The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Maschine standalone - Maschine+ is here!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3241
Here for the gear
 
Sancho Pantches's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Personally I hope they don’t add too much more, with Clips now the product is mostly complete, software wise.

VST3 is coming, PDC has never been confirmed but is needed.. and some automation improvements like recording mutes and solos would be appreciated. Maybe something to record multiple inputs into multiple sampling instances.

Anything beyond that is starting to bloat.
I would definitely like to see "recording mutes and solos", since NI sold us now abandoned JAM, years ago with that lie sticker on the box.
Also it would be nice to be able to occasionally record or edit the automation over 2 or more scenes, without ruing the rest of automation on the track.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3242
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
ouch....reeks like a legacy codebase that is so hard and expensive to maintain it kills of product-owners/managers because the team isn't able to deliver new features with a steady heartbeat and quality. I know, i've been there before, several times. It's tough...

On the other hand, the new Clips feature might be an indication that things can be turned around. Let's see what happens, we should see 1 or 2 new features coming up in the upcoming non-patch releases...
It's very unfortunate yes. To me it feels more like Native-Instruments dropped the ball about 10 years ago and just went full 100% psycho corporate. They had a huge amount of products with potential that got dropped. Men in suites that know absolutely nothing about the target market. That's how it's felt pretty much ever since.

The original KORE and KORE 2 product line. Those were much more capable than the current .NKS system and had amazing potential. Tons of promises were made but they were then simply dropped.

NI Maschine has had incredible potential right from the get-go (I got my first Maschine at version 1.2 something.. so a long time ago, currently a Maschine Mini mk2 owner) but for some reason it all got sort of abandoned for a long time. Then we finally got version 2.0 and it was a real dumpster fire.

NI Jam.. whatever happened to that?

NI are "weird".. they have such a mixed bag of ridiculously good products and really poorly done follow through. It's as if they are in a constant identity crisis mode.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3243
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
It's very unfortunate yes. To me it feels more like Native-Instruments dropped the ball about 10 years ago and just went full 100% psycho corporate. They had a huge amount of products with potential that got dropped. Men in suites that know absolutely nothing about the target market. That's how it's felt pretty much ever since.

The original KORE and KORE 2 product line. Those were much more capable than the current .NKS system and had amazing potential. Tons of promises were made but they were then simply dropped.

NI Maschine has had incredible potential right from the get-go (I got my first Maschine at version 1.2 something.. so a long time ago, currently a Maschine Mini mk2 owner) but for some reason it all got sort of abandoned for a long time. Then we finally got version 2.0 and it was a real dumpster fire.

NI Jam.. whatever happened to that?

NI are "weird".. they have such a mixed bag of ridiculously good products and really poorly done follow through. It's as if they are in a constant identity crisis mode.
Nothing strange or surprising here I think. The original founders (all but) left, private/VC capital coming in, organisation growing and expanding. This happens all the time. The challenge is to keep focus on what made you a great company in the first place, what problems are you solving and how you are executing this, and making sure you get the right people in house that can actually deliver on your (marketing) promises.

Nothing is ever easy, and almost no engineer likes to work on somebody else's code-base, especially if the original developers are gone and there is no real documentation, test and tools in place. Which happens more often than not.

Again, the clips are a small sign that the Maschine team might be capable of improving the current software with a regular heartbeat and a realistic velocity. Let's see what happens...
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3244
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post

NI are "weird".. they have such a mixed bag of ridiculously good products and really poorly done follow through. It's as if they are in a constant identity crisis mode.
On the face of it, it seems like the age-old classic case of a "company" becoming a "large company":

Too many people, too many decision-makers, too many opinions leads to too much compromise, lack of vision, lack of execution. This is also when the visionary people usually leave to form their own small businesses, leaving behind a majority of corporate types and people whose expertise and interest revolves mainly around money.

The just about only interest I've had in NI products for the last 10 years has been a forced interest because Kontakt is still such an industry standard platform for sample libraries...
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3245
Lives for gear
If all I got were stability updates, I would be just fine with the M+. Some days I don’t have any crashes and the Midi Input works fine, but other days that isn’t the case unfortunately. Hopefully the updates “in the coming weeks” do materialize and these issues are addressed.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3246
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
Nothing strange or surprising here I think. The original founders (all but) left, private/VC capital coming in, organisation growing and expanding. This happens all the time. The challenge is to keep focus on what made you a great company in the first place, what problems are you solving and how you are executing this, and making sure you get the right people in house that can actually deliver on your (marketing) promises.

Nothing is ever easy, and almost no engineer likes to work on somebody else's code-base, especially if the original developers are gone and there is no real documentation, test and tools in place. Which happens more often than not.

Again, the clips are a small sign that the Maschine team might be capable of improving the current software with a regular heartbeat and a realistic velocity. Let's see what happens...
I don't know the clips feature has been in the works for years. That's not a sign of vibrant development imo. They have released a few other smaller features here and there though so who knows.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3247
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse View Post
I don't know the clips feature has been in the works for years. That's not a sign of vibrant development imo. They have released a few other smaller features here and there though so who knows.
it's clear that for the last few years the focus was definitely NOT on software like Maschine and Traktor. We can only guess why. Maybe lack of experienced developers, maybe different focus, who knows.

But Traktor got a new release, with long outstanding features (to little to late, but anyway), and Maschine+ surfaced, and Clips appeared. So who knows if things can be put right.

If a Steve Jobs type would come in, he or she would start cutting products immediately, and only have the company focus on it's most important 2 or 3 products, and work from there. I guess Traktor still has some live in it, Maschine is now revived with the M+, and we have Kontakt and all it's sample-libraries. All other stuff would probably be cut away, one could argue that Reaktor is a core engineering platform to quickly develop new instruments and effects for the ecosystem, but to me it would make more sense to outsource this business and focus on Kontakt, Maschine and Traktor.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3248
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Personally I hope they don’t add too much more, with Clips now the product is mostly complete, software wise.

VST3 is coming, PDC has never been confirmed but is needed.. and some automation improvements like recording mutes and solos would be appreciated. Maybe something to record multiple inputs into multiple sampling instances.

Anything beyond that is starting to bloat.
VST3 is coming?Afaik there is absolutely nothing confirmed or announced in this regard.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3249
Lives for gear
 
basehead617's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmq75 View Post
VST3 is coming?Afaik there is absolutely nothing confirmed or announced in this regard.
In the newest Maschine version they support the VST3 version of Super 8. It is early support for the format as a whole.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3250
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
In the newest Maschine version they support the VST3 version of Super 8. It is early support for the format as a whole.
yes but nowhere there is an official NI confirmation or roadmap on upcoming VST3 support.

So officially we're still in the dark...
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3251
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
it's clear that for the last few years the focus was definitely NOT on software like Maschine and Traktor. We can only guess why. Maybe lack of experienced developers, maybe different focus, who knows.

But Traktor got a new release, with long outstanding features (to little to late, but anyway), and Maschine+ surfaced, and Clips appeared. So who knows if things can be put right.

If a Steve Jobs type would come in, he or she would start cutting products immediately, and only have the company focus on it's most important 2 or 3 products, and work from there. I guess Traktor still has some live in it, Maschine is now revived with the M+, and we have Kontakt and all it's sample-libraries. All other stuff would probably be cut away, one could argue that Reaktor is a core engineering platform to quickly develop new instruments and effects for the ecosystem, but to me it would make more sense to outsource this business and focus on Kontakt, Maschine and Traktor.
Weren't they actually trying to sell off their Traktor division? I think read that somewhere.As for Machine+ being revived. Maschine is always "revived" when they release something new. NI is very good at hype. They make sure to get their products to right youtubers, blogs etc early. The real question is are customers actually buying it. NI would have had us believe the the Jam was the most popular thing they've made when that came out, obviously that was far from the truth.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3252
Gear Maniac
 

Is really NI to blame when finally not enough people bought it?Of course,theres hype before.Probably they were really convinced from the product but the market not so much...?I don't see much differences to many other companies here.just now thinking about the - to me - dissapointing AFX station.Mostly disappointed because of the huge hot air marketing.And i do like Novation very much.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3253
Lives for gear
 

Still loving my Plus. Love love love it.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3254
Lives for gear
 

Dunno... using Traktor (2.8.x) with X1 mk2 and Audio4DJ for a long long time, really love it. Also love the Maschine mk3... They can deliver the goods. But software and the ecosystem needs to be maintained, and dopping good working hardware because of Apple updates is also not a good thing. So there is hope..
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3255
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
You can have 8 ins and 8 outs on maschine. Akai users, I am one, wish you could use class compliant interfaces. Why use Akai converters if I could run my old Lynx aurora? Wish I still had it.
I'm late to the party ... I have the Cranborne 500R8 interface ... are you saying that I can just connect it to Maschine+ with a USB cable & then run 8 tracks in/out of Maschine+ through my 500 series front-end?

I'm browsing the 200+ page manual now & there's no obvious mention of being able to connect an external audio interface. TIA for any help!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3256
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdvb View Post
I'm late to the party ... I have the Cranborne 500R8 interface ... are you saying that I can just connect it to Maschine+ with a USB cable & then run 8 tracks in/out of Maschine+ through my 500 series front-end?

I'm browsing the 200+ page manual now & there's no obvious mention of being able to connect an external audio interface. TIA for any help!
most linux / class-compliant audio device should be detected and "mostly" working...

online i found this info for your cranborne, so give it a try by usb:
"MacOS X Configuration
As 500R8 is Class Complaint, it will connect directly with your Apple device and be instantly
recognised as an audio device from within the “A"
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3257
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmatteo View Post
most linux / class-compliant audio device should be detected and "mostly" working...

online i found this info for your cranborne, so give it a try by usb:
"MacOS X Configuration
As 500R8 is Class Complaint, it will connect directly with your Apple device and be instantly
recognised as an audio device from within the “A"
Always been intrigued by the Maschine line but since I do more ambient-oriented music, it seemed a rough fit. But the ability to quickly & seamlessly record/sample synths going through my 500 gear without stopping my flow is really turning me on.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3258
Lives for gear
I’m sure this has been asked already, but where in the SD card do I put sounds I’ve made on the computer with Massive and FM8?

This is my first time using those plugins (well VST in general) and they seem pretty cool. Massive is quite similar in function to my Blofeld, but this is my first time using an FM synth, but I’ve gotten things figured out like setting up carriers and modulators and feedback using the FM matrix. I’ve mostly been making whacky pad sounds with both so far and they seem to be pretty capable actually.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3259
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
I’m sure this has been asked already, but where in the SD card do I put sounds I’ve made on the computer with Massive and FM8?

This is my first time using those plugins (well VST in general) and they seem pretty cool. Massive is quite similar in function to my Blofeld, but this is my first time using an FM synth, but I’ve gotten things figured out like setting up carriers and modulators and feedback using the FM matrix. I’ve mostly been making whacky pad sounds with both so far and they seem to be pretty capable actually.
In"user" create folder called Massive and FM8.Drop your sounds there
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3260
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
ouch....reeks like a legacy codebase that is so hard and expensive to maintain it kills of product-owners/managers because the team isn't able to deliver new features with a steady heartbeat and quality. I know, i've been there before, several times. It's tough...

On the other hand, the new Clips feature might be an indication that things can be turned around. Let's see what happens, we should see 1 or 2 new features coming up in the upcoming non-patch releases...
Just for some more history and context, when NI completely ditched Maschine v1 software, it was with the big huhaa that they were doing it because v2 was designed from the ground up tobe much easier and faster to update going forward, they then (by their own admission) abandonded maschine updates for three years, then they wanted to sell Jam, so they apologised and made more promises (they didnt keep)

This clips mode existed in beta many years ago, its not new (apparently this isn't true according to a poster here that was telling all the amazing NI hype n stuff before release, and has now dissappeared, surprise surprise)

Traktor is for sale, Allen & Heath the last company linked to a purchase a few months ago.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3261
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdvb View Post
Always been intrigued by the Maschine line but since I do more ambient-oriented music, it seemed a rough fit. But the ability to quickly & seamlessly record/sample synths going through my 500 gear without stopping my flow is really turning me on.
WHAAATTT??????? the Maschine to me feels like the ultimate ambient powerhouse. With all the amazing sound generation tools, especially the generative ones from Reaktor ensembles, the powerful arpeggiator combined with chords and note-performance, huge shimmer effects makes this thing really shine in soundscape/ambient territory...



my 2cents
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3262
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olafmol View Post
WHAAATTT??????? the Maschine to me feels like the ultimate ambient powerhouse. With all the amazing sound generation tools, especially the generative ones from Reaktor ensembles, the powerful arpeggiator combined with chords and note-performance, huge shimmer effects makes this thing really shine in soundscape/ambient territory...



my 2cents
can the snapshots be recorded into the new clips mode as editable data?

can the snapshots now include tempo information?
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3263
Lives for gear
So for owners what is the verdict?

Love it?
Like it?
Disappointed???
Old 4 weeks ago
  #3264
Gear Maniac
 

I love it but i still scratch the surface.So many possibilities in a standalone box and the sounds/presets are really good (especially the expansion packs).I did not try to arrange with it yet but thats next on my list.I bought the MPC One literally a few days before M+ and returned the one and never looked back.There were other aspects i liked about the One (automation,chord progression,"real" audiotracks that you can cut/copy and place on the timeline as you want...) but it felt more like work while M+ feels like an instrument that inspires me to play and get creative with it.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3265
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmq75 View Post
M+ feels like an instrument that inspires me to play and get creative with it.

At the end of the day thats what these things are all about...I settle for playability over features any day
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3266
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esla View Post
So for owners what is the verdict?

Love it?
Like it?
Disappointed???
Love it.

I have been on the MPC/Force platform for over 3 years.

I definitely agree that it feels more like an instrument to me.
The important thing to note is that the MPC and Akai Force are no less of an instrument. It's all just personal taste and I'm really enjoying learning the new format.
I also like using it in controller mode. I never liked that with the MPC's. Just a matter of taste.

Now, for the negative:
I could complain about lack of CV out's and not enough I/O, but.....
It launched with functional usb midi so 1 midi din does not bother me and you can use almost all class compliant usb audio interfaces with maschine+

What sucks is the file management for user samples in standalone. This needs to be addressed and many think it will. I would certainly advise to buy it for what it does now though and not what it will do in the future.

I sold my MPC One to help purchase the Maschine+ and I held on to my Force for a while, but I've just sold that for more modular if that is saying anything.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3267
Lives for gear
 
jm2c's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZero View Post
Love it.

I have been on the MPC/Force platform for over 3 years.

I definitely agree that it feels more like an instrument to me.
The important thing to note is that the MPC and Akai Force are no less of an instrument. It's all just personal taste and I'm really enjoying learning the new format.
I also like using it in controller mode. I never liked that with the MPC's. Just a matter of taste.

Now, for the negative:
I could complain about lack of CV out's and not enough I/O, but.....
It launched with functional usb midi so 1 midi din does not bother me and you can use almost all class compliant usb audio interfaces with maschine+

What sucks is the file management for user samples in standalone. This needs to be addressed and many think it will. I would certainly advise to buy it for what it does now though and not what it will do in the future.

I sold my MPC One to help purchase the Maschine+ and I held on to my Force for a while, but I've just sold that for more modular if that is saying anything.
I've been thinking about selling my force too
But nah, I've held onto it all this time since its introduction.. paid the higher price and everything, I'll hold onto it until M+ catches up with the most important features (better MIDI handling, file management improvements, improved macro system).. But after that it might be going, they will have too much overlap by then.

Also agree on what you said, force aint nothing to sneer at, but I just prefer the haptics & UI of M+.. feels more like using an Elektron box than the Akai's, and I've always loved writing on those
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3268
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
I've been thinking about selling my force too
But nah, I've held onto it all this time since its introduction.. paid the higher price and everything, I'll hold onto it until M+ catches up with the most important features (better MIDI handling, file management improvements, improved macro system).. But after that it might be going, they will have too much overlap by then.

Also agree on what you said, force aint nothing to sneer at, but I just prefer the haptics & UI of M+.. feels more like using an Elektron box than the Akai's, and I've always loved writing on those
I aslo payed the high price for Force. I bought it as soon as it was released and even sold my MPC X for it.

I have hardly anything negative to say about Akai Force at this point. I only have room for one main brain (sampling drum machine/sequencer) and I'm having too much fun on Maschine+ to care about it's shortcomings atm.

I have no real intentions on releasing records or making a dime out of music production. I am, however, very passionate about it as a hobby and love music so having a studio is a bit therapeutic for me and the Maschine+ is helping me have fun.
Also, I like breakbeats and the MPC/Force can't quite compete there IMO.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3269
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Just for some more history and context, when NI completely ditched Maschine v1 software, it was with the big huhaa that they were doing it because v2 was designed from the ground up tobe much easier and faster to update going forward, they then (by their own admission) abandonded maschine updates for three years, then they wanted to sell Jam, so they apologised and made more promises (they didnt keep)

This clips mode existed in beta many years ago, its not new (apparently this isn't true according to a poster here that was telling all the amazing NI hype n stuff before release, and has now dissappeared, surprise surprise)

Traktor is for sale, Allen & Heath the last company linked to a purchase a few months ago.
You’re taking about me here. I’m here. I’m reading and watching you continue to be misinformed and frankly unhelpful. Very sad.

Anyway, I’m not posting a ton because I’m busy making music and enjoying my Plus (and the new Force update - though the Maschine is better). It is truly an awesome device.

And the current clip mode and the previous clip mode are not the same. The implementation is different in many ways.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3270
Here for the gear
 

Hello does anybody find a deck saver that fit the + ?
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 74 views: 24559
Avatar for Jeezo
Jeezo 15th September 2020
replies: 50 views: 6168
Avatar for Lazer Toms
Lazer Toms 8th December 2016
replies: 7209 views: 562601
Avatar for Jamie munro
Jamie munro 2 hours ago
replies: 850 views: 53569
Avatar for realtrance
realtrance 1 week ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump