and sold it to buy something else I was gassing for.

[EDIT] I currently have the Behringer RV600, which does a rough & ready imitation of the Black Hole thing.
Show replies
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
  #170
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Ahhhh now that you remind me...

I had a Strymon El Capistan for a very brief while. I didn't like the way it crossfeeds each stereo channel into the other.

I also had an Eventide Space. That's real nice reverb, but again - I didn't get enough use out of it to justify having my funds tied up in it and sold it to buy something else I was gassing for.

[EDIT] I currently have the Behringer RV600, which does a rough & ready imitation of the Black Hole thing.
I had my eyes on the El Capistan, but I am like how the **** am I going to use all this gear, when? how?

Ha ha selling gear to buy more gear...

Hey see how Eventide released the Blackhole pedal? now that had me confused, I am like have they not done blackhole already? sounds like it is a dedicated Blackhole box, not sure. I stopped reading before I convinced myself into buying it.

I also noticed Strymon have released a new reverb box.
but now we are moving into reverb territory which interestingly enough on the right box sometimes delay can sound like reverb and reverb can sound like delay
Sometimes I program in a reverb and I am like I swear there is a delay in this chain, but no all reverb.
Show replies
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
  #171
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
I had my eyes on the El Capistan, but I am like how the **** am I going to use all this gear, when? how?
Grab a 3-head cassette deck. Can be had for under 100 €/£/$. Real-deal tape delay in true stereo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Hey see how Eventide released the Blackhole pedal? now that had me confused, I am like have they not done blackhole already? sounds like it is a dedicated Blackhole box, not sure. I stopped reading before I convinced myself into buying it.
Yeah, I felt that was a bit cynical, but I haven't actually looked into it whatsoever. My assumption is that it's a Space that's been intentionally crippled. Could be totally wrong and it's a whole new thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
but now we are moving into reverb territory which interestingly enough on the right box sometimes delay can sound like reverb and reverb can sound like delay
Sometimes I program in a reverb and I am like I swear there is a delay in this chain, but no all reverb.
Well, it's a fine line between the two. Essentially real-world reverberation is just a shedload of echos... And I think many reverb effects work on the same principles as a delay.
Show replies
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
  #172
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
Grab a 3-head cassette deck. Can be had for under 100 €/£/$. Real-deal tape delay in true stereo.



Yeah, I felt that was a bit cynical, but I haven't actually looked into it whatsoever. My assumption is that it's a Space that's been intentionally crippled. Could be totally wrong and it's a whole new thing.



Well, it's a fine line between the two. Essentially real-world reverberation is just a shedload of echos... And I think many reverb effects work on the same principles as a delay.
Yeah I really dislike it when Manufactures slaughter other product lines in their range in order to create new boxes, just make it totally new. But hey this might be totally new!
Real tape delay, yeah thats why I purchased the Akai reel to reel recently, just have not had the time to experiment with it.

Yes you are right, reverb is just loads of added and denser delay and delays all made up into one big black hole

How are you patching your pedals? are you going in via a mixer?
Show replies
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
  #173
Lives for gear
 
Simonator's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
How are you patching your pedals? are you going in via a mixer?
I have the DMB patched directly to my interface... Out > pedal > in. That way I can use it on anything from my DAW.

The other pedals are scattered at various points around the DAWless jamming area I have been creating. Some directly after synths, two as sends from a Mackie mixer.
Show replies
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
  #174
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
I have the DMB patched directly to my interface... Out > pedal > in. That way I can use it on anything from my DAW.

The other pedals are scattered at various points around the DAWless jamming area I have been creating. Some directly after synths, two as sends from a Mackie mixer.
Sounds good. Share some pics mate.....always keen to see other set-ups.
Show replies
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
  #175
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post
I believe all EHX delay pedals will happily eat line level.

That seems to be the case from posts here:
modern analog delay pedals that play nice with line level

Certainly this one I have is fine. Many demos with synths on Youtube.

cool thread, thanks for linking.
I'm asking mainly because I have a bigsky and while it can technically take 8dbu, it will distort (in a very ugly way) quite easily. which is particularly annoying once you start feeding it multiple signals and have a complex sound going on with other fx units in parallel. it might start clipping during a filter sweep/swell once the resonance starts getting out there but you'll only hear it on a loud mix volume since the other parts of the mix drown out the clipping. it has bit me a few times where I had to go back and re-record something so I'm a bit cautious with pedals now.
Show replies
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
  #176
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYT756 View Post
cool thread, thanks for linking.
I'm asking mainly because I have a bigsky and while it can technically take 8dbu, it will distort (in a very ugly way) quite easily. which is particularly annoying once you start feeding it multiple signals and have a complex sound going on with other fx units in parallel. it might start clipping during a filter sweep/swell once the resonance starts getting out there but you'll only hear it on a loud mix volume since the other parts of the mix drown out the clipping. it has bit me a few times where I had to go back and re-record something so I'm a bit cautious with pedals now.
Where are you putting BigSky in the signal chain?
Show replies
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
  #177
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Where are you putting BigSky in the signal chain?
it has its own channel in the mixer so I can route whatever I want in/out from it. A send essentially. I can solve the clipping by reducing the gain of the send(s) to it but it's not always that simple as it may affect other gain stages further down the line.
Show replies
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
  #178
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYT756 View Post
it has its own channel in the mixer so I can route whatever I want in/out from it. A send essentially. I can solve the clipping by reducing the gain of the send(s) to it but it's not always that simple as it may affect other gain stages further down the line.
Hmm I would of though turning down the send would resolve the problem.

I was thinking you had it connected as an insert maybe as being last in the chain.
I find when you stack certain pedals like this in serial it can def result in some pedals clipping

Happens to me sometimes except never on the send.

I know with some pedals there is just no way of controlling levels.
Show replies
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
  #179
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Hmm I would of though turning down the send would resolve the problem.

I was thinking you had it connected as an insert maybe as being last in the chain.
I find when you stack certain pedals like this in serial it can def result in some pedals clipping

Happens to me sometimes except never on the send.

I know with some pedals there is just no way of controlling levels.
I wasn't clear, turning down the send does fix the clipping issue, but then if the bigsky has its own send somewhere else, and so forth, it can mess the staging further down the road as you are getting less signal and other things start sounding louder or whatever. essentially need to "remix" the submix.

it's not the end of the world but it is annoying as it takes you out of the creative zone and into troubleshooting mode
Show replies
Old 25th September 2020
  #180
Gear Maniac
 

EHX Deluxe Memory Man has been my favorite delay since I got one 12 years ago. It's on the brighter side for a BBD and works great on nearly everything.

OTO BIM is fantastic, as has been mentioned. I haven't used mine much lately due to working ITB more but this thread has me wanting to hook it up again. I'll also give a shout out to Biscuit's delay, which is also great, especially for mangling sounds.

One pedal I haven't seen mentioned, likely because it's more guitar-oriented, is the Boss DM-2. I have the DM-2W and absolutely love it for unmodulated delays. The standard mode sounds beautifully dark and the custom mode's brighter sound and longer delay time give it some extra versatility. Between this and the EHX DMM I don't feel a need for another BBD.

I got a CBA Mood a few months ago and actually really enjoy the delays (including the reverb as a weird multitap delay) on that. Using the clock feature lets things go from very clean to different levels of degraded.

I'll also add, though not strictly a delay unit, Monomachine's delay is amazing. Every other Elektron delay I've used is pretty boring but MNM's delay has a lovely decay to it.

As much as I love the above mentioned delays, I use Ableton's Echo and Valhalla Delay for like 90% of my productions these days. The delays units all have something special about them though, which isn't captured in any plugin, so they stay.
Show replies
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 22 views: 2883
Avatar for tonejunkee
tonejunkee 16th January 2003
replies: 169 views: 48087
Avatar for warhead
warhead 9th August 2012
replies: 143 views: 42679
Avatar for unfiltered420
unfiltered420 12th June 2019
replies: 109 views: 7860
Avatar for bgood
bgood 30th April 2019
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump