The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia Poly Brute
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
Why do I keep thinking, "This would look GREAT in grandma's living room!"
I wasn't gonna say anything, because I think it's endearing, but when I first saw it I thought, "Palm Springs condo watching reruns of Star Trek The Next Generation". Still, I'd rock one.
Old 18th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuggaMahone View Post
I wasn't gonna say anything, because I think it's endearing, but when I first saw it I thought, "Palm Springs condo watching reruns of Star Trek The Next Generation". Still, I'd rock one.
Ha! It'd be more like, "modest beach-community home watching reruns of Murder She Wrote." The person you described would be me, but in a condo on Kauai (yeah, in my dreams).
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Is there a check routine program to check if the product is working properly?
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance View Post
The more (good) demos I hear, the less concerned I am about “only” 6 voices spread across 61 keys.

This is one of those synths where you can have a split, play a lead with one hand (or chords) and a bass line with the other, and the character of each note is so full you won’t want a lot of notes playing at the same time. On the contrary, it will tend to sound congested quickly, because of the sonic space taken up with each note.
I see a lot of people talking about the amount of notes per octave, but to me what’s more important is the ability to have a wide range on a keyboard.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
Ok you convinced me lol. But what about the people who just can’t accept that Arturia did something good?
Sometimes I hear a new synth when it comes out and I think, “Oh, I really dig that, but I know many will hate it.” Synths like that come to mind are the modern Dave Smith Curtis based synths and the Analog Four. In this case, I’m honestly surprised. There’s a bit of buzz on the highs, but they still seems sweet to me and there’s plenty of sweet spots where it sounds pretty rich. The Brute Factor and Metalizer, which I kind of hated on the Minibrute, seem more refined and more useful on this synth. Sometimes it sounds like 1974, sometimes it sounds like 2074. Plenty of modulation, performance options galore. 61 keys. Decent price. I could see nit picking it if it were $4000, but at $2500, seems it would be a no brainer, even if you weren’t in love with the base tone and just wanted to experiment with the patch morphing.
Old 18th September 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I could see nit picking it if it were $4000, but at $2500, seems it would be a no brainer, even if you weren’t in love with the base tone and just wanted to experiment with the patch morphing.
You do have a good point here. The value prop seems great. I would love a Moog One, but I don't know if it's worth it (and I'd get the 8 voice). If they were the same price I'd definitely get the Moog One (or even at $3K - 2 extra voices...) Probably even $3500 and I'd go for the Moog One. But this PolyBrute is very tempting. Smart price point.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear
when i first heard this polybrute was coming i thought maybe i would sell my matrixbrute because hey it's a poly, in truth after watching a bunch of videos the Matrixbrute i own seems more impressive to me and i get yes its a mono and not a poly, two different applications but the matrixbrute to me looks like a more impressive instrument all around.
Old 18th September 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
when i first heard this polybrute was coming i thought maybe i would sell my matrixbrute because hey it's a poly, in truth after watching a bunch of videos the Matrixbrute i own seems more impressive to me and i get yes its a mono and not a poly, two different applications but the matrixbrute to me looks like a more impressive instrument all around.
The MatrixBrute is a future classic IMO. PolyBrute - who knows? Only gotten some captive demos (industry players - let's face it). I won't be first in line.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gminorcoles View Post
anti-Arturia people are correct

soul-less
thin
not good

i am laughing that this is what people think is good

unimpressed, this is a very pedestrian synth

the basic sound is weak
Nonsense, this is a troll quote from a troll.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by touched View Post
You do have a good point here. The value prop seems great. I would love a Moog One, but I don't know if it's worth it (and I'd get the 8 voice). If they were the same price I'd definitely get the Moog One (or even at $3K - 2 extra voices...) Probably even $3500 and I'd go for the Moog One. But this PolyBrute is very tempting. Smart price point.
Yeah, I can’t quite tell if the Moog One isn’t that great or if I expect something earth shattering for the price. While I was never one of the haters, I also never felt that excited about it. Maybe because it was so out of my range, my subconscious just never took a close look at it. Pulse, fan issues and software bugs... easy to just put it out of the realm of possibilities.

This thing, though, seems like a similar concept but a bit less over the top. I thought the third oscillator on the One was a bit ridiculous. If your VCO analog can’t sound fat with two oscillators, you’ve failed.
Old 18th September 2020
vlz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by string6theory View Post
That's how I have my Voyager Select and RME setup, as a Two-Voice, like the Oberheim, which is now actually a Three-Voice since the addition of a SEM Pro (I run the SEM Pro up the middle and hard pan SEM's A/B on the TV, it's glorious & monstrous! ).
ah, now I remember that from before. Yep, that's right, three voice!
Old 18th September 2020

Quote:
Yeah, I can’t quite tell if the Moog One isn’t that great or if I expect something earth shattering for the price. While I was never one of the haters, I also never felt that excited about it. Maybe because it was so out of my range, my subconscious just never took a close look at it. Pulse, fan issues and software bugs... easy to just put it out of the realm of possibilities.

This thing, though, seems like a similar concept but a bit less over the top. I thought the third oscillator on the One was a bit ridiculous. If your VCO analog can’t sound fat with two oscillators, you’ve failed.
I agree with you but I love the idea of a third oscillator... just because. It's one thing that makes the MemoryMoog so interesting too.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiorange View Post
The sound of Phaedra is just classic, but it is not the only one sound of 70’s synths. Oxygene and Trans Europe Express do sound very different.
They are irrelevant to demo we were talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiorange View Post
Look at Phaedra with a spectrum analyzer. It seems like the whole recording is lowpassed. Maybe a try to hide unwanted hiss and unwanted noise? Definitively not the powerful sparkling sound Wendy Carlos gets from the same Moog synth many years before.
All youtube videos are lowpassed
The MP3 format has a technical limitation that forces a trade-off: the more accurately the highest frequency band (16 KHz and up, normally) is encoded, the greater the space required to encode the lower frequency bands with similar quality.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Here's a fun little read from six years ago!

If Arturia released a Polybrute
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post
mods might aswell close that and continue it here.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaping View Post

If Arturia released a Polybrute
Perhaps it's a time to start a new tread - "If Arturia released a WaveBrute"
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz View Post
I don't know if this video was posted here yet, but it compares some of the presets with the built-in effects turned on and off.

My impressions are, this thing sounds huge even without the effects.

As a former Andromeda owner, this thing is checking a lot of boxes for me. Just wish I was more wealthy.
Nothing wrong with the sound without FX, often sounds better for the pluck sounds.

The deal breaker woud be sticky knobs.
And this something not predictable by now.

I have the feeling, their lower priced units are designed like one-way utilities finding their way sooner or later into garbage (after warranty has expired of course). It is made in China stuff after all. So many somebody could report whether there are sticky keys on the matrix brute after years of use.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Re; the comparison with that Phaedra track all the way back, I'v realised another key difference. That Phaedra track is from 1973, with all the low-end bias in the recording which you'd expect from that era. Those two polybrute tracks, were they recorded on big studio analog tape and an analog desk like these , with less of the digital effects, I think would sound pretty impressively close to these two later '70s eras of synth sound.

Last edited by wendell r.; 18th September 2020 at 08:40 AM..
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb View Post
They are irrelevant to demo we were talking about

All youtube videos are lowpassed
The MP3 format has a technical limitation that forces a trade-off: the more accurately the highest frequency band (16 KHz and up, normally) is encoded, the greater the space required to encode the lower frequency bands with similar quality.
Who said I based my statement on the band limited YouTube version?
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Addict

Reading through the manual...

Snapshots!
Random!
Morph!

All the exploring stuff that i love on my nord a1 but in a vco poly!

Gas explosion.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Sometimes I hear a new synth when it comes out and I think, “Oh, I really dig that, but I know many will hate it.” Synths like that come to mind are the modern Dave Smith Curtis based synths and the Analog Four. In this case, I’m honestly surprised. There’s a bit of buzz on the highs, but they still seems sweet to me and there’s plenty of sweet spots where it sounds pretty rich. The Brute Factor and Metalizer, which I kind of hated on the Minibrute, seem more refined and more useful on this synth. Sometimes it sounds like 1974, sometimes it sounds like 2074. Plenty of modulation, performance options galore. 61 keys. Decent price. I could see nit picking it if it were $4000, but at $2500, seems it would be a no brainer, even if you weren’t in love with the base tone and just wanted to experiment with the patch morphing.
Fair enough.

On the flipside 2.5k in Euros, pounds or dollars is a lot of money for a product made by a company not known for high quality hardware, who make cheap controllers like Beat Step and Key Step for under a hundred bucks and cheap VSTi collections. Well, cheap, considering there is always some £200 deal on for the entire collection, which I think now contains over 20 instruments, so £10 a pop...

Hi, we're Arturia, we've only been in the synth making game just over 5 years and some of our products have flaky build quality, hows about you pay us AS MUCH as you would have to pay Dave Smith (who invented MIDI and made the first popular analog poly, plus has a 50 year legacy) for one of his handmade in San Francisco synths for our mass produced in China model, which looks and sounds good, but may have issues.

I think it looks& sounds great, but it IS expensive and it may turn out to have issues relating to both build quality and firmware and it should really have had 8 voices.

It is also VERY heavy - why is it TWICE as heavy as all its rivals?
3 times the weight of an 8 voice Prologue 8 (and those aren't shoddily built, their Japanese made, which is a rare thing these days).

Dave Smith isnt a company also known for making 89 dollar mini keys and 99 buck sequencers...in that sense, there is something of an image problem - perhaps they should have done a Toyota/Lexus branding thing, this smacks a little of Skoda trying to sell you a Skoda branded Ferrari rival for Ferrari money...
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

The extensive wood must be a big part of the weight, I think.

Also, as a big fan of Dave Smith too, I would say Arturia have quite strongly carved a name for themselves in the analog synth world in the time since the Minibrute. Dreadbox have only been around since about 2014/15 too, for instance, and have still been able to establish a solid reputation in that time, and the Minibrute as the first of Arturia's analog line was all the way back in 2012 now, I think.

Last edited by wendell r.; 18th September 2020 at 09:53 AM..
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
The extensive wood could be a big part of the weight, I think.

Also, as a big fan of Dave Smith too, I would say Arturia have quite strongly carved a name for themselves in the analog synth world in the time since the Minibrute. Dreadbox have only been around since about 2014/15 , for instance, and have still been able to establish a solid reputation in that time, and the Minibrute as the first of Arturia's analog hardware was back in 2012 now, I think.
Yeah, but Dreadbox is seen as cool, a cool small, bespoke, boutique company making exotic products.

Arturia is a mixed bag, cheap controllers, budget synths, affordable plugins, cheap drum machines and now 2 high end analog synths...

With Dsi you have the 2.5k OB6 and P6 and the 1.5k Tempest drum machine.

With Arturia you have the 2k mono, 2.5k poly and a sub 250 notes bargain basement drum machine - I can't imagine Sequential ever selling a $250 drum machine....
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell r. View Post
Sound is also very subjective ;.) I hear a 3d and pretty firmly and nicely organic sound, myself, much more so than the Minibrute for instance. The subtlety and detail in it reminds me much more of the 70's than several other modern analogs.

What's that warbling I hear at 6:00 when he moves a waveform shape knob? Shouldn't it be a smooth transition between say tri and saw but it sounds like the sound has to settle for a second or so after a knob is moved. Sounds like its going through a s/h on the filter or something. Initially I thought it was beating between notes of a chord but it happens on a single note as well.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeGee View Post
Yeah, but Dreadbox is seen as cool, a cool small, bespoke, boutique company making exotic products.

Arturia is a mixed bag, cheap controllers, budget synths, affordable plugins, cheap drum machines and now 2 high end analog synths...

With Arturia you have the 2k mono, 2.5k poly and a sub 250 notes bargain basement drum machine - I can't imagine Sequential ever selling a $250 drum machine....
Don't forget the modern incarnation of Sequential, after such a long time out, was originally built off the back of ultra-cheap spinoffs of the Prophet 08 for the mass market, like the Mopho - in fact this is basically how Dave Smith built the whole modern analog mass market between around 2008-2012.

For Arturia, I would say they've just got round this by being massively ambitious - the Matrixbrute, as way more adventurous and ambitious than most other monosynths of the time, and the sort of thing people used to say in the early 2000s would never be built again ; like a space-ship from 1978 mixed with digital control, is probably the absolute last thing you would have expected a software company with one little monosynth to their name to have produced - and since the Matrixbrute was a success, this synth continues in the same vein of surprising and ambitious, I would say.

Last edited by wendell r.; 18th September 2020 at 11:31 AM..
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstino View Post
what functionality in the matrix brute makes it better ? its a genuine question as i have considered one and also considering the Pb , sonically i guess the Pb can cover the same territory ? is there some major difference in terms of sound and function that makes the matrix brute better ?
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:

I think it looks& sounds great, but it IS expensive and it may turn out to have issues relating to both build quality and firmware and it should really have had 8 voices.

It is also VERY heavy - why is it TWICE as heavy as all its rivals?
3 times the weight of an 8 voice Prologue 8 (and those aren't shoddily built, their Japanese made, which is a rare thing these days).
i think price wise its what you have to pay for this amount of sound and feature , its expensive only relative to your budget , 2k for a synth like this is not expensive , not when you consider the price of an akai s6000 new or tons of other synths and samplers .

Look at old gears rrp , then you realise were basically becaome cheap goods comsumers and are totally lost in this idea everything should be cheap.

And heavy ? are you planning on flying with it or doing gigs ? aside from that who gives a fk how heavy it is , its a sign of a well built synth and every good vintage poly synth that people still rave over is as heavy .
Old 18th September 2020
Kja
Lives for gear
To be clear, I never said this didn't sound good.. I think it sounds great. You guys had me thinking I was crazy untell I played my p6 last night, I made a patch that sounded like the synth wanted to cry.. this synth just didn't have THAT sound.. I'm sure it's not a bad thing.. people say the p6 is a dark synth, it is.. but it sounds emotional. Like another said, this sounds like really good analog fizzyness flying around being modulated to me, not as much a coherent emotion in the sound.. or a feeling of this sounding like a physical thing that made the sound, that is something both the ob6/p6 do well. Now, this does sound like a massive sounding vintage poly.. I guess more cs-80 then a prophet 5 or obxa as a comparison.
Maybe not having a soul was the wrong words.. just not as coherent a sound I guess. I do think this sounds impressive of course.. you would have to be mad to think otherwise. Love the wooden legs too!! And the little morphe friend hanging out with you to hold your cigarette or give you a hand when your playing!!
Sadly for me, this is just too damn big and heavy for me to consider, I'm much too mobile to have something like this.. same with the Moog one for me that is also too big.. but again, I think the Moog one sounds incredible too and disagree it sounds second to anything, I have heard amazing things from that synth too. We are spoiled for choice and there is no wrong answer, just what you like the most.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelizer View Post
What's that warbling I hear at 6:00 when he moves a waveform shape knob? Shouldn't it be a smooth transition between say tri and saw but it sounds like the sound has to settle for a second or so after a knob is moved. Sounds like its going through a s/h on the filter or something. Initially I thought it was beating between notes of a chord but it happens on a single note as well.
No such thing is happening on the synth or in the video - all tweaking on the PB is very smooth, no stepping or zippers anywhere.

In the video, the speech uses a pretty deep ducker for the synth - this can throw you off for sure. Same with the edits. Great demo though!
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:

Is that the same dsi that had all the quality issues with encoders?
📝 Reply