Wood on synths, Yah or nay?
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear
@ flat you're damned if you do and buggered if you dont
to me it matters that you wood(sic ) say something, i like that
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Wood is good.

I can't even imagine most synths and much of any studio without it.

Anyone that thinks otherwise is an artificial plasticized metalhead. /s
Attached Thumbnails
Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-arturia-polybrute-analog-morphing-synth_23.jpg   Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-arturia-polybrute-analog-morphing-synth_29.jpg   Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-dsi-oberheim-ob-6-6_side-r-close.jpg   Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-dsi-oberheim-ob-6-6_side-r-1.jpg   Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-dsi-oberheim-ob-6-6_side-w-voyager-1-1-helios.jpg  

Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-moog-voyager-1-1-select-rme-.jpg   Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-oberheim-tvp-dual-synth-black.jpg   Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-sequential-prophet-6-6-lfe_08.jpg   Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-toft-pony-mixer.jpg   Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-fr-synth-rig_06_model-d-slim-phatty-minitaur.jpg  

Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-audiorax-ergoflow-racks.jpg   Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-arturia-matrixbrute_03.jpg   Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-dsc_0287.jpg   Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-dsc_0457.jpg   Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-hammond-a3-heritage-system-studio_09.jpg  

Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-hammond-a3-heritage-system-studio_12.jpg   Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-fr-setup-2020-jan_10.jpg   Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-dsc_0398.jpg  
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

There's tasteful, functional wood like this:

Then there's not.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear
does morning wood count?
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmer View Post
does morning wood count?
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by touched View Post

Then there's not.
This is gorgeous 🤗
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by touched View Post

Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
An ARP with no Dwayne Dibbley teeth!
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous ProtocoL View Post
In my opinion, the only thing wood is good for is burning.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Reporting for duty!
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
yeah older 50/60/80 do have real wood veneer over (i presume) particle board.

looks nice and is nice to touch. however, like all synths with wood veneers, if you make a larger dent you will see the insides.

i have one small dent on my CS50, but overall its gorgeous

korg monopoly is the same. compressed particle/chip substrate with veneer. once it starts delaminating after a dent it looks terrible.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYT756 View Post
korg monopoly is the same. compressed particle/chip substrate with veneer. once it starts delaminating after a dent it looks terrible.
get wood
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
Wood is good.

I can't even imagine most synths and much of any studio without it.

I think wood is looks good once you use a lot of it. if it's just a couple tiny pieces on a synth, it's pointless to me. I don't even see it.

Like the synths in your pics look nice, the wood stands out. But if you look at synths that have just a couple of pieces of wood for the side covers, it doesn't make any difference whatsoever, to me anyway. Might as well use whatever is cheaper and sturdier. It's literally token wood.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
get wood
I'm gonna gut the whole thing out of the chassis, remove the keyboard and use it as a module. I'll use a rough cut 2x4 for the new sidecovers.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm gonna gut the whole thing out of the chassis, remove the keyboard and use it as a module. I'll use a rough cut 2x4 for the new sidecovers.
that'll make a sweet module without its teeth
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

I want my keyboard synth decked out in lapis lazuli, with amethyst knobs and sapphire buttons, lit with LEDs from within, maybe a prasiolite or citrine cutoff knob, and clear quartz for any knobs that need to change color. Moonstone and labradorite or specular hematite keys.

The modules can have a malachite and copper theme; or garnet and rose gold; onyx and silver; sodalite and pewter, with ruby accents. Mother of pearl inlays, with mystic topazes as caps on top of quartz knobs. Maybe agate, onyx, chalcedony, granite for the budget gear.

You might think of petrified wood for the end caps, but I'm thinking of something lighter, like low grade opal, the kind that doesn't show any "fire".
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
I want my keyboard synth decked out in lapis lazuli, with amethyst knobs and sapphire buttons, lit with LEDs from within, maybe a prasiolite or citrine cutoff knob, and clear quartz for any knobs that need to change color. Moonstone and labradorite or specular hematite keys.

The modules can have a malachite and copper theme; or garnet and rose gold; onyx and silver; sodalite and pewter, with ruby accents. Mother of pearl inlays, with mystic topazes as caps on top of quartz knobs. Maybe agate, onyx, chalcedony, granite for the budget gear.

You might think of petrified wood for the end caps, but I'm thinking of something lighter, like low grade opal, the kind that doesn't show any "fire".
Apart from the "mystic topaz" you are on to something.

Far less gaudy than wood
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:

sorry chief, best I can do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293650837804
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Yah
Old 18th September 2020
I am a Nay for wood on synths. Never liked walnut sides on any synth.

-dj
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Looks good on the PRO3 SE.

Looks good on the Matrixbrute. The only thing that looks bad on that one is the ARTURIA logo. I don't even mind the name, it's the font used that I find repelling.

Looks bad on the Polybrute. The whole synths looks pretty meh to me.

Looks kinda classy on the Polar.

The Jupiter 6/8 would look horrible with woodsides. Doesn't work with the XTK either. Would probably look even worse on a V-synth.

It's all in how it's done. I'm not a big fan in general, but on some synths it looks great.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Someone mentioned the crappy particle board cabinets Korg was putting on their synths earlier, I replaced mine with these walnut guys and couldn’t be happier. Also I got a good deal on both of them because the original pieces were beat but the actual synths are in excellent shape. Also, here’s a flick of my Juno with wood. Personally I think the lighter wood really goes well with the 80’s aesthetic
Attached Thumbnails
Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-2ca8fc79-78bf-4916-befe-e4114a5a355b.jpg   Wood on synths, Yah or nay?-85472be6-6d14-4056-a378-c9a1173db7b6.jpg  
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Anything and everything except Red, Green, and Chrome. Brushed AL is G-0-0-D
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
Anything and everything except Red, Green, and Chrome. Brushed AL is G-0-0-D
RGB and glass(pc cases) are an abomination and need to die a quick death

brushed ally is good though
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
RGB and glass(pc cases) are an abomination and need to die a quick death

brushed ally is good though
LOL! Yeah silly looking computers are daft. Are LAN parties still a thing? 2nd life?
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear
dunno, i was never into lan parties. orgies yes, lan parties no
Old 18th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
dunno, i was never into lan parties. orgies yes, lan parties no
Different viral experiences altogether.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
sorry chief, best I can do.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293650837804
Bleccchh... sorry isn't good enough for that abomination. Now, a lapis panel, with some tasteful pyrite sparkles only seen in the sunlight, and lab-grown sapphire knobs and buttons, with gold trim and markings... that would look hella classy. All that gold on the Moog, so much gold everywhere, says you also own a pet miniature giraffe, and I most certainly do not.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
... so much gold everywhere, says you also own a pet miniature giraffe
"Opulence: I has it. I likes the best..."
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

In all seriousness, I'm a fan of wood trim on a synth but it really depends on the species. Hardwoods are king in the finish department, but oak and ash aren't particularly good for this purpose because of their coarse texture and end grain that just has to be sealed and edge banded (although oak stained in a satin black is a timeless finish.) Species like maple, cherry, walnut, poplar, wenge and zebrawood are really workable and produce a great finish, and the end grain doesn't have a tendency to check or split...
📝 Reply