The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
September 2020 New Gear Thread
Old 19th September 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tales41 View Post
I got a new one about 5 years ago. Never heard about that problem before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_zone View Post
Just got it. No noise with mine. A budget, but capable and useful, alternative to Strymon and Eventide boxes.
To be used on my synths. It will be stationary, which is why I got a (non-USB) power supply.
Sounds good - maybe those were isolated incidents. Which power supply did you go with - is there an official Zoom one? I try to avoid USB power and would rather not use batteries.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrecklessEyeball View Post
Sounds good - maybe those were isolated incidents. Which power supply did you go with - is there an official Zoom one? I try to avoid USB power and would rather not use batteries.
I had a 1 Spot daisy chain power supply.
Old 19th September 2020
Lives for gear

September 2020 New Gear Thread-yamaha-rx21l.jpg

Was playing around with some samples of the RX21L in Redrum in Reason and found a super cheap one on Ebay. Will go great with my TR-8.

Thinking I'm gonna have it going through my Elextrix Filter Queen for some filtered percussion goodness. Add some overdrive from one of my mixers and smash it through a delay and
Attached Thumbnails
September 2020 New Gear Thread-yamaha-rx21l.jpg  
Lives for gear

I’ve been making final feathering of my command center nest and needed my newer iPad and old iPhone that I indeed utilize via midi w a korg plugkey on each, to Be in a more ergonomic positions so a mic stand Was eventually going to be needed anyway because my RC 505 is also in the vicinity and got these handy clips to attach to the mic stand all tidy
Attached Thumbnails
September 2020 New Gear Thread-476fcca6-01cb-462f-8a41-907b02a92f37.jpg   September 2020 New Gear Thread-79574672-d8d5-4352-81eb-988272e0b96b.jpg   September 2020 New Gear Thread-966e7b46-d18e-4f5a-b7d0-9cd0e8f82a98.jpg   September 2020 New Gear Thread-image_4229_0.jpg  

Last edited by namnibor; 20th September 2020 at 03:40 AM..
Gear Maniac

it was about time, i enter the elektron-world
Attached Thumbnails
September 2020 New Gear Thread-1cbe7130-365f-4b83-b1a7-72ff07ee7ced.jpg  
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflt View Post
it was about time, i enter the elektron-world
What took you so long bro!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got 2 vintage rack effects by the likes of DigiTech (GSP-5) + matching FS300 foot controller and Yamaha (SPX90 ll)...
Wow. The GSP-5 effects unit sounds way better than I thought, running an effects loop on mixer. The distortion and amp voices are great, with absolutely no loss of low frequencies. Paired with an MS-1 is super cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post

Was playing around with some samples of the RX21L in Redrum in Reason and found a super cheap one on Ebay. Will go great with my TR-8 . . .
So I should keep my like-new Yamaha QX-5 that I bought in 1986?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 View Post
So I should keep my like-new Yamaha QX-5 that I bought in 1986?
No the QX-5 looks to be a nightmare to work with. lol

I'm sure I can figure out the RX21L... though I've never really made sense of Yamaha manuals. I figure I'll just smash buttons in reatime record mode with quantize on 16ths. lol
Lives for gear

Quote:
No the QX-5 looks to be a nightmare to work with. lol

I'm sure I can figure out the RX21L... though I've never really made sense of Yamaha manuals. I figure I'll just smash buttons in reatime record mode with quantize on 16ths. lol
I had the other RX21 for like 5 minutes. I cut my teeth on Roland x0x box programming and I just couldn't deal with the Yamaha way.

My co-worker had a QX5 back in the day and I really couldn't grok it at all! These days, I could probably use one, but I'd be thinking about Dr T's...

Funny cuz my first keyboard was the DX21 and I got very used to reading tiny, dark LCD readouts and mashing chiclet buttons.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica View Post
I had the other RX21 for like 5 minutes. I cut my teeth on Roland x0x box programming and I just couldn't deal with the Yamaha way.

My co-worker had a QX5 back in the day and I really couldn't grok it at all! These days, I could probably use one, but I'd be thinking about Dr T's...

Funny cuz my first keyboard was the DX21 and I got very used to reading tiny, dark LCD readouts and mashing chiclet buttons.
Yeah that's why I'm just gonna mess around with the realtime record mode and smash random drum pads. lol
Lives for gear

Quote:
No the QX-5 looks to be a nightmare to work with.
Got the QX 21. Simple to use. Like to get their better QX 3.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got the QX 21. Simple to use. Like to get their better QX 3.
I just use an Alesis MMT-8 for my hardware sequencing needs.
Old 20th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post

Call me slutty, but I may just have to get a second freak for stereo paraphonic fun and layering.
I actually hope Arturia is working on a matrix freak on the slab down in the lab.
Fvkin SLUT!

My ((( stereo-poly-para-phonic ))) OG MF 4+4 got its first run last night and I'm really liking it so far. Just getting started, but the first stereo recording was really nice. Getting used to the PAT capacitance keybed will take some time, but it's brilliant.

Does a September PolyBrute pre-order count?

Attached Thumbnails
September 2020 New Gear Thread-arturia-polybrute-analog-morphing-synth_18.jpg   September 2020 New Gear Thread-_studio-pics_png-063-prophet-6-6-microfreak-4-4-.jpg  
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
What took you so long bro!
haha. a few years ago, i wanted to buy a rytm, but it wasn‘t available for a few months (mk2 was announced) so i just decided for a tanzbär... now i got a great offer on the digitakt and couldn‘t resist
HSi
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflt View Post
haha. a few years ago, i wanted to buy a rytm, but it wasn‘t available for a few months (mk2 was announced) so i just decided for a tanzbär... now i got a great offer on the digitakt and couldn‘t resist
It's an awesome little box, it might seem a bit basic at 1st glance, but the results are anything but basic.
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear
Yamaha were terrible at anything drum/groove for ages, briefly got good with rs7000 etc then gave up
Old 20th September 2020
Lives for gear
squarp rample
Gear Maniac

So, yesterday I went to the local electric components store to buy a few things I was missing, and I completed the build of a Velleman K8084 stereo preamplifier with bass and treble control (Baxandall eq) which I bought at the beginning of the month.

It's nothing fancy, but I wanted a simple eq box so I could boost the bass of my drum machines (I plan to use it on the TR-8S and sometimes on the Drumbrute) without having to use the low shelf of the channel of the the mixer (which does the job, but a dedicated box allows me to add other processing after the eq, or I can go eleven on the eq/preamp box and then compensate at the mixer input). This is a cheap kit meant for "hi-fi" use, but nothing stops me from using it for music making purposes.

While I kept the pair of NE-5532, which are more than ok for the task, I replaced the supplied resistors with 1% metallic film, I changed a few component values, I replaced the rca I/O with 1/4" jacks and I wired the I/O and controls offboard, so I could mount the kit on a nice metal box (which is a bit oversize, but I wanted to mount the power transformer inside the box). I also linked the right input to the left one, so the box works in a "mono to stereo" configuration if I connect only the left input.
The I/O are still unbalanced, even if I used jacks, but it's not an issue because I'll use this box as if it was a pedal (so I didn't bother adding an unbalancing / balancing I/O board).

I tried it with headphones (TR-09 -> K8084 -> ZED10 and AKG K141 MK2 for listening - by the way my pair of K141 are not in good shape nowadays) and it sounded ok...
Once I'll integrate it into my setup (not soon... my soundcard is currently in RMA so I'll wait for it to come back to reconnect all my gear) I'll figure out if I need to make additional modifications to the K8084 and if it's really up for the task... I'll probably upgrade the pots with better quality at some point (unless I'll leave them always at the same position and I'll use it as a "preset box", then I think it won't really matter)...

At the moment, I'm happy with the build.
Attached Thumbnails
September 2020 New Gear Thread-velleman-k8084.jpg  
Old 21st September 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSi View Post
It's an awesome little box, it might seem a bit basic at 1st glance, but the results are anything but basic.
yep, i love it so far (when used on it‘s own). still need to include it in my workflow though.
Old 22nd September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

today is the ̶D̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶Zoomsday!
also, with these two i completed my essential gear list.

September 2020 New Gear Thread-img_20200922_202744752_9x.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
September 2020 New Gear Thread-img_20200922_202744752_9x.jpg  
Old 22nd September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

These pics are not an advertisement of before/after erectile dysfunction but rather, this gooseneck and mic will be dedicated to my RC505, other one is on TC Helicon Perform-VE.
(Your results may vary, consult physician for mics remaining in position for 4 hrs or more on an empty stage)
Attached Thumbnails
September 2020 New Gear Thread-515327f5-e5e1-4b20-974f-d66f360fd8da.jpg   September 2020 New Gear Thread-21ebf074-271a-4951-8f2d-fa08df037e19.jpg   September 2020 New Gear Thread-c7a8f3d9-cb69-4b84-b43e-5708c02d30fe.jpeg  

Last edited by namnibor; 22nd September 2020 at 11:41 PM..
Old 23rd September 2020
Lives for gear

Picked up my SY99 on Sunday. Ah, I missed having 76 keys and the feel of the Yamaha FS action. That said, I'm a little disappointed at how the editors/librarians out there convert DX patches. While Bass 1, all-important for Italo Disco, sounds dead-on, E. Piano 1 just feels funny to me, and comparing the halves of DX5 presets to Dexed, it falls apart. And of course the usual dead floppy drive and backlight.

Under the influence of eBay Bonus Bucks, I bought a DSP4000. All I knew is that I wanted an Eventide Harmonizer of some sort. I already fear I made the wrong choice, getting the impression that it's the middle child lacking the H3000's warmth and the later units' power. That said, the DSP4000 I bought had the guitar and broadcast cards that contain the presets otherwise exclusive to the GTR4000 and DSP4000B respectively, and a badge on the back saying "Property of Eventide".
Old 23rd September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd View Post
Picked up my SY99 on Sunday. Ah, I missed having 76 keys and the feel of the Yamaha FS action. That said, I'm a little disappointed at how the editors/librarians out there convert DX patches. While Bass 1, all-important for Italo Disco, sounds dead-on, E. Piano 1 just feels funny to me, and comparing the halves of DX5 presets to Dexed, it falls apart. And of course the usual dead floppy drive and backlight.

Under the influence of eBay Bonus Bucks, I bought a DSP4000. All I knew is that I wanted an Eventide Harmonizer of some sort. I already fear I made the wrong choice, getting the impression that it's the middle child lacking the H3000's warmth and the later units' power. That said, the DSP4000 I bought had the guitar and broadcast cards that contain the presets otherwise exclusive to the GTR4000 and DSP4000B respectively, and a badge on the back saying "Property of Eventide".
Nice....”Property of Eventide”
Old 23rd September 2020
Lives for gear

Just picked up one of these bad boys, can't wait to get it home and drown in it...

Old 24th September 2020
Lives for gear

Idk Derp mentioned this need to buy the Blofeld over and over and got me mind a wondering (damn you Derp!!!). #2 for me this time it’s just the desktop. I bought Largo to fill the void and all it was doing was making me want a Blofeld again!
Old 24th September 2020
Lives for gear

My RX21L has arrived but I don't have it yet as I don't get home from work until after the post office closes (and I leave to go to work before it opens) and I can't pick it up except on Fridays or Saturdays when I'm off work.
Old 24th September 2020
Lives for gear

Untitled [/url], on Flickr

I know, not a synth, but I've had to try and behave lately, but I couldn't pass this up. I've been having really bad Tele GAS and was thinking it would be cool to build a Telecaster Deluxe and then this popped up. Looking for parts will keep me busy for a couple of months too.
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick fall View Post

I know, not a synth, but I've had to try and behave lately, but I couldn't pass this up. I've been having really bad Tele GAS and was thinking it would be cool to build a Telecaster Deluxe and then this popped up. Looking for parts will keep me busy for a couple of months too.
Or an Esquire. I love my 91 MIJ Esquire. Great attack. Luther Perkins

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...Esquire_Basics

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl..._Esquire_Tone_

Sorry... Telecasters are great but just food for thought. Cool project!
Old 24th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
My RX21L has arrived but I don't have it yet as I don't get home from work until after the post office closes (and I leave to go to work before it opens) and I can't pick it up except on Fridays or Saturdays when I'm off work.
I had one of those many moons ago, remember paying £25 for it, the poor man's TR-727.
📝 Reply