The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland SR-JV80-XX Expansion Board by WaveReX
Old 7th September 2020
  #31
Lives for gear
 
tux99's Avatar
The XV2020 doesn't have a SR-JV80 card slot, only SRX card slots.
Old 8th September 2020
  #32
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Hah now that's pretty cool. My main reverb box is the SRV-330 along with an MPX500 for the 'clean' reverbs, and an SE50/70 for the dirtier early Roland/Boss verbs and effects. Was going to add an SRV-2000 at some point too for a dedicated 'grainy 80s' verb.

Definitely keep an eye out for the 880 now hehe. Man Im gonna have to get the 32 channel version of my Soundcraft soon now.
The SRV algos for reverb come from the SRV3030 it was Roland's Flagship studio mfx rack unit from the late 1990s

Of course the actual unit can do much much more. I have one and enjoy it. It's not a Lexicon PCM but has a great 1990s vibe. You will see a lot of people crap on it but my belief is they have the old firmware

There was a firmware update to the SRV3030 that greatly improved it not just feature wise but also sonically. There is a thread about on this forum

Since the XV5080 came out later my guess is it uses the newer firmware/algos as it sounds great
Old 8th September 2020
  #33
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle View Post
Rats! I have the XV2020 (got it on a good deal). Guess I'll have to go external reverb? The computer editor works, and it's got a great set (for me)o f third party patches. The Waverex could be quite useful....
The XV2020 uses the same 40 effects Chorus and Reverb that are in the JV1080

It's like having the XV series rom inside a JV1080
Old 8th September 2020
  #34
Lives for gear
 
becks bolero's Avatar
I'd be interested in anything JV-880 compatible
Old 8th September 2020
  #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Hah now that's pretty cool. My main reverb box is the SRV-330 along with an MPX500 for the 'clean' reverbs, and an SE50/70 for the dirtier early Roland/Boss verbs and effects. Was going to add an SRV-2000 at some point too for a dedicated 'grainy 80s' verb.
that's a nice combination of reverbs.

for old sounding grainy 80s complementary to your setup, also look at Lexicon LXP1 and LXP5. typical of old lexis, they envelope the source signal and push it into space. which many reverbs fail to do. for ultimate in lofi gritt and cheap, check Korg DRV1000, Dynacord DRP16 and Alesis Midiverb 1. just make sure they work first

SRV330 is really great sounding reverb. imo it sounds much better than it costs.




@ grasspike : i don't think 3030 was ever envisioned as a flagship, none of the SRV line were. they price range was geared to compete with TC M2k/3k serie, and Lexicon PCM serie at a stretch. original retail was arround a grand. alas Roland discontinued it swiftly bcs of poor sales - actually that's when i grabbed mine brand new, as they were blowing them out for cpl of hundred.

(only Roland flagship i know of is R880+GC8, which i had for a year on loan from a studio partner. magnificently smooth and expensive sounding, also has that Roland clean/coldish streak, but arguably the nicest iteration of it)



that said, mega intriguing about the 3030 firmware you mention. back then i really found it bland, and unconvincing and sold it after 2 yrs. are there any nice demos you could link that feature new firmware?
Old 8th September 2020
  #36
Awesome so the 3080 will have its own flavor of effects and reverb when I need it! The 330 came out the year I graduated so early 90s and things moved pretty quick up until the time the 3030/3080 came out. Those Ill actually use unlike the effects in my Waldorfs haha.

Not to stray too far OT but was there a companion delay that came out with the 3030? The SRV-330 had the SDE-330 and the mod effects SDX-330. Ive got an SDE-1000 handling dedicated lo-fi delays (its basically my dotted/triplet dub echo send) but I need to get a nice dedicated digital delay for everything else..
Old 8th September 2020
  #37
Gear Nut
I'm keen as well - not on Facebook so can't respond there.
Old 8th September 2020
  #38
Lives for gear
 

This may be a practical, ‘cost-efficient’ and safe way (blowing capacitors anyone? ) to get access to all the jv expansions, some of which are still pretty expensive on the 2nd hand market. That may cool down the collectors itch some of us have. I am personally not that interested in putting in new samples, but who knows what cheap or free packs people may come up with.

I am still tempted at the similar card for the TG77 since there is an RCM dimension to that, but I kept talking myself out of it since I probably end up using it less than I’d hope or initially intend.

In any event, it’s great that these kind of technologies open up new possibilities to run samples through older devices and get their flavor / character applied to it!
Old 8th September 2020
  #39
Gear Nut
 
aumgn's Avatar
 

can anyone think of any more candidates for these cards ?

My only gripe is that i would like to see a Pcm / waverex card that could hold every single korg m1 rom card for instance and all the Sr jv cards in one hit....selectable or something......

Greedy i know....
Old 8th September 2020
  #40
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
@ grasspike : i don't think 3030 was ever envisioned as a flagship, none of the SRV line were. they price range was geared to compete with TC M2k/3k serie, and Lexicon PCM serie at a stretch. original retail was arround a grand. alas Roland discontinued it swiftly bcs of poor sales - actually that's when i grabbed mine brand new, as they were blowing them out for cpl of hundred.

(only Roland flagship i know of is R880+GC8, which i had for a year on loan from a studio partner. magnificently smooth and expensive sounding, also has that Roland clean/coldish streak, but arguably the nicest iteration of it)



that said, mega intriguing about the 3030 firmware you mention. back then i really found it bland, and unconvincing and sold it after 2 yrs. are there any nice demos you could link that feature new firmware?
I guess the term "Flagship" means different things to different people

To me it simply means the best product by a manufacturer at a given time

The current Flagship Synth Product for Roland is the Jupiter X, ten years ago was the Jupiter 80

Are either of those as impactful or well loved as the Jupiter 8, D50, or even JV1080 nope, but at the time all were flagship products

I am not aware of any Demos of the SRV 3030 with the new firmware. It's not a character reverb, it's not a thick syrupy Reverb like a Lexicon, and its not grainy or Low-Fi. It's just a clean polite reverb that doesn't draw attention to itself. Which is why it was a great choice for the XV line

I use them as part of Live Sound Production sounds great on Vocals, Acoustic Guitars, and Toms

Since I own XV3080, XV5080, and XV5050 it's already represented in my keyboard studio rig, so I don't have it there
Old 8th September 2020
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by aumgn View Post
can anyone think of any more candidates for these cards ?
Look at the workstations from those timeframes, they also used the expansion cards.

I think it’s the JV-80/90 and XP-50/60/80.
Old 8th September 2020
  #42
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
The JV880 also has high end analog components
Just curious, which are those high end components that you are referring to?
Old 8th September 2020
  #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Just curious, which are those high end components that you are referring to?
It has a dose of unicorn hair, fairy dust, and maidens tears at the factory. You know the necessary stuff that makes things vintage.

For real, it looks allot like the main JD-990 PCB layout. Probably designed from the same teams at Roland.mI’ve only seen photos after looking from the same comment. My guess is they both use the same chips all the other Roland gear did at that time.
Old 8th September 2020
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
I am not aware of any Demos of the SRV 3030 with the new firmware. It's not a character reverb, it's not a thick syrupy Reverb like a Lexicon, and its not grainy or Low-Fi. It's just a clean polite reverb that doesn't draw attention to itself. Which is why it was a great choice for the XV line
suppose its a case of horses for courses.

i also have some polite and clean reverbs, but that one definitely wasn't for me.
Old 8th September 2020
  #45
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Just curious, which are those high end components that you are referring to?
You work for Roland get the service manual talk to the engineers

It might help you learn and understand how it works and answer this for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
[

Why does this synth sound so phenomenal?

It's like a soundtrack generator.
Or this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
JV-80 covers more low end and more high end of the frequency spectra than 1080. Maybe it was just a naive old design, or maybe a flaw in design. Whatever it is i like the way it sounds.
There are a lot of similarities on the analog output stage between the JV880 and the JV990
Old 8th September 2020
  #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
You work for Roland get the service manual talk to the engineers

It might help you learn and understand how it works and answer this for you
Pardon my question, but how would that make me know whether is it made with high end components? Schematics typically list generic components, and how a circuit works, not whether it is made of low grade or high end components.
Old 8th September 2020
  #47
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Pardon my question, but how would that make me know whether is it made with high end components? Schematics typically list generic components, and how a circuit works, not whether it is made of low grade or high end components.
Which is why I said get the service manual (which is quite detailed) AND talk to the Roland Engineers

You work for Roland you have resources available to you most people don't so take advantage of them

I have seen the service manual and have the actual unit and have taken a look myself as I do with all my gear

It's a high quality design made with high end quality parts and has a lot of similarities in both design and parts to the JD990

Put the Vintage Card in the JD990, the JV880 and the JV1080 leave the filters wide open and turn off the effects

You can hear the difference with your own ears. Why do you think that is when it's the same digital samples played on very similar engines sans filter and effects?
Old 8th September 2020
  #48
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Which is why I said get the service manual (which is quite detailed) AND talk to the Roland Engineers
But I have the service manual right here. And I am trying to understand your comment: "JV880 also has high end analog components".

Did you mean that as some kind of a joke or a sarcasm?

Because JV-880 has only 5 types of operational amplifiers on the mainboard (board which deals with audio). Let's go to Mouser website and quickly check prices for a few of them: 2082M op-amp = $0.23, NJM4565MD = $0.189, NJM072 = $0.189, etc. I won't even bother listing the prices of "analog components" like resistors, transistors and capacitors which occupy the rest of the audio path since these are probably even cheaper.
Old 8th September 2020
  #49
Lives for gear
 
tux99's Avatar
@ Don Solaris you forgot to factor in the cost of the fairy dust!
Old 8th September 2020
  #50
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
But I have the service manual right here. And I am trying to understand your comment: "JV880 also has high end analog components".

Did you mean that as some kind of a joke or a sarcasm?

Because JV-880 has only 5 types of operational amplifiers on the mainboard (board which deals with audio). Let's go to Mouser website and quickly check prices for a few of them: 2082M op-amp = $0.23, NJM4565MD = $0.189, NJM072 = $0.189, etc. I won't even bother listing the prices of "analog components" like resistors, transistors and capacitors which occupy the rest of the audio path since these are probably even cheaper.
Gotcha so once again you as a Representative and Employee of Roland proudly displaying such in your signature are going out of your way to troll and be a jerk to a Roland Fan and Customer. What a fantastic look for you and your employer!! Great job you must be so proud of yourself!!!

And thank you so much for pointing out what these components cost in 2020. Now pull up the prices on current Roland products so you can slam your employer for charging thousands of dollars for a bunch of parts that cost a few cents!

Now go back and pull up prices from 30 years ago then reference everything else that was available then do a cost benefit analysis of every option then post your results

Looking forward to your expertise, and thank you for representing Roland so well!!! You must do them all proud in Japan!!

Edit:and sorry for my sin and depravity of stating that your employer uses quality parts, how terrible of me to praise the company you work for
Old 9th September 2020
  #51
Gear Nut
 

Interested in buying this Waverex card for JD - not on facebook
Old 9th September 2020
  #52
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangobob View Post
Interested in buying this Waverex card for JD - not on facebook
Same
Old 9th September 2020
  #53
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangobob View Post
Interested in buying this Waverex card for JD - not on facebook
Same, although on FB you probably don't have Roland Employees like @ Don solaris going out of their way and going totally off topic to disprove the idea that Roland uses quality parts
Old 9th September 2020
  #54
If this could get a new set of samples into my JD990, it could be super interesting. (Not that 990 isn't great already ... )

Pete
Old 9th September 2020
  #55
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Gotcha so once again you as a Representative and Employee of Roland proudly displaying such in your signature are going out of your way to troll and be a jerk to a Roland Fan and Customer. What a fantastic look for you and your employer!! Great job you must be so proud of yourself!!!
<snip rest of unintentionally ironic message>
Could you maybe take your beef with Don Solaris to PM's instead of polluting various threads with it?
Old 9th September 2020
  #56
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh View Post
Could you maybe take your beef with Don Solaris to PM's instead of polluting various threads with it?
Says the guy who posted here instead of sending me a PM?
Old 9th September 2020
  #57
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Gotcha so once again you as a Representative and Employee of Roland proudly displaying such in your signature are going out of your way to troll and be a jerk to a Roland Fan and Customer. What a fantastic look for you and your employer!! Great job you must be so proud of yourself!!!

And thank you so much for pointing out what these components cost in 2020. Now pull up the prices on current Roland products so you can slam your employer for charging thousands of dollars for a bunch of parts that cost a few cents!

Now go back and pull up prices from 30 years ago then reference everything else that was available then do a cost benefit analysis of every option then post your results

Looking forward to your expertise, and thank you for representing Roland so well!!! You must do them all proud in Japan!!

Edit:and sorry for my sin and depravity of stating that your employer uses quality parts, how terrible of me to praise the company you work for
I honestly don't understand what are you saying. You claimed YOU opened JV-880 and saw high quality parts inside. I have politely asked if you could show those high-quality parts.

Instead of answering my simple question, you completely changed the subject ("hey, go talk to engineers!"), and then when I asked you again, you moved to a personal attack against me. I don't understand. Why not just answer to the simple question?
Old 9th September 2020
  #58
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
I honestly don't understand what are you saying. You claimed YOU opened JV-880 and saw high quality parts inside. I have politely asked if you could show those high-quality parts.

Instead of answering my simple question, you completely changed the subject ("hey, go talk to engineers!"), and then when I asked you again, you moved to a personal attack against me. I don't understand. Why not just answer to the simple question?
Again Don, I greatly apologize for stating that Roland your employer used high end quality parts in the JV-880

Thank you for going out of your way to challenge that go WAY off topic and prove me wrong. Even going as far as to look up prices for those parts.

Please forgive me for praising your employer on a public forum. It was wrong and shameful of me to even suggest that the design and the parts used in the JV-880 were quality

Thank you so much for bringing to my attention just how wrong I was, clearly as you proved Roland would never use quality parts.
Old 9th September 2020
  #59
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
Says the guy who posted here instead of sending me a PM?
I did so because you come across as the kind of person where a PM would have had zero effect. Clearly a public message also does not work, which mostly tells other posters a lot of things (none good) about you personally, especially considering you then continue the same behaviour.
Old 9th September 2020
  #60
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh View Post
I did so because you come across as the kind of person where a PM would have had zero effect. Clearly a public message also does not work, which mostly tells other posters a lot of things (none good) about you personally, especially considering you then continue the same behaviour.
All I did was tell a fellow Roland Rompler Enthusiast that the JV-880 sounds great and uses quality parts. Which was on topic for this thread about a new SR-JV card for use in synths like the JV-880 that take them

Don decided to challenge that assertion. I deflected by stating since he works for Roland he should ask them for the information, since based his past behavior I knew he was just trolling. He kept at it

Yet it's my fault? I didn't do anything and tried to stay out of it. Certainly I didn't start anything
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 627 views: 100158
Avatar for damoog
damoog 27th April 2019
replies: 99 views: 27796
Avatar for Don Solaris
Don Solaris 6 days ago
replies: 443 views: 46573
Avatar for Don Solaris
Don Solaris 5th September 2020
replies: 5216 views: 423330
Avatar for alfiedotwtf
alfiedotwtf 8 hours ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump