The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Maschine standalone - Maschine+ is here!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

I pulled it out and hooked it up last night. It's a very powerful machine with lots of lights and its capable of all sorts of things. ...none of which I have any idea how to use. lol. I figured it was just an MPC with different vernacular, but there's a learning curve to this thing. It's gonna take a while to really wrap my head around this monster. But again, lots of pretty colors!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

i think Maschine and its software are some of the most intuitive gear i’ve ever used, i don’t know if i’ve ever even read the manual.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
i think Maschine and its software are some of the most intuitive gear i’ve ever used, i don’t know if i’ve ever even read the manual.
It's a well known and thoroughly-documented fact that no member of GearSlutz is as intelligent as you, so what do you expect?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think you could read the manual from 11 years ago and pretty much get it
Gear Addict
I learned Maschine from Maschinetutorials.com and Maschinemasters.com
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just a heads up. NI has posted some new knowledgebase articles regarding the M+. If you've been experiencing the "no audio output from Reaktor plugin on project reload", you might want to check this one, might be related to the problem:

https://support.native-instruments.c...-MASCHINE-PLUS

Accordign to NI support, this botched PRISM authorization issue might also manifest for Reaktor content inside M+. Worth a shot.

NI also seems to have made some sort of troubleshooting "wizard" for the M+:
https://support.native-instruments.c...Wizard-WIZARD-

Also stated by NI reps: A new firmware update is coming soon, and should contain fixes for some of the issues early adopters have encountered.
Old 4 weeks ago
Kja
Lives for gear
If you buy something after launch, are you really a early adapter?? I thought that meant you got it earlier usually??
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
If you buy something after launch, are you really a early adapter?? I thought that meant you got it earlier usually??
I 2020, you are an early adopter for far longer than anyone likes to admit. Its just the way it is these days..

Also, AFAIK, in marketing lingo, "early adopters" are the segment of people who first start using a new product once it launches. Other people only usually start using a product once it has existed long enough to form a "reputation" among the early adopters, and if this is favourable, others will follow.

And hey, lets not forget that M+ hasnt even been out a full month yet
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato View Post
I’m just going to start fresh tomorrow and figure out if there’s some way to do a factory reset because mine just is not working right at all. I can hear the sounds fine in the browser but as soon as I load the sound and go to the group view the pad goes completely silent when I hit it.
I also had to factory reset once - had the same problems you descrive even after updating to the lates firmware after the unit arrived.

Then I did the factory reset - updated the firmware again - now it works. Occasionally crashes that I can' reproduce happened after that - but only once or twice.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skekTek View Post
I also had to factory reset once - had the same problems you descrive even after updating to the lates firmware after the unit arrived.

Then I did the factory reset - updated the firmware again - now it works. Occasionally crashes that I can' reproduce happened after that - but only once or twice.
Did you lose the content of your SD card and have to re download everything?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kja View Post
Early adopter is within a year of releases these days.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStep ATL View Post
Early adopter is within a year of releases these days.
Agreed. I'm rarely an early adopter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin View Post
They do not fit, not even close. I ordered a 512 GB card. I think I can use a computer to copy from the old card to the new card - at least I hope so, because downloading is painfully slow.
FM8 and other plugins are stored in the internal memory, apparently. I installed a 512 GB card and re-downloaded all the expansions from Komplete 13 Collectors Edition and it took up about 130 GB on the card, which is a Samsung "EVO" micro SD card and included SD adapter.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I found out that if I have the M+ set to load the last project I was working on by default, then the crashes I experience while the M+ is idling more or less become a non-issue as long as I save my project regularly. Hopefully an update takes care of these random idling crashes soon, but I can live with it in the meantime.

I also got the MIDI DIN input working last time I used my M+. I had the PSU unplugged but the USB (and MIDI input as well) was connected to my MPC Live 2 and when I started the MPC the M+ booted in what I believe was controller mode (power light was orange), then I plugged in the PSU, held the power button so it would reboot in standalone, unplugged the USB, and once it rebooted the MIDI input started working fine. No idea why the MIDI DIN input didn’t work before but did afterward is beyond my knowledge, but I’m happy it was working.

Using just the step sequencer on the M+ reminds me of using my Teenage Engineering Pocket Operators, so it’s sort of like a giant super pocket operator, or more appropriately, the P.O. series are kind of like single Maschine Groups in hardware.
Lives for gear

With each passing day, the M+ is looking more like a contemporary DNB head's wet dream Dark, Techsteppy stuff just oozes out of it

I haven't been making this sort of music myself earlier, but I'm really getting into it. Got some of the Reese making basics down already and am progressing to the FSU processors next.

Any recommendations for a decent Reaktor ensemble that can do cool realtime breakcore stuff like the venerable Smartelectronix LiveCut did? I think it was based on some SuperCollider patch originally, junglified any break you threw at it.. I know you can use the performance stutter fx in M+ to do a bit of jungling, but I'm talking about more hardcore glitching here..

I'm sure someone has made a cool Reaktor ens which does that to incoming audio, it's just a matter of finding it and getting it to run on the M+

All suggestions are welcome
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
With each passing day, the M+ is looking more like a contemporary DNB head's wet dream Dark, Techsteppy stuff just oozes out of it
You are joking, right ?
We resample all the time, especially when making basses, and the M+ has absolutely no user file organisation, unless they have updated it rapidly since release, it was just sticking everything in one big folder, that is literally a DnB producers worst nightmare.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
You are joking, right ?
We resample all the time, especially when making basses, and the M+ has absolutely no user file organisation, unless they have updated it rapidly since release, it was just sticking everything in one big folder, that is literally a DnB producers worst nightmare.
Why resample when you've got pretty much everything you need for running stuff in realtime? I mean I know many people do but is it absolutely mandatory? I don't see why I couldn't just let synth instances do the sounds without having to turn everything into audio.. isn't that going to make modulating the patches and plocking etc a PITA?

Not sure I'm into workflows like Icicle shows in his videos where he just makes long oodles, passes them to audio and chops it up in Kontakt.. I'd like to keep synths sounds malleable instead.

Anyways, found this one, NKS ready and everything.. No idea how terrible it'll be to use without a GUI but guess I'll know soon enough

https://www.native-instruments.com/e...ry/show/11093/
Here for the gear

Quote:
Anyways, found this one, NKS ready and everything
too much for the cpu :(
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leichenschmaus View Post
too much for the cpu :(
Too bad. Will keep on looking, although I found myself distracted on the WWW again, just read that Moving Shadow is coming back from hiatus on Nov1 New records are coming!!

apologies, carry on
Gear Nut

Is there a way to not have all the samples in the user folder not show up in one giant list? I installed a larger SD card yesterday and dragged a few folders of samples in. I get one giant list of 15000 one shots when I browse on the hardware. Does importing them on the desktop first alleviate this? This is a huge flaw that must be addressed in an update.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdwash View Post
Is there a way to not have all the samples in the user folder not show up in one giant list? I installed a larger SD card yesterday and dragged a few folders of samples in. I get one giant list of 15000 one shots when I browse on the hardware. Does importing them on the desktop first alleviate this? This is a huge flaw that must be addressed in an update.
The files & folders implementation is terrible right now. Only way to keep your sanity with a bigger file/folder set is by making a custom library to your SD card in the maschine desktop software and tagging all your samples manually. Depending on the size of your library, this task can be considerably laborous.

I'm pretty sure the current system will be improved.
Gear Addict

I've read through some of this thread but am still left guessing about a few things.

If we have third party plug ins we are already using with our DAWs (Logic etc) can we transfer those plug ins the M+. Will it only accept NKS compatible plug ins?

I already have Komplete Bundle and a Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 keyboard - can you use them with M+ to achieve anything useful?

Anyone find they are maxing out the M+ CPU on any tracks yet? So far it seem quite capable!

If you are controlling a external synth with USB midi via M+, can you plug that synth's audio inputs into the M+ to include on a track?

Surely this isn't going to handle any serious large Kontakt libraries, like Spitfire orchestras etc?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c View Post
Why resample when you've got pretty much everything you need for running stuff in realtime? I mean I know many people do but is it absolutely mandatory? I don't see why I couldn't just let synth instances do the sounds without having to turn everything into audio.. isn't that going to make modulating the patches and plocking etc a PITA?

Not sure I'm into workflows like Icicle shows in his videos where he just makes long oodles, passes them to audio and chops it up in Kontakt.. I'd like to keep synths sounds malleable instead.

Anyways, found this one, NKS ready and everything.. No idea how terrible it'll be to use without a GUI but guess I'll know soon enough

https://www.native-instruments.com/e...ry/show/11093/
Good stuff, works for you, but that does not make it a contemporary DnB producers wet dream, it makes it your wet dream, trust me, I use Maschine daily for DnB and do a lot of sound design in it, M+ can't run standard DnB fair like OTT and if i tried to make one bass with built in plugins I would drag M+ to it's knees, a long time before moving past bass design, so it would need resampling.
We get it, you love your M+, and that is wonderful, but don't speak for the rest of us, just stick to yourself, that's who you bought for after all.
Gear Maniac

I wish it had more I/O.

Sounds great and has a fantastic user interface.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Good stuff, works for you, but that does not make it a contemporary DnB producers wet dream, it makes it your wet dream, trust me, I use Maschine daily for DnB and do a lot of sound design in it, M+ can't run standard DnB fair like OTT and if i tried to make one bass with built in plugins I would drag M+ to it's knees, a long time before moving past bass design, so it would need resampling.
We get it, you love your M+, and that is wonderful, but don't speak for the rest of us, just stick to yourself, that's who you bought for after all.
I make DNB and Hiphop/Breaks. Maschine+ doesnt seem to cut it. Like they give you option to use those sounds, but not being able to edit automation and such makes it useless more or less. I sorta want to go back to the VST world, but then i think about scolling through all those presets... just annoying. Ill stick with my Hardware for now. Wait for the next next vst to come out that pushes the limits like how serum did when it came out and massive when it came out.

I almost debate on buying another mpc for portability.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson View Post
I make DNB and Hiphop/Breaks. Maschine+ doesnt seem to cut it. Like they give you option to use those sounds, but not being able to edit automation and such makes it useless more or less. I sorta want to go back to the VST world, but then i think about scolling through all those presets... just annoying. Ill stick with my Hardware for now. Wait for the next next vst to come out that pushes the limits like how serum did when it came out and massive when it came out.

I almost debate on buying another mpc for portability.
I dont use presets for bass, so it doesn't bother me much, but I couldn't live without quality file handling, that would just not cut it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I didn't say anything about producers, I said "heads", to me that implies someone who is a fan of something. I don't consider myself a "DNB producer" (I never even use the word producer unless I'm talking about "real" producers who have budgets and mainly talk with people on zoom or on the phone all day - my GF is one ). If you need all that stuff, that's your perogative. What is OTT?

Everyone's needs are different. I've played a breakbeat/juke gig with two pocket operators and a modal SKULPT, and nobody complained about my incapable gear after the show. If I'm not mistaken I even got compliments about the show? But I am more than sure I could play a much more elaborate gig using M+.

I am not trying to convince anyone into buying the M+. I'm just expressing my enthusiasm and love for the box, is that against the forum rules or something?

EDIT: Oh, I see.. OTT by Xfer Records, a multiband compressor "used by many dubstep and electro producers" . And you are saying you can't "produce" without access to this plugin? Ok. Seems to me like you have already set your workflow in stone and only see what M+ is lacking from your established ways of working. Fair enough.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
If we have third party plug ins we are already using with our DAWs (Logic etc) can we transfer those plug ins the M+.
No.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveElbows View Post
No.
'Controller Mode:
NKS instruments and effects, Expansions, samples, and loops from Sounds.com, and any 3rd party VST + AU plug-ins '

https://www.native-instruments.com/e...-plus/compare/

what i didn't notice is it was in Controller Mode:only
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSEED View Post
'Controller Mode:
NKS instruments and effects, Expansions, samples, and loops from Sounds.com, and any 3rd party VST + AU plug-ins '

https://www.native-instruments.com/e...-plus/compare/

what i didn't notice is it was in Controller Mode:only
you also missed “obviously”, “of course”, “duhh”, and “what the hell would make you think that you could run 3rd party VST away from the computer?”
📝 Reply