The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Poly Brute
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

I didn't say I never liked the MB...
Lives for gear

that's true you said "very mixed feelings".

my bad!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

If only they made it an 8 voice synth... 6 voices is just too few for a polysynth imo
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPrinsen View Post
If only they made it an 8 voice synth... 6 voices is just too few for a polysynth imo
Nonsense. Just cut the fingers off your left hand.
We don't want any of those nasty jazz chords making a comeback anyway
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJustice View Post
Frédéric Brun, the Arturia boss, talks about the QC process in the "Making the PolyBrute" livestream at 1:07:27:
(click here to jump straight to that bit).
At 1:30:05 they answer a question about voice expansion. While some questions were met with a hard NO..I would have to say it seems to at least be something they have thought about.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not for me.
Sure, 8 would be better.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
Nonsense. Just cut the fingers off your left hand.
We don't want any of those nasty jazz chords making a comeback anyway
I agree on the jazz argument, but I’d like to be able to play at least 4 notes with a long release, then 4 new notes without cutting the release of the last notes. That’s only 1 finger left and 3 fingers right
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrypt View Post
So I wouldn't accuse someone of dishonesty just because they've never noticed something basic about an instrument they've played for decades.
That’s not what’s going on here. At least not in this case. This is more about hubris and a healthy dash of Dunning-Kruger effect. I make mistakes and spout out poor or misunderstood information all the time, but when someone like Monomer corrects me. (As he so often does!) I whole heartedly do a slap to my forehead and apologize. Maybe even a for good measure.

Let this be a lesson to us all. Just because a well known company has employed you as a spokes person, it doesn’t mean that you actually know what you’re talking about on every topic. I like Marc and subscribe to his channel, but a little bit of humility would go a long way in these situations. Belittling people on forums using your job description as a weapon is... These are harsh times. Let’s all try to be a bit more gracious, eh?
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
Let's discuss Sequential in another thread, yes?

I'm starting to get pretty sold on the idea of selling my Matrixbrute and Prologue for a Polybrute. Every time I try to think of a reason to keep the Matrixbrute, I go back to the thought that I really want to play it in poly mode. I've always wanted a true poly Matrixbrute. Three-voice paraphonic is just not cutting it for me.

I just hope I don't regret the sale, since I can't fund the PB without selling things first.
What else do you have in your studio for analog mono duties? I’m not trying to talk you out of doing that swap, but I’ve found that having at least one fat sounding analog mono is a must. It doesn’t have to break the bank, either. Something like one of the Behringer Pro 1s or Model Ds would be fine, or if you need a bit more under the hood, a Roland SE-02.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
Not for me.
Sure, 8 would be better.
I’m like a hermit crab. I grow into whatever note amount the synth I’m playing has. I just tailor my patches appropriately. I never want to do a four note chord on a sound with a lot of modulation happening, and that’s exactly my plan for this synth. Would 8 be better, especially with dual layer sounds? Sure, but I can always layer it with another synth.

To me, the fact that it’s coming in at $2,500 USD is more important than it having 8 voices. That’s a perfect sweet spot in my budget and when I think of something like the Prologue, I would happily trade all those extra voices for a feature set that is more to my liking.
Lives for gear

I don't think I'll notice the 6-voice restriction as much on the PB, particularly with those lovely reverb/delay algorithms inside. I'll resort to the other polys for sounds where note stealing could be an issue. And my left hand is going to be kept busy, so there will be fewer fingers available anyway.

PS, they reckon the inside is pretty full, so I'll be interested to see photos of the case open at some stage..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
What else do you have in your studio for analog mono duties? I’m not trying to talk you out of doing that swap, but I’ve found that having at least one fat sounding analog mono is a must. It doesn’t have to break the bank, either. Something like one of the Behringer Pro 1s or Model Ds would be fine, or if you need a bit more under the hood, a Roland SE-02.
My rig is very very small compared to most. My only other mono is an Erica DB-01. I plan on getting a Moog or Moog-like instrument in the future, but it's low on my priority list. Either a Model D if I'm going cheap or a Subsequent 37 if I'm treating myself.
Gear Guru

Quote:
My rig is very very small compared to most. My only other mono is an Erica DB-01. I plan on getting a Moog or Moog-like instrument in the future, but it's low on my priority list. Either a Model D if I'm going cheap or a Subsequent 37 if I'm treating myself.
That’s your only mono?! HOW DARE YOU?! How dare you?!

I just listened to this demo of it:

That muther is fat as fuk. No need to apologize for that. It sounds fantastic to me. I’d say you definitely have far-VCO-mono covered, so season to taste, as they say.
Lives for gear

Quote:
What about Prophet 5 then? I just learned that 10 voices are too much, "playing styles" you know.
Do you want to confuse me? And also some people say: 6 voices is just perfect, like the optimum.
Don't know what to believe now.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonStrom View Post
So for kwaping, who asked, if selling the MxB (which s/he likes) and getting the PxB, is a good move,

your answer, that you'd never regretted selling the MxB makes not much sense, since you neither liked the MxB nor do like the PxB.

sorry for being so smartassy
Didn’t read anything after this.... but don’t be smartassy......
Lives for gear

Time to be Enveloped by Marc Doty:

The most useful feature of these Envs to me is velocity to Env Shorten. You can imitate the behavior of a TB-303 by sending velocity over a certain amount to shorten the decay env like a 303 does. Then add Filter / res at the same velocity and you have the accent behavior,

Last edited by REwire; 3 weeks ago at 11:47 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Rob Lowe View Post
Didn’t read anything after this.... but don’t be smartassy......
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
Time to be Enveloped by Marc Doty:

The most useful feature of these Envs to me is velocity to Env Shorten. You can imitate the behavior of a TB-303 by sending velocity over a certain amount to shorten the decay env like a 303 does. Then add Filter / res at the same velocity and you have the accent behavior,
Sounds more useful than this silly looping. Never unstood whats all the fuzz about looping env.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark View Post
Sounds more useful than this silly looping. Never unstood whats all the fuzz about looping env.
If you have a Serge, Buchla, Synthi or even a Maths you'd appreciate looping envs not for what Marc was doing, repeating the whole ADSR stages but using the Env as a shapeable LFO.

Last edited by REwire; 3 weeks ago at 03:50 AM..
Lives for gear
Quote:
I love using looooong looping envelopes in drones.
Or the opposite: audio rate looping envelopes.
Lives for gear

If you guys need that, ok. I prefer to combine two LFOs with equal rate and variable initial phase to create more complex LFO shapes. I would always prefer to solve such stuff using actual LFOs (like in the Peak).
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you guys need that, ok. I prefer to combine two LFOs with equal rate and variable initial phase to create more complex LFO shapes. I would always prefer to solve such stuff using actual LFOs (like in the Peak).
Two remarks.
- (analog) looped envelopes give a shape not commonly available on LFO's.
- Sometimes resources are tight. If you're out of LFO's then you'll be glad if a loopable envelope is available.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by REwire View Post
If you have a Serge, Buchla, Synthi or even a Maths you'd appreciate looping envs not for what Marc was doing, repeating the whole ADSR stages but using the Env as a shapeable LFO.
I first discovered this on Ensoniq synths. Really useful.
Lives for gear

Quote:
What about Prophet 5 then? I just learned that 10 voices are too much, "playing styles" you know.
Do you want to confuse me? And also some people say: 6 voices is just perfect, like the optimum.
Don't know what to believe now.
If made by Moog Music Inc., 1 voice is enough, apparently. Sequential can get away with 5 voices in 2020, which is bizarre for a voice architecture that simple. No idea why anyone wouldn't go for the Prophet 10 really. I always regretted not getting the 30-voice version of the Waldorf XT- - if only I'd known that 10 voices would already be too many

6 voices on the PB is probably okay, but it does make me pause for thought at that price point as it does seem slightly limiting. They would be mad not to bring out a 12-voice version if the case can fit a larger PCB.

Anyone opened one up yet?
Lives for gear

Quote:
6 voices on the PB is probably okay, but it does make me pause for thought at that price point as it does seem slightly limiting. They would be mad not to bring out a 12-voice version if the case can fit a larger PCB.

Anyone opened one up yet?
If they went with 12 voices, I would be seriously worried about the build quality.
Less is more. I mean, 6 voices working for the next 30 years is better than 12 voices working just beyond warranty.
Lives for gear

Quote:
If they went with 12 voices, I would be seriously worried about the build quality.
Less is more. I mean, 6 voices working for the next 30 years is better than 12 voices working just beyond warranty.
PCBs are all assembled by robot now anyway, regardless of the voices..
The only issue is the physical space inside that case, and perhaps some problems with overheating, although there are already temperature sensors on the boards.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Don't forget weight too, those big Brutes are really heavy already!

And not just the sound. 😁
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't forget weight too, those big Brutes are really heavy already!

And not just the sound. 😁
I wonder how much the voice cards add in weight. The 16V Moog One is usually listed at the same weight as the 8V. Can’t imagine a card weighing more than half a pound or so. Of course if the PB were 12V the chassis would probably be larger and heavier.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyaguy View Post
I wonder how much the voice cards add in weight. The 16V Moog One is usually listed at the same weight as the 8V. Can’t imagine a card weighing more than half a pound or so. Of course if the PB were 12V the chassis would probably be larger and heavier.
Wooden end pieces / casing is heavy, as is metal base / top. Maybe also internal PSU. PCBs are not heavy, regardless of voice-count, when compared to other parts of the synth.
Lives for gear

Quote:
PCBs are all assembled by robot now anyway, regardless of the voices..
The only issue is the physical space inside that case, and perhaps some problems with overheating, although there are already temperature sensors on the boards.
Sure, but more components of the same quality cost more and require more testing.
📝 Reply